Are you happy in EM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a similar of thread from 2011 and just wanted to see how the view on EM has changed/or not over the years.

Residents and EM docs...are you happy working in
EM?
What was your reason for going into EM in the first place?
What's the best/worst part of your job?
Do you like your hours?
Do you feel like you have enough time with your family?
Do you work in an academic center?
Do you feel you are fairly compensated?
Would you choose EM again?
If you HAD to choose a different specialty, what would it be?
Anything else you want to add?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I saw a similar of thread from 2011 and just wanted to see how the view on EM has changed/or not over the years.

Residents and EM docs...are you happy working in EM?
Do you like your hours?
Good questions. I'll leave it to EM attendings to reply. But I just wanted to say a few general things:

1) Like any other specialty, you'll likely find some who love it and couldn't imagine doing anything else, some who hate it and wish they had picked another specialty, and many who are somewhere in-between.

2) However, at the end of the day, the decision is yours, and you have to see whether it fits you and your goals in life well. Or at least well enough (relative to other specialties).

3) But that might be hard to do if you're "Class of 2019" because presumably this means you're still in your pre-clinical years, and haven't had a chance to do an EM rotation yet. What I mean is it might be a bit tricky for you to fully appreciate a lot of what's said about EM (pro or con) until you yourself have had enough exposure to it. Not just observing, but actually seeing patients, interacting with the team, etc.

4) If you're interested in EM, then consider joining AAEM/RSA or EMRA or both. Super cheap as a med student. You'll easily get far more than your money's worth (e.g. AAEM/RSA publishes a very helpful book called Rules of the Road for Medical Students: The Guide for a Career in Emergency Medicine).

Still, good questions, but just a few broad things to keep in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Good questions. I'll leave it to EM attendings to reply. But I just wanted to say a few general things:

1) Like any other specialty, you'll likely find some who love it and couldn't imagine doing anything else, some who hate it and wish they had picked another specialty, and many who are somewhere in-between.

2) However, at the end of the day, the decision is yours, and you have to see whether it fits you and your goals in life well. Or at least well enough (relative to other specialties).

3) But that might be hard to do if you're "Class of 2019" because presumably this means you're still in your pre-clinical years, and haven't had a chance to do an EM rotation yet. What I mean is it might be a bit tricky for you to fully appreciate a lot of what's said about EM (pro or con) until you yourself have had enough exposure to it. Not just observing, but actually seeing patients, interacting with the team, etc.

4) If you're interested in EM, then consider joining AAEM/RSA or EMRA or both. Super cheap as a med student. You'll easily get far more than your money's worth (e.g. AAEM/RSA publishes a very helpful book called Rules of the Road for Medical Students: The Guide for a Career in Emergency Medicine).

Still, good questions, but just a few broad things to keep in mind.
Thank you! I understand I have no idea what it's going to be like yet, but hearing from docs about it would still be really cool. I just want to see their side of things.

Members don't see this ad :)
All answers are in italics below.

Happiness quotient = 7/10.

I could not stand most other fields in medicine. I wanted a three-year residency, and to finally start making money after deferred gratification for what seemed like my entire adult life.

Best = Really making a difference in a person's life. Worst = Coping with everyone's unrealistic expectations (patients, yes - admin, more)

Do you like your hours?
For the most part, yes. The one thing that is totally poisonous is the "DOMA" (day off after a nightshift where you work the next day... known around here as a "Day off? My ass!") and the frequent night-to-day swings. If you have any regularity, the hours are great.

Yes.

No. I do have 4th year med students from the local DO school, however.

Yes.

Yes.

Perhaps Anesthesia. Perhaps family medicine.

I think we need a stickied post on here to list the "Top Ten Myths of Emergency Medicine". It would go a long way to dispelling a lot of the misconceptions about EM.

Reactions: 4 users

I could not stand most other fields in medicine. I wanted a three-year residency, and to finally start making money after deferred gratification for what seemed like my entire adult life.

Best = Really making a difference in a person's life. Worst = Coping with everyone's unrealistic expectations (patients, yes - admin, more)

Do you like your hours?
For the most part, yes. The one thing that is totally poisonous is the "DOMA" (day off after a nightshift where you work the next day... known around here as a "Day off? My ass!") and the frequent night-to-day swings. If you have any regularity, the hours are great.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I think we need a stickied post on here to list the "Top Ten Myths of Emergency Medicine". It would go a long way to dispelling a lot of the misconceptions about EM.

Yes the myth idea would be great.

Reactions: 1 user
Senior resident at an ACGME program here, likely doing a fellowship as I slowly have developed other interests over the course of residency. /caveat emptor

The short answer to you other questions is yes, I like EM. most of my off service rotations are career confirmers for the most part.
I like moving fast, working hard, and being off when I'm off. I do like some pressure and intellectual challenge for work, though maybe not all the time.
I like the variety of EM. I have other interests outside of medicine, so not being on call can allow me to pursue some other hobbies/interests/side jobs etc.
I don't like the press ganey, service oriented, metric based aspect of it, although I can move patients fast and do reasonably well on customer service. Almost all fields of medicine are going to have this aspect present now with HCAHPS.

Other fields I could have seen myself doing were anesthesia, plastics (reconstructive not cosmetic), hand surgery.
Other fields I liked but could not see myself doing were interventional cards, SICU, and ortho.

I suppose I would have chosen EM again, but maybe considered other careers, like mechanical engineering, zoo/large animal veterinarian, Medical physicist, CRNA/AA.

As far as compensation wise, we'll see what will happen in the future.

Happiness 6. I'm in my 8th year of practice as an attending. I don't get the rush and gratification I used to during years 1-5. Now it's just a job, and one that is becoming increasingly standardized and less about the art of medicine and actual interaction with people.

That being said, I can't imagine myself doing any other job except being an entrepeneur and running my own company. For now the salary, schedule freedom, and work/life balance make it unbeatable.

Also EM is the worst career in medicine......except for all the others.

Reactions: 6 users
Happiness 6. I'm in my 8th year of practice as an attending. I don't get the rush and gratification I used to during years 1-5. Now it's just a job, and one that is becoming increasingly standardized and less about the art of medicine and actual interaction with people.

That being said, I can't imagine myself doing any other job except being an entrepeneur and running my own company. For now the salary, schedule freedom, and work/life balance make it unbeatable.

Also EM is the worst career in medicine......except for all the others.

You say "for now." Are we expecting a change soon?

You say "for now." Are we expecting a change soon?
Lots of things could change with the ACA ("Obamacare") and/or lots of things could change depending on who gets elected president and which political party is in power that will affect doctors' salaries, lifestyle, etc. This isn't necessarily unique to EM though (except for issues involving EMTALA).

Lots of things could change with the ACA ("Obamacare") and/or lots of things could change depending on who gets elected president and which political party is in power that will affect doctors' salaries, lifestyle, etc. This isn't necessarily unique to EM though (except for issues involving EMTALA).

Exactly. In another recent thread a medical student (who makes no money yet) states that he thinks a single payer system will replace Obamacare. No matter what changes are made, it will have repercussions on our pay, lifestyle, and satisfaction at work. In general, government tends to make all of these things more negative.

Quick question, would you say the EM rotation during M3 served as a good glimpse into the life of an ER physician?

Members don't see this ad :)

EM?
Do you like your hours?
Yes
Loved the medicine. Thought the lifestyle and pay were attractive enough.
Making a difference on the worst day of someone's life. Leaving medicine at the hospital. The people.
90% of shifts are on nights, weekends, holidays, and evenings. Didn't matter until the kids came along. Now matters a lot.
The number of them? yes. When they occur? No.
No. But I also have another job.
No.
Yes.
Yes.
OB/GYN or anesthesia.
2+2=4

Note the time on the post.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't mean to derail the thread but it seems like Anesthesia is a popular choice for an alternative specialty among EM physicians (within this thread at least), can you give us the reason why you would pick anesthesia?

I am interested in both EM and Gas right now and I can see how the 2 fields are a bit similar (high acuity patients + the procedural nature of the work) but with all the CRNA and AMC issues that are going on in Anesthesia currently, in your attending's perspective, why would you pick Anesthesia if you had to choose a different specialty?

I read a lot about decreasing compensation and autonomy (being employed by an AMC rather than being your own boss) in the foreseeable future of Anesthesia. I am just curious to why you, with your attending's wisdom, think it would be a viable career for you? Especially TWCI, who is extremely business-savvy

I don't mean to derail the thread but it seems like Anesthesia is a popular choice for an alternative specialty among EM physicians (within this thread at least), can you give us the reason why you would pick anesthesia?

I am interested in both EM and Gas right now and I can see how the 2 fields are a bit similar (high acuity patients + the procedural nature of the work) but with all the CRNA and AMC issues that are going on in Anesthesia currently, in your attending's perspective, why would you pick Anesthesia if you had to choose a different specialty?

I read a lot about decreasing compensation and autonomy (being employed by an AMC rather than being your own boss) in the foreseeable future of Anesthesia. I am just curious to why you, with your attending's wisdom, think it would be a viable career for you? Especially TWCI, who is extremely business-savvy
I personally don't think the two are very similar, except in broad strokes. But here are some reasons I'd pick anesthesia (though I could easily come up with reasons I wouldn't too):

-It's nice to be able to focus on one patient at a time (if doing own cases) as my personality isn't always so adept at multi-tasking and juggling tons of things at the same time. It can be a challenge for me. But maybe that's just me, others won't necessarily find this an issue.

-While I generally am cool with interacting with patients, sometimes some patients really suck. At these times, I think to myself, man it sure would be nice if I could shut them up right about now. Totally possible in anesthesia. ;) Seriously patient interaction is minimal. I'd probably be happy enough interacting with patients in pre-op for an anesthetic assessment, etc.

-Another reason is because most anesthesia hours better overlap with the hours of non-medical people. You're not working on Thanksgiving or Christmas or at 3am or on the weekends, at least not usually, though certainly sometimes and in some groups, unlike EM where these are more part of the regular routine.

-EM isn't always "high acuity". I'd say the majority of the time it's not. That might be a disappointment if you're expecting high acuity all the time. But I wouldn't want high acuity all the time. I'd get burned out in no time! Anesthesia is nice in that you take complete control of a person's airway, physiology, etc., which can be exciting, though also nerve-wracking, depending on your personality. Know thyself! Very important in choosing a specialty.

-It's nice not to have to do stuff like rectal exams or see some psych patients or certain frequent flyers or get yelled at for refusing to dispense opiates to someone who thinks they need more.

-Regarding AMCs, see The Rape of Emergency Medicine for some ancient history. Corporate groups are in EM too. That said there are bad independent groups too.

-Don't have to worry as much about overhead, referrals, etc.

I didn't consider anesthesia in med school because I didn't see it as being a "real doc." Pathology, radiology etc also got thrown out without enough consideration for the same reason.

Why I think I'd like it now- lots of procedures, some emergencies, interesting medicine/pathology, still get to leave work at work, call is more like being on shift than most specialties, good pay, easy to limit hours later in career etc.

As far as CRNA issues? Pre-meds worry about that. Once you're out, you realize there's enough work for everyone. Pre-meds worry about PAs taking over the EDs too, but it's a very minor issue in my view and years away from becoming any kind of a serious problem. But if you're really worried about APPs, go be a surgeon. Enjoy being on call all night after working 12 hours 6 days a week.

Reactions: 5 users
Just my biased opinion, but I think EM and anesthesia tend to have the most laidback personalities. Some exceptions exist, like any specialty, but overall very chill, straightforward, unpretentious. Not pedantic or faux intellectuals. Not overly ambitious type A personalities. Just "real" normal type people you can grab a beer with.

My bigger point is part of what makes a good specialty for you is if you get along well enough with those in your specialty. The culture or personality of your specialty.

Just my biased opinion, but I think EM and anesthesia tend to have the most laidback personalities. Some exceptions exist, like any specialty, but overall very chill, straightforward, unpretentious. Not pedantic or faux intellectuals. Not overly ambitious type A personalities. Just "real" normal type people you can grab a beer with.

My bigger point is part of what makes a good specialty for you is if you get along well enough with those in your specialty. The culture or personality of your specialty.
Yup, I feel the same way about these 2 specialties. I am definitely not type A. I will try to do some shadowing this summer to explore these options further. Again, thanks @bashwell

Do you like your hours?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

DOMA! I can't believe it's catching on :) A resident at my program (a couple of years ahead of me) came up with it some years ago. At least I bought it as fresh. This was about 6 years ago.

DOMA! I can't believe it's catching on :) A resident at my program (a couple of years ahead of me) came up with it some years ago. At least I bought it as fresh. This was about 6 years ago.
This DOMA thing is real. I worked in a lab for two years and would work 8pm-4am. They would do the same thing and give me the "day off". (Except for the fact that you sleep your entire day off. Such bs haha

Yup, I feel the same way about these 2 specialties. I am definitely not type A. I will try to do some shadowing this summer to explore these options further. Again, thanks @bashwell

I think the lack of Type A thing will change as EM continues to attract more competitive candidates... just a small prediction that I've already seen with the medical students that come by at my program to interview. Got to be careful with the 250/260 type candidates!

