Ashamed in your lack of confidence??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thread about that facebook group for grey's anatomy converts made me think of how little confidence I tend to place in people I know that magically "convert" to a desire to be a doctor. It seems that recently more and more of my friends from high-school are now (out of the blue) deciding that they would like to pursue a medical career. I try to be supportive of their decision and to offer any helpful advice I can give.....but I secretly have little confidence in their pursuit or ability to go through all the struggles invovled with the process. I think to myself, "Well we'll see how you feel about this decision in three years". I feel ashamed about this, but after going through premed classes, the mcat, and now the application process I have less and less belief in others.....I feel awful sometimes about this....
Does anyone else find themselves doing the same thing??

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. I can't relate at all. I'm more concerned with MY application process which leaves me little time to worry incessantly about the processes of others. I wish the best to anyone who decides they want to pursue a career in medicine. It is not for me to judge if they are *fit* to be a physicians just because they made their decision later than mine or for any other factor for that matter. :luck:

Nope. I can't relate at all. I'm more concerned with MY application process which leaves me little time to worry incessantly about the processes of others. I wish the best to anyone who decides they want to pursue a career in medicine. It is not for me to judge if they are *fit* to be a physicians just because they made their decision later than mine or for any other factor for that matter. :luck:

Exactly.
Spend the time getting your apps together quicker/better/whatever and not 'worry' that others won't be able to hack it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I meet a lot of freshman who come in as "pre-med," and I always think to myself how unlikely it is that they'll actually make it to med school - I think statistically only about 10% (or less) of those who start out college as pre-med end up making it. Still, it's best to be supportive for those 10% that will make it - help them out and be supportive, despite what you may be thinking inside your head. I guarantee the ones you help that make it will be very grateful to you later. As for the ones that aren't going to make it, it's better that they just figure it out for themselves (hopefully before they apply).

I think you are mis-understanding me....

I dont dwell on this at all....and believe me I do focus incessantly on my own app. process.....I am just referring to what Chad said, the fact that at the moment someone comes up to you and says, "hey I wanna be a doctor now", a lack of confidence pops up in my head naturally b/c of statistical chance....that's all....I think to myself "do these guys truly understand what they are getting into or are they doing b/c they think it'd be cool or something....and I am supportive of their endeavors...but I tend towards skepticism (or maybe pessimism) initially

You guys honestly NEVER feel this way when a freshman tells you about wanting to be a doctor???? You make me feel like the devil or something

Last edited:
they're competition so don't feel bad if they don't make it. just say reasonable things, things that aren't so pessimistic or optimistic

I dont dwell on this at all....and believe me I do focus incessantly on my own app. process.....I am just referring to what Chad said, the fact that at the moment someone comes up to you and says, "hey I wanna be a doctor now", a lack of confidence pops up in my head naturally b/c of statistical chance....that's all....I think to myself "do these guys truly understand what they are getting into or are they doing b/c they think it'd be cool or something....and I am supportive of their endeavors...but I tend towards skepticism (or maybe pessimism) initially

You guys honestly NEVER feel this way when a freshman tells you about wanting to be a doctor????

Honestly no. :eek: I'm a very social person so most of my conversations have nothing to do with academic matters.

When was the last time you went to Krispy Kreme with a date? :love:

they're competition so don't feel bad if they don't make it. just say reasonable things, things that aren't so pessimistic or optimistic

That's exactly what I do when I talk to people like that. I try to leave the playing field open....no overconfidence or pessimism.....
even if in my mind I tend towards pessimism (understand too, that these are people I know well and some just dont do the intellectual schooling thing at all eg. kids who never even had interest in college let alon medical school, now deciding to turn from construction work to 8 years of intense schooling)

You guys honestly NEVER feel this way when a freshman tells you about wanting to be a doctor???? You make me feel like the devil or something

I know exactly what you mean. There are tons of people running around talking about how they are pre-med or might decide to pursue medicine, when the majority have no clue what the process entails or how competitive it truly is. It is a beast of an endeavor and I feel like many are unaware of the challenges they will face. But I wish everyone the best and I am sure things will turn out for the best in the end for both the ignorant and the informed.

