Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only problen with MDSSP is the one year obligation for every six months you take it. My recruiter told me that you are better off getting on the merit list and waiting for ASR to open up for that fist year as ASR money is capped at three years anyway.

If she is correct, I'll drill, take the $4,500 in tution assistance, sell some stock that I own and, if I need to, take out a loan that is the subsidized interest part.

Bottom line as I'm avoiding MDSSP for the first year while I wait on some word on ASR funding. But, if you take MDSSP money you are not eligible for ASR. So, I'm following NotDeadYet's advise and holding out for ASR the first year and see what happens.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

My recruiter said there's a good chance in April or worst off in October as funds come through. I figured I'd wait till Oct/Nov to make that decision on MDSSP. I don't care what my ARNG obligation is but would rather take ASR since I can trade more obligation for loan repayment later instead of just being dealt the obligation from the beginning. As for the merit list, I can commission in my state and drill in a med unit if I get on a list... but this process is taking FOREVER. I went to MEPS November 24th and I guess that processing was a little backed up because of the holidays. I was told after my package gets approved and what not that then's the time to think about a commission and ASR vs MDSSP.

How long is it supposed to take to input all this crap once my MEPS physical comes back? My recruiter said I'm "nowhere near done." Why??? Was told a January/February board initially (regardless of the ASR stuff - just a generic med student commission.) Any of you guys run into unexplained delays? I'm reluctant pestering him every week as he's the one controlling the flow of my app but it's dragging butt. Do they really need willing doctors in the guard that'll join regardless of the ASR program or are they just pulling our legs that there's a shortage? I'd like to see how fast an air guard or active duty recruiter would be able to process me. What have you guys done to motivate your recruiters?

Members don't see this ad :)
So the ASR program is currently not open?

Well, what the Texas ASR recruiter will tell you is as follows:

ASR is currently not available and there are people on a waitlist.
But you can still prepare a package in case it does come back!!! So if you really really really want ASR and are waiting to hop into it if it becomes available. Prepare a package.

You can PM me so I can give you the Texas recruiter who worked on my ASR package which I ultimately had to turn down because I accepted Navy HSCP.

If you want Navy HSCP or HPSP, I can refer you to a good recruiter as well.

My recruiter said there's a good chance in April or worst off in October as funds come through.
You'll probably be a lot more satisfied with your experience if you don't take anything your recruiter tells you as anything more than rumor if you get it in writing.

The funding for the program has always been annual, so October would be the first time I'd expect they'd start it again. And there hasn't been any discussion about starting it again.
I figured I'd wait till Oct/Nov to make that decision on MDSSP.
Good call, if you have your heart set on ASR.
How long is it supposed to take to input all this crap once my MEPS physical comes back?
If you get through MEPS with no waivers needed, it shouldn't be too much to get you before your boards.
My recruiter said I'm "nowhere near done." Why???
Maybe because you are applying to a program that he's not recruiting for. I'm surprised anyone gets before the boards for ASR. Anyone who is walked to the point of MEPS in application for ASR is doing well.
Do they really need willing doctors in the guard that'll join regardless of the ASR program or are they just pulling our legs that there's a shortage?
There's a shortage, but they have plenty of medical students in the pipeline now, thanks to ASR. What they need are doctors. Most recruiting efforts are going to focus on that, would be my guess. That's why they're bumping up the HPLRP.

No bull. It took me about 9 or 10 months.
Get your paperwork in ASAP and tell him you want to go to MEPS within the next 2 weeks.
That'd be one way to pi$$ him off. Most of my recruits had to wait 4-6 weeks to get a MEPS appointment when they were busy.

And one thing that would be wise to keep in mind: if a recruiter is taking any action on your application for ASR, they're being very kind. ASR currently no longer exists, so that's pretty much the bottom of the barrel from the recruiter's eyes.

Making unreasonable demands or telling them to hurry up is probably not wise.

So are there any MS IV ASRs on here?

After looking back through the thread a bit, you are prolly still wondering about the impact of an NG commitment on your application to residency. Although I can't say 100% that it had no bearing, I feel confident that it wasn't the sole thing that chased PD's away. I am applying to ortho, and I'd say I prolly got a number of interviews commensurate with my application. Many fields are, but ortho I think is more regional than others. You can have a solid app, but if you don't have a REASON you checked the box to apply somewhere, it is pretty transparent. I was asked specifically ONCE if I had any obligation, but that was only because I am prior service and that is a fair bit of my work history. Interestingly, every one of the programs I interviewed at had some military connection, either residents that were HPSP or attendings that had BTDT. To a man they were all playfully pissed that I get O-1E and the clock is already running on my payback.

Which brings me to: I know we hash this out every few months, but I have looked and looked and I cannot find ANYTHING that disputes my perception that 2 years after I took the oath, I could walk away (per a memo from 2005 that cites multiple sources including AR 135-91...). In fact, nothing I physically signed has an "end of contract" date, so to speak. I think one issue is that nothing specifically (in the AR's that I've seen) addresses ASR, given its youth. Right now I don't care much, but if I match in a state that has a stickler State Surgeon that abhors the Flex policy, things could change quickly.

You'll probably be a lot more satisfied with your experience if you don't take anything your recruiter tells you as anything more than rumor if you get it in writing.

The funding for the program has always been annual, so October would be the first time I'd expect they'd start it again. And there hasn't been any discussion about starting it again.

Good call, if you have your heart set on ASR.

If you get through MEPS with no waivers needed, it shouldn't be too much to get you before your boards.

Maybe because you are applying to a program that he's not recruiting for. I'm surprised anyone gets before the boards for ASR. Anyone who is walked to the point of MEPS in application for ASR is doing well.

There's a shortage, but they have plenty of medical students in the pipeline now, thanks to ASR. What they need are doctors. Most recruiting efforts are going to focus on that, would be my guess. That's why they're bumping up the HPLRP.

Always good advice from you. I told my recruiter I don't care if it's ASR or what right now... just applying for MDSSP or a generic commission as far as he's concerned.

Interestingly, every one of the programs I interviewed at had some military connection, either residents that were HPSP or attendings that had BTDT.
I am always shocked by how many surgeons have a military history and/or commitment.
I know we hash this out every few months, but I have looked and looked and I cannot find ANYTHING that disputes my perception that 2 years after I took the oath, I could walk away (per a memo from 2005 that cites multiple sources including AR 135-91...). In fact, nothing I physically signed has an "end of contract" date, so to speak. I think one issue is that nothing specifically (in the AR's that I've seen) addresses ASR, given its youth. Right now I don't care much, but if I match in a state that has a stickler State Surgeon that abhors the Flex policy, things could change quickly.
Yeah, I think the whole topic is largely just pure hypothetical guesswork until the first person tries to walk away from the National Guard early. I hope the first person who does so posts their experience so that we can put that one to bed.

Humm, you may say "Sir, I believe I can accomplish my mission of recruiting easier if I'm in a medical unit. If life on medical student's isn't too rough we can probably recruit more of them." I believe the recruiters in my state understand that.

What state are you in? I'm totally transferring. :) Two problems with that. 1) He's not only the AMEDD recruiter, he's also the CO of the medical detachment, so even remaining in his unit means remaining on his radar. 2) He has no understanding? respect? for the life of a med/dent student. Example: After he had some meeting with the leadership of our unit, all the NCOs starting saying variations on the same thing to us: "Oh come on, you're getting paid full-time. You can't give back one weekend a month? Like you really study 8 hours on a Saturday." (Try 12 hours, SSG.)

I don't get this at all. When we all start to graduate and end up working in the meddet for real, none of us will have had any experience there, not even just once a quarter.

No bull. It took me about 9 or 10 months.

That'd be one way to pi$$ him off. Most of my recruits had to wait 4-6 weeks to get a MEPS appointment when they were busy.

And one thing that would be wise to keep in mind: if a recruiter is taking any action on your application for ASR, they're being very kind. ASR currently no longer exists, so that's pretty much the bottom of the barrel from the recruiter's eyes.

Making unreasonable demands or telling them to hurry up is probably not wise.

Agreed. You kind of have to have them working for you. If they don't like you they can do anything from moving your paperwork slow all the way to refusing to help you. I tried very hard to form a relationship with my recruiter while I was going through it. It has turned out to be a very good decision as I work with her and her office and they do favors for me when I need something.

Members don't see this ad :)
What state are you in? I'm totally transferring. :) Two problems with that. 1) He's not only the AMEDD recruiter, he's also the CO of the medical detachment, so even remaining in his unit means remaining on his radar. 2) He has no understanding? respect? for the life of a med/dent student. Example: After he had some meeting with the leadership of our unit, all the NCOs starting saying variations on the same thing to us: "Oh come on, you're getting paid full-time. You can't give back one weekend a month? Like you really study 8 hours on a Saturday." (Try 12 hours, SSG.)

I don't get this at all. When we all start to graduate and end up working in the meddet for real, none of us will have had any experience there, not even just once a quarter.

Sounds rough. Are there any other docs and APN's in your state that you can talk to about this? And I'm in Arkansas by the way. UAMS is a great school. Come on over.

Sounds rough. Are there any other docs and APN's in your state that you can talk to about this?

I don't know. I mean, I literally don't know anyone else. I'm a dental student, and all the dentists think this is stupid, but they can't (seem to, anyway) do anything about it.

I'm not entirely sure the state surgeon is on board with this. Our CO said he's been "working with the state surgeon" to reassign us to new units, but since that first announcement, he's never actually used the state surgeon's name in association with all these changes. Which makes me wonder what's really going on. (CPT bucking for promotion is my guess. "Look what wonderful initiative I've taken.")

There's a regional ASR mgr now who seems eager to be genuinely helpful, but I can't even get a straight answer about what her authority is. We're still responsible to the recruiter (who's also my CO who wants to move us all around). It's become a very closed system here. I don't want to be That Lieutenant, the one who makes waves, but jeez, this is a really big change from the way things have been done in the past, and it sounds like a big change from how they do things EVERYWHERE else.

Hey all -

So after 12 months of preparing my packet / getting waivers / being a medical student / etc. I am moving forward with my ARNG MDSSP packet and it looks like it will be sent up for USAREC Boarding next week.

Specifically, I was hoping to make a POC of a student either MDSSP / STRAP / or ASR from the NYARNG...I had a few questions about roles / responsibilities / flexi training.

Also I saw the post from a few days ago RE: residency interviews ... are there any other MSIVs who wouldn't mind sharing their impressions of how their NG commitment was handled by their interviewers / PDs?

Thanks - feel free to PM me if anyone is from NY or has a POC in NY.

Just to clarify a few things:

HLRP can be taken for 1-3 years (at 40k a year) or only for three years (at $120k paid out over 3 years)?

STRAP recipients are eligible for HLRP, despite not being BC/BE? Does the HLRP run consecutively or concurrently with the STRAP commitment?

A bit random/complicated (and more just a curious thought):

Let's say an ASR recipient finishes their drilling commitment before finishing residency. They decide they want to try a tour of AD and decide to sign up for FAP for the remainder of residency. In FAP, they normally go into IRR status correct? Would they be able to continue drilling with the Guard through the end of residency until they begin their AD commitment or does that breach some kind of no dual commitments rule? (The point of doing so being to continue making a little drill pay and earning retirement years.)

HLRP can be taken for 1-3 years (at 40k a year) or only for three years (at $120k paid out over 3 years)?
HPLRP pays $40k/year and can be taken for one, two or three years.
STRAP recipients are eligible for HLRP, despite not being BC/BE? Does the HLRP run consecutively or concurrently with the STRAP commitment?
Look for a discussion on this a few pages back. I spent some time carefully going through HPLRP and how it is for BC/BE students with a single exception made for STRAP students.

The gist of it is that STRAP students can start taking HPLRP in their R3 year, whereas anyone else has to wait. The payback for the loan happens after the payback for STRAP, I believe (again, check the post).

Let's say an ASR recipient finishes their drilling commitment before finishing residency. They decide they want to try a tour of AD and decide to sign up for FAP for the remainder of residency. In FAP, they normally go into IRR status correct? Would they be able to continue drilling with the Guard through the end of residency until they begin their AD commitment or does that breach some kind of no dual commitments rule? (The point of doing so being to continue making a little drill pay and earning retirement years.)
That's more a FAP question than an ASR question. Can you join FAP when you still have an IRR commitment? Don't know. You'd have to ask a FAP recruiter that.

I would guess "probably" as you can join the National Guard when in the IRR.

Found the post you were referring to. Thanks, notdeadyet.

So basically HLRP is primarily for BC/BE physicians in critical specialties. You get $40k per year of obligation you incur, up to three years.

STRAP recipients training in critical specialties are eligible beginning at PGY3. If you take HLRP as a resident, it adds nothing to your commitment since you're paying off the year you owe as a resident. If you continue taking it after residency, it pauses your STRAP payback while you pay off the loan obligation.

That right?

I know there has been a lot of talk on here about the Summer OBLC. It will be offered July 1-July 26. I just got the email confirming my reservation in the course. I think there are only 80 slots so get your name in quick. The timing is perfect for me, but I'm not excited to spend July in San Antonio.