PGY-1 in a 4 year program. Love it, wouldn't change it, would choose it again 1000x over at this point...with reservations.

I went into medical school wanting to do EM though I tried to keep an open mind. I liked ob and peds a lot but I never really wavered from EM.

I love the pace, my program, my co-residents. My shifts absolutely fly by in EM and then I go home and still have half a day to do whatever I want. The worst part is I see my SO (also medical) probably once a week and it's usually not quality time since we're both exhausted and/or one of us is coming from work when the other is heading in. The usual frustrations of EM that everyone else has mentioned I'll cosign. I've also become much, much more cynical and have to remind myself constantly that most patients are not trying to manipulate or hoodwink me, it's more like 40% of them.

Do you like your hours?
When I compare with my friends who are non-medical but my same age I occasionally feel all-consuming bitter fury. When I compare with everyone else in the hospital I feel smug joy.

Nah, but I'm childless and with a very low maintenance SO so it's okay for now.

Totally! I live very comfortably (and I have a robust post-night shift online shopping habit). We eat in half the week, eat out half the week. No fancy vacations but I'm surprised by how nice of a life I get to have, and we've been able to save a decent amount in the 6 months we've been tax-paying citizens. Of note, I did a TON of number crunching and hand-wringing over my future resident salary as a medical student and I agonized over budgeting for the standard repayment plan. Eventually I just decided to go with the PAYE flow and I'm very happy that I did.

If I chose medicine again, I would 100% choose EM. Again, my friends have very nice lives and they've been making twice what I do and working 30 hours a week for half a decade now. They have houses, and nest eggs. But I have a cooler job.

OB, though even saying that makes me groan. THAT would be a terrible life.

I feel like I went into this specialty with my eyes as open as I could have. I've been lurking sdn/this forum for a decade, I had a few very helpful and very honest mentors, and I spent a lot of time in the ED and more or less understood the workflow of a community EM doctor before I was a medical student. I have concerns about longevity and concerns about job satisfaction - I'm not a special snowflake and for the most part my emotional/professional trajectory has pretty closely mirrored what all of the old guard posters here report. I also worry that my career satisfaction will drop precipitously when I graduate because there are parts of academics that definitely do not appeal to me long term but I think I will very much miss the team aspect. That being said, every step of my medical career has been a little bit better than I anticipated, and I'm fairly hopeful that the trend will continue.

Reactions: 5 users

EM? Absolutely. 15 yrs with the knowledge I know, I could maybe do gas/rads but even then I feel more like a doctor taking care of medical issues.

What was your reason for going into EM in the first place? Hate call, Hate clinic. Narrows fields for me

What's the best/worst part of your job? Best - Money, free time, lifestyle (Off during working hours to do stuff, overall less hrs than most docs work (35-40 hrs/wk)), variety. Worse - Lifestyle (shift work/weekends)

Do you like your hours? See above

Do you feel like you have enough time with your family? Yes. Miss out on stuff now and then but I can make it to 99% of the stuff b/c I can ask off. I get to take my kids to school/pick up 75% of the time

Do you work in an academic center? No, and never will. I have enough admin metrics, why add another layer for less money.

Do you feel you are fairly compensated? Yes

Would you choose EM again? No questinj

If you HAD to choose a different specialty, what would it be? Gas/Rad

Anything else you want to add? If I knew what I know now, I would have planned my life differently 15 yrs ago. But that goes with all field. Don't we all wish we bought apple at 5?

EM? Absolutely. 15 yrs with the knowledge I know, I could maybe do gas/rads but even then I feel more like a doctor taking care of medical issues.

What was your reason for going into EM in the first place? Hate call, Hate clinic. Narrows fields for me

What's the best/worst part of your job? Best - Money, free time, lifestyle (Off during working hours to do stuff, overall less hrs than most docs work (35-40 hrs/wk)), variety. Worse - Lifestyle (shift work/weekends)

Do you like your hours? See above

Do you feel like you have enough time with your family? Yes. Miss out on stuff now and then but I can make it to 99% of the stuff b/c I can ask off. I get to take my kids to school/pick up 75% of the time

Do you work in an academic center? No, and never will. I have enough admin metrics, why add another layer for less money.

Do you feel you are fairly compensated? Yes

Would you choose EM again? No questinj

If you HAD to choose a different specialty, what would it be? Gas/Rad

Anything else you want to add? If I knew what I know now, I would have planned my life differently 15 yrs ago. But that goes with all field. Don't we all wish we bought apple at 5?