Good God, people are pissy today.

I agree with you, RockyDoc, and Chad. I got the "im premed...no, really. No, REALLY" so many times I learned to just smile and nod. I also love how afterwards they're always like "well, it was CLEAR that it wasn't meant to be...I'd SO much rather be a lawyer/businessman/whatever than a doctor...medicine is going to hell anyway".

And I'm like, mhm, you failed chem. Tell it like it is, kid.

It IS sad, but what can you do? At least we don't have all these poorly committed physicians...

Honestly no. :eek: I'm a very social person so most of my conversations have nothing to do with academic matters.

When was the last time you went to Krispy Kreme with a date? :love:

haha....krispy kreme is all out of business around me....so sad huh

and I dont focus on academic matters with people but it does come up every once in awhile...like the old "so what are ya doin with your life nowadays?" with people you havent seen in ages
and they say "Actually, Im thinking of going into medicine now"
and your first reaction is "REALLY??????? What made you decide that"

Last edited:
Gotta love the arrogance. Seriously, as mentioned previously, if you wanna make it in this game focus on making yourself the best you can be (in other words, don't get caught up in worrying about other people). Also, as an undergrad pre-med, you've only experienced the tip of the iceberg....just wait until medical school and residency (things are gonna get a whole lot worse before they get better). Having said that, I'm not trying to deter anyone from going this route, but you need to be aware of what it fully entails (oh ****, I sound like Law2Doc...go ****in' figure).

Last edited:
In my health professions college we had ~15 "premeds" freshman year. By the end of that year that number dropped to 3, and one of those three currently has a 2.5 GPA I believe.

They weed out fast. Not to mention all those that consider themselves pre-med yet semester after semester are on academic probation. I know of at least three.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? Some people need to relax. Sure, applying to medical school is an arduous process, but come on...

Last edited:
Gotta love the arrogance...

Its not arrogance b/c I dont think that I am somehow better than them.....I just naturally feel reserved about their decision...its more of a reflex that has been created after all of the hardships I have personally endured for the same endeavor

It would be like if you are a regular marathon runner and some kid you've known since elementary school, who has never worked out before in his entire life, comes up to you one day and says, "hey that is something I think I want to do" and you would naturally think "Ok, we'll see, after about three weeks of intense training how you still feel" However, you will still support him

Sorry if this sounds brash, but you need to stop worrying about what other people are doing/thinking and focus on yourself. It's really none of your business what other people are doing with their lives. I had the exact same problem throughout college and I put myself at a disadvantage and ended up falling behind my peers. You have to figure out what works for YOU.

Sorry if this sounds brash, but you need to stop worrying about what other people are doing/thinking and focus on yourself. It's really none of your business what other people are doing with their lives. I had the exact same problem throughout college and I put myself at a disadvantage and ended up falling behind my peers. You have to figure out what works for YOU.
A lack of confidence? Please.... :smuggrin:

yeah, who cares what people are going to major in or doing. pre-med has got to be the most common of all pathways in college.
"what are you studying?"
"uh...pre-med huh huh"

and wow rocky, you sure do keep your friends...seriously, elementary school friend? wow, you sure do keep up. most of the people i've known in school and my past are long gone and i wouldn't recognize them from a random stranger on the street. (damn the CIA! *smirk*)

Its not arrogance b/c I dont think that I am somehow better than them.....I just naturally feel reserved about their decision...its more of a reflex that has been created after all of the hardships I have personally endured for the same endeavor

It would be like if you are a regular marathon runner and some kid you've known since elementary school, who has never worked out before in his entire life, comes up to you one day and says, "hey that is something I think I want to do" and you would naturally think "Ok, we'll see, after about three weeks of intense training how you still feel" However, you will still support him

To clarify, I didn't mean you in particular (I was rather referring to the overall tone of the thread). I see your point; however, if you go into it doubting the person, I think this inherently negates the support you give--"well I know you're probably not going to make it, but I got your back" kind of thing.

yeah, who cares what people are going to major in or doing. pre-med has got to be the most common of all pathways in college.
"what are you studying?"
"uh...pre-med huh huh"

and wow rocky, you sure do keep your friends...seriously, elementary school friend? wow, you sure do keep up. most of the people i've known in school and my past are long gone and i wouldn't recognize them from a random stranger on the street. (damn the CIA! *smirk*)

well I went to a tiny little elementary school and most of those people went to the same highschool as I did...and now I go to the same church as many of them...and there ya go....kinda sweet and heartwarming isnt it, haha :)

and for the last time, I am not focusing on these people's problems, or meddling with their lives...(I dont do this to people I dont know)...this is just a reflex thought which enters when I hear stuff like it....and then I am supportive...I think if many of you were honest you would say the same....I dont see how this has any potential to affect my personal performance in school....you dont have to try to be all superior in your political correctness of "everyone succeeds" or whatever

To clarify, I didn't mean you in particular (I was rather referring to the overall tone of the thread). I see your point; however, if you go into it doubting the person, I think this inherently negates the support you give--"well I know you're probably not going to make it, but I got your back" kind of thing.

Excellent point. And that is why I say that I am ashamed of that reflex thought....it counters my supportive actions....but I feel like I cant help it sometimes...I wanted to see if any other premeds out there have the same "issue"

I'm surprised so many of you are condemning people who chose medicine late in the game. What about the non-trads that give up a career to pursue medicine? What if you were one of those people who didn't know what the wanted to do when they were in high school? I chose medicine 1/2 way through junior year of college, and it worked out for me, does this mean I wont be serious about my job as a doctor?

I think the problem with this line of thinking is that you are trying to make it sound like your reason to become a doctor is somehow "better" than theirs is. Just what the would needs, more doctors that feel "entitled" to things in life, which seems to be the case in that you feel like you would deserve a spot in a medical school more than them.

Seriously, get over yourself

I deal with this using the facts. Someone comes up and says they are pre-med, the first thing I ask is, what is your GPA, and how did you do on the core pre med classes. If they are near 4.0 students, I encourage them. If they are more like 3.0 students, I know in the back of my mind they most likely won't make it, but try to not put them down (at the same time try not to waste my time giving them advice etc). Also, my philosphy is tell ALL pre-med freshmen that they can do it if they really try hard. Then, after freshman year, if they really tried their best and couldn't do better then a 3.3 or something, then I know where they stand. This wat its not a lack of confidence in others, it's being realistic based on facts.

well I went to a tiny little elementary school and most of those people went to the same highschool as I did...and now I go to the same church as many of them...and there ya go....kinda sweet and heartwarming isnt it, haha :)

and for the last time, I am not focusing on these people's problems, or meddling with their lives...(I dont do this to people I dont know)...this is just a reflex thought which enters when I hear stuff like it....and then I am supportive...I think if many of you were honest you would say the same....I dont see how this has any potential to affect my personal performance in school....you dont have to try to be all superior in your political correctness of "everyone succeeds" or whatever

wow, did you grow up in the boonies? :D
most of my classmates and schools were from here and there. no common group of thugs from school to school. if that were the case, i'd do just about anything to get them off my back and stop messing my **** up. cause that's about all they'd do.

i think it's natural to feel "omg, i don't think they're qualified" or "pfft, that person hasn't gone through the same heartache as me" or "that person's too much of an idiot..." but why not support them. pre-med is way common. it's not like they're wanting to be *JUST LIKE YOU* and cloning themselves after you because they don't have a history. heh, that would be a different story.

You guys seriously need to CHILL OUT. Rocky, myself, and others don't think were "hot ****" or that "were better than everyone." Its just a matter of fact that most people who say they are "pre-med" don't end up going that route. That doesn't mean we don't encourage them or support them, but personally when someone tells me they're pre-med I take it with a grain of salt.

