Is a few years in chains worth it for the money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been working for an independent pharmacy since 2019 after graduation. Everything is super chill. We have 2 pharmacists on site every day and enough techs to answer the phones and walk-ins. Between me and the PIC, we verify like 300 scripts a day. What kinda sucks is the pay and benefits. I dont get 401k. Not much PTO. And currently not even 40h/week.

From what I've heard, it's terrible out there, but the pay and benefits seem better? Would it be a bad idea to weather it out for a few years in retail hell so I could repay my loans faster?

I'd like to buy my own house someday but it's unlikely if I stay here so I'm feeling a bit "stuck" right now and could use some input from other pharmacists. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How much do you make? Personally I would NOT leave a chill job for a chain, but to each their own.

There will be a line 100 miles long to swap places with you I have no doubt.

Reactions: 2 users
My hourly rate is 50. With my average schedule I usually bring home 90k-95k a year before tax. Some WG stores are offering 60+ with sign on bonus so I'm a little tempted. My friend at WG makes almost twice that amount if he's to be believed.

But yeah the WG stores in my area are on fire right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My hourly rate is 50. With my average schedule I usually bring home 90k-95k a year before tax. Some WG stores are offering 60+ with sign on bonus so I'm a little tempted. My friend at WG makes almost twice that amount if he's to be believed.

But yeah the WG stores in my area are on fire right now.
Would your friend swap places with you? That might give you an answer right there.

Reactions: 4 users
You have to be honest with yourself. Personally I like expensive things while simultaneously having a low debt tolerance . I sacrificed short term, worked crazy hours a week, picking up shifts and lived below my means. In retail there will be opportunities for raises and sometimes a cool assignment outside of the normal day to day if you show you have good work ethic. My first retail job out of school I was offered $120k base before tax back in 2016. Today I’m at 160k base with an opportunity at promotion making double what I make now. Retail isn’t for everyone but it sure does provide you with what makes the world go around… money. And money gives you options. You can always go back to an independent, hospital, or whatever your heart desires once you get out of debt and get a home.

Yeah I'll chill out for now and give it more thoughts. Or maybe hit the gym and do OF.

• Haha
There are reasons WAG and CVS pharmacists are doing walkouts. If you're used to chill environment, you probably won't do well in big chain retail. What's 60+/hr if you can't last (not that I'm saying you won't)? I'd prioritize longevity

There are reasons WAG and CVS pharmacists are doing walkouts. If you're used to chill environment, you probably won't do well in big chain retail. What's 60+/hr if you can't last (not that I'm saying you won't)? I'd prioritize longevity
I understand your sentiment about longevity but is anything really guaranteed? That independent he works at could go out of business or be bought out by a big chain within the next five years. If he just grinds it out for two years he could be out of debt and achieve his goal of home ownership. Like I said retail isn’t for everyone. People are literally making $77 an hour in retail right now with sign on bonuses. Retail is will always outlast the indies if you’re looking at longevity. Not to mention he/she said they have no PTO or 401k. I’m about to go on a tangent and sound like a grumpy old man. I’ll stop here.

Reactions: 3 users
A "few years" can easily turn into a decade in retail. When you leave that job, someone else will take it very quickly and it may be a very long time before you get another opportunity at a good job like that.

I would not leave your independent job unless I was absolutely sure. If you're making enough money to live and pay your bills, keep it. Prioritize your health above everything else.

I think it is defitely worth it to work for a retail chain. First, like other have mentioned above: your independent pharmacy may get bought out (by a big chain) at any given time. Second, working at a big retain chain also broaden your pharmacist network. You may work with a per diem pharmacist who happen to be a supervisor or hiring manager at your local health system.

I assume that you also want to get a good unicorn pharmacist job in the future? Then ask yourself: "what would make you a better candidate than hundreds of other retail RPh out there ?". Hint: My health system hires a lot of retail RPh for their outpatient & specialty / mail order operation. The majority of those new hires has one thing in common: they are all former retail managers.

