Army EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DocRGR

So this is something for all you guys working with prior service EM docs:

The Army has 4 EM programs in San Antonio, Tacoma, Killeen and a partnership with MCG. How has your experience been in regards to the people from these programs with a military background? Does their training and background seem complete or just adequate to get the job done. The military medicine forum seems to relate the "best" Army residencies with competent civilian programs, although not top tier. There is a thread going right now for Army surgery that is pretty negative in regards to surgical caseload numbers, etc. I'm curious if training at a military hospital in EM would have similar drawbacks. Would any of you think that MCG is the way to go just to be in a civilian, academic institution? Appreciate any insight.

P.S. I'm posting here because I'm interested in a non-military perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

4 year old post with no responses but bumping because it is relevant to my interests.

I'll bite. I'm currently an army EM resident. I am quite happy with my training, and feel that is easily as good as the training at the nearby academic EM program. We see plenty of pathology, and do enough offservice rotations to see the wierd stuff you wouldn't see at a military hospital. Military EM attracts very competitive applicants, and I've enjoyed working with my classmates.