It's not about being in others peoples business or caring what other people do, the point of this thread is simply to point out the drop-out rate of pre-medical students, nothing more. We're not tooting our own horns here. You guys need to get off Rocky's back and stop being so judgemental and agressive.

I deal with this using the facts. Someone comes up and says they are pre-med, the first thing I ask is, what is your GPA, and how did you do on the core pre med classes. If they are near 4.0 students, I encourage them. If they are more like 3.0 students, I know in the back of my mind they most likely won't make it, but try to not put them down (at the same time try not to waste my time giving them advice etc). Also, my philosphy is tell ALL pre-med freshmen that they can do it if they really try hard. Then, after freshman year, if they really tried their best and couldn't do better then a 3.3 or something, then I know where they stand. This wat its not a lack of confidence in others, it's being realistic based on facts.

I think you summed up what I am trying to say nicely.....:thumbup:

And to FreakinHugeMD, there are no entitlement issues....if someone is capable of making it, they will make it no matter when they enter the game...Im not making blanket statements about latecomers...I feel this way with people who have a solid track record of not persevering at much of anything....hence the skepticism (not to be confused with damnation to failure)...of course they are capable of change and can possibly make it...it just tends to seem like a bleak road ahead for them.......

how would you react if I came up to you and starting telling you how I am soooo ready for residency b/c I've worked 60 hours a week a McDonalds for the past 8 years and have awesome grades...or something like that....what would your gut reaction be??

I'm surprised so many of you are condemning people who chose medicine late in the game. What about the non-trads that give up a career to pursue medicine? What if you were one of those people who didn't know what the wanted to do when they were in high school? I chose medicine 1/2 way through junior year of college, and it worked out for me, does this mean I wont be serious about my job as a doctor?

I think the problem with this line of thinking is that you are trying to make it sound like your reason to become a doctor is somehow "better" than theirs is. Just what the would needs, more doctors that feel "entitled" to things in life, which seems to be the case in that you feel like you would deserve a spot in a medical school more than them.

Seriously, get over yourself

I'm not condemning non-traditional applicants or those of us who became pre-med at later points in our college (or post-graduate careers). I didn't decide to apply to med school until the summer between sophomore and junior year. I think that, when mos people first consider medicine as a career, they're just unaware of the commitment and hard work involved. Plus, if only 1/10 of the people who start out pre-med make it to medical school, it's only reasonable to think in the back of your mind that this person might not make it.

I'm not trying to make us out to be better than those other students, but I think it's natural to have doubts about people that just randomly say "I want to go to med school and be a doctor" because most of them have no idea what it takes to reach that goal.

You guys seriously need to CHILL OUT. Rocky, myself, and others don't think were "hot ****" or that "were better than everyone." Its just a matter of fact that most people who say they are "pre-med" don't end up going that route. That doesn't mean we don't encourage them or support them, but personally when someone tells me they're pre-med I take it with a grain of salt.

It's not about being in others peoples business or caring what other people do, the point of this thread is simply to point out the drop-out rate of pre-medical students, nothing more. We're not tooting our own horns here. You guys need to get off Rocky's back and stop being so judgemental and agressive.

nah, i think most professionals take anyone wanting to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc, take it with a grain of salt, so this thread is just like stating the obvious.

then again, this thread could be written in orwellian english and could be about something totally different than regular run of the mill medical school. in that case, "working at mcdonalds" should count toward your experience :rolleyes:

Thanks bud.....this has totally turned into the battle of the realist and the idealists or something like that(and please, no one start talking about realism and idealism again)....this thread wasnt meant to do that

Thanks bud.....this has totally turned into the battle of the realist and the idealists or something like that(and please, no one start talking about realism and idealism again)....this thread wasnt meant to do that

so bottom line is...your thread is about the mass amounts of people who go pre-med who never make it? lol :eek: like omg. ;)

