WAMC / school list help 3.8/512 with vanilla activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clowndoodlefish

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE
cGPA & sGPA both 3.8

MCAT: 512 (129/126/129/128)

State of Residence: Rhode Island (hard knock life out here)

ORM, not underserved

Went to a low-ranking university, graduated spring 2022

clinical experience - 4000 hours of paid EMS 911 experience - started in EMS after college. went from emt-> paramedic

research - a couple hundred hours in a clinical project that got canceled, about 80 hours of bench research (bench research was not for me lol). nothing to show for it besides a LOR

volunteering - about nonclinical 600 volunteer hours at a fire station

shadowing - shadowing two primary care physicians In 2021 for about 100 hours

leadership - I was promoted to a leadership position at the tutoring organization, am a trainer at my job, and am a union leader at my job. I know it's kinda a bold move but I did include this as I have spent my time trying to work with management rather than against and a supervisor from this place wrote me a LOR - so relations are good.

other paid experience - I have some experience tutoring with an underserved population, paid nonclinical experience for working at a restaurant throughout college and after as well

other info - I also had substantial hours, unpaid, working for my family business. this means that I worked full-time hours throughout undergrad and have worked 60-80 hours a week since graduation

the general vibe of my application is that I like my work in Ems and want to expand my scope. I greatly enjoy treating patients and the 'hands-on' procedures I can do such as IV cannulation

I would prefer to remain on the east coast but know this may not happen

School list

Albany Medical College

Central Michigan University College of Medicine

Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at The University of Vermont,

Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University

UCONN School of Medicine

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

Penn State College of Medicine

Drexel University College of Medicine

Eastern Virginia Medical School

State University of New York Upstate Medical University Alan and Marlene Norton College of Medicine

Wake Forest University School of Medicine

Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University

Tufts, Boston, MA

Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA

Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown (lol this is a donation applying there, but ill pay the fee for the short term hope of a miracle)

University of Colorado School of Medicine

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine

West Virginia University School of Medicine

Western Michigan University Home Stryker MD School of Medicine

Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine,

Nova Southeastern Dr. Kiran C Patel College of Allopathic Medicine,

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Does your college/alma mater give you access to a prehealth advisor or office?

Brown may consider you given your "blue collar" background and the fact they should take some in-state applicants to the class. According to 2022-2023 data (so confirm on the MSAR) their applicant pool had 1.1% in-state (93), but their entering class is 16% of their 144 person class (23), so why not. (Mind that only 77 seats are filled with AMCAS applicants.) Student Stories

The issue I have... I don't know if EMT is enough for "clinical experience." It is very relevant for clinical employment, but do you have anything else that acclimates you to a hospital working environment? I would give you brownie points for being a first-responder otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does your college/alma mater give you access to a prehealth advisor or office?

Brown may consider you given your "blue collar" background and the fact they should take some in-state applicants to the class. According to 2022-2023 data (so confirm on the MSAR) their applicant pool had 1.1% in-state (93), but their entering class is 16% of their 144 person class (23), so why not. (Mind that only 77 seats are filled with AMCAS applicants.) Student Stories

The issue I have... I don't know if EMT is enough for "clinical experience." It is very relevant for clinical employment, but do you have anything else that acclimates you to a hospital working environment? I would give you brownie points for being a first-responder otherwise.

Thank you for the insights. My school does have a premed committee that writes a letter of recommendation and I am in the Process of going through their vetting.

As far as in hospital experience, I’ve seen both Hospital work up from bringing patients in and from doing interfacility transfers specifically ICU to ICU transfers for things like patients on vents. I do not have any experience physically working inside a hospital besides the 250 hours for my paramedic license.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have several schools on your list that admit few non residents with a GPA of 3.8 and MCAT of 512 and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Brown
UMass
UConn
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Alice Walton (when it opens)

Reactions: 1 user
You have several schools on your list that admit few non residents with a GPA of 3.8 and MCAT of 512 and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Brown
UMass
UConn
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple