Are the NAPLEX and MPJE completely multiple choice or do they have written answer Qs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought the NAPLEX and MPJE were entirely multiple choice, but when I was reading a few threads and articles they made it sound as though there are some typed/written response questions. Which is correct? I took a leave of absence and am completing APPEs now, so I am aiming to take my exams in 2024. Thank you for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly recommend for you to read the following thread:

2022 NAPLEX - My Own Experience

In short, NAPLEX has the following:
1) multiple choice
2) select all that apply
3) fill in the blank (especially your calculation questions)
4) hot-spot questions (click on a picture to designate an answer)

MPJE has the following:
1) multiple choice
2) select all that apply

MPJE's multiple choice can also be "select all that apply" by giving the following answer choices when providing options as I, II, III, IV.
1) I only
2) II & III
3) I, II, III
4) IV only

I would encourage you to reach out to your program to provide more concrete examples on how the exams are set-up. This is another reason why it'd be vitally important to consider getting RxPrep material, as they try to mimic exam question format. Also, there is no backwards navigation. You must select an answer and move on (you cannot review your responses once you click "next").

Reactions: 1 user
I would highly recommend for you to read the following thread:

2022 NAPLEX - My Own Experience

In short, NAPLEX has the following:
1) multiple choice
2) select all that apply
3) fill in the blank (especially your calculation questions)
4) hot-spot questions (click on a picture to designate an answer)

MPJE has the following:
1) multiple choice
2) select all that apply

MPJE's multiple choice can also be "select all that apply" by giving the following answer choices when providing options as I, II, III, IV.
1) I only
2) II & III
3) I, II, III
4) IV only

I would encourage you to reach out to your program to provide more concrete examples on how the exams are set-up. This is another reason why it'd be vitally important to consider getting RxPrep material, as they try to mimic exam question format. Also, there is no backwards navigation. You must select an answer and move on (you cannot review your responses once you click "next").
Thank you so much! It was your thread which prompted me to make this post. I was confused when you mentioned fill-in-the-blank. I was trying to see if it was actually a question where you type the answer, or a multiple-choice question where you choose a response to fill in a blank from the question, if that makes sense. I understand now, I think, that it is an actual typed response. I appreciate you talking the time to clarify!