ask a former 5 time reapplicant now MS-3 anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May I ask what you did your masters program in?
the second one was a masters in science at midwestern - details in my signature

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, good thread and congratulations.

I'm currently applying for the second time over 3 years after taking some time to improve my application significantly. But I'm doing substantially worse in the interview realm. I have 0 interviews this time around, whereas I had several last time. My MCAT is very solid (97 percentile overall score), and I did an SMP where I only got one B (3.9+ GPA). I've been volunteering and have a job in healthcare with significant patient contact. I'm, for a lack of a better word, not a D-bag. And I don't think I sounded like one at all in my personal statement.

I just don't know what to do. The only thing I can think of is to contact deans of admissions and be like "hey! what's the deal?", but I don't know if that'll hurt me more than anything.

Also, since I'm applying to Texas schools, most of them end their interview cycles next month before Christmas. So their isn't as much time as most out of state folks have. I did, however, recently apply to several DO schools not in Texas. So hopefully they show some interest.

mommy2three, or anyone else, have any thoughts on my situation?

Thanks in advance!

try contacting a local DO who does OMM that may be loosely affiliated with the programs if you are looking DO or shadow an MD>
if you have some serious shadowing experience, sometimes that helps with DO schools especially if you have some insight into what OMM is and how it works.
other than that, you could send a letter or interest stating again why you are interested in that school and why you would be good there that may help. either that or a general update letter to let them know you are still interested.

hopefully you will get some OOS love soon :luck:

Send out to all the do schools that take out of state students....also, have a premed advisor take a look at your statement/packet
Already done. Except a few of them won't take my MCAT because it is more than 3 years old. Ended up sending to about 11 schools total. Now just waiting for AACOMAS to verify and transmit.

try contacting a local DO who does OMM that may be loosely affiliated with the programs if you are looking DO or shadow an MD>
if you have some serious shadowing experience, sometimes that helps with DO schools especially if you have some insight into what OMM is and how it works.
other than that, you could send a letter or interest stating again why you are interested in that school and why you would be good there that may help. either that or a general update letter to let them know you are still interested.

hopefully you will get some OOS love soon :luck:

Thanks for the tips. One of my LORs is from a DO, although he doesn't do OMM since he's an ED physician. I did my SMP at a DO school, so I'm pretty familiar with OMM if that comes up.

I think I'll go ahead and start writing some letters to send out in the next week or two if I still don't hear anything.

I gotta hand it to you though, this is only my second application over 3 cycles, and I'm thinking it's time to throw in the towel if I don't get in. At least in the short term. I just don't know how to improve my application much more, short of going back in time and getting a few better grades in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Already done. Except a few of them won't take my MCAT because it is more than 3 years old. Ended up sending to about 11 schools total. Now just waiting for AACOMAS to verify and transmit.

Thanks for the tips. One of my LORs is from a DO, although he doesn't do OMM since he's an ED physician. I did my SMP at a DO school, so I'm pretty familiar with OMM if that comes up.

I think I'll go ahead and start writing some letters to send out in the next week or two if I still don't hear anything.

I gotta hand it to you though, this is only my second application over 3 cycles, and I'm thinking it's time to throw in the towel if I don't get in. At least in the short term. I just don't know how to improve my application much more, short of going back in time and getting a few better grades in undergrad.

What is your uGPA for TMDSAS and AACOMAS?

actually it was three MCATs s due to the timing difference

and why would i want to? because i knew this is what i wanted, i knew this is what i am supposed to be doing - i know that now more than anything, especially in the clinics and in the hospitals i love where i am.

and i am not an MD, i am a DO and that >>>>>>>>>>>> MD and way >>>>>>>>>> not doing this at all

LOL

carry-on

What is your uGPA for TMDSAS and AACOMAS?

For TMDSAS it's just a little bit over a 3, and for AACOMAS it's either around a 3.15 or 3.25. I can't remember. They haven't verified it, but I could have sworn I saw the calculation on their website somewhere, and I can't seem to find it now.

For TMDSAS it's just a little bit over a 3, and for AACOMAS it's either around a 3.15 or 3.25. I can't remember. They haven't verified it, but I could have sworn I saw the calculation on their website somewhere, and I can't seem to find it now.

Even though you said you have an excellent grad gpa and mcat your uGPA is not helping your cause at 3.0-3.2. You may want to consider a post bacc semester or two with several C or lower retakes to boost your AACOMAS, and to a lesser extent, TMDSAS uGPA. 3-4 retaken Cs to As can bump you around two tenths in AACOMAS. Also how many times did you take the mcat and is it somewhat balanced?

Even though you said you have an excellent grad gpa and mcat your uGPA is not helping your cause at 3.0-3.2. You may want to consider a post bacc semester or two with several C or lower retakes to boost your AACOMAS, and to a lesser extent, TMDSAS uGPA. 3-4 retaken Cs to As can bump you around two tenths in AACOMAS. Also how many times did you take the mcat and is it somewhat balanced?

Took it once. Breakdown is 13, 12, 11.

If you score a 36mcat, retake some of your bad classes, retake your expired mcat and you should be fine in a DO program. If you are just getting weary but love medicine, maybe consider a PA program

I don't have a question but I just wanted to say that you're really awesome and have some serious determination to apply 5 times lol. I know I want to be a doctor and I'm really motivated and 99% positive that this is the path for me but I think 3 cycles would be enough to slap the determination out of me and I would most likely call it quits and move on. I hope you're journey through medical school is amazing! Thanks for sharing your story and best of luck! :)

If you score a 36mcat, retake some of your bad classes, retake your expired mcat and you should be fine in a DO program. If you are just getting weary but love medicine, maybe consider a PA program

Well, I'm thinking if I don't get in this round I'll probably pursue something else for at least 4-5 years, rebuild my app during that time and reapply (if I'm still up for it by then). Plus, I hear PA programs tend to actually be more competitive than MD/DO, and I really don't want to go to work everyday and have a doctor telling me what to do. I work in a clinical setting with MDs and PAs, and I just don't want to have the work relationship I see. I know mid-level practioners do a lot of good and have more independence in different areas of the country, but I'm just not that type of person.

But, thanks for your help and insight. Really hoping AACOMAS finishes verifying my app soon and gets it out. I think I have a shot if I can just get an interview.

LOL

carry-on

For me personally what I said was true. Having spent time in both camps so to speak I know I would have had a much harder time had I gone md- not because of the coursework, but because the people around me would have added an unnecessary level of stress into what is already an extremely stressful situation

I am inspired by your determination. Congratulations on staying motivated and working hard for what you want. I am 6 months out of undergrad (Biology major, GPA 3.96). I am now working in a hospital but mostly on the public health/administrative side. I shadow a physician 10 hours/week in addition to volunteering as a HIV & syphilis tester and counselor. I have additional patient contact hours from previous internships...I will be registering for the May 23rd MCAT and I plan to apply during the upcoming cycle. What advice can you give for pulling together a very strong application.

Thanks for sharing your story with those of us on the med school application journey.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me personally what I said was true. Having spent time in both camps so to speak I know I would have had a much harder time had I gone md- not because of the coursework, but because the people around me would have added an unnecessary level of stress into what is already an extremely stressful situation

Thanks for sharing your story, as a re-applicant myself I can definitely relate. I do however think that re-applicants should understand what they sign up for whether they go the MD or DO route, particularly when it comes to interviewing for residency positions. I know great docs on both sides, but the interviewing and residency application process can be pretty brutal. I think it best to be best informed about the pros and cons of going either route.

Best of luck! Again, your determination is something to be admired.

Don't consider a PA program as a back up. A lot of schools are competitive with accepted class averages of 3.5. If I remember correctly DO averages are around 3.4. Many professional fields are becoming very competitive in this recession.

Don't consider a PA program as a back up. A lot of schools are competitive with accepted class averages of 3.5. If I remember correctly DO averages are around 3.4. Many professional fields are becoming very competitive in this recession.

Sorry, for not being clear....just sayinng the program is shorter

Are you really saying that PA school is harder to get admitted to than DO school?

Congrats on your success. you are very tenacious. What is your commute to school ? I am a mum of 3 also staring in the fall and I have a 1 hour commute.

Last edited:
Congrats on your success. you are very tenacious. What is your commute to school ? I am a mum of 3 also staring in the fall and I have a 1 hour commute.

my commute to school campus was about an hour - my commute to rotation sites as been about 20 minutes to an hour and a half

What about finances? After all those years of applying a SMP and then finally med school... if you don't mind me asking how did you deal with all of the debt and do you think it'll be worth it once you've graduated med school? I mean yes you can have the passion for something, but the fact is that that is a ton of money and and a ton of debt that you'll be taking a chunk of your paycheck to pay off.

What about finances? After all those years of applying a SMP and then finally med school... if you don't mind me asking how did you deal with all of the debt and do you think it'll be worth it once you've graduated med school? I mean yes you can have the passion for something, but the fact is that that is a ton of money and and a ton of debt that you'll be taking a chunk of your paycheck to pay off.

Sometimes I wonder if it will all be worth it.
But there are good consolidation/forgiveness programs out there for people who work for charitable organizations for 10 years and most hospitals are charitable organizations - I plan to apply for some of those type of programs and there are good programs out there for primary care doctors

I think most any type of public service + 120 on-time loan payments (1 payment per month for 10 years) will result in loan forgiveness. But Im not familiar with all the details.

I think most any type of public service + 120 on-time loan payments (1 payment per month for 10 years) will result in loan forgiveness. But Im not familiar with all the details.

This is the program they gave us details on at med school orientation
Will be getting final details soonish I anticipate
I know a few people who did this last year and the paperwork from what I understand has to be filled out before you graduate