Are the benefits of a retail chain pharmacy worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FenderBender

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think the benefits are really important (insurance, retirement, 401K etc.)? I'm asking this because I'm thinking about working at a mom and pop store that offers no benefits rather than working at a large retail chain pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think the benefits are really important (insurance, retirement, 401K etc.)? I'm asking this because I'm thinking about working at a mom and pop store that offers no benefits rather than working at a large retail chain pharmacy.

let's address each issue:

401k -- you can open your own IRA and whatnot, but you do lose out on a match. calculate this into a retail salary when comparing the two.

insurance -- health care reform means you can buy your own stuff now (exchanges not til 2014, but you can buy in if you have a pre-existing within the next few months). again, factor the cost of this vs. the cost at a chain when comparing salaries

retirement -- same as 401k discussion above.

compare the # of the independent vs. the retail chain and see if you like the #'s, only you can decide at this point.

IF the salary is the same, then "yes" it matters.....

but if they pay you more so that you can provide some of that for yourself, then it is fine.

Dont underestimate the importance of retirement and compouding interest with employer contributions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that the independent store fills about 100 scripts per day, whereas the retail chain fills 400 per day with only 1 pharmacist.

I forgot to mention that the independent store fills about 100 scripts per day, whereas the retail chain fills 400 per day with only 1 pharmacist.
This makes retirement more important. You'll likely live to an older age filling only 100 per day, while the stress of filling 400 and growing will probably give you an MI before you get to retire.

This makes retirement more important. You'll likely live to an older age filling only 100 per day, while the stress of filling 400 and growing will probably give you an MI before you get to retire.

But if you have no money for retirement saved up, then what's the point? Retirement, I would think, would be more secure with a retail chain.

Ok... Now lets be realistic. I highly doubt you'll be retiring from either location. So, the script count doesn't really matter. Script counts change, anyway.
For example, my store does fewer scripts now than it has in the past... oh lets say... 10 years. Other stores have opened nearby, other services are offered elsewhere (like drive-thru), and the newer stores are usually nicer for customers to shop in- all of which have drawn away business.

Don't get caught-up on the dynamics of individual stores.

Exactly, that's the catch 22:
In retail, you have a funded retirement, but you won't live long enough to need it.
In an independent, you'll have to fund your own retirement, because you'll live long enough to need it.

I recommend option #3: Work at an independent, and eat bacon at least 4 times per week. At least you got the MI from personal enjoyment, not indentured servitude.
You simply can't lose.

working chain retail has no benefits

go with the mom and pop, there you get the benefit of no corporate pressure, the benefit of being able to interact with patients and properly counsel, etc etc

and i mean there's a chance your mom and pop will get bought out by a chain sometime in the future...get some good years in now.

EDIT: unless you work at Doctor M's pharmacy, of course...that place is all sorts of awesome.

Hah, amen about the bacon...

But I have been thinking about this as well. Another plus for me is that if you work for a chain, they have many locations around the nation, which makes it easier for you to find work if you do plan on moving in the future.
Like any two comparators, there and great benefits and great risks to both. A decision does not mean you are bound to it for all eternity, either. Try one out. If it doesn't fit, find a better fitting shoe!