Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It depends on where you are stationed, if you've deployed or not when a brigade slot opens up, and whether you've done the 1 year AEGD. If you are stationed at a post with few brigades, then obviously your odds of being assigned to a brigade are lower than a post with several brigades. If you are stationed at a post and a brigade slot opens up, sometimes they fill the slot with a DENTAC dentist that hasn't deployed yet. The most likely way to get assigned to a brigade is to do a 1 year AEGD. After you finish the AEGD the Army typically sends you straight to a brigade slot, usually by PCSing you somewhere with an open brigade slot. Its the Army's way of getting paid back for that year of training they just gave you. One of the goals of the AEGD is to provide dentists with the skills to be the only dentist for a brigade and handle anything that is thrown their way.

only one out of the eight in my AEGD went to a brigade.

Members don't see this ad.

i sent my application was completed towards the end of December and was sent for review on the 5th of January.

they returned the application and said i needed a waiver for a misdemeanor I had when i was 16yrs old. I went through the process of writing the letter and interviewing with the commander and she granted me the waiver and my application was sent to the board to be reviewed at the beginning of this month.

Im wondering how soon i would know if i received the HPSP scholarship?

i sent my application was completed towards the end of December and was sent for review on the 5th of January.

they returned the application and said i needed a waiver for a misdemeanor I had when i was 16yrs old. I went through the process of writing the letter and interviewing with the commander and she granted me the waiver and my application was sent to the board to be reviewed at the beginning of this month.

Im wondering how soon i would know if i received the HPSP scholarship?

Once the board meets it can take up to 2-3 weeks for the results to be released. Your recruiter will be the best one to get an estimate from on when they expect the results back.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding New York State does not accept the NERBs and requires a GPR for a state license. My question is: does the 4 year hpsp take the place of a GPR? I know that after a specific amount of time practicing, NY gives reciprocity--I think 5 years maybe. I live in NY and hope to stay in NY after my HPSP commitment, however, I would prefer not to have to do a GPR after 4 years of practicing.

I appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks!

From my understanding New York State does not accept the NERBs and requires a GPR for a state license. My question is: does the 4 year hpsp take the place of a GPR? I know that after a specific amount of time practicing, NY gives reciprocity--I think 5 years maybe. I live in NY and hope to stay in NY after my HPSP commitment, however, I would prefer not to have to do a GPR after 4 years of practicing.

I appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks!

No. You would have to do the AEGD in the military just like you would on the outside. Doing the AEGD would require an extra year of payback - so you would have both 5 yrs in the military and an AEGD - covered either way.

I was applying for the 3 Year HPSP. The recruiter I was working with told me that the next board date was later in March, so I needed to have my application complete by the end of February. I called the recruiter recently to verify if they received my application and was told that there are no more scholarships available. Can anybody verify this? My recruiter made everything seem like it would work out and it would be in on time before they meet. Then suddenly I make a call and everything is already finalized. If that is the case is there a 2 Year HPSP available, and when would be the earliest time that I can apply? Thanks

No. You would have to do the AEGD in the military just like you would on the outside. Doing the AEGD would require an extra year of payback - so you would have both 5 yrs in the military and an AEGD - covered either way.

right. NYS does require 1 yr of add'l clinical training b/f you get the license. 4 yrs of active in army after HPSP is not training; it is just working, so it does not count. you'd need to do either AEGD or GPR (avail in navy) in add'n to the 4 yr requirement (5 yrs in the military). so many students choose to (military or not) practice in areas like NJ, DC, or MD to save 1 yr, where there's no such requirement.

I was applying for the 3 Year HPSP. The recruiter I was working with told me that the next board date was later in March, so I needed to have my application complete by the end of February. I called the recruiter recently to verify if they received my application and was told that there are no more scholarships available. Can anybody verify this? My recruiter made everything seem like it would work out and it would be in on time before they meet. Then suddenly I make a call and everything is already finalized. If that is the case is there a 2 Year HPSP available, and when would be the earliest time that I can apply? Thanks

as you probably know already, historically there are much fewer 3 yr HPSP available than 4 yr. it seems (including my own experience) the recruiters often sound all too well and good, but then change things at the very last minute, so you may want to not rely on what the recruiters say 100% all the time.

i thought the 2 yr HPSPs are only available in medical, not dental. i'm not sure about 2 1/2 yr, but i do know that it'd incur 3 yr service obligation.

as you probably know already, historically there are much fewer 3 yr HPSP available than 4 yr. it seems (including my own experience) the recruiters often sound all too well and good, but then change things at the very last minute, so you may want to not rely on what the recruiters say 100% all the time.

i thought the 2 yr HPSPs are only available in medical, not dental. i'm not sure about 2 1/2 yr, but i do know that it'd incur 3 yr service obligation.

Dental does have the ability to award a 2 yr scholarship, but they are only done in very rare and selective circumstances. This has been and probably will continue to be the trend as long as the 3 and 4 yr scholarships are all fully awarded each year.

Other options - wait until you graduate and then look at loan repayment plans the Army, National Guard, or Army Reserve (The Army Reserve has the best loan repayment program in my opinion) can offer.

Dental does have the ability to award a 2 yr scholarship, but they are only done in very rare and selective circumstances. This has been and probably will continue to be the trend as long as the 3 and 4 yr scholarships are all fully awarded each year.

Other options - wait until you graduate and then look at loan repayment plans the Army, National Guard, or Army Reserve (The Army Reserve has the best loan repayment program in my opinion) can offer.

How is the Reserve's loan repayment different from the Guard's?

How is the Reserve's loan repayment different from the Guard's?

Last year the Reserve extended Loan repayment for up to 6 yrs and $250k. I am not sure if there are other sign on bonus with that or not.

Active duty is still 4 yrs unless you had HPSP and then you can only use loan repayment for any years less than the max 4 HPSP. So if you had a 3 yr HPSP you could do the active loan repayment for 1 yr.

I was just curious if anyone knows how many 4-yr Army HPSP scholarships are remaining for this last board in March? (there have already been two boards)

only one out of the eight in my AEGD went to a brigade.
Im a little Johnny Come Lately on this post but:

Breakdown of assignments of my AEGD Class

1. Dental Company, Germany
2. Brigade Dentist, 10th MTN, Ft Polk, LA
3. Brigade Dentist, 3rd ID, Ft Stewart, GA
4. Brigade Dentist, 101st Abn, Ft Campbell, KY
5. Brigade Dentist, 1st CAV, Ft Hood, TX
6. 257th Medical Company, Ft Bragg, NC
7. Dental Company, Korea
8. Brigade Dentist, 25th ID, Schofield Barracks, HI

You're definitely more likely to wind up in a brigade by doing a 1 year AEGD. More goes into the decision making process than simply the completion of a program. Much depends on the number of brigade slots opening up in a given year. The year after my AEGD almost none went to a TO&E unit. But being a brigade dentist is actually one of the best jobs in the Army, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm currently knocking out a degree in Enviromental Science and plan to graduate in the Fall 2013, and I had a couple of questions..I plan on taking the Dat Spring 2013 and applying to Dental School around the same time, for admission for Fall 2014..I'm prior service, 6 years active duty, honorably discharged with an Re-1 code, and I'm strongly considering joining the Army Reserves this Fall 2011, and don't know if accepted for the reserves how long a contract I should go for and if/when I apply to HPSP if that would hurt my chances..in addition, when is the recommended time frame to apply for the HPSP, I read somewhere that one should apply to HPSP when applying for Dental school, so this is my other question, since its highly difficult to get into Dental School if someone doesn't get in, but gets HPSP what happens? thanks...

Hi

I'll be graduating dental school this may and I'm considering heavily on Army as one of my options. (I know it's a late decision with poorer benefits than those that joined before school :()

A recruiter came to my school but, not to be offensive, he didn't seem very prepared and his presentation left more questions on listeners. (he was all over the place with contradicting information)

1. When does 2 year AEGD program start in army? Since I'm planning on taking my WREB on June, will I still have time to get in if I apply?

2. The recruiter told me that it's hard to be assigned overseas (Korea/Japan/Germany) as a new grad. He said the army will have you stay in America for a couple of years. is that also true?

3. Do you know any Army Recruiter near Loma Linda, CA area?

Thanks in advance

Hi, I'm currently knocking out a degree in Enviromental Science and plan to graduate in the Fall 2013, and I had a couple of questions..I plan on taking the Dat Spring 2013 and applying to Dental School around the same time, for admission for Fall 2014..I'm prior service, 6 years active duty, honorably discharged with an Re-1 code, and I'm strongly considering joining the Army Reserves this Fall 2011, and don't know if accepted for the reserves how long a contract I should go for and if/when I apply to HPSP if that would hurt my chances..in addition, when is the recommended time frame to apply for the HPSP, I read somewhere that one should apply to HPSP when applying for Dental school, so this is my other question, since its highly difficult to get into Dental School if someone doesn't get in, but gets HPSP what happens? thanks...

