Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I'm a current premed student (UCLA) fairly interested in having military experience but with a main focus in becoming a doctor. I've been recently reading these posts about National Guard's ASR program and just curious if anyone knows if the program is currently changing, as in, what do you guys think the chances are that this program will still exist in this form within the next 3 years. I'm only about to complete my first year at UCLA, and considering "if" I get into med school, this is the program i would consider pursuing but still wondering if it's the best compared to the other programs. Are there other programs that compare to this in terms of benefits, or is ASR as good as it gets? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just want to know what some people think, and I'm having trouble reading all these posts which started years ago, and just skipped to the end (thus i don't really know if the program has changed at all?) THANKS!

p.s. Apparently i'm reading that ASR is closed??? Or just extremely waitlisted? So basically the program is working I guess in terms of recruiting medical students, but is it really that competitive? Sorry again if these questions were already answered.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been recently reading these posts about National Guard's ASR program and just curious if anyone knows if the program is currently changing, as in, what do you guys think the chances are that this program will still exist in this form within the next 3 years.
Read the past four or five pages on this thread, and you know as much as the rest of us. No one really know if the ASR program is coming back in the coming months. And definitely no one knows if the program will be around three years from now.

I would count on MDSSP being around. You can read up on that. That's been around for years and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. ASR was started for a period of three years, which it completed. If they'll keep it going for some reason is anyone's guess.
Are there other programs that compare to this in terms of benefits, or is ASR as good as it gets?
ASR was as good as it gets for folks interested in doing a civilian residency, serving in the military part-time, and willing to work for the Guard a bit during med school and residency.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just want to know what some people think, and I'm having trouble reading all these posts which started years ago, and just skipped to the end (thus i don't really know if the program has changed at all?)
Read the last four or five pages.
Ip.s. Apparently i'm reading that ASR is closed??? Or just extremely waitlisted?
No, it's closed. Some recruiters are accepting applications in case it comes back, but no one has any firm indications yet that it's starting up again. When anyone gets an official memo about this, you'll see it here first.

Don't sweat ASR if you won't be looking into it for three years. Work on getting into med school and then look into what progams are available when you get ready to start. There may be a selection of cool new programs for you to choose from.

Anyone that has recently gone to OBLC, were there ethernet plugs-ins in the rooms for internet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya there was cords for Ethernet. Only one per double room though. They also had a block on skype when I was there last summer. Gchat might still work though from what I heard.

ASR's that have graduated or will this year: did you or will you have someone present to swear you in as CPT? School is asking me if I am "getting a commission" and hence need someone there, like the HPSP folks do. I have been saying no, but I don't know if going from MSC to MC, or promotion changes things.

And blocking skype? Come on...

Also, any Florida folks here? Or ones that drill in FL?

Last edited:
As I understand it, it is not a promotion to CPT but a reclassification. My unit usually formally recognizes a promotion in formation but not a reclassification. I know this doesn't answer the question but my guess is there will not be a ceremony unless your unit choses to do so. We already took an oath when were commissioned as 2LT.

I finally contacted a recruiter about this (in Texas) as I will be starting med school this fall....his exact words were "The program has not stopped and yes there is a waiting list" He also said that there should be 5 people graduating from Texas and other states should be graduating at least around 1 person and there is only a waitlist of 25 or so.

He also said that you can't put your name on the waitlist until you swear in, but then he said the program is automatic, that once I swear in and show them my letter of acceptance that I am "in the program automatically."

I don't quite understand this, I'm going to go ahead and get the MEPS stuff out of the way next week just in case. Does anyone know what the deal currently is? Is anyone else on the waitlist? I'm not comfortable signing up "hoping" that i'll get ASR, because I'm only willing to do this if I get ASR....

I finally contacted a recruiter about this (in Texas) as I will be starting med school this fall....his exact words were "The program has not stopped and yes there is a waiting list" He also said that there should be 5 people graduating from Texas and other states should be graduating at least around 1 person and there is only a waitlist of 25 or so.

He also said that you can't put your name on the waitlist until you swear in, but then he said the program is automatic, that once I swear in and show them my letter of acceptance that I am "in the program automatically."

I don't quite understand this, I'm going to go ahead and get the MEPS stuff out of the way next week just in case. Does anyone know what the deal currently is? Is anyone else on the waitlist? I'm not comfortable signing up "hoping" that i'll get ASR, because I'm only willing to do this if I get ASR....

I am applying for a National Guard commission. I finished the MEPS physical and am waiting for a medical waiver because I take a statin drug to control high cholesterol. I was told by the MEPS doctor and the recruiter that this is no problem. Provided that the waiver is approved this week, the goal is to have the selection board in Fort Knox, KY approve my "package" on May 4th. The next step is my appearance before another board (federal recognition board) in Atlanta on May 18th. If all goes well, the plan is to commission that afternnon on May 18th. If not, the next board is in early June.

My goal is ASR. The program has not been suspended as some say. There are 300 slots nationwide. My medical branch recruiter told me last week that approx. 46 of the 300 are scheduled to graduate in May or June. Other ASR applicantes from the "merit list" will then back fill those slots to bring the maximum participation up to the allocated 300 people. ASR is for physicians and physican assistants. As of last Thursday, a little less than 30 people were waiting on the merit list.

Attmepts are being made to increase the number of slots to more than 300 but right now 300 is it. So, while not "suspended" participation is limited. If you apply you may get in or you may not. I'm taking the chance. Worse case, I get drill pay every month for studying at the armory, pay to attend OBLC next summer and $4,500 a year in tuition assitance and I get to serve my country.

I was provided a letter from the chief doctor of the Georgia Army National Guard that said that if you don't get ASR, he will let me out. I don't want out. I'm prior enlisted service and know what I'm in for. You must apply in the State where you will attend medical school. For me that is Georgia.

If anyone else is interested in the Georgia Guard, send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with the medical recruiter. Don't bother with Sgt. Joe recruiter in your neighborhood recruiting station. Most know nothing about this program. You gotta go to the Army Medical Recruiter.

Jesus, get this in writing then. For those of us who joined the ASR program when it was still actually taking applicants, there was policy language that indicated that if funding was suspended, we could be released from our obligation from the National Guard.

Is there a similar policy for those who join the Guard in hopes that ASR comes back in the even that it doesn't? I haven't seen it.
I don't quite understand this, I'm going to go ahead and get the MEPS stuff out of the way next week just in case.
Good strategy. Getting a commission can be a long process so getting everything cleared in case they open the program up is wise.
Does anyone know what the deal currently is? Is anyone else on the waitlist?
The official word is no word. AMEDD Guard Recruiters across the country are handing things their own way.

Some states are not taking applications, saying it's on hold until further notice. You're welcome to apply for the Guard, but ASR is not around. Maybe it will be in the future.

Some states are saying that they hear it is coming back. If you apply now, they'll put you on a "waitlist."

For recruiters in the latter camp, keep in mind that this "waitlist" is most likely a stack sitting on their desk somewhere. For applicants to these states, I keep requesting that they ask for a control number, which is an official spot on the waitlist. To date, none have done this. Because it's not official.

Caveat emptor. We had a huge rumor mill going around June/July last year as to the fate of the program and we had folks posting left, right and center about gospel they'd heard from their recruiters. Most turned out to be nonsense. The only stuff that turned out correct was the stuff in writing.

I've been hearing rumors about slots opening up when people start graduating too. And I'm keeping my hopes up that this will be the case, as I know a lot of folks who'd jump on it. But there has been zero policy statements about this, so I wouldn't make life altering decisions based on these rumors. I definitely would not suggest people sign up and join the National Guard in hopes of getting a spot on a waiting list for a program that may or may not come back.

If your recruiter tells you you're getting a spot, ask for the policy statement coming from Washington that authorizes this. Ask for a control number. If he or she can't provide either, it's currently just smoke. I have been incredibly happy with my decision to join the National Guard and like signing up quality people to serve, but I'm uncomfortable when rumors sometimes gain more weight than they should really bear. If things turn out differently than what people are told, that's where recruiters get bad reps.

I am applying for a National Guard commission. I finished the MEPS physical and am waiting for a medical waiver because I take a statin drug to control high cholesterol. I was told by the MEPS doctor and the recruiter that this is no problem.
Correct. This is one of the most common waivers that gets pushed through. It's all but rubber stamp.
My goal is ASR. The program has not been suspended as some say.
Yes, it is. Those of us who are actually in the ASR program and who were paid a decent salary to recruit for the ASR program have written documentation indicating it has been and told that we can not sign people up for it. If there's been a memo or policy that indicates the program is currently taking new applicants, I haven't seen it.

You're well within your rights to ask your recruiter for written verification of ASR not being suspended. Recruiters are delighted to share that kind of thing if they have it. If they don't, it's rumor.
So, while not "suspended" participation is limited.
It's suspended. The last ASRs to start the program started on 01JAN. We haven't taken any more since then. Let's hope it will be unsuspended in the future.
If you apply you may get in or you may not. I'm taking the chance. Worse case, I get drill pay every month for studying at the armory, pay to attend OBLC next summer and $4,500 a year in tuition assitance and I get to serve my country.
If you'll be happy with serving in the National Guard for eight years NOT in the ASR, then signing up hoping it returns makes good horse sense. I'll keep my fingers crossed that ASR will come back and that you'll get it.

Correct. This is one of the most common waivers that gets pushed through. It's all but rubber stamp.

Yes, it is. Those of us who are actually in the ASR program and who were paid a decent salary to recruit for the ASR program have written documentation indicating it has been and told that we can not sign people up for it. If there's been a memo or policy that indicates the program is currently taking new applicants, I haven't seen it.

You're well within your rights to ask your recruiter for written verification of ASR not being suspended. Recruiters are delighted to share that kind of thing if they have it. If they don't, it's rumor.

It's suspended. The last ASRs to start the program started on 01JAN. We haven't taken any more since then. Let's hope it will be unsuspended in the future.

If you'll be happy with serving in the National Guard for eight years NOT in the ASR, then signing up hoping it returns makes good horse sense. I'll keep my fingers crossed that ASR will come back and that you'll get it.

NotDeadYet,

I think that I'll be happy in the Guard regardless. I sure hope that my recruiter is right about ASR. I'll know soon enough.

Interestingly, I received an e-mail advertisement from the Guard less than a month about Army Guard medical programs. A part of it contained info on ASR. In my mind, I can't help but wonder why the Guard would advertise it if it was suspended and/or not coming back.

Still, I agree with you that there is uncertainty and musinformation/misunderstandings. It seems that differant responses come from differant recruiters. Perhaps the Guard ought to send out a clarifying memo so we are all on the same page.

Keep me in your prayers that I get in and get ASR.

Still, I agree with you that there is uncertainty and musinformation/misunderstandings. It seems that differant responses come from differant recruiters. Perhaps the Guard ought to send out a clarifying memo so we are all on the same page.
That's why I'm a little concerned. If new spots are going to be opening up as folks graduate, they should be opening up in about two weeks. Not sure why we haven't seen anything in writing about it yet.
Keep me in your prayers that I get in and get ASR.
You got it, bud. And apologies if my message seemed a little harsh. Some of it is frustration with folks getting hopes up based on recruiting rumors (which has happened before) and some of it was undoubtedly getting up early with a hang-over to do a long distance run.

NotDeadYet,

Interestingly, I received an e-mail advertisement from the Guard less than a month about Army Guard medical programs. A part of it contained info on ASR. In my mind, I can't help but wonder why the Guard would advertise it if it was suspended and/or not coming back.

The program was around for 12-18 months before info about it was put on their website. I think there's a pretty good lag time.

Also two other positives to the guard for you since you seem to be on board with ASR or no ASR. There's the HPLRP that will pay back up to $120,000 in loans. Also in my state, if you are paying out of state tuition and join the guard you get in state tuition. Your state may vary.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why I'm a little concerned. If new spots are going to be opening up as folks graduate, they should be opening up in about two weeks. Not sure why we haven't seen anything in writing about it yet.

You got it, bud. And apologies if my message seemed a little harsh. Some of it is frustration with folks getting hopes up based on recruiting rumors (which has happened before) and some of it was undoubtedly getting up early with a hang-over to do a long distance run.

Notdeadyet,

No worries and no offense taken. I'm going into this eyes wide open, ASR or not.

The program was around for 12-18 months before info about it was put on their website. I think there's a pretty good lag time.

Also two other positives to the guard for you since you seem to be on board with ASR or no ASR. There's the HPLRP that will pay back up to $120,000 in loans. Also in my state, if you are paying out of state tuition and join the guard you get in state tuition. Your state may vary.

EMH,

Thanks for pointing out the loan repayment. I knew about it but forgot to mention it. $120,000 is a big incentive as well.

Thanks for pointing out the loan repayment. I knew about it but forgot to mention it. $120,000 is a big incentive as well.
Yeah, I think it's the biggest thing to hit Guard recruiting efforts in years.

Recruiting efforts in the Guard seem to be refocusing on recruiting doctors rather than medical students, which makes a lot of sense. There will always be a place for medical students in the Guard (MDSSP, etc.) but since we don't really have a big impact on the Guard's mission, I think the new programs you see coming out will be to recruit the physician, rather than the student.

Makes good sense to me. $120K is a great recruiting tool for those burdened with loans. I'm curious to see what the next program will look like. My prediction (wild and based on absolutely nothing) is a big bump in Special Pay.

Yeah, I think it's the biggest thing to hit Guard recruiting efforts in years.

Recruiting efforts in the Guard seem to be refocusing on recruiting doctors rather than medical students, which makes a lot of sense. There will always be a place for medical students in the Guard (MDSSP, etc.) but since we don't really have a big impact on the Guard's mission, I think the new programs you see coming out will be to recruit the physician, rather than the student.

Makes good sense to me. $120K is a great recruiting tool for those burdened with loans. I'm curious to see what the next program will look like. My prediction (wild and based on absolutely nothing) is a big bump in Special Pay.

Personally what I think would make the most sense would be focusing on residents. They're much closer to being out and have boat loads of debt that is hanging right over their heads. If you put them on ADSW orders for 3 years in residency that'd give them about $175,000 or so in compensation (assuming they're a CPT), plus the $120,000 loan repayment and that would cover the loans for most everyone and allow them to live comfortably during residency.

Or even just a 1:1 stipend + the HPLRP and maybe a loan repayment signing bonus. I think the residents are where it's at.

Question: So I finally got word that I am indeed going to OBLC this summer. So, I'm curious, am I eligible for promotion 18 months from the day I swore into the Guard, 18 months from the day I started ASR, or 18 months from the last day of OBLC?

You need to meet two criteria for promotion to O-2:
- 18 months time in service (from the day you swear in)
- Graduate of OBLC

So for you, you'll graduate OBLC and then just need to watch the clock til you hit 18 months . For me, I'll have already hit 18 months but won't get the promotion until I graduate OBLC later in the year. Hope that makes sense...

You need to meet two criteria for promotion to O-2:
- 18 months time in service (from the day you swear in)
- Graduate of OBLC

Well there are other things. You have to get a promotion packet in order, which includes among other things passing an APFT. I don't know what else is in the packet but I think the rest of it is reviews and such.

True. You need to be in good standing, which includes a passing record APFT on file within the last six months and no "not fit for promotion" files on record.

That said, O-1 to O-2 is pretty much automatic. It's not up to the whims of your CO.

True. You need to be in good standing, which includes a passing record APFT on file within the last six months and no "not fit for promotion" files on record.

That said, O-1 to O-2 is pretty much automatic. It's not up to the whims of your CO.

How does one get one of these "not fit for promotion" files on record? And would one know about it if they had one?

How does one get one of these "not fit for promotion" files on record? And would one know about it if they had one?
Don't sweat it. I've never heard of anyone actually getting one. You'd need to be on your way out for them to refuse you promotion at this stage.

Do OBLC and 18 months and you're golden.

Well, I told the truth to my recruiter and to MEPS. I passed the physical in all respects except for this admitted history of high cholesterol.

A waiver request was submitted to whomever in the Army system - I think the recruiter said the Surgeon General's office of the Army National Guard. I take a statin drug. I pre-tested for MEPS (I'm over 40) and the lab tests were normal. The MEPS lab results were likewise normal. I obtained a letter from my family doctor who outlined three years of a daily pill after initial diagnosis during a routine, annual physical exam and thereafter normal lab test results every six months thereafter to the present day.

The waiver request has been pending for nearly two weeks. I missed the May 4th selection board for the medical student program because of this and am now looking at the early June Board if I get passed this waiver thing. Schol starts August 11th and I want in before then.

How long does this waiver process take? Should I be worried? Welcome to the Army - hurry up and wait! Dammit. :mad:

How long does this waiver process take? Should I be worried? Welcome to the Army - hurry up and wait! Dammit. :mad:
What has your recruiter told you? I usually tell folks to expect waivers to take 2-6 weeks for non-complicated medical waivers (like yours). Mine personally took about 4 weeks.

When did you actually submit your packet to your recruiter? The typical experience for submission to swearing in is usually 4-9 months. I'd say add a month or two to prior service as the big bottleneck is usually getting the military records back from DC (ironically, it usually takes longer to swear in prior service than non).

Sounds like you're moving along on schedule. Hope you hear good stuff back soon...

Last edited:
What has your recruiter told you? I usually tell folks to expect waivers to take 2-6 weeks for non-complicated medical waivers (like yours). Mine personally took about 4 weeks.

When did you actually submit your packet to your recruiter? The typical experience for submission to swearing in is usually 4-9 months. I'd say add a month or two to prior service as the big bottleneck is usually getting the military records back from DC (ironically, it usually takes longer to swear in prior service than non).

Sounds like you're moving along on schedule. Hope you hear good stuff back soon...

My prior service enlisted records have been received from the records center so that is a non issue. I started the process in December and had everything in to her, including the Letters of Recommendation and transcripts by mid January.

I then started the MEPS saga in February. As I am over 40, I had to submit prior medical records, lab tests, etc. and then wait for a prelimary approval from MEPS. That took three weeks. I had the MEPS physical in mid March. It took MEPS three weeks to release the physical to my recruiter. The MEPS person had "short timer" syndrome and could care less. The recruiter had to go the MEPS commanding officer to get something done. It took my recruiter another two weeks to submit the waiver request.

Ever step of the way someone has been TDY, on leave, out sick or just plain sick, lame or lazy and stuff just sits. You are correct, 4 -9 months is probably about right. Us prior service guys take longer.

I'm just frustrated while I wait on people who seem to move at the speed of a civil servant (think snail). My recuiter said simple waivers like mine usually take from 1 -4 weeks. I'm now told that the person handling it is TDY somewhere for god knows how long. I'm a patient person but it is getting to the point of being absurd. I have braced myself for another delay. It seems par for the course.

I've been following this thread for a few weeks now and rather than start a new one I would like to ask a couple questions here since this really seems the best source of info on the NG that exists besides trying to read through all the official military documents.

I'm a first year medical student in the US (2 weeks left until summer :D) and I'm in good standing. So I have 3 years of school left and then residency. I'm very interested in joining the NG, and I feel strongly about working in domestic disaster relief and serving my country. I think it's great that the NG does not control specialty choice and allows me to change to other state units if I need to move. Here are my specific questions.

1. If I join the Army NG now without the ASR program and then they open it back up or start taking more applicants, would you expect I would still be able to take advantage of it or would they prefer people who are not already commissioned?

2. Are there any consistent differences b/w Army and Air NG across states? I have read here that there can be differences in state NG units, but it's hard to find information that distinguishes Army from Air NG, especially for med students/physicians.

3. Is it correct that if I join without the ASR program, I can still take advantage of MDSSP for the remaining 3 years of med school and this will result in a 6 year commitment after I graduate with my medical degree? Thus my total commitment is 9 years?

4. If I sign up without the ASR program, am I still protected from deployment during residency?

5. My wife (and I) would like to know what I would likely be doing when I get deployed after residency for the 90-120 days. Any ideas? Just working in a medical base somewhere in the world or right behind front lines of combat? I imagine this answer could be "whatever they tell you to do."

6. Does anyone have a contact for a knowledgeable recruiter, and do I need a recruiter who is specifically for the state I'm attending school?

Thanks and please let me know if I can provide more info. Also thanks to notdeadyet and you other guys/girls, you've already provided me with so much information with your past posts!

I've been following this thread for a few weeks now and rather than start a new one I would like to ask a couple questions here since this really seems the best source of info on the NG that exists besides trying to read through all the official military documents.

I'm a first year medical student in the US (2 weeks left until summer :D) and I'm in good standing. So I have 3 years of school left and then residency. I'm very interested in joining the NG, and I feel strongly about working in domestic disaster relief and serving my country. I think it's great that the NG does not control specialty choice and allows me to change to other state units if I need to move. Here are my specific questions.

1. If I join the Army NG now without the ASR program and then they open it back up or start taking more applicants, would you expect I would still be able to take advantage of it or would they prefer people who are not already commissioned?

2. Are there any consistent differences b/w Army and Air NG across states? I have read here that there can be differences in state NG units, but it's hard to find information that distinguishes Army from Air NG, especially for med students/physicians.

3. Is it correct that if I join without the ASR program, I can still take advantage of MDSSP for the remaining 3 years of med school and this will result in a 6 year commitment after I graduate with my medical degree? Thus my total commitment is 9 years?

4. If I sign up without the ASR program, am I still protected from deployment during residency?

5. My wife (and I) would like to know what I would likely be doing when I get deployed after residency for the 90-120 days. Any ideas? Just working in a medical base somewhere in the world or right behind front lines of combat? I imagine this answer could be "whatever they tell you to do."

6. Does anyone have a contact for a knowledgeable recruiter, and do I need a recruiter who is specifically for the state I'm attending school?

Thanks and please let me know if I can provide more info. Also thanks to notdeadyet and you other guys/girls, you've already provided me with so much information with your past posts!

Neon Goat,

ASR is an Army NG program. The Air NG follows their own rules. If you are accepted as a medical student, you have an eight year obligation from the date you swear in as a 2LT. If you take the MDSSP stipend you will be ineligible for ASR if it is opended or brought back on line. So, be careful.

Whether just in the NG or MDSSP, you get $4,500 per year in tuition assistance plus dril pay for one weekend a month. You get full-pay while on active duty to attend the 26-day OBLS in the summer. If on ASR you get full-time pay and no drill pay though you still have to drill.

You apply for the Army NG in the state where you attend medical school. If that is Georgia, send me a PM and I'll give you the contact info for the medical recruiter. Any old "Joe Dogface" NG recruiter won't do - you need to talk to the specialist. If you are not in Georgia, the recruiter can give you the contact info for your particular state

Yes, you are exempt from deployment until you finish residency.

When you get accepted into the Army NG medical school program, you get a "control number" and are put on the "merit list" for ASR. At this point, ASR is in flux. None of us low level med students know whether or in what form it will be in or even if it will continue. I am applying on faith at this point. Those in, commissioned and drilling will get first crack at ASR when and if it opens up again. Civilians will be competing in the scramble for acceptance when it (or if) it opens. As NotDeadYet says, the process can take up to nine months to get in - perhaps as few as 4 months if you have no prior service and no health issues needing a waiver.

In Georgia, the medical students are assigned to the NG headquarters. You bring your books to drill and study. I'm told that there are 4 medical students, one dental student and one PA student in the program at this time.

I'm just frustrated while I wait on people who seem to move at the speed of a civil servant (think snail). My recuiter said simple waivers like mine usually take from 1 -4 weeks. I'm now told that the person handling it is TDY somewhere for god knows how long. I'm a patient person but it is getting to the point of being absurd. I have braced myself for another delay. It seems par for the course.
Yeah, it's pretty much par. The big challenge is that the Army tends to approach a lot of things like... the Army. You can't compare business ops in the Army to any civilian business.

Not only are things slow, but there's often no coverage. You really need someone to aggressively bird-dog the paperwork or something can literally sit on an unmanned desk because someone got deployed or somesuch. Oi.

You have the right mindset, though. Your day will come. It'll just likely be later than you think.

No one knows. The ASR program is no longer taking applicants. If it starts back up again, no one can say for sure what form it will take. Existing, drilling officers might have first crack. Or they might get no preference. Or they might be excluded entirely a la the MDSSP folks. No one knows.

Personally, if ASR comes back, they'll probably do it similar to the last time, in which your spot in the queue is determined by a control number. And since you need to be in the commissioning process to get a control number, folks already in the Guard would have an advantage.
Army and Air Guard are completely different organizations. Since the Air Guard falls under the Air Force and we're all Army, we can't say anything about it without hypothesizing. You'd be best off talking to Air Guard folks about that.
You are correct, but joining MDSSP will make you ineligible under the past program rules. I doubt they'd change those rules if they brought back ASR.
Most states will classify you as a medical student, which is non-deployable. There's an equivalent MOS for non-deployable residents.
I'd read on the other SDN threads for what you'd do on deployment. Same thing as any other Army doc, though you'll be there for a shorter period of time. "Front lines" gets fuzzy in this war. But you are not a combat asset going out on patrol and such.
Post your state. If we don't have someone with contacts, we might be able to find someone who can help.

In Georgia, the medical students are assigned to the NG headquarters. You bring your books to drill and study. I'm told that there are 4 medical students, one dental student and one PA student in the program at this time.
The drill aspect varies a lot by states. Georgia's policy sounds fairly common. In some states you don't drill at all. In my state, you're expected to be at every drill helping out unless you have a valid excuse why you're not.

Anyone know the specifics on the ASR program as it relates to podiatry?

I am not an expert on this but I think your payback doesn't start until after residency. Also during your payback period you can't get any of the other incentives like HPLRP or special pay. I can't think of a situation where MDSSP makes sense. You'd be better off to just take drill pay in school and then take advantage of incentives once you're eligible for them.

What we're hearing in my state is to get people into MEPS and get a packet going, get on the wait list and then sit tight. The longer the wait list the more likely they are to throw money at it. See it from their point of view, they are paying this money to get you to join.

It doesn't. The ASR program was for medical, dental, and physician assistant students.

In fact, I don't think the National Guard has podiatrists.

An interesting question. I would think the answer is no but can't promise. I did a little research and noticed that podiatrists fall into the medical service corps, not the medical corps where M.D.'s and D.O.'s fall. But I'd image the army needs podiatrists as much or more than anyone so it couldn't hurt to bug a recruiter about it.

In fact, I don't think the National Guard has podiatrists.

My exhaustive research of a google search leads me to think that there are no slots in the Guard for podiatrists either.

Here's what I was told by my recruiter recently... my packet's ready for boarding (applied in October, Meps late Nov) but since I'm shooting for ASR, it's on hold. Here are my options:

1. Wait till July (said he will absolutely have news for me by then about ASR)
2. Switch to MDSSP (but recommended to wait till July to find out about ASR). This would be processed as soon as practical.
3. Shoot for a non-student program spot for now (he didn't recommend this as only a few people per year get these here... or some explanation like that)

1. Wait till July (said he will absolutely have news for me by then about ASR)
What's his rationale? If he thinks spots are going to open up as people graduate, they'll be graduating in May. If he's waiting for the new fiscal year, it doesn't start until October.
2. Switch to MDSSP (but recommended to wait till July to find out about ASR). This would be processed as soon as practical.
Definitely don't take MDSSP until you've kissed off ASR. I'd do that in either May (when spots will supposedly open up) or October (when the new year starts).
3. Shoot for a non-student program spot for now (he didn't recommend this as only a few people per year get these here... or some explanation like that)
What are "non-student programs"? Anyone can join the Guard in med school and get a non-deployable, non-pay/stipend position.

I don't know what's special about July. My recruiter told me that I will hear something as early as May when people graduate, but def in July before OBC. I am a commissioned guard officer (early Feb) awaiting a coveted ASR spot to become available.

I don't know about July either. It was the beginning of August last year that we heard about the 200 new slots opening in October.

I don't know about July either. It was the beginning of August last year that we heard about the 200 new slots opening in October.

I remember. I talked to my recruiter on the phone though and he said they'll know earlier than that if the spots are being recycled... that's all.

If more spots are open in october and I have all my paperwork in, will I be launched in october or will it take until january?
No one can really answer this, because no one knows if ASR will start up again.

Some have heard a rumor that slots will open up as people graduate (I'm suspicious, because we've had several folks graduate medical school already who were on ASR and there's been no talk about their spots being recycled). If this is the case, slots are now opening and if your paperwork is in and you can get passed at both boards, you should be able to start 01 JUL, providing all your paperwork is in place by 01 JUN.

If they're sitting on these open slots for some reason, then the same would hold true for an 01 OCT start. As long as everything was done by 01 SEP, you'd be able to start then.

This all assumes that they recycle spots, assumes they re-open ASR, assumes they do the same pay cycle, and assumes they use the same policy. Lots o' assumptions there...

Greetings to all of my old friends! I've been too busy to even be a troll around here for a while. How's it going? Anyone else getting ready for graduation and captaincy?

I've been requested (and looks like soon to be assigned) as the new Battalion Surgeon for a nearby Stryker unit. I drilled with them this weekend, and I gotta say, I'm really glad I joined the Guard! ASR has absolutely ROCKED!!! I will miss the active duty pay, allowances, etc.

