research during m1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scullybythesword

Reaction score
Incoming M1 here. I've been involved in research for some time now during undergrad. I know most people do research after their M1 year but does anyone ever get involved with a lab/mentor during the school year? Not sure if this is manageable and worth considering. If anyone has done this, or just has any insight to give about starting research during M1 year I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't recommend it. M1 is a lot to adjust to, and adding on more things before knowing that you're in a solid place academically is too big of a gamble imo. Research is great, but I doubt it would be of much significance if your academics end up struggling. I'm sure there are people who have successfully done it, but I personally did not feel comfortable doing it. I waited until after M1 to do research and I still ended up with a few pubs, so it's not like you'll be extremely behind if you prioritize academics first, at least during M1.

Reactions: 1 users
I would do it. With the research arms race as competitive as it is, the longer you wait the harder it is going to be to catch up

Members don't see this ad :)
My school allows first years to begin research spring of their M1. I would recomend starting then if you are very secure in your grades. If you are struggling its not worth it yet, wait til you stabilize. Otherwise it is great to start and get some under your belt befroe M2

I did it and highly recommend it if you're aiming for a hyper-competitive specialty.

That said, make sure the academics are squared away first. Worst case scenario would be that research compromises your grades/step scores. You probably won't be able to do research at a high enough level to overcome academic deficiencies, so academics have to come first. But once you've got a system dialed in, it's worth the effort to get some projects going. They may take quite awhile to finish but this gives you plenty of time.

The other reason to dial in your academics first is you also don't want to make a bad impression on your research mentors. You want to be able to deliver on your projects and if you have to side track them for your academics and end up not finishing things as promised, then you may come off looking bad.

This is why most places generally recommend your wait a bit into M1 before starting anything just so you know what it will take from you. Med school is definitely drinking from the fire hose, but it's hard to know what that means for you personally until you've done it. If gunning full out lands you 98-100% scores on exams, then you can probably dial it back a bit and still do quite well. If you go full out and are barely passing at all, then you probably don't have time for research and may want to rethink the hyper-competitive specialties entirely.

Me personally, I cold called my mentor before my med school interview and we met after interview day and hit it off and got some things cooking before classes even started (IRB, etc). We had talked and had built in a pause to early M1 so I could make sure the workload was doable and this coincided nicely with the data collection phase of the first project. I've always been a bit unconventional though, and I'm not sure the extra time mattered terribly much other than it did let me start going to meetings and networking early.

• Love
I did it, if you have even an inkling of suspicion that you're interested in a competitive field I believe you should start research M1. Give yourself some time though because especially in first year its really easy and enticing to be super involved with a bunch of things and get spread too thin.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses. I am thinking I want to do some surgical subspecialty, obviously this can change but I want to give myself the best chance possible. I'll definitely look into getting started asap.