Are these books all I need during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

def1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just going to enter my 1st year and my school gave me a huge list of books like over 20 that were recommended. Talking to current students though they told me First Aid, Review books and Pathoma were all that most of them used. Here are the books I have or plan to get. I also have some older editions which I'm not sure if that matters a great deal.

Have:
Bates guide to physical exam and history taking (8th edition)
Clinical microbiology made ridiculously easy (3rd edition)
Clinical neuroanatomy made ridiculously easy
Harrisons principles of internal medicine vol 1 and 2 (18th edition)
Lippincotts Pharmacology
Pathophysiology of Heart Disease- A Collaborative Project of Medical Students and Faculty 5th
Pulmonary pathophysiology
Robbins and Cotrant Atlas of Physiology
Guyton Hall Medical Physiology

Plan to get:
First Aid
BRS physio
Netter atlas of human anatomy
Pathoma
Robins Pathologic basis of disease (not sure if this is different or necessary since I have the atlas of physiology)

I was also thinking of maybe getting all the BRS books.

Luckily all the books I have already were giving to me for free so if I don't use them it won't be an issue, but I was wondering what you guys think about the ones I plan to get and which ones I will mostly use.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

here is a comprehensive list of books you will read in first year:

Lol.

OP, the only thing you need is your logon/password to get VPN'd to your medical library webpage where most of those books are easily attainable for free. Or, like, walk down there. Not sure why you took the advice of the upper-classmen at your school and basically said **** that, I know better than them.

Highly recommend FA + Pathoma to consolidate the actually important parts of MS1.

I bet the rest of what you need to know is available in ppt/notes for your courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you're school has computers at each of the tanks, but I'm glad I had a hardcopy of Netter's accessible during lab. We weren't allowed electronics, so it was either hardcopy or nothing.

I went crazy before med school and bought every book that someone, somewhere claimed was "must have". I have used a grand total of two: Netter's Anatomy Atlas and FA 2012. To think of all of the beer that could have been bought instead :(...

For godssake, listen to your upper classmen

Everything I purchased beyond these books was a waste:

FA
Pathoma
Big/Little Linda

Note this is for BOTH YEARS

I went crazy before med school and bought every book that someone, somewhere claimed was "must have". I have used a grand total of two: Netter's Anatomy Atlas and FA 2012. To think of all of the beer that could have been bought instead :(...

Sell back what you can on Amazon and get yourself some fine brews

Members don't see this ad :)
I googled 'big/little linda medical book' and got this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15801555-big-sky-river

Lol, my bad. NeuroLax has clarified. A bit of first two years' shorthand

(Linda) Costanzo = Contanzo Physiology
Little Linda/Costanzo = Board Review Series Physiology
Netter's = Netter's Atlas of Anatomy
FA = First Aid for the USMLE Step 1
Pathoma = Sattar's Fundamentals of Pathology + Online Videos
Goljan = Rapid Review Pathology
Robbins = Robbin and Contran's Pathological Basis of Disease (the Bible, you will only use this for reference)
High yield = the phrase you will use to determine the merit of a particular resource

What am I forgetting?

Yes! Have you ever had the Oaked Arrogant B*stard? If not, treat yourself and you certainly will not be disappointed.

I haven't but I've heard it's kick*ss. Next time I buy a 750mL that's what I'll get for sure. Thanks for the rec :thumbup:

Sublimely Self-Righteous is amazing too. They're pretty much my favorite brewery (Deschutes is also a contender)

I haven't but I've heard it's kick*ss. Next time I buy a 750mL that's what I'll get for sure. Thanks for the rec :thumbup:

No problemo...

While we are on the topic :)D), I would recommend White Rajah to all of the IPA fans out there. A bit pricey but probably the best IPA I have ever tasted.

No problemo...

While we are on the topic :)D), I would recommend White Rajah to all of the IPA fans out there. A bit pricey but probably the best IPA I have ever tasted.

Never even heard of that one. Must not get around to my area but will put it on the list

Hard to pick my favorite IPA... Deschute's Hop Henge is up there, the Maharaja is amazing too. I've tried Hopslam and while it was great I think it's overrated. I've not had Pliny the Younger/Elder or Heady Topper (not in my area either).