The match went well for me; IM at UB in Buffalo (gunna be a hospitalist). How did it go for you guys?

No one can really answer this, because no one knows if ASR will start up again.

Some have heard a rumor that slots will open up as people graduate (I'm suspicious, because we've had several folks graduate medical school already who were on ASR and there's been no talk about their spots being recycled). If this is the case, slots are now opening and if your paperwork is in and you can get passed at both boards, you should be able to start 01 JUL, providing all your paperwork is in place by 01 JUN.

If they're sitting on these open slots for some reason, then the same would hold true for an 01 OCT start. As long as everything was done by 01 SEP, you'd be able to start then.

This all assumes that they recycle spots, assumes they re-open ASR, assumes they do the same pay cycle, and assumes they use the same policy. Lots o' assumptions there...

Yeah I got ya, the recruiter I spoke with told me he will "get me in, in october". Like you've pointed out though, he might not know any more than anyone else.

I had another question, this loan repayment offer they have, 120,000 dollars while in residency. That is an additional 3 years after your initial 8 right? Could you just sign up only for the 120,000 dollar loan repayment without signing up for the 8?

Thanks!

I had another question, this loan repayment offer they have, 120,000 dollars while in residency.
No, it's $100,000 AFTER residency. You get it paid out for each year you serve as a board certified or board eligible physician.
That is an additional 3 years after your initial 8 right? Could you just sign up only for the 120,000 dollar loan repayment without signing up for the 8?Thanks!
You serve the years for your loan repayment concurrently with your 8 year MSO that every officer takes.

No, it's $100,000 AFTER residency. You get it paid out for each year you serve as a board certified or board eligible physician.

You serve the years for your loan repayment concurrently with your 8 year MSO that every officer takes.

See I've heard different things. The recruiter told me 120,000 dollars during residency, 3 years concurrent. Another ASR officer told me 120,000 but 3 extra years past the initial 8. No one ever mentioned 100,000.

I am not trying to be argumentative, I just wonder if we're discussing the same things. I know STRAP is one program, but I don't think that was what I was referring too.

Basically I just want to know if I do sign up, could I do the 100-120,000 loan repayment without additional years on top of the 8?

See I've heard different things. The recruiter told me 120,000 dollars during residency, 3 years concurrent. Another ASR officer told me 120,000 but 3 extra years past the initial 8.
This is why "I've heard" should pretty much be stricken from our vocabulary when it comes to Army recruiting. It's honestly worse than a game of telephone. If it ain't in writing, don't believe a word of it. Ask your recruiter for a copy of the "Implementation Guidance for ARNG AMEDD Officer Incentive Programs for FY 10-11". This details every program available. If it's not listed, it's vapor.

Google Healthcare Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) and look for the policy program in writing. You can also do a search for that phrase on this thread, which has the policy described in detail.

HPLRP is only for board eligible/board certified physicians. Once you sign up for the program when you're BE/BC, the clock starts ticking. One year later, you get $40K. You can renew for a total of three years/$120K (they've talked of extending that to 5 years/$200K, but I haven't seen it in writing yet). You can take HPRLP concurrently with your 8 year MSO and ASR. If you take it with STRAP or MDSSP, the year you take HPLRP pushes out your STRAP/MDSSP obligation by one year.

The only written exception to the BC/BE requirement is for folks who took STRAP, in which case you can get it beginning in your R3 year. But again, this pushes out your obligation by one year.
No one ever mentioned 100,000.
No one's mentioned $100,000 because it was a typo on my part. You are correct. It's $120K. My bad.
I am not trying to be argumentative, I just wonder if we're discussing the same things.
We are. Although it sounds confusing, there really aren't that many programs for physicians or physicians-to-be. You have MDSSP and had ASR for medical students, you have STRAP for residents, and you have HPLRP and Special Pay for BC/BE docs.
Basically I just want to know if I do sign up, could I do the 100-120,000 loan repayment without additional years on top of the 8?
You serve the year-for-year ($40k/year) requirement of HPLRP concurrently with your 8 year MSO. No additional years. If you look into other programs that have their own obligation (STRAP, MDSSP, Special Pay, though not ASR), you do not serve out your obligation concurrently but consecutively.

Hope this helps clear things up...