So basically HLRP is primarily for BC/BE physicians in critical specialties. You get $40k per year of obligation you incur, up to three years.
Yes, except that any BC/BE physician qualifies. Because one of the "specialties" is a battalion surgeon, which almost anyone qualifies for.
STRAP recipients training in critical specialties are eligible beginning at PGY3. If you take HLRP as a resident, it adds nothing to your commitment since you're paying off the year you owe as a resident. If you continue taking it after residency, it pauses your STRAP payback while you pay off the loan obligation.

That right?
Exactly. HPLRP is a great gig for folks in long STRAP programs. And God bless 'em, because if you're taking STRAP for six years, you'll owe some serious time anyway....

Is it PGY3 of residency or the third year of receiving STRAP that you can get HLRP?

Or rather, to skip to the point, can you decide in the third year of residency that you want to sign up for STRAP to finish off residency and grab HLRP at the same time? If so, for those with a long enough residency, it would be another program close to ASR in terms of benefits/commitment.

I need to go hunt down a copy of that memo...

Is it PGY3 of residency or the third year of receiving STRAP that you can get HLRP?
it is the PGY3 of residency that you can get HPLRP.
Or rather, to skip to the point, can you decide in the third year of residency that you want to sign up for STRAP to finish off residency and grab HLRP at the same time?
Keep in mind, there may be a delay in terms of how long it takes to apply and get approval/funding for STRAP.

Argh, never mind - found my answer.

Last edited:
I appologize for posting this in the medical forum but it seemed like the best place for an answer. So, I understand that the ASR program is currently closed. Is this also the case for dental students? I would think that it would be completely separate, but I could be wrong. Thanks!

I appologize for posting this in the medical forum but it seemed like the best place for an answer. So, I understand that the ASR program is currently closed. Is this also the case for dental students? I would think that it would be completely separate, but I could be wrong. Thanks!
suspended for dental students as well.

suspended for dental students as well.

Thanks. I finally got ahold of a recruiter and he told me the same thing. He also told me that I had to already be in the National Guard to be selected for the ASR. This doesn't seem correct to me. He acted like I had to already be in the MDSSP program, and if I am interested in the ASR when spots open up, then I can be considered for it. I went through the posts, but haven't found a clear answer.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks. I finally got ahold of a recruiter and he told me the same thing. He also told me that I had to already be in the National Guard to be selected for the ASR. This doesn't seem correct to me. He acted like I had to already be in the MDSSP program, and if I am interested in the ASR when spots open up, then I can be considered for it. I went through the posts, but haven't found a clear answer.

Thanks in advance!

No. That's absolutely wrong. If you want ASR and only ASR and sign a contract before you have ASR, you screwed up. Some people join the Guard without accepting a student program to make a little money and wait for ASR.

If you signed up under MDSSP, you were ineligible for ASR. If the program is brought back, that rule is likely to remain. The rule is in a memo which has been posted several times in this thread...

I know there has been a lot of talk on here about the Summer OBLC. It will be offered July 1-July 26. I just got the email confirming my reservation in the course. I think there are only 80 slots so get your name in quick. The timing is perfect for me, but I'm not excited to spend July in San Antonio.

I just got my approval for July 1 - July 26 course as well. Going to miss some of the start of MS2 for it; hopefully I don't regret that choice...

I just got my approval for July 1 - July 26 course as well. Going to miss some of the start of MS2 for it; hopefully I don't regret that choice...

I guess I will be seeing you in TX this July. I will be taking boards the week before so it should be a nice change.

How much of classes will you miss?

I guess I will be seeing you in TX this July. I will be taking boards the week before so it should be a nice change.

I will be joining both of you in the San Antonio heat. Got my reservation confirmation today. :rolleyes:

About two weeks. My school said they should be able to get me the syllabus for what will be covered so I can at least study before heading out and then just try to catch up when I get back. Guess I'll find out how well this will work out.

I'm looking forward to OBLC. Now if only I could find a good description of it besides "death by powerpoint"...

About two weeks. My school said they should be able to get me the syllabus for what will be covered so I can at least study before heading out and then just try to catch up when I get back. Guess I'll find out how well this will work out.
Speaking as someone who attended about 1/4 of first year courses and nothing not required by school-law in second year, you should be fine.

Speaking as someone who attended about 1/4 of first year courses and nothing not required by school-law in second year, you should be fine.

Yea, I went ahead and decided to risk it based on how MS1 has been. I don't go to any lectures besides the very visual courses (Histo and Anatomy) and tend to follow the ramp up close to tests cycle versus the constant pace cycle...

I will be joining both of you in the San Antonio heat. Got my reservation confirmation today. :rolleyes:
Also will be joining everyone in the San Antonio heat this July. I grew up near there, so theoretically I should be used to the 100+ degree weather....hope they'll adjust the schedule so that we don't PT at noon before lunch.

I'll be there, too. Can't be much worse than August. :) I hope. Does anyone know where to find a schedule? I've seen the ppt and the welcome letter, but what would be awesome is to find a specific breakdown of the days. (Or a blog -- jeez, seems like an experience that someone would've blogged about, at least after the course was completed.)

I'll be there, too. Can't be much worse than August. :) I hope. Does anyone know where to find a schedule? I've seen the ppt and the welcome letter, but what would be awesome is to find a specific breakdown of the days. (Or a blog -- jeez, seems like an experience that someone would've blogged about, at least after the course was completed.)

I've found a few blogs, but they are a few years old and I believe the course was recently redone...

Hopefully, I will be going to the course this summer as well. My wife is going through the 9 week OBLC course down in Fort Sam right now and from what she says those going through the 3.5 week course will spend 3 weeks in the field with weekends the classroom. Maybe the overlap days are in and out processing?

I've found a few blogs, but they are a few years old and I believe the course was recently redone...
Ditto here. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the OBLC courses are the longer version. I haven't found any blogs on the 3-1/2 week version.

I'm interested in joining the guard whether the ASR is an option or not... it's just a matter of when I join. For a host of reasons, I'm not sure that I'll have everything in order to join before the summer. I'm curious, did anyone here join during the first year of med school? I seem to recall reading that you can join just before med school or before M2 (I could be mistaken here). Are there any notable advantages/disadvantages to waiting until then?

I'm interested in joining the guard whether the ASR is an option or not... it's just a matter of when I join. For a host of reasons, I'm not sure that I'll have everything in order to join before the summer. I'm curious, did anyone here join during the first year of med school? I seem to recall reading that you can join just before med school or before M2 (I could be mistaken here). Are there any notable advantages/disadvantages to waiting until then?

Daedra, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to join during the year (if that's what you were asking). I would assume that the reason you don't see very many people joining then is simply the business of school. I joined during the end of my senior year in undergrad after I had received my acceptance letter to med school. It was a somewhat time consuming process during certain times and not others. Hurry up and wait as they say. If you start the process now and have a diligent recruiter to push your papers through, you should definitely be in by summer barring any legal or medical problems that slow you down.

I started the process late in my last year of undergrad and was sworn in November of my MS1 year. You can join at anytime. You may lose out slightly financially depending on how long you wait.

If you join before MS1, I think you could apply for FTA for that fiscal year using Fall classes and then apply every Spring after that (because the military fiscal year is Oct to Oct and you're limited to $4500 a fiscal year). So you could get an extra $4500 in FTA during medical school.

The major concern from ASR standpoint is that you are on ADSW orders for 3 years or until you graduate. If you were to join too late past MS1, you would begin losing months of AD pay with no change to your commitment.

For other programs, you're only losing out on any drill pay or stipends (and the commitment incurred). Not quite as large of a concern.

The only other concern would be that the summer between MS1 and MS2 is probably the largest chunk of free-time you have to go to OBLC without having to worry about it's impact on other obligations and desires. But it's not even guaranteed that it will work out right, so that's a minor concern.

Also, if you do ASR or just a commission, the earlier you sign up the sooner your initial obligation runs up and the sooner you can look at taking additional incentives to stay in the military. You're not really losing out on anything though.

Either way, don't rush into it. There are slight benefits to signing up sooner than alter, but the risk of regretting the decision far outweighs any of them...

Here is January's OBLC breakdown. I also will be attending this summer, look forward to meeting you all.

Attachments

• OBLC schedule.doc
    48 KB · Views: 267
Anyone in the 23 APR start date course?

I'll be the one in camouflage and a low and tight.

Does anyone know if the July 1 OBLC is full yet? I had been told that it was a few weeks back, but then my CO had submitted an application on my behalf last week. How long did it take to get approval following submission?

Does anyone know if the July 1 OBLC is full yet? I had been told that it was a few weeks back, but then my CO had submitted an application on my behalf last week. How long did it take to get approval following submission?

I received my reservation confirmation for the class the day after my training NCO submitted my request.