Are we wrong about the “best” residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted547339

I’ll just leave this right here:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I've never really been enamored by them, had a couple colleagues that went there, and they just can't move the meat as well as you would expect and variety is lacking. I think Whataburger is a hidden gem that mostly only us Texans know about. Us Whataburger grads could run circles around In-N-Out grads. Just the variety seen there (36,864 to be exact) and the ability to move the meat are second to none.

Reactions: 1 users
Five guys is the top right now in my books.

Members don't see this ad :)
People just have the wrong view in this debate.

In N Out is the best "fast food" place. Five guys is not fast food. It's like comparing mcdonald's to chipotle.

Disregarding that even, five guys is way too expensive. Might as well go to a restaurant for better quality food or a local burger shop.

I grew up around a whataburger and never knew it was "coveted". Mine was always super grimy and everything white had that yellow hue and only half the lights worked. I always placed it in bottom tier like wendy's.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Five guys is the top right now in my books.
This is the problem with people from the northeast--they're so far up the ivory tower that they don't know what it's like in the trenches.

Let me tell you, I worked with a Five Guys grad once and he was terrible. He used to waste outrageous amounts of fries for no reason. Would just dump them into patient's laps as if they were free. That's not gonna fly in the community.

Wendy's used to make a good burger, and a top-tier chicken sandwich worthy of a powerhouse fast food joint. Now, they're like Envision: trash, but not quite USACS trash.

Five Guys was a boring, over-hyped program. And then they brought in two new faculty members: Drs. Milkshake and Menuhack-Patty-Melt.

And, with their powers combined...they made this place relevant again in the most delicious of ways.

People just have the wrong view in this debate.

In N Out is the best "fast food" place. Five guys is not fast food. It's like comparing mcdonald's to chipotle.

Disregarding that even, five guys is way too expensive. Might as well go to a restaurant for better quality food or a local burger shop.

I grew up around a whataburger and never knew it was "coveted". Mine was always super grimy and everything white had that yellow hue and only half the lights worked. I always placed it in bottom tier like wendy's.
is chipolte not fast food?

If not is it medium speed food? I don't know I don't go there because it's expensive.

If not is it medium speed food? I don't know I don't go there because it's expensive.

(Source: Wife is a chef, heavily involved in the food/bev. world)

Chipotle and the like are classified as "fast-casual", setting them apart from the McD's/BK/Wendy's of the world.

Yeah, I know - it's not much of a distinction to me either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, can you explain the patty melt hack?

Order a grilled cheese and ask them to add a beef patty (or two if you have an afternoon to burn on a food coma) along with whatever toppings you want. It will look something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 5.07.15 PM.png

• Wow

It's like ativan. Chipotle is fast on, but not fast off.

Also, Freddy's is worth a look for those who like In N Out/Culvers/Five Guys.

Lived in CA for 4 years and I didn't get the In and Out thing at all. Like I'd rather just get burger king. Food was bland. I'd rank in and out below just about every fast-food burger joint I've ever eaten at.

You're nuts

In and Out: Their caveman style (or now called protein style) is a spectacular way to save 180 calories and make you feel way better about the other 1800 calories you'll slam during those precious 10 minutes devouring it in your car.

Culvers: Fast food meets diner and delcious all around. And the people who work there tend to be a) normal and b) pleasant but not in the creepy "how may I serve you" chic-fil-a kinda way. I'm still not sure why there aren't more of these around.

Chipotle: It'll never be Qdoba. And it knows it. Sad.

Ehhh, I think that place is over-hyped. Sure, the stuff is tasty, but this is 'Merica and I want 'Merica sizes if I'm paying those fancy prices.

You’re not getting a single pattie, are you?

You’re not getting a single pattie, are you?

The one time I got a double patty there it was some type of smokey cheeseburger (+ a shake). It tasted fine and was decently filling...but it was like 18 bucks with tax. If I was having that in Bergen or Tokyo or another pricey city where a burger is a relative rarity I'd be cool with it. But not in my 'Merica.

The one time I got a double patty there it was some type of smokey cheeseburger (+ a shake). It tasted fine and was decently filling...but it was like 18 bucks with tax. If I was having that in Bergen or Tokyo or another pricey city where a burger is a relative rarity I'd be cool with it. But not in my 'Merica.

yea, but when you get a couple pints with it, you care less, which is a pretty nice feature.

Shake shack ftw

I used to have shake shack over five guys... but man, you get quite a substantial burger from the latter.

It might also be that I've hit up shake shack too much.
Either way can't go wrong ...

In n out comes in at third place

These are the big three powerhouse residencies

Jack in the Box is criminally underrated.

Jack in the box is good...it's just like eating a stick of butter though. I would eat jack in the box all day if I had some LDL filter in my aorta I could replace, like the way you replace a brita filter once a month. Someone should invent that to reduce cholesterol

Reactions: 3 users
How dare you?

I do immensely appreciate that the guac is free at Qdoba, but that's about the only edge it has in my book.

My wife refuses to eat Chipotle after their like 3rd E. coli outbreak, ipso-facto I don’t eat chipotle.

My wife refuses to eat Chipotle after their like 3rd E. coli outbreak, ipso-facto I don’t eat chipotle.
I used to live on Chipotle. Eat it about twice/month now, but for a while was eating it 2-3 times/week because it was convenient and close. On a vegetarian kick now (wife is a vegetarian). The stuff she cooks from Purple Carrot is aaaaaah-mazing. Don't complain about missing meat, but when I'm working the early morning shift at work, I always go to the cafeteria for baconfest.

Reactions: 3 users
Chipotle's attempts to make queso have hurt everybody.

Chipotle is definitely S tier in my mind, but yeah damn their queso is liquid garbage and way too expensive.

Chipotle's attempts to make queso have hurt everybody.
They went wrong when they tried to make queso "healthy" and "natural".

Supposedly they fixed the recipe later on, but I never bothered to try it again.

Chipotle is definitely S tier in my mind, but yeah damn their queso is liquid garbage and way too expensive.

What is "S" tier?

EDIT: Nevermind: I googled it. Ashamed of myself for not recognizing it.

Last edited:
What is "S" tier?

EDIT: Nevermind: I googled it. Ashamed of myself for not recognizing it.

From context it can be kind of ambiguous. Especially since S tier can mean diametrically opposite things. It can be a four letter bad word for worst tier or if you're like me growing up playing video games, S rank is above A, so S-tier would be top when I read that.

From context it can be kind of ambiguous. Especially since S tier can mean diametrically opposite things. It can be a four letter bad word for worst tier or if you're like me growing up playing video games, S rank is above A, so S-tier would be top when I read that.

So much this. I had just woken up, and had not yet dropped a quarter in my videogame-brain.

Where is the love for Tommy's? Open 24/7/365 since 1946. When I was in high school we would wait in line for hours for a burger. I once ate 9 of their double chili cheeseburgers in one sitting.

Going to throw in my vote behind: Blimpie's, and BurgerIM.

Duuuude. Blimpie.
So good. So sad that we don't have any down here in this humid nursing home.
Come south! We’ve got one down the street from our hospital in Ft Lauderdale!

Could get one after every shift.

We had a local restaurant that was awesome....burger, fries, $6 plus tax. Big, juicy, yummy........but he had to close when they shut the state down the first time, tried to make it when opened back to 25%, but could not recover. We lost a great one. But I love Whataburger. Ours has always been clean. Maybe a little worn around the edges, but clean. Maybe more to do with managers, maybe?