If I can ask, how would you have planned your life differently 15 years ago?

PGY-2 here.

EM?

Most days I am happy. There are those days/shifts where things are tough that you wish you were doing something else, though.
Attracted by the personality of those that I met in the field. I am more laid back, and I saw that in EM people. Liked idea of knowing a broad spectrum of medicine. Less hours also a plus.
Best: Cases where you can have a huge impact on people's health, change their trajectory from bad to good.
Worst: Patient's who are there to take advantage of you. Charting is also something I really hate, but that's medicine for you.
Do you like your hours?
I like my hours on EM months much better than my hours on off service months. That being said, EM residency hours are no picnic. On paper you think "wow, I'll only be working 18 or 20 days per month," but then you put that in motion and it actually ends up being killer. I have high hopes for attending level hours, though.
No
Yes, resident
As things are now, I think EM has good compensation. However, I don't like the way things could potentially go.
Most likely. For all of the negatives, the thought of doing most other specialties makes me sick to my stomach. If I were to go back in time I'd consider not even going into medicine.
Anesthesia. It was a close second for me. I went EM due to concerns about job market and sustainability of that profession, as misguided as that idea might have been.

PGY-2 here.

EM?

Most days I am happy. There are those days/shifts where things are tough that you wish you were doing something else, though.
Attracted by the personality of those that I met in the field. I am more laid back, and I saw that in EM people. Liked idea of knowing a broad spectrum of medicine. Less hours also a plus.
Best: Cases where you can have a huge impact on people's health, change their trajectory from bad to good.
Worst: Patient's who are there to take advantage of you. Charting is also something I really hate, but that's medicine for you.
Do you like your hours?
I like my hours on EM months much better than my hours on off service months. That being said, EM residency hours are no picnic. On paper you think "wow, I'll only be working 18 or 20 days per month," but then you put that in motion and it actually ends up being killer. I have high hopes for attending level hours, though.
No
Yes, resident
As things are now, I think EM has good compensation. However, I don't like the way things could potentially go.
Most likely. For all of the negatives, the thought of doing most other specialties makes me sick to my stomach. If I were to go back in time I'd consider not even going into medicine.
Anesthesia. It was a close second for me. I went EM due to concerns about job market and sustainability of that profession, as misguided as that idea might have been.

1. It seems as though a lot of the time you are on your feet jumping from case to case. Do shifts fly by when you're this busy?
2. You don't feel you have a lot of time with family, but once you become an attending, you will have more right?
3. You say you wouldn't go back into medicine. Can you expand on this? Are you just not interested anymore in medicine?

Thank you for your time!

1. It seems as though a lot of the time you are on your feet jumping from case to case. Do shifts fly by when you're this busy?
Oh absolutely. I've never been bored at work. You'll get to the end of these shifts and realize how long it's been since you've even eaten anything or gone to the bathroom. It can be a quite a rush. I wonder what I'll think of that pace when I'm 50?
2. You don't feel you have a lot of time with family, but once you become an attending, you will have more right?
Theoretically, yes. Our residents work 18-20 shifts a month compared to 12-14 worked by our attendings. Seems like a lot of extra time off. I also don't live near my family, which was part of the reason I answered 'no.'
3. You say you wouldn't go back into medicine. Can you expand on this? Are you just not interested anymore in medicine?
Medicine is still interesting to me, and overall I still find it gratifying. However, when I step back and see all of my friends outside of medicine who are working their 9-5s, getting married, having kids, buying houses, going on vacations, it makes me wonder if my overall happiness might not have been greater had I chosen something with less stress and less required out of my life. Grass is always greener on the other side, and the other problem is that I have absolutely no idea what I would have done otherwise.

EM?
Do you like your hours?

Yes.. pretty much. On a scale of 1-10, I would say 7.
I disliked everything else, but was pretty satisfied in the ED. (Rotations are not a perfect estimate of what practicing in a field is like, but it's a good start.)
Best - number of hours, autonomy while I am in the ED. Worst - Nights/weekends/holidays.
I like the quantity of hours but not the quality.
Yes, but with the caveat that the nights/weekends/holidays can be rough.
No.
Yes.
Yes.
If I wasn't in EM, I would probably not be in medicine. I would potentially consider anesthesia. Maybe. But would probably do something else entirely. I thought about lots of things in medical school in pretty intense detail and passed on them all for pretty good reasons. I did not pick anesthesia because 1. I was not satisfied with the narrow scope of knowledge they operate within (great depth but not very broad, almost the opposite of EM in some ways), 2. I get bored doing the same thing over-and-over, which is the epitome of anesthesia, 3. I did not like the fact that they are not caring for the patient in an autonomous way, often surgeons barking at 'em, etc. They are, in a way, the doctor's doctor, which is cool, but did not suit my personality. I think the work they do is awesome in many other ways though.
Nothing is perfect, it's a job, nothing more, nothing less. Keep your expectations reasonable and you can find happiness in EM. I think the main keys to your happiness are realizing that burnout is dependent largely on the volume of work and stress you are exposed to and for how many hours a month you expose yourself to it. If you work at an insane place, you can have a long and happy career if your hours are limited. If you work at a sleepy department in BFE, you can probably work a lot and still avoid burnout. Too much work, too much stress, for too many hours, and you're going to have a bad time.
The key to being able to avoid this is to control your spending for a few years, pay your loans down, get a head start on your retirement, and you'll find yourself a lot more financially independent in years 5-7 of practice than many of your partners, and you'll be able to work however much you feel is right for you without being financially pinched. Having the extra time will also allow you to do lots of other things, whether they are hobbies or sorts of side-jobs that allow you to generate income in other varied ways, which can be a nice way to mix up your life.

Turned out to be a long reply. TLDR version would be: Mostly good, some bad, overall, acceptable, and a bit of advice going forward. Good luck!

Yes.. pretty much. On a scale of 1-10, I would say 7.
I disliked everything else, but was pretty satisfied in the ED. (Rotations are not a perfect estimate of what practicing in a field is like, but it's a good start.)
Best - number of hours, autonomy while I am in the ED. Worst - Nights/weekends/holidays.
I like the quantity of hours but not the quality.
Yes, but with the caveat that the nights/weekends/holidays can be rough.
No.
Yes.
Yes.
If I wasn't in EM, I would probably not be in medicine. I would potentially consider anesthesia. Maybe. But would probably do something else entirely. I thought about lots of things in medical school in pretty intense detail and passed on them all for pretty good reasons. I did not pick anesthesia because 1. I was not satisfied with the narrow scope of knowledge they operate within (great depth but not very broad, almost the opposite of EM in some ways), 2. I get bored doing the same thing over-and-over, which is the epitome of anesthesia, 3. I did not like the fact that they are not caring for the patient in an autonomous way, often surgeons barking at 'em, etc. They are, in a way, the doctor's doctor, which is cool, but did not suit my personality. I think the work they do is awesome in many other ways though.
Nothing is perfect, it's a job, nothing more, nothing less. Keep your expectations reasonable and you can find happiness in EM. I think the main keys to your happiness are realizing that burnout is dependent largely on the volume of work and stress you are exposed to and for how many hours a month you expose yourself to it. If you work at an insane place, you can have a long and happy career if your hours are limited. If you work at a sleepy department in BFE, you can probably work a lot and still avoid burnout. Too much work, too much stress, for too many hours, and you're going to have a bad time.
The key to being able to avoid this is to control your spending for a few years, pay your loans down, get a head start on your retirement, and you'll find yourself a lot more financially independent in years 5-7 of practice than many of your partners, and you'll be able to work however much you feel is right for you without being financially pinched. Having the extra time will also allow you to do lots of other things, whether they are hobbies or sorts of side-jobs that allow you to generate income in other varied ways, which can be a nice way to mix up your life.

Turned out to be a long reply. TLDR version would be: Mostly good, some bad, overall, acceptable, and a bit of advice going forward. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your post! Very helpful!

Medicine is still interesting to me, and overall I still find it gratifying. However, when I step back and see all of my friends outside of medicine who are working their 9-5s, getting married, having kids, buying houses, going on vacations, it makes me wonder if my overall happiness might not have been greater had I chosen something with less stress and less required out of my life. Grass is always greener on the other side, and the other problem is that I have absolutely no idea what I would have done otherwise.

Trust me, 90% of your friends who are are married, having kids, buying houses, going on vacation would trade their lives with yours being a doctor in a NY minute.

From their standpoint, they are thinking

I should have went to med school and become a high paying doctor rather than working my boring 9-5 job, having expensive/dysfunctional kids, married to a high maintenance spouse, having a high house payment, and going on vacation with said family while putting it all on a Credit card.

Trust me.... 90% of married with kids would trade their lives to be single and make 3-400K in 2 yrs.

