Are these Psychobiology Classes BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noleknight16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They're classified as PSB (not PSY or BIO)

1.Physiological Psychology
2.Psychobiological Aspect of Drugs

In the undergraduate catalog, a Cognitive Sciences minor lists Physiological Psychology under a "Neuroscience" category.

Members don't see this ad.

My Psychobiology course was listed as BESS, which is not a BCPM course. I also took a Pharmacology course, which is most closely related to your second course listed, which was HEAL, also not BCPM. I would guess no for both classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you're doing your AMCAS application, list it under BCPM. As you look under the Biology section in the AMCAS application, it lists both neuroscience and physiology. So do it. If thee amcas people don't agree with it, they'll switch it to what seems to be correct. However, if that does happen, I believe you can do a petition.

My psych course in "Research and Data Analysis" was BCPM. I claimed it as such (a stats course). Try doing it for your bio psych classes. Maybe it'll count. Good luck!

You can classify it as science if you want. I've heard of cases where AMCAS has accepted them as such.

Classify them. Worse AMCAS can do is change to BESS. I was able to get biopsych, neural basis of behavior, psych stats, etc. all under BCPM. Another 2018er got drugs and behavior under BCPM as well so it can still be classified as a hard science.

Ignore everyone in this thread who said "no". I had those same exact classes (different but similar titles) and AMCAS classified them both as BIOL. I also got psychological statistics classified as MATH.

AMCAS asks that you classify the course according to what the majority of the content is not necessarily what the course listing is,. In the case of biopsych classes, it would actually be dishonest to classify them as BESS since they usually have little psych content but a lot of bio. However, the reality is that with biopsych and neuroscience classes you can usually get away with going either way depending on how you want to mold your GPA/credit hours on AMCAS. As long as it has something suggesting a BCPM component somewhere in the title or course listing AMCAS will most likely count it as BCPM if you choose to list it as such. Even if they do decide to change it it won't adversely affect your verification time or application. AMCAS only holds up your application if you made errors in listing your classes (eg: leaving out classes, putting in classes that aren't on your transcript, different grades, different credit hours, etc). They could reclassify every class and you'd still get verified with everyone else who submitted when you did.

Reactions: 1 user
They can go either way. If the content was more than 50% bio (legitimate bio, not basic stuff), then count it as BCPM. If you're still not sure, just classify it however you want. Best case...AMCAS gives you the benefit of the doubt. Worst case...they just change the categorization (no big deal there).

Ignore everyone in this thread who said "no". I had those same exact classes (different but similar titles) and AMCAS classified them both as BIOL. I also got psychological statistics classified as MATH.

AMCAS asks that you classify the course according to what the majority of the content is not necessarily what the course listing is,. In the case of biopsych classes, it would actually be dishonest to classify them as BESS since they usually have little psych content but a lot of bio. However, the reality is that with biopsych and neuroscience classes you can usually get away with going either way depending on how you want to mold your GPA/credit hours on AMCAS. As long as it has something suggesting a BCPM component somewhere in the title or course listing AMCAS will most likely count it as BCPM if you choose to list it as such. Even if they do decide to change it it won't adversely affect your verification time or application. AMCAS only holds up your application if you made errors in listing your classes (eg: leaving out classes, putting in classes that aren't on your transcript, different grades, different credit hours, etc). They could reclassify every class and you'd still get verified with everyone else who submitted when you did.

Edit: nevermind a simple search answered my question

Last edited:
Interesting. A lot of conflicting info being posted.

OCD what were the names of your classes?

I will add to what's been said - include them as BCPM only if they help your BCPM gpa.

All my psychobiology courses counted in both the MD app & DO app.
Remember Neuroscience is and always has been an outgrowth of psychology.

Just to follow up, the PSB classes all counted as BCPM on my verified AMCAS application.