Argosy University PsyD Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychnerd78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been applying to APA Accredited Psy.D programs in Arizona/California and have many schools that I would love to get into. I have heard mixed reviews about Argosy University, which is basically my back-up school at this point. Has anyone become a licensed psychologist from this university, or can comment on the quality of education that they received in the clinical program?

I viewed Argosy University's licensure rate and it is 76%. I have a feeling this isn't terrible, but I wonder why the school has such a bad reputation.

I am also concerned about APA-Accredited internship placements.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, search the forum for this information. If you still have questions, please see the following: :beat:

Licensure rate isn't what you should be looking at. Look at the APPIC Match (67.5) and EPPP (65%) pass rates. These are beyond terrible. Additionally, consider the tuition involved. Going here will make harder for you going forward, I guarantee it.

Members don't see this ad :)
WisNeuro: thanks for your reply. The APPIC Match and EPPP rates are for internships or the university? (I am totally new to this PsyD thing).

Thank you

Read the entire above website, actually.

And, "mixed" reputation? No. It is poor. Period. I have never heard someone speak in "glowing" terms about this "university."

Staying away would probably be good. Its not worth the cost from that school.

WisNeuro: thanks for your reply. The APPIC Match and EPPP rates are for internships or the university? (I am totally new to this PsyD thing).

Thank you

They are in relation to internships and licensure. Indirect measures of quality, and definite barriers to you getting good employment opportunities in the future should you choose to go there.

I have been applying to APA Accredited Psy.D programs in Arizona/California and have many schools that I would love to get into. I have heard mixed reviews about Argosy University, which is basically my back-up school at this point. Has anyone become a licensed psychologist from this university, or can comment on the quality of education that they received in the clinical program?

I viewed Argosy University's licensure rate and it is 76%. I have a feeling this isn't terrible, but I wonder why the school has such a bad reputation.

I am also concerned about APA-Accredited internship placements.

Thank you :)

Factors that matter when choosing a grad school in psychology:
-Debt load
-APA accredited internship match rate, NOT overall internship match rate
-EPPP pass rates
-Program reputation

All of these are problem areas with Argosy. Please be aware that when you talk to the admissions counselors, and watch the promotional videos, etc. they tend to downplay or ignore these issues. The internship match is hard enough, so is the post-doc process and the job market. The added burden of the debt in addition to Argosy's reputation will make things much more difficult.

Another point to keep in mind--you mention that you've been looking specifically around AZ and CA. If you're geographically limited at this early stage of the training process (i.e., during grad school applications), that will end up unfortunately making things more difficult for you down the line when it comes to internship, post-doc (if you choose to do one), and finding employment. While it's possible, for example, for someone to stay in the same state throughout their training, it's very unlikely to happen if you're set on obtaining an APA-accredited internship and a "perfect fit" job.

I found even getting back to my hometown after a move across the country for grad school and then a move back across country for internship to take a butt load of effort and networking. It worked and it worked well but it took months of footwork and talking into networks. Limiting your training geographically limits the rest of your career.

And why would you not find it terrible that 1/4 of the graduates of the program do not obtain the credential that allows then to practice the thing that they spent 5 years and 150,000 pursuing?!

And why would you not find it terrible that 1/4 of the graduates of the program do not obtain the credential that allows then to practice the thing that they spent 5 years and 150,000 pursuing?!

Agreed, licensure rates need ot be taken into context. In a research heavy program, it's common to have a low licensure rate if many of the graduates are going academia or applied. But, for any PsyD program, that rate better be sky high, especially at Argosy! You know none of those students are going into research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you - this helps me out a lot. I am cringing at the thought of even applying to Argosy so I don't think I will. I assumed that I would be all over the country for an internship, and I'm applying in multiple states. I should have rephrased -- ideally I would enjoy being in the AZ or CA area

I found even getting back to my hometown after a move across the country for grad school and then a move back across country for internship to take a butt load of effort and networking. It worked and it worked well but it took months of footwork and talking into networks. Limiting your training geographically limits the rest of your career.

Thank you - this helps me out a lot. I am cringing at the thought of even applying to Argosy so I don't think I will. I assumed that I would be all over the country for an internship, and I'm applying in multiple states. I should have rephrased -- ideally I would enjoy being in the AZ or CA area

Understood. Staying geographically flexible is one of the better ways to improve your chances of obtaining grad school admission and, later, securing an accredited internship, so it's great that this is an option for you. AZ probably wouldn't be very bad job-wise, but CA is one of the more saturated states in the country when it comes to mental health professionals, which will likely affect your chances of finding post-docs and jobs. All that being said, if you're well-trained and can provide excellent services, you'll find work somewhere. There just might be compromises involved (e.g., pay and benefits, exact type of work and/or work setting, location, etc.).

Thank you for your help (and everyone else in this thread). I am completely new to applying to programs; I've been in the field for quite a while and I think its time that I step it up. You all are wonderful!

It is best to ignore any program that is not university-based, matches less than 75%-80% to APA-acred internship, and does not offer at least 50% (pref. 75%) funding. The only exception would be paying $7k/yr for in-state tuition as compared to getting 50% off on $35k+/yr at a private university.

That makes sense. Thank you. Is it possible to get offers for funding for PsyD programs?

That makes sense. Thank you. Is it possible to get offers for funding for PsyD programs?

Do you funded PsyD programs? There are a few, but difficulty getting in is similar to PhD programs. Baylor U in Texas for one.

Rutgers is another. Yeshiva offers little funding, but it is a good program (just expensive, as many of the graduates complain). But all of this has already been discussed, psychnerd78.

Asking the questions, then waiting for the replies can be a quick fix...doing the background research is more beneficial, will produce greater yields, and it's what you must get used to in graduate school. As others said above, do the research about what you're interested in and come back & ask something that had not already been discussed. You'll also be contributing to the forum in this way. It just surprises me when everyone starts the conversation all over again. And I know why, because friends don't let friends attend professional schools (i.e., FSPPs), and there's been much discussion about how it lessens the quality of our profession by doing so (therefore, any thread with Argosy in the title will immediately receive attention from those of us who do not support it, nor think it is comparable training for our profession).

It would be in your best interest to read the entire website noted above (http://psychologygradschool.weebly.com) and search old threads. When I applied way back when I learned a lot from SDN (by searching old threads), and there has been MUCH MORE activity since.

...funded PsyD programs? There are a few, but difficulty getting in is similar to PhD programs. Baylor U in Texas for one.

Last edited:
Thank, CheetahGirl! I am new here so I did not think to look around before I posted. :)