Asian in rural practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have nothing to fear except for your stupid reasoning and misinformed misconceptions.

Haha, harsh. If true though, then good.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t go to a community college, but my sister and my wife did before they attended dental schools…..they were both too old for high school when they came here.
No offense intended. I just thought it was funny since most Asian parents are SO fixated in the name brand when it comes to schools, just like they're fixated on their kids becoming a doctor or lawyer.
tumblr_l1tqb1px1A1qakgigo1_500.jpg
[
tumblr_l0wgsq0Q1U1qakgigo1_500.jpg

No offense intended. I just thought it was funny since most Asian parents are SO fixated in the name brand when it comes to schools, just like they're fixated on their kids becoming a doctor or lawyer.
tumblr_l1tqb1px1A1qakgigo1_500.jpg
[
tumblr_l0wgsq0Q1U1qakgigo1_500.jpg

Gotta laugh, but that's starting to get insulting. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how far you're willing to move to find your perfect rural town but I would look to Alaska. There's plenty of work and you'll get your misty mountains and streams. Being asian, you'll blend in more than if you were black or hispanic (I hate saying this but it's true).

Have you considered Hawaii?

I heard Alaska's the new untapped hotspot. But I don't know anything about Hawaii. I'd suspect it's pretty saturated, no?

Asian women benefit from racial stereotypes while asian men are harmed by them.

In my younger years, I had a hard time interacting with non-Asian non-Christian people. They were different than me and for whatever reason I just wasn't as comfortable around them. I've had some negative experiences in the past with ignorance, racism, stereotyping whatever.. But now I really don't let it bother me.

This is what I've learned. People are all different. Sometimes, I'm surprised at how ignorant, racist, and close minded people can be. But for every negative experience, I can honestly say I have way more experiences where I am surprised at how open minded, accepting, and understanding people can be.

If you move into a rural area, you might encounter some ignorance and racism. Keep in mind though, that there will probably also be plenty of great people around that will help you forget those encounters.

I've had some negative experiences in the past with ignorance, racism, stereotyping whatever.. But now I really don't let it bother me.

There are stupid and non-stupid people anywhere you go. Also people follow a behavior called groupism. The more different you look/act than them the less they will relate to you and accept you. Especially those from segregated environments. Its just how we evolved to be within our "tribe". Although, as a health professional that xenophobia might be a bit truncated.

Hey, I was wondering if the fact that I'm Asian(east oriental) might affect my capability to either start or buy a rural practice in a small town. I know this probably varies by region, but I imagine there's plenty of small towns where people might not be used to Asians and so I might have more trouble gaining their trust or something. Thoughts?

Hi,

Look at post #18.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=405372

Being an Asian is a plus because patients tend to view asian providers as being smart, competence and attentive to details. The same goes with knowing Kung Fu, being geeky, dog eating, and all the stereotypes associated either good or bad. That is at least what I have experienced. However if you are sloppy, rude, uncaring, then you will lose it all in a heart beat. All you need is a location that demands dentistry and the color of your skin is the least of your worries ( actually it should not be at all).

BTW, Ladies and Gents, be polite when responding to each others. Thanks DP

Last edited:
Hi,

Look at post #18.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=405372

Being an Asian is a plus because patients tend to view asian providers as being smart, competence and attentive to details. The same goes with knowing Kung Fu, being geeky, dog eating, and all the stereotypes associated either good or bad. That is at least what I have experienced. However if you are sloppy, rude, uncaring, then you will lose it all in a heart beat. All you need is a location that demands dentistry and the color of your skin is the least of your worries ( actually it should not be at all).

BTW, Ladies and Gents, be polite when responding to each others. Thanks DP

Gotta agree with Dr. Phan. I think being asian in a rural community is a HUGE plus. Stereotypes are what they are, and for asians it is being smart. I have a friend of mine that I went to dental school with (Dr. Phan taught him too) and he is asian but not the sharpest tool in the shed. He moved to Arkansas and made tons of money. Everybody thought he was smart.

Why is this thread back?

If there are enough patients in the rural area to support your practice any Asian will do fine. Yeah, there will be people who might avoid you and go to another doc due to racism, but not nearly as bad as if you were a woman, or god forbid, a muslim woman. You'll be fine.

My office is right next to front desk and I leave my door open most of the time. Even in the city I live in (one of the top 10 largest in the US) I still hear it from patients.

"So, is the doctor I'm seeing here...male?"
"I can't tell from the last name, but is the doctor here asian?"

I even remember my friend who did internal med residency in a large town in Ohio. He walked in and the patient saw him and sighed, and before they had said anything else to each other the patient said, "Oh, thank god you're white and not an asian."

Bigotry is alive and well, but not as bad as 50 or even 20 years ago, and the few times it will hurt you won't be enough to stop your success.

Why is this thread back?

If there are enough patients in the rural area to support your practice any Asian will do fine. Yeah, there will be people who might avoid you and go to another doc due to racism, but not nearly as bad as if you were a woman, or god forbid, a muslim woman. You'll be fine.

My office is right next to front desk and I leave my door open most of the time. Even in the city I live in (one of the top 10 largest in the US) I still hear it from patients.

"So, is the doctor I'm seeing here...male?"
"I can't tell from the last name, but is the doctor here asian?"

I even remember my friend who did internal med residency in a large town in Ohio. He walked in and the patient saw him and sighed, and before they had said anything else to each other the patient said, "Oh, thank god you're white and not an asian."

Bigotry is alive and well, but not as bad as 50 or even 20 years ago, and the few times it will hurt you won't be enough to stop your success.

"Bigotry is alive and well" as you said but I assure you this is isolated incidence(s). I too have experienced it before but I will not let that sour experience to affect me (and walk around with a chip on my shoulder). Every day, I do consultations for other providers who want second opinion and more often than not, the patients end up wanting me to take over the case. In private practice,the person that provides positive results will win, regardless of the skin color. DP

Yes, well aware of that, Doc Phan. Just pointing out it exists...it doesn't dominate how I act or what I do. I'm just one of those people who believes in remembering it exists. Being hyper-aware of it or oblivious to it are both bad in my view.

Also considering moving from DC to Utah or Washington oregan border to set up shop. I hear rural areas are the place to be. Living in Cali would be ideal but the horrendous amount of competition, low fees and high cost of living just wouldn't be sustainable for student loans and other debt.

Also have similar concerns about moving to rural areas and becoming a popular provider in a small town of mostly isolated Caucasians. Being made fun of your race growing up as a kid is not great. Literally haven't experienced that sort of racism since childhood, until dental school in Michigan. Not from the dental school but the undergrad campus kids. Seriously can't count the number of times stupid white frat boy walked by shouting derogatory comments or being yelled at by some douches in cars "go back to your country!" Like seriously, not cool.

I've had a couple of Caucasian friends question why I want to move back to CA for a massive paycut and more work. I'm Indian and the population is very strong there and in other pockets of the US, so in the future I do hope to make it happen.

The race card is overused (though it seems I'm using it in the above sentence haha) but I've ran into some bigots in Tucson. With that said, Tucson is by no means a small town and there is a sizeable South Asian population which lead me to consider opening a practice here. Honestly I can see dentists of East Asian heritage having a better time in small towns than South Asians and Middle Easterners due to the "stigma" attached to the latter after 9/11.

fyi minorities can be racist too. I used to tutor in East LA and the pupils would tell me to come before 4 PM because thats when the gangs start harassing people that dont fit the racial profile in that neighborhood.

the main thing is dont be a douche, often being a nice person supercedes racial makeup (well except for some few odd places)