Did anyone NOT use RxPrep to study for NAPLEX/MPJE? Are there more affordable alternatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone passed the NAPLEX and MPJE using more affordable resources than RxPrep? My school does not provide anything for us to study as far as I know and I am supposed to take the exam in 2024. I was looking into RxPrep, but I am not sure how I feel about paying over $1,000 on materials to study for a year or less.

Members don't see this ad.

You can make up $1000 in two RPh shifts. Delayed licensure because you didn't sufficiently prepare is far more expensive.

I had the full online account through my school but the book alone is ~$250 and I found it by far the most useful part of the course. I'd probably just use that if I were you.

Reactions: 2 users
You can make up $1000 in two RPh shifts. Delayed licensure because you didn't sufficiently prepare is far more expensive.

I had the full online account through my school but the book alone is ~$250 and I found it by far the most useful part of the course. I'd probably just use that if I were you.
That is a very logical way to look at it. It blows my mind a little since my fiance is the main "breadwinner" for our family of 5 (+ my brother I am letting stay with us...actually) atm and he makes a little over that in two weeks... It is a little wild to consider us doubling or tripling our total income. I have a ton of student loans (over 300k), but it still seems like a huge difference, even if I were to pay $2,000 a month or more. lol. I want to work retail, so hopefully I can find a decent job and the $1,000-$1,500, if I spend it, will be a good investment. Lol. Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I paid nothing for MPJE - I simply looked at the board of pharmacy website for my state and utilized their laws & regulations guideline(s). That being said, if you want a "quick-snip" outline of the laws and regulations of your state, you can aways go to tl;dr pharmacy and pay $75 for an "MPJE Cheat Sheet" for the state you wish to be licensed in (I'd use that as a review after going through your state board of pharmacy website).

For NAPLEX, at a minimum, I do highly recommend that you get the UWorld | RxPrep material for review. If you just want the RxPrep booklet, it'd be wise to pay the $225 asap. If possible, I would also recommend that for your last 6-months until graduation, go ahead and purchase the 180-day test bank access for $299.

If you would like additional study material for calculations - you can pay for the APhA Complete Review for Pharmacy Math (used copy) for ~$25 via amazon. Although it does seem to be a heavy price to use all the features of RxPrep (booklet, recorded lectures, and online test banks), it is indeed worth the price when you get to walk out of that testing center feeling confident that you passed. Honestly, MPJE was more difficult for me than the NAPLEX (studied out of state), but that's thanks to me utilizing all of RxPrep's resources.

As mentioned, it's justifiable to pay ~ $1000 of study material than to pay for the exam, fail the exam, and then pay to re-take the exam (all the while you're not getting pharmacy pay after graduation).

- Hope that helps

**Edit: I would also encourage you to take advantage of our SDN Calculation 120 Questions (with answers) for free -

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I paid nothing for MPJE - I simply looked at the board of pharmacy website for my state and utilized their laws & regulations guideline(s). That being said, if you want a "quick-snip" outline of the laws and regulations of your state, you can aways go to tl;dr pharmacy and pay $75 for an "MPJE Cheat Sheet" for the state you wish to be licensed in (I'd use that as a review after going through your state board of pharmacy website).

For NAPLEX, at a minimum, I do highly recommend that you get the UWorld | RxPrep material for review. If you just want the RxPrep booklet, it'd be wise to pay the $225 asap. If possible, I would also recommend that for your last 6-months until graduation, go ahead and purchase the 180-day test bank access for $299.

If you would like additional study material for calculations - you can pay for the APhA Complete Review for Pharmacy Math (used copy) for ~$25 via amazon. Although it does seem to be a heavy price to use all the features of RxPrep (booklet, recorded lectures, and online test banks), it is indeed worth the price when you get to walk out of that testing center feeling confident that you passed. Honestly, MPJE was more difficult for me than the NAPLEX (studied out of state), but that's thanks to me utilization all of RxPrep's resources.

As mentioned, it's justifiable to pay ~ $1000 of study material than to pay for the exam, fail the exam, and then pay to re-take the exam (all the while you're not getting pharmacy pay after graduation).

- Hope that helps

**Edit: I would also encourage you to take advantage of our SDN Calculation 120 Questions (with answers) for free -
All of this was incredibly helpful and concise. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will probably invest in RxPrep. I am debating on whether or not I want the book. I am confident I can pass the MPJE without a problem because law is a subject I have always aced and it is less intimidating for me. Pharmacy does not come naturally. It does not really play on my strengths, but I concentrate and work hard to do well.

All of this was incredibly helpful and concise. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will probably invest in RxPrep. I am debating on whether or not I want the book. I am confident I can pass the MPJE without a problem because law is a subject I have always aced and it is less intimidating for me. Pharmacy does not come naturally. It does not really play on my strengths, but I concentrate and work hard to do well.
Purchase the book - I often times still use it for quick-reference utilization.

Reactions: 1 user
Purchase the book - I often times still use it for quick-reference utilization.
Do you believe the videos are worthwhile too? I will note I never learned much of anything from lecture in my program. I have ADHD and struggle to concentrate, but it also depended a lot on the professor and length of the lecture... so I'm not sure how they are formatted. Are they like course lecture videos or short clips? Thank you again. I appreciate your help more than you know.

Do you believe the videos are worthwhile too? I will note I never learned much of anything from lecture in my program. I have ADHD and struggle to concentrate, but it also depended a lot on the professor and length of the lecture... so I'm not sure how they are formatted. Are they like course lecture videos or short clips? Thank you again. I appreciate your help more than you know.
I personally did not think the online recorded lectures was worth it. The length is based on the topic of choice (diabetes management recording(s) were much longer than say Alzheimer's). Some clips could be 15 - 20 minutes while others are broken down into sections and could be as much as 2 hours.

Everyone learns differently so to each their own -