Reactions: 7 users
EM?

Residency 4/10, Moonlighting gig 9/10, First post residency job 1/10, Second post residency job 7/10 when I started, 4/10 when I left.

I was disillusioned enough by the time I finished my clinical rotations that I didn't want to have to deal with any sort of continuity of care. This is balanced by the Hotel California type of relationship EMTALA forces you to have with frequent flyers.

Best part: Occasionally you actually get to make a difference.

Worst: Night shifts, difficult consultants, patients who lie/drug seek/are crazy, families with unrealistic expectations.

In general: Crazy amounts of responsibility without even the sslightest hint of authority to fix the work environment.

Do you like your hours?

More or less.

Yes.

No.

Yes, but only because I am a W2 employee who does not have to buy benefits on the retail market.

No, but only because I would not have gone to medical school in the first place.

Veterinary medicine, derm, optho, family medicine in that order.

Don't underestimate the negative effects the structural, economic, and legal changes in medicine in the US are going to have on all hospital based physicians.

Last edited:
Residency 4/10, Moonlighting gig 9/10, First post residency job 1/10, Second post residency job 7/10 when I started, 4/10 when I left.

I was disillusioned enough by the time I finished my clinical rotations that I didn't want to have to deal with any sort of continuity of care. This is balanced by the Hotel California type of relationship EMTALA forces you to have with frequent flyers.

Best part: Occasionally you actually get to make a difference.

Worst: Night shifts, difficult consultants, patients who lie/drug seek/are crazy, families with unrealistic expectations.

In general: Crazy amounts of responsibility without even the sslightest hint of authority to fix the work environment.

More or less.

Yes.

No.

Yes, but only because I am a W2 employee who does not have to buy benefits on the retail market.

No, but only because I would not have gone to medical school in the first place.

Veterinary medicine, derm, optho, family medicine in that order.

Don't underestimate the negative effects the structural, economic, and legal changes in medicine in the US are going to have on all hospital based physicians.

Thank you for your honest post!

I'm in residency so take it for what it's worth. I still don't know much. A lot of my answers have already been echoed so consider this as a +1 opinion.

-Absolutely. Working 6/7 days a week sucks, especially in the ED, but after a couple days off I'm excited to get back. There's instant satisfaction (when theres satisfaction to be had) and I don't mind the drunks or worried well- easy dispo, then forget em. It's the only months I've had in residency where I've been more energized upon leaving the day that I was when entering. Off service rotations leave me weak and miserable come 6 pm.

-I really tried to distance myself from EM during medical school, but couldn't stay away when all was said and done. I like being able to see any patient, any time, and at least know something about what's going on and how to help them, even if it's only bridging them to the care of someone who can provide definitive treatment. I hate pondering over labs, treating minuscule numbers. I like stabilizing, worrying about the big picture, then shipping them out.

-Best: Making a difference. This comes in different flavors. Sometimes you really do make a definitive difference (see: nursemaids). Other times it's relieving pain, suffering, or anxiety over a patients chest or abdominal pain. It's those little victories that give you the warm and fuzzies. You're not going to cure someones aortic dissection, but you provide enough for patients throughout the day to make it worth it.
-Worst: Patient expectations. Sometimes I wonder if other specialties constantly deal with the rude, demanding patients like we do. When I'm off service this isn't as big of an issue. It blows my mind that patients with chronic abdominal pain, who've been worked up exhaustively by GI docs, seem to expect we have all the answers for their 2 year history of irritable bowel syndrome. I should note that those patient are the minority, but they also leave you with the bad taste in your mouth at the end of the day. Constant nights and weekends suck too.

Do you like your hours?
-Hell no. But I'm in residency, and comparatively we have it pretty good. I look at my college friends in business and marketing. They have tons of free time, but I still make more money than them as a resident, and their job sucks. Your job shouldn't define your life, but it is a big part of your life, and I'm happy that I have a job I enjoy.

-No. That's honestly the toughest part, but again, part of residency. I feel like I only have time for work, studying, and a couple close friends and family. If you find that you do have enough time for everyone, you're probably not working hard enough. I feel that if I put in the time now it will pay dividends when all is said and done. For the most part everyone in my life is understanding. I have an incredible fiancee as well.

-Yes, residency. Not as academic as some areas, but fairly academic nonetheless (as it should be in residency).

-It's the most money I've ever made in my life so I can't complain. Loan payments are stomach-churning, however, and you can't fully appreciate it until you watch a paycheck disappear.