Yes, it will be rough but a few years is doable. Thousands of RPh - including myself- have done that.

Big box retail isn't safe either. Just look at the news of all the more recent upcoming store closures, not to mention the bloodbath of store closures and profession wide salary reductions in 2019-2020. That's if you have the stamina to handle big box retail which can burn people out in a matter of months.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
You have to be honest with yourself. Personally I like expensive things while simultaneously having a low debt tolerance . I sacrificed short term, worked crazy hours a week, picking up shifts and lived below my means. In retail there will be opportunities for raises and sometimes a cool assignment outside of the normal day to day if you show you have good work ethic. My first retail job out of school I was offered $120k base before tax back in 2016. Today I’m at 160k base with an opportunity at promotion making double what I make now. Retail isn’t for everyone but it sure does provide you with what makes the world go around… money. And money gives you options. You can always go back to an independent, hospital, or whatever your heart desires once you get out of debt and get a home.
what type of promotion in retail gets you to 320K

Big box retail isn't safe either. Just look at the news of all the more recent upcoming store closures, not to mention the bloodbath of store closures and profession wide salary reductions in 2019-2020. That's if you have the stamina to handle big box retail which can burn people out in a matter of months.
There are no wide salary reductions. Salary’s have went up. And if someone is getting burned out in the matter of months and doesn’t have a backbone to request a transfer to another store or demand help from leadership, they probably don’t deserve a professional degree. This is why our profession is in the situation it is now, no backbones.

There are no wide salary reductions. Salary’s have went up. And if someone is getting burned out in the matter of months and doesn’t have a backbone to request a transfer to another store or demand help from leadership, they probably don’t deserve a professional degree. This is why our profession is in the situation it is now, no backbones.
Gaslight alert.

Salaries are definitely not up in real terms when accouting for inflation. In fact, nominal salaries in some areas have remained the same for the last 10 years which actually means a massive real paycut.

Do you support the pharmacists walking out in the past few weeks then? Most people would just at the chance to retail if given the opportunity or at least transfer to a slower store, but the reality is that the vast majority of the jobs are in understaff retail pharmacies.

Last edited:
Salaries are definitely not up in real terms when accouting for inflation. In fact, nominal salaries in some areas have remained the same for the last 10 years which actually means a massive real paycut.

Do you support the pharmacists walking out in the past few weeks then? Most people would just at the chance to retail if given the opportunity or at least transfer to a slower store, but the reality is that the vast majority of the jobs are in understaff retail pharmacies. So
Inflation.. This is the key word. What occupations are keeping up with inflation right now dude. I bet you will say IT according to your name lol. Go back and look at the time frame you said salaries were down. Were sign on bonuses being offered? Was covid even a thought? No. I graduated in that time frame and I remember it like yesterday. Fast forward to today sign on bonuses galore. Higher wages as well, I even mentioned what I was offered in 2016. I see new grads being offered stupid money, more than I ever thought I would ever make in my lifetime. To wrap it up and go back to the OP… Retail is not easy. It’s not for everyone. True, but it offers the most money. That’s all I’m saying. If he/she wants to get out of debt and buy a house wouldn’t the best option be to make the most money as fast as possible? I wasn’t trying to make the OP give a blood oath to a chain/ drink the koolaid. Everyone is free to make their own bed. I was just giving my two cents. Obviously we are not all built the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh if OP wants to buy a house, then the answer is pretty straight forward. To buy a house in this housing market & mortgage rate, you need a lot of money. So between your independent pharmacy & retail chains, where can you pick up more shifts ?

When I first became a RPh, I wanted to buy a house too.....and so I just picked up a lot of shifts. I had about 2-3 days off a month. I got on the good side of my scheduler and they gave me priority to pick my schedule. They also booked me nicer hotels whenever I floated out of town. I got all of my planned vacation approved with no question asked. Whenever I wanted a weekend getaway, I just asked my scheduler if they have any open shifts in that area (and I got my hotel paid with some allowance for food lol). You just gotta make the best out of what you have.