Never even heard of that one. Must not get around to my area but will put it on the list

Hard to pick my favorite IPA... Deschute's Hop Henge is up there, the Maharaja is amazing too. I've tried Hopslam and while it was great I think it's overrated. I've not had Pliny the Younger/Elder or Heady Topper (not in my area either).

You would pick those over Stone's brews? If so I will have to give them a shot.

Awesome, I love hearing about beers I haven't tried yet. Makes it that much more enjoyable when I finally get the chance to order one.

Anybody try Sam Adams Hopology variety case? When I don't have a wide selection at grocery stores I'll pick up a case. They've been impressing me lately for cheaper IPA you can find without going to a specialty/craft beer store, and it tastes decent.

You would pick those over Stone's brews? If so I will have to give them a shot.

In terms of Imperial IPAs, I think those two (HopHenge and Maharaja) are probably better than Stone's equivalent, Ruination IPA. Don't get me wrong; Stone is amazing and I love their variety and commitment to aggressive beers. I think some individual beers at other breweries probably best them in a category-to-category basis. It'd be a sad world if I had to make choices though. Overall, Stone is at the top of my list.

I should also throw in Firestone Walker here. I forgot to mention them earlier. Their Double Jack Double IPA is among the best and their Wookey Jack may be the best black IPA I've had so far (a fantastic emerging style).

Awesome, I love hearing about beers I haven't tried yet. Makes it that much more enjoyable when I finally get the chance to order one.

Anybody try Sam Adams Hopology variety case? When I don't have a wide selection at grocery stores I'll pick up a case. They've been impressing me lately for cheaper IPA you can find without going to a specialty/craft beer store, and it tastes decent.

I haven't had the variety pack, but I have had their Longitude 48 IPA. I found it enjoyable, but on the whole their beers tend to be a little muted to me. I've not had their Utopias which is of course considered one of the creme of the crop beers, but they only make a thousand or something like that and it's $200 a bottle.

In terms of Imperial IPAs, I think those two (HopHenge and Maharaja) are probably better than Stone's equivalent, Ruination IPA. Don't get me wrong; Stone is amazing and I love their variety and commitment to aggressive beers. I think some individual beers at other breweries probably best them in a category-to-category basis. It'd be a sad world if I had to make choices though. Overall, Stone is at the top of my list.

I should also throw in Firestone Walker here. I forgot to mention them earlier. Their Double Jack Double IPA is among the best and their Wookey Jack may be the best black IPA I've had so far (a fantastic emerging style).

I haven't had the variety pack, but I have had their Longitude 48 IPA. I found it enjoyable, but on the whole their beers tend to be a little muted to me. I've not had their Utopias which is of course considered one of the creme of the crop beers, but they only make a thousand or something like that and it's $200 a bottle.

The Latitude 48 is one of the IPAs in the Hopology set. The rest are in the picture. I agree with you, the Lat 48 and the Whitewater IPA are by far my least favorite of the bunch. The others are pretty decent for the price. I haven't always been a huge fan of Sam Adams varieties, but this Hopology variety is pretty good if you can't get to a craft beer store. Luckily I have a Total Wine around the corner, so I'm never too far away from enough different kinds of beer to make my head spin.

47697045d1337542763-beer-samuel-adams-limited-release-ipa-hop-ology-sa-2.jpg

I've not had any of the 5 on the left, so I will have to try them and keep an open mind.

I'm lucky that even though I live in a smaller city, the university culture allows for limited number of craft beer-selling outlets. Otherwise I'd be one sad mofo

If I had to choose one of those in my own variety 6-pack, I would probably say the Grumpy Monk is my favorite. I'll have to keep your suggestions in mind. I'm always down to try a new beer over something I've already had.

If I had to choose one of those in my own variety 6-pack, I would probably say the Grumpy Monk is my favorite. I'll have to keep your suggestions in mind. I'm always down to try a new beer over something I've already had.

