Are "non-prosessional" hair styes(dreads ect..) a minus in med scool and life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KRiv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are odd hair styles that sometimes stick out from the normal short cut business style not a good thing to have in medical in general? I'm not talking about hanging down dreads that are always in the way but the hair would always be tied back and never really be annoying. Is it really worth it to cut it off? I can see how patients can first go.. "oh, he's one of these hippie doctors" at first but that's life.

I know med schools are always looking for diverse people but not really sure if this is considered "something to make you stick out"?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that it is out of the question when you interview at different places. Once you get in, grow them dreads out.

I would say leave them in. If that is part of who you are and who you want to be then why change to impress someone on an admissions board. Like you said they live diversity and "different" types of people. I don't see why you should cut them off! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Professional today generally = neat, well-maintained, and attractive. I have seen dreads that meet those criteria, and some that are heinous (mostly on the drag in Austin, TX), with sticks & twigs & bugs and stuff. I think a stiff & shiny, old-school comb-over is more likely to hinder you these days than a pretty cowrie or two. That said, the more stylish one aspect of your appearance is, the more classic the others should be, to present an elegant, professional look (e.g. pretty dreads + subdued makeup, or bright tie + dark, 'normal-looking' suit).

I don't think you should get attached to a look as 'part of who you are,' you should empower yourself to use your appearance to make a desired impression. I mean, modesty or desire to floss are part of who you are, and some hairstyles carry a 'message,' but don't get too caught up in that stuff. You can't walk around assuming other people are sending messages with their hair, or picking up the message you're sending.

I was told by an advisor at a summer medical program just attended that I had a perfect application, but I needed to cut my hair for the interviews. I have long hair, I guess very similar to the lead singer of my chemical romance. I always get very positive complements on it from friends, but I dont think it will be professional enough for medical schools.