Excellent point. And that is why I say that I am ashamed of that reflex thought....it counters my supportive actions....but I feel like I cant help it sometimes...I wanted to see if any other premeds out there have the same "issue"

I think that with anything that's difficult in life, individuals have to prove themselves before getting taken seriously (whether it be in medicine, athletics, etc.). Consequently, I don't think your reaction is intrinsically terrible. But too often, individuals start to embrace this idea and start believing in their own superiority. Anyway, let the the adcoms be the judge of who's fit to enter medicine and who isn't; it's your job is to make yourself the best applicant you can be.

The thread about that facebook group for grey's anatomy converts made me think of how little confidence I tend to place in people I know that magically "convert" to a desire to be a doctor.

i think from the outside, I probably appear as one of those magical converts. But I've had enough determination/desire to get through all the premed classes, mcat, primary, and a few secondaries.

Just worry about your own app, and if those people really don't want it, then you are right, there's no way they'll have enough energy to do the entire exhausting process.

It's a toss-up for me. I work w/ a lot of undergrads who are considering medicine. And I think that a lot of them would do great, and should they ask for any help, I would be more than happy to answer questions or whatnot. But yes, every so often I run into somebody I either worked w/ or had class w/ who pretty much introduce themselves as "I'm So-and-So, and I am pre-med!" and I kind of have to wonder if they would be quite so cocky if they knew that w/ their work ethic (or lack of one) they would have a hard time w/ the process. But as many others have said, it's none of my business what others are doing. I tell them "good luck" and switch the subject.

I know how you guys feel. Many many times I meet other freshmen who brag about their 4.5 in high school but are doing terrible in their beginner bio and chem classes. I meet alot of those. So it sorta lessens my faith in the incoming pre-med freshmen.

Second of all, I also meet alot of sophomore and juniors who brag about being pre-med. But I know their grades (small school so you know who gets the A's and whatnot) and they can't get into med school for ****. I'm sorry buddy, but ure a junior with a 2.7 gpa with two failed classes that you retook and have no volunteer exp? Aside from the stupid clubs? Lol. If it happens in front of me, I tend to call them out. I ask whats ure gpa and ure ec's, mcats etc. ;p edited out jeeeeez peopleeee

I hate these type of people because they like to brag about their pre-med major and two things will happen. 1) people will admire them for absolutely nothing. 2) people will associate their **** work ethic with the medical profession. Thus they become skeptical of all the pre-meds.

Now when someone asks me what I am, I usually say Im undecided. Sometimes my friends pipe up and say im pre-med. And I get the ooooo's and ahhhs which i find irritating. Then some bitch asks me my gpa, and i usually give it out to validate my "pre-medness" if you know what i mean. I hate giving out my gpa, because I hate to sound elitist. Anyways, end of story is to avoid it and just say undecided and let people judge you as a person, not as a major.

Edit: I used to be worried as to be considered stupid for being *undecided* but in reality, the people that judge you on ure major are worthless. I know tons of these people that look down on other majors cuz it might be not as glamorous or hard. Don't associate with these people, they are immature and childish. end of story!

Last edited:
Second of all, I also meet alot of sophomore and juniors who brag about being pre-med. But I know their grades (small school so you know who gets the A's and whatnot) and they can't get into med school for ****. I'm sorry buddy, but ure a junior with a 2.7 gpa with two failed classes that you retook and have no volunteer exp? Aside from the stupid clubs? Lol. If it happens in front of me, I tend to call them out. I ask whats ure gpa and ure ec's, mcats etc. Then I usually blow them apart by stating the reality of medicine.
That's right-put them in their place! Keep up the good work big guy!

That's right-put them in their place! Keep up the good work big guy!

Blah, I come across as a dousche, but I can't stand people that use it as a status thing. It's like yelling out im smart im smart im smart. When in reality you're not, and keep your cocky self out of my face. blahh

The best way to cure this lack of confidence is Enzyte. Just look at how happy Bob is.