Same here, I'll have to save this thread as a reminder. What was it originally about again? :laugh:

Same here, I'll have to save this thread as a reminder. What was it originally about again? :laugh:

Books, right... lol. You know, books and beer go together depending on how far out the exam is. There's nothing like having a cold one before you settle in to burn the midnight oil. :thumbup:

cough, cough...torrents are a medical student's best friend...cough, cough

This thread somehow managed to turn into, what beers are best to be drunk during medical school lol.

Anyways appreciate the input.

This thread somehow managed to turn into, what beers are best to be drunk during medical school lol.

Sorry to derail your thread a bit... though I would say beer has been equally helpful in getting me through this crap as books :thumbup:

Sorry to derail your thread a bit... though I would say beer has been equally helpful in getting me through this crap as books :thumbup:

Amen. I'll drink to that lol.

My bad, def1. I can't control myself in a beer discussion.

Im going to try some of these then! Thanks! Lol

So which would you categorize as "study beers" vs "party beers"? That's the real important question here.

So which would you categorize as "study beers" vs "party beers"? That's the real important question here.

As a future alcoholic, I can clarify. A study beer is one you take when you do the math on your grade and realize you need a minimum 50% on the last exam to to maintain a passing grade of 70% in the class.

Last edited:
As a future alcoholic, I can clarify. A study beer is one you take when you do the math on your grade and realize you need a minimum 50% on the last exam to to maintain a passing grade of 70% in the class.

Lol

It's the difference between a full-fledged version of the particular style (which tend to be higher ABV) and "session" beers, which are meant to be consumed as multiples (with lower ABV). For example, a monster 10%+ imperial stout is not something you'd want to drink with studying, while a 4.5% porter might suit the job just fine

Lol..Some people on SDN are so creative.
:thumbup:to the blank list

The only book I bought first year was netter's.

seond year i got first aid and pathoma

To the OP, you will discover what books you need in med school as the time comes. In the past, I found that certain brands or styles of books work well for me, while others do not. Pretest books and Grays Anatomy, for example, does not work for me at all, whereas Netters Flash cards and everything printed by Goljan was golden.

Unlike these posters, I use books intensively. I've read almost every page of Guyton's physiology (not kidding). I've read a lot of gray's (too costly for the return on your time). Netter's is a must-have. I've read most of Harper's Biochemistry + Lippincott Biochem too. Depends on how book-friendly you are. I like to skip a lot of class :)
I know a guy who scored 256 who used only his class notes during the year and FA + BRS physiology and his UWorld question bank for his Step I prep. That's it.

Unlike these posters, I use books intensively. I've read almost every page of Guyton's physiology (not kidding). I've read a lot of gray's (too costly for the return on your time). Netter's is a must-have. I've read most of Harper's Biochemistry + Lippincott Biochem too. Depends on how book-friendly you are. I like to skip a lot of class :)
I know a guy who scored 256 who used only his class notes during the year and FA + BRS physiology and his UWorld question bank for his Step I prep. That's it.

Your avatar made me lol :laugh:

This a good thread, books + beer. My current favorites: Old Rasputin & Smuttynose Baltic Porter (for folks in the North East). I am thinking about getting FA and some of the review books. My school recommends Lippincott...

Your avatar made me lol :laugh:

This a good thread, books + beer. My current favorites: Old Rasputin & Smuttynose Baltic Porter (for folks in the North East). I am thinking about getting FA and some of the review books. My school recommends Lippincott...

Gotta 2nd Old Rasputin. Such an excellent beer. Not for good studying though (as it's ~9%...)

Wikipedia, UpToDate, and USMLE World will get you through medical school just fine.

Edit: this is for all four years. Don't waste time and money with casefiles, blueprints, NMS, etc. for third year shelfs. Just run through the question bank for that section the week before the exam.

What? :eek: Old Rasputin goes to both East & West coasts, are you somewhere in the middle?

Yup, hence my location

Edit: Just used their beer finder application and apparently their beer is distributed all over town. Not sure how I missed it? My bad

Yup, hence my location

Edit: Just used their beer finder application and apparently their beer is distributed all over town. Not sure how I missed it? My bad

Sweet stouty celebration! Give us a report on Old Rasputin once you've had a try.