Are there research opportunities during rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fancypantsdance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How could I go about getting research experience during my 3rd/4th years?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, tons. Any attending you meet who publishes a lot and has projects going -- approach him/her and ask to get involved. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Probably not a lot of time for more involved basic science stuff, though many do manage it somehow, but a TON of clinical papers to be had. I promise you any attending who's been around for any length of time has a number of cases and ideas for projects just waiting for an eager student.

All that said, maybe wait a little until you get your feet wet and get comfortable with how clerkships work at your school, how much time they need, etc. I'm a big proponent of keeping priorities straight, and pubs really only help if they are accompanied by an otherwise strong application. Last thing you want is subpar grades and boards alongside otherwise nice pubs, because unfortunately, the numbers get looked at first. If you've made it this far you already know that, but it's worth repeating.

Oh god yes. They love having med students to do stuff they don't have to pay someone for.

Just talk to the scheduling offices or go to your schools website and look at the electives page.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh god yes. They love having med students to do stuff they don't have to pay someone for.

Just talk to the scheduling offices or go to your schools website and look at the electives page.

Great! So do you have to be actively rotating with them to have a good chance, or can you approach them whenever?

Great! So do you have to be actively rotating with them to have a good chance, or can you approach them whenever?

It's all about connections and what your interests are. If you want to do research in something surgical - just know someone that knows someone. I mean, you don't even need to really know someone that knows someone. Just look at the doc's research on their site and see if you like it. Email them/set up an appointment to talk and go from there. If you're really interested in that field and want to do research... well it just depends on if spots are open in X, Y or Z month.

Thanks. Can that readily be done at smaller rotation sites at non-research hospitals? Or is it unlikely to find a physician into research at those sites?

I ask because I'm a DO student and my school's rotations sites are at smaller, non-academic hospitals. Should I strive to get a rotations at a hospital that is active in research? I guess im just wondering if any individual physician can decide to do research whenever/wherever, or if they're limited by resources and the institution?

Last edited: