ARE THESE ART-FOCUSED ACTIVITIES CONSIDERED COMMUNITY SERVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream_on

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of discussion about certain types of volunteering/activities not being sufficient in Med School's eyes for helping marginalized individuals. I'd like to know thoughts on my activities, since they are a little out of the norm. I am heavily involved in visual arts (i.e. video, photography, theater) and have done many volunteer and school projects that try to increase awareness of racism, challenges for those with disabilities, and difficulties for some marginalized groups gaining access to healthcare. One example is working with community leaders to brainstorm ways to integrate art with healing and wellness, another is an open-to-the-public artistic display of the difficulties some groups have with the hurdles in accessing health care . Some are done in cooperation with individuals and groups representing these marginalized communities. I have done other volunteer projects that are more hands-on with those in need, such as many hours volunteering as an EMT in underserved and rural areas, but most of my non-clinical volunteering is through these artistic endeavors that are more administrative.

So I guess my question is that if I've had a lot of face-to-face contact with individuals in marginalized communities through my clinical volunteer work, are these artistic endeavors (along with about 25-50 hours of more direct non-clinical volunteering) considered sufficient for community service.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I fully understand how exactly you are working with and making an impact with the unserved/underserved in your community. I was a theater major so I understand the impact these activities can have on kids who have never been exposed to these activities. But what you describe seems more administrative, creative and not really hands on with the target recipients. And like I said, this whole thing might just be my perception of what you wrote. I’m probably totally wrong. But I do think you aren’t showing evidence of getting out of your comfort zone and learning to deal with people very unlike yourself. As a physician you will be seeing people very different than yourself and frequently they will be at their very worse.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to reread the OP, but I would be mindful of some buckets I could put the described activities under.

1) Social justice or conscientious activism (whatever way AMCAS or schools could describe it)
2) Art or music therapy and healing (humanism in Medicine/Health)
3) Nonprofit fundraising

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! I have edited to be a little clearer, but I think your understanding of the artistic work is correct in that they most have not been hands-on with the target recipient. But I guess I want to know whether, if I've done 1000s of hours working hands-on but mostly in more clinical settings, l I have not shown enough community service.
Ultimately you can do what you want to do. It is your application. Just be mindful as you write your primary and secondaries that initial readers will only have what is before them. They won’t have the benefit of questioning you and having you explain things. Obviously these art programs are very important to you so it is up to you to figure out how to include them in the best way possible. Read @Mr.Smile12 post. Perhaps his suggestions are a way for you to include them in the best possible way( his suggestions are always spot on.) Think about it. It’s not us you have to convince it’s the ADCOMS .
When you are getting ready to apply, fill in the WAMC grid and people will be glad to help you.

Reactions: 1 users
I have to reread the OP, but I would be mindful of some buckets I could put the described activities under.

1) Social justice or conscientious activism (whatever way AMCAS or schools could describe it)
2) Art or music therapy and healing (humanism in Medicine/Health)
3) Nonprofit fundraising
Thank you so much for your response. Would you please explain what you mean by putting the activities in the buckets you listed. Do you mean how I explain them in the activities section? (I don't think the 3 buckets you listed are actual categories for the activities section)

Thank you so much for your response. Would you please explain what you mean by putting the activities in the buckets you listed. Do you mean how I explain them in the activities section? (I don't think the 3 buckets you listed are actual categories for the activities section)
Briefly, I was answering your question topic if they would be considered "community service." As you know, that term is broad so I wanted to give you a sense of how the activities are perceived especially based on how they impact others. The AMCAS categories are helpful but screeners and faculty can further categorize or value those activities at their discretion. Just because you call it community service does not mean the adcoms will take it on face value.

I can't make a judgment on "sufficient activity " in isolation from your other activities. Fill out a WAMC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users