HPSP will bring you on active duty when you graduate - there is no program like it for the reserve/guard.

You will be transferred to the IRR when you start the program, therefore if you decide to go in the reserve now you need to make sure you can transfer to the IRR when you get it.

Being in the reserve will not hurt your scholarship opportunities

The completed HPSP board packet requires a letter of admission from a dental school. Without it your packet won't go through.

Hi

I'll be graduating dental school this may and I'm considering heavily on Army as one of my options. (I know it's a late decision with poorer benefits than those that joined before school :()

A recruiter came to my school but, not to be offensive, he didn't seem very prepared and his presentation left more questions on listeners. (he was all over the place with contradicting information)

1. When does 2 year AEGD program start in army? Since I'm planning on taking my WREB on June, will I still have time to get in if I apply?
All specialty programs including the 2 year start July 1. However, the starting residents for those classes are selected 18 months prior. If you are just graduating you will not walk directly into one of those programs, but will work as a general dentist for a year. Applications and selections occur every December.

2. The recruiter told me that it's hard to be assigned overseas (Korea/Japan/Germany) as a new grad. He said the army will have you stay in America for a couple of years. is that also true?
No

3. Do you know any Army Recruiter near Loma Linda, CA area?
The medical/dental recruiters usually cover large areas and do not overlap. More than likely the recruiter that came to speak with you is the only one in his office that recruits for dental. You can try www.goarmy.com to try to have another recruiter to contact you.

Thanks in advance

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply. Since everyone here is super friendly to answer anythinig/everything, I have a couple of more questions.

1. Since Army is considered a federal/government job, I heard that after working for the army for 10 years, all of your loan goes through forbearance (i.e. it will all be cleared and the amount that has been cleared would be reported as my income, in which I will pay tax for it.). If it is true, than does that include private loan taken out during dental school? what about the undergraduate loan?

2. If the selection process is 18-months, is working as a general dentist for 1 year long enough for me to apply for the following year's 2-yr AEGD program? (I'm just a bit confused with the number game here...)

3. As far as the pay is concerned, if you are in service, are you charged with STATE TAX along with federal tax? A friend of mine told me that as active duty personnel, you are ONLY charged with federal income tax but NOT state income tax.

Thank you once again.

Thanks for the quick reply. Since everyone here is super friendly to answer anythinig/everything, I have a couple of more questions.

1. Since Army is considered a federal/government job, I heard that after working for the army for 10 years, all of your loan goes through forbearance (i.e. it will all be cleared and the amount that has been cleared would be reported as my income, in which I will pay tax for it.). If it is true, than does that include private loan taken out during dental school? what about the undergraduate loan?

search the thread on this, b/c there was some extensive discussion on this one about a year ago. basically, after 10 yrs of federal services, all outstanding FEDERAL CONSOLIDATION loan balance would be FORGIVEN (note not discharged; there is a difference). some hoops here though: first, no private loans eligible; second, all fed loans must be consolidated, AND in repayment for 10 years regardless of the amount you'd been paying; third, because the loan is being forgiven, you don't need to pay any income tax on the outstanding loan amount (where as if the loan is discharged, the govt would consider you earned the money being not paid, so you pay taxes). i thought this was some good stuff: for example, if you go to USC for under and grad and have, say, $600k+ in fed loans --> you go to some remote area for public dentistry for 10 years (and while you are working you pay $0 under IBR or ICR) --> all debts disappear! (NB if you had to pay income tax on that, well, you might as well just go to the bankruptcy court). and yes, service in the army does count.

2. If the selection process is 18-months, is working as a general dentist for 1 year long enough for me to apply for the following year's 2-yr AEGD program? (I'm just a bit confused with the number game here...)

you apply say in 2011 and you make it, you'll join in 2011 and start your residency in 2012 and finish 2014. i guess b/c the 2yr AEGD would incur 2 yr ADO, you could get out some time in 2016, unless some other obligation kicks in.

3. As far as the pay is concerned, if you are in service, are you charged with STATE TAX along with federal tax? A friend of mine told me that as active duty personnel, you are ONLY charged with federal income tax but NOT state income tax.

well, military pay comes with many parts, and some parts are taxed in full, and some are not taxed at all. for example, the basic salary and healthcare bonuses are taxed in full; you pay FICA, fed, state, and local income taxes. on the other hand, the housing and food allowances are not taxable at all. enlighten me, but i'm not aware of any situation where fed govt pay is only taxable by the fed but not by the state, unless the state has no income taxation to begin with. you'd pay state income tax even if you're stationed in germany.

