Asian Applicant with 3.65 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 510 MCAT. Need help putting together School list (MD/DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pspguy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am an Asian applicant from South Carolina applying to medical school. I take the MCAT July 22nd, but have been scoring around 509-510 on diagnostics, so for the sake of this thread let's just assume I make a 510 on the MCAT.

I have a 3.65 gpa with a slight upward trend, and my science GPA is a 3.55 because I got a C in gen chem II (didn't retake it) and a C in Organic I (retook it for an A). I managed to pull my gpa up to around a 3.68 as of right now (just graduated), but am probably going to end with around a 3.65 depending on if I finish biochem with a C+ or if I get rounded up to a B.

I have done research as an undergrad, but have had not publications or presentations. There is also a VERY HIGH possibility I will secure a position as an Organic Chemistry II TA this summer while applying, which I will also mention on my application.

ECs:

TA for Cellular/Molecular Biology
Research Assistant in Nicotinic Research Lab at school of Pharmacy (100 hours)
Research Assistant at school of Public Health in Clinical Exercise Research (150 hours)
Clinical Research Assistant in Alzheimer's Research Lab in major SC hospital (a Summer's worth of research)
Head of Scholarship committee for Social Fraternity
200 hours of volunteering/internship with Hospice
20 hours of volunteering with Free Medical Clinic
50 hours of shadowing Plastic Surgeon at University Clinic

My school list is as follows:

USC columbia (mother did residency here)
USC greenville
MUSC
Uconn (Father and Uncle did residency here)
George Washington
New York Medical College
Loyola
Temple
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Rush - Chicago
USUHS - Bethesda, MD
Drexel
Virginia Commenwealth University
Albany
Wake Forest
Hofstra
PCOM (DO)
CCOM (DO)
Edward Via - Carolinas Campus (DO)
Nova Southeastern (DO)

Is this a good list? Are there any schools I should take off, or any I should include? I was also looking for one or two more DO schools to apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
for Uniformed Services make sure you understand what the military path involves and how much your life will be influenced by the decision to go there (if you get accepted).

Thank you for that response, I'll keep that in mind. Anyone else please mind just taking out a second to look over my list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the list looks good, maybe add a few more low-tier schools to account for the racial-discrimination against Asians in MD admissions. Asians with "average" stats (3.4 - 3.6 GPA/MCAT 27 - 35) have considerably lower acceptance rates than Whites with similar stats and far, far, lower acceptance rates than other minorities with similar stats (see AAMC Table A-24 for stats).

I think the list looks good, maybe add a few more low-tier schools to account for the racial-discrimination against Asians in MD admissions. Asians with "average" stats (3.4 - 3.6 GPA/MCAT 27 - 35) have considerably lower acceptance rates than Whites with similar stats and far, far, lower acceptance rates than other minorities with similar stats (see AAMC Table A-24 for stats).

Thank you for the response. Would you mind listing some of these schools?

Thank you for the response. Would you mind listing some of these schools?

Tulane and University of Kentucky come to mind (Tulane might especially interest you because they are private thus have no state-preference and have stats similar to yours)
Take a look at this list for schools that have MCAT similar to what you may be expecting and GPA that is slightly higher (list includes %out-of-state interviewed and accepted):

Get rid of hofstra (unless you are considering it as one of your reaches). They like seeing high stats and/or prestigious undergrads to boost up their rankings and reputation

Last edited:
Looks good. You being asian is somewhat countered by a relatively good state (SC). I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just get your ducks in row early.

Ha ha I like the way this thread is going!:corny::corny:

I wish it weren't necessary to bring up race, but I feel it is best to advise Asian applicants that they are inherently at a disadvantage when they are applying because of biases against Asians. Below are the acceptance rates for "average" applicants by race/ethnicity according to AAMC data. Applying as Asian effectively serves as a handicap. Also, OP be prepared to answer questions such as "did your parents push you into medicine?" that people from other racial groups don't have to worry about. Good luck!

upload_2016-5-9_19-16-22.png

Tulane and University of Kentucky come to mind (Tulane might especially interest you because they are private thus have no state-preference and have stats similar to yours)
Take a look at this list for schools that have MCAT similar to what you may be expecting and GPA that is slightly higher (list includes %out-of-state interviewed and accepted):

Where did you get that nifty table you screenshotted? I've been looking for a list of schools online sorted by MCAT/GPA Averages

You could add Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan and any new private schools that open in 2017 (Henricopolis, Roseman, etc.)

You could add Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan and any new private schools that open in 2017 (Henricopolis, Roseman, etc.)

There are new private schools opening up? Would these schools be easier to get into?

There are new private schools opening up? Would these schools be easier to get into?
Roseman is the most likely to open in 2017 and yes they are easier to get into the 1st application season because many applicants are not aware of them so they have a relatively low number of applicants.

Roseman is the most likely to open in 2017 and yes they are easier to get into the 1st application season because many applicants are not aware of them so they have a relatively low number of applicants.

They may or may not be easier to get into, depending on if the school has a clearly defined "target applicant". However, the other consideration with new schools is that they would have no track record of successful USMLE exam taking or residency matching.