Are these quality internship sites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corndog56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The program that I am looking at has a good match rate, but I know that not all APA accredited internships are created equally. I was wondering if someone with a bit more knowledge in this area could look over this list, and speak to whether or not the places that students from this program are matching to are quality internship sites.

http://www.wheaton.edu/Graduate-Sch...inical-Training/Internship/Internship-Listing

Members don't see this ad.

The program that I am looking at has a good match rate, but I know that not all APA accredited internships are created equally. I was wondering if someone with a bit more knowledge in this area could look over this list, and speak to whether or not the places that students from this program are matching to are quality internship sites.

http://www.wheaton.edu/Graduate-Sch...inical-Training/Internship/Internship-Listing

Wheaton may be a bit of a unique program because they have a very, very strong evangelical Christian emphasis, which may make them look better to some sites and to others, maybe not so much.

(please don't turn this into a religious debate!)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not placing very many at solid Midwest sites, which would be slightly concerning for me. A handful of decent sites in there. But a good number of "meh" sites and places I have never heard of.

I thought that too. I'm having a hard time discerning whether or not this program is succesful at matching students to the internships they want. I know there is often students in each cohort who are geographically restricted during the match, and end up at unaccredited internships just so they can stay in the same area. There are a few instances you can see on this list that appear to be just that (Non-APA interenships in IL). However, the flip side of that is that if some students are going to be geographically restricted, I would expect there to be some students matching to quality internships in the same geographical area.

I know there are some great programs in Chicagoland and the surrounding areas, and I'm sure the competition is fierce in the better internship sites. It is a little unsettling that there haven't been any matches at the better sites in the area, but I also think that may be indicative of a bias against a Christian program, and the fact that it is a PsyD program that isn't located in Waco.

Wheaton may be a bit of a unique program because they have a very, very strong evangelical Christian emphasis, which may make them look better to some sites and to others, maybe not so much.

(please don't turn this into a religious debate!)

Yeah, I totally agree. There are some sites, like Lawndale, that are very competitive for students who share that evangelical Christian emphasis. It does make it difficult when looking at other sites, though.