Thank you once again.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

It depends on the state. Some states will tax your military pay while others will not.

With regards to Korea... why is it so undesirable? Are you going to be stationed near the DMZ or something??

With regards to Korea... why is it so undesirable? Are you going to be stationed near the DMZ or something??

Many people love Korea. Some of the locations in Korea you can not have your family with you. They would stay in the states for a year while you were there. Some locations they can come with you. The trend will be to have more and more families allowed in the future however.

What is this and how does it work?
Army seems to have a lot of "bonuses" in favor of dentists.. only if they were NON-taxable w/o going to Iraq or Afghanistan
(Like how National Health Corp's loan repayment is NOT taxed)..

What is this and how does it work?
Army seems to have a lot of "bonuses" in favor of dentists.. only if they were NON-taxable w/o going to Iraq or Afghanistan
(Like how National Health Corp's loan repayment is NOT taxed)..

If you are not even open to the idea of deploying do not even apply to the military. There is nothing worse than someone who wants all the benefits - but then wants others to do all the "less desirable" things while they still get the same benefits. If it doesn't happen to "fall in your lap" that's one thing - but to actively try to get out of things is a pet peave of mine.

Anyway to answer your question. "Critical war time accessions bonus" is the fancy way the Navy and Army came up with and justified offering a $20,000 bonus for those who take the HPSP and sign up for 4 yrs. It has nothing to do with going to war, and does not increase your chances of going to war.

National Health Corps is also a great opportunity.
http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/pdf/loanrepaymentfacts.pdf

If you are not even open to the idea of deploying do not even apply to the military. There is nothing worse than someone who wants all the benefits - but then wants others to do all the "less desirable" things while they still get the same benefits. If it doesn't happen to "fall in your lap" that's one thing - but to actively try to get out of things is a pet peave of mine.

Im with krmower on this one. People trying to avoid deploying but wanting all the benefits is a big pet peave of mine as well. Ill save my personal opinion on this one for another time…

One option for those who may be interested in working for the federal government in an Army dental clinic would be the Army Civilian Corps. Check out http://www.civilianmedicaljobs.com/?id=60 for more info. These are civilian federal employees who work right next to me. A lot of similar benefits to the military without the negative aspects.

Last edited:
Quick question. Say scholarships run out. I've read *somewhere* that you could be reconsidered come October 2011 because this is the start of the new budget. So is it possible that you submit everything now then be picked up in October after paying 1-2 months of tuition; I understand that you will not be retroactively reimbursed for the stipend.

Anyone??

Are you asking if you could get picked up for a scholarship mid-year and have them begin paying part way through the year? I don't think the Army will pay for part of a year of scholarship. My understanding is that the scholarships are for a full year of school. I could be wrong. Anyone have a more official answer?

Are you asking if you could get picked up for a scholarship mid-year and have them begin paying part way through the year? I don't think the Army will pay for part of a year of scholarship. My understanding is that the scholarships are for a full year of school. I could be wrong. Anyone have a more official answer?

my friend joined mid-year, and army covered a half of the tuition. what sucks was that he still had to pay back a full year. so i guess if the govt frees up more money, they could pick up some, but it may not be worth it financially. also, you'll need to payback 4 yrs automatically if you take the $20k bonus, so it seems anything less than 4 years HPSP may look less tempting financially.

In regards to the Army picking you up in October, what happened this past year is the budget came out and they scooped up a bunch of those on the 4 yr HPSP waiting list and offered them scholarships. The recipients could choose between a 3.5 yr tuition (all semesters-your first semester) with a 4 yr payback (+ signing bonus) scholarship OR a 3 yr tuition, 3 yr payback (no signing bonus) scholarship. My recruiter had two people on the waitlist picked, one chose the first option, the other chose the second.

That said, these offers were only made to those who were already on the waitlist. To be put on the waitlist, you had to be presented at one of the three previous year's boards. The last board this year was held March 22, so unfortunately it seems impossible that you would be offered a 3.5 yr scholarship if you haven't applied already because you are too late for this years boards (and hence couldn't be put on the wait list). That said, you can apply next year for the Army's 3 yr HPSP scholarships.

If I am wrong about anything above, anyone please feel free to correct me, this is just the info I gained from my recruiter and other literature/online forums.