-Absolutely. And unlike a lot of other docs, I'm happy I chose medicine. I would never, ever do it again, but now that I've gotten through the bulk of my training I'm glad I did.

-Probably Ortho. I really clicked with their personalities, and they've very "instant gratification" as well. But they work brutal hours, even some as attendings, and no amount of money is worth that to me.

-Medicine kind of sucks, but the "grass is always greener" is very prevalent in medicine so be careful of what you read. I would never try and convince someone to go into medicine who had hesitations, but if you're in it, EM is a fantastic field with fantastic people. I hear the pay is decreasing, but from what I'm hearing from our seniors their contracts are certainly not reflecting that.

I'm happier since I left day to day EM

EM?
Do you like your hours?
- Mostly happy most of the time.
- I went into EM because it's a true diagnostic specialty. Lots of bread and butter stuff, but lots of zebras too, and always a high degree of suspicion for the life threatening stuff. I like how it makes me flex my brain.
- Best part of the job - every day I make a real difference. Every once in a while I have a great save. Worst part of the job - drug seekers. I swear if we could just legalize opiates for recreational use my census would decrease by 50% overnight (wouldn't COMPLETELY eliminate the drug seekers, as some of them are broke, and some of them really believe something is wrong with them) AND I would be able to just do my job without having to feel like a private investigator at times...
- For the most part I do like my hours. The DOMA thing is real.
- I do not work academics.
- I feel I am pretty fairly compensated (see, not working academics).
- I would definitely choose EM again. Best job in medicine, period.
- If I HAD to choose a different specialty I'd have done Family Practice... and then I'd have moonlighted in rural ED's while getting additional experience with critical care,

The landscape will change in the next 20-30 years, but y'all need to realize, so will you. If you are in any way somewhat flexible, you'll find a niche that fits your needs. People who are unhappy make their unhappy decisions for 'reasons' they use to justify their unhappy decisions. Spend less, work less, take the job with more flexibility, take the job nearer your best friend, work locums 3 months a year and surf the rest of the year, whatever you need to do to make yourself happy.

Though I have found that when I start getting cranky it means I'm just working too much. Scale back 3 shifts a month and I'm a happy man again.

You must be new here... d=)
Yeah. I haven't been around much lately, either. I don't even think most on this forum really even know me anymore. That's okay. It was nice while it lasted.

Yeah. I haven't been around much lately, either. I don't even think most on this forum really even know me anymore. That's okay. It was nice while it lasted.

Yea birdstrike, back when I lurked and didn't post, you were fairly active. What's happened? Just got bored of the same ol' rigmarole? I always enjoyed your posts

There are a few things that stand out to me in this thread so far besides the overlap between anesthesia and EM.

1. The number of people who ended up in EM after realizing what Veers said about EM being the worst job in medicine except for all others.

2. The change in perception of the field that occurs between PGY1 and PGY2.

I have a question for those EM residents/attendings that are married/have SO's...

How has your career affected your relationship? I always hear that physicians have high rates of divorce, but I wonder more about EM in particular especially with the nights/holidays/weekends and all the emotional drain and stress of the job. I'm couples matching w/ my SO and hopefully after the match if all goes well we can finally settle down together and start our lives. But I do worry about the toll that is placed on a relationship, especially with both parties that have demanding schedules in medicine.

1st year attending Here. Married , 1 child at start of residency, second during. Wife worked during residency and we were 1000 miles from friends and family. It was very straining on our relationship, wife hated it but we made it through alive. There were some nice times but often was just a stressful mess at home. 1st yr as an attending things are much better. Wife quit her job, I'm working far less and things are better at home. The nights and weekend are still very stressful. I worked every weekend in december, Christmas eve, day and new years. Complained to the director because that did not seem fair. If it continues to happen I'm outta here. Gotta spend time with family some holidays and weekends.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I couples matched and it has been HARD. We are a pretty stable and happy couple, but I have had 10+ days without even physically laying eyes on my SO (we live together), and much longer stretches where we've not had any meaningful interaction. We've had three days off together (total) since residency started. But we like our jobs, like our lives, and force ourselves to be social or hang out together when we're exhausted or when it's inconvenient. It's also difficult when one or both of us is on a month we hate because it's hard to check that grouchiness or general dissatisfaction at the door. We're doing fine but it's not ideal, and it's the most stress we've felt in our 5+ year relationship. This would not be sustainable for me long term but I'm okay with it as a temporary necessary evil.