But honestly, I wouldn't feel guilty about not believing these people. It was difficult and you've lived to tell the tale, and it's not something anyone would want to just do. Plus, it's natural to have doubt regarding other's abilities.

It's like watching little kids go, "I'm going to be the president!" or "I'm going to be a supermodel" Ofcourese in your mind you are really saying, "Not with that ice cream you're not!"

It's like watching little kids go, "I'm going to be the president!" or "I'm going to be a supermodel" Ofcourese in your mind you are really saying, "Not with that ice cream you're not!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ice cream rules!

as eddie murphy taunted
"you don't have no iceee cream...you didn't get none...you didn't get none...you didn't get none...cause you are on the welfare...and can't afford it...YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT, YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT....and his father is an alcoholic...you want to eat some of my ice cream...wanna lick? SIKE!! *drop*"

[youtube]2JfMCBh1sJQ[/youtube]

The thread about that facebook group for grey's anatomy converts made me think of how little confidence I tend to place in people I know that magically "convert" to a desire to be a doctor. It seems that recently more and more of my friends from high-school are now (out of the blue) deciding that they would like to pursue a medical career. I try to be supportive of their decision and to offer any helpful advice I can give.....but I secretly have little confidence in their pursuit or ability to go through all the struggles invovled with the process. I think to myself, "Well we'll see how you feel about this decision in three years". I feel ashamed about this, but after going through premed classes, the mcat, and now the application process I have less and less belief in others.....I feel awful sometimes about this....
Does anyone else find themselves doing the same thing??

dude, you worry about some strange things....

so bottom line is...your thread is about the mass amounts of people who go pre-med who never make it? lol :eek: like omg. ;)

:laugh: I know right! like I am sooooo amazingly original I want to tinkle all over myself sometimes......but seriously, I think we all understand this concept....I was just curious as to who, if anyone, does take it with a grain of salt or lack of confidence

:laugh: I know right! like I am sooooo amazingly original I want to tinkle all over myself sometimes......but seriously, I think we all understand this concept....I was just curious as to who, if anyone, does take it with a grain of salt or lack of confidence

that's like asking who gets that weird tingle pressure when they need to go pee :p

but i agree. i think it's best to be *unoriginal* and like the rest, so i'm going to be a pre-med. i mean, i thought it was just the thing to do, after that i'm going to join the army because any little originality i did have was eaten by the three brats i don't even know. so gotta keep it as general as possible.

do people still even call themselves "pre-med" anymore? that title is just so....so.....shameful

do people still even call themselves "pre-med" anymore? that title is just so....so.....shameful

of course they do. they wear it like a badge of grey aliens on the mothership.

dude, you worry about some strange things....

this is a symptom of my med application induced neuroticism mixed with the boredom of my present occupation

anything claimed with a "pre" in front of it is inherently shameful.....its the aristocracy of the plebians

i always have laugh when people introduce themselves on the first day of class (mostly freshmen) and say something along the line of:

"MY NAME IS (insert name here) I'M A BIOLOGY MAJOR AND PRE-MED"

the GSI just asked for your major but thank you for the info :thumbup:

i always have laugh when people introduce themselves on the first day of class (mostly freshmen) and say something along the line of:

really? do they even bother with the "biology major" part?

most already have an intricate well thought plan to boot.......
freshman chem lab convo....
"I premed....yeah, Im pretty sure I want to be a cardiologist and do open heart surgery and stuff like that....and Im shooting for Johns Hopkins...I cant really see myself going anywhere else" (background of crappiest grades in the class and mental breakdowns before every exam)
fast forward 2 years and "yeah, I've decided to be a PA because I think I need a life and a famly"

true story...........................and WABAMMMM!!!!!!! The seeds of skepticism were fertilized in my mind, I must be CRAZY!!!!!!!!!:D

PS. I do know some brilliant people who went the PA route for truly pure reasons.

Last edited: