Are there any “good” Mission Trips??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I think I found a group that is different, but they are just starting up. www.wildfirept.com. It looks like they only take PT grad students but any undergrads interested in health. I have been reading their website like crazy and am thinking about applying for a spring or summer trip. It was started by 2 professors, one from the US and one from Peru and they link up students to learn from each other. They are so focused on "sustainability" like you are mentioning and they say they are making it sustainable by having the students learn from each other. They also go into under served communities and run clinics and stuff. I guess one of their main things in making sure that they only make a positive change. My mom's friend, who was talking to people at a big conference, said she heard that on the first trip the one leader who does a lot with concussion did a presentation on what concussions were for students at the university they were at and now she has been invited back to talk to their national association for neuro doctors. I guess they had not even really heard of concussions or what to do about them before that. (then I checked out the site and sure enough, pictures from the talk are there.) That sounds like a big change to me! Anyway, I am hoping to apply to PT school next year and figured it could not hurt to get a good recommendation from a PT professor after a trip I went on with one to help "spread knowledge." I just really think their concept sounds cool and different than anything I was reading elsewhere.

What do you think? I am going to reach out soon. Help me figure out what questions to ask so that I know I am thinking about the right things!
If you’re really interested in it, go for it

You should ask what you would even be doing. It’s great that they do all this stuff but chances are it isn’t the undergrads who’re running clinics, making talks etc. Also figure out the time commitment they would need

Members don't see this ad.

This just came up a couple days ago
Why Surgeons Are Rethinking The Fly-In Medical Mission

More food for thought about these missions, even those that provide surgical specialty services and don't have unqualified people doing things they shouldn't do.
I have a very “why not both” reaction to this

There is a supply of donors and of skilled labor for both methods (doing/teaching) and the shaming of one is just removing resources from an area that could beneft. The arguments against it here are really poor