Hello guys am new to this process and I always wanted to be an Doctor in the military. I just wanted to know what DAT score will make me in the running for the HPSP. plus if I applied in June or July and if their were no more scholarships left could I get picked up in October in the new phyiscal year. But will they let me know at least in July rather or not I will recieve the scholarship. PLEASE SOMEBODY LET ME KNOW

In regards to the Army picking you up in October, what happened this past year is the budget came out and they scooped up a bunch of those on the 4 yr HPSP waiting list and offered them scholarships. The recipients could choose between a 3.5 yr tuition (all semesters-your first semester) with a 4 yr payback (+ signing bonus) scholarship OR a 3 yr tuition, 3 yr payback (no signing bonus) scholarship. My recruiter had two people on the waitlist picked, one chose the first option, the other chose the second.

That said, these offers were only made to those who were already on the waitlist. To be put on the waitlist, you had to be presented at one of the three previous year's boards. The last board this year was held March 22, so unfortunately it seems impossible that you would be offered a 3.5 yr scholarship if you haven't applied already because you are too late for this years boards (and hence couldn't be put on the wait list). That said, you can apply next year for the Army's 3 yr HPSP scholarships.

If I am wrong about anything above, anyone please feel free to correct me, this is just the info I gained from my recruiter and other literature/online forums.

In previous years boards have run all the way into the summer even though scholarships may have all been given out by then. I would assume the trend still continues that way - but I am in Iraq so am a little out of the loop.

First, I would like to thank all the army dentists for spending your valuable time helping us out and answering our questions.

Next is the question. I'm not sure if this has been touched upon, but how long after your AD commitment can you sign a multi-year extension for one of those sweet bonuses? Say, you had a 3 year HPSP (3 years AD, 5 years reserve)... are you eligible to sign the extension at the end of the 3rd year?

First, I would like to thank all the army dentists for spending your valuable time helping us out and answering our questions.

Next is the question. I'm not sure if this has been touched upon, but how long after your AD commitment can you sign a multi-year extension for one of those sweet bonuses? Say, you had a 3 year HPSP (3 years AD, 5 years reserve)... are you eligible to sign the extension at the end of the 3rd year?
Sounds like you are referring to DOMRB, Dental Officer Multiyear Retention Bonuses. Under current regulations, to be eligible for the DOMRB you must have completed a specialty residency (to include the 2 year 63B Comprehensive Dentistry Program), completed your ADSO (Active Duty Service Obligation) for your HPSP as well as the ADSO for your residency. So say you did a 63B program right out of school, you could sign a 4 year DOMRB contract in which you are paid $50,000 a year for four years after your 3 year HPSP ADSO + the 2 Year Residency+ the 2 year ADSO for the 63B residency (all other specialties have a 3-4 year ADSO) - so at the seven year mark. You may be able to sign it at the 5 year mark depending on if your contract allows you to serve the HPSP ADSO and the residency ADSO concurrently or not.

You are not eligible for any retention bonuses until all ADSOs have been paid back. All specialties are paid at the Tier 1 level which is $50K per year for 4 years except….

If you completed a 1 year AEGD and complete the requirements for the Advanced Clinical Practice program you are eligible for Tier III DOMRB, which is $35K per year for a 4 year contract. Currently there is no DOMRB for General Dentists who have not completed an AEGD, although there are rumors out there that there might be one soon.

Hope this helps and wasn't too confusing.

Last edited:

All Army bonuses are available at the completion of whatever active duty obligation you have. Typically you would submit the paperwork a few months in advance of that date and the bonus would be paid within a few months after that date.

So say you did a 63B program right out of school, you could sign a 4 year DOMRB contract in which you are paid $50,000 a year for four years after your 3 year HPSP ADSO + the 2 Year Residency+ the 2 year ADSO for the 63B residency (all other specialties have a 3-4 year ADSO) - so at the seven year mark. You may be able to sign it at the 5 year mark depending on if your contract allows you to serve the HPSP ADSO and the residency ADSO concurrently or not.

I did not know that 2yr-AEGD residency also extends your ADSO 2 additional years.
Here's what I thought was the way it worked.
4 years of ADSO (if you took 4 year HPSP or signed up after graduating dental school) + 2yr-AEGD then you are eligible to sign up for DOMRB... I'm confused...

So say you did a 63B program right out of school, you could sign a 4 year DOMRB contract in which you are paid $50,000 a year for four years after your 3 year HPSP ADSO + the 2 Year Residency+ the 2 year ADSO for the 63B residency (all other specialties have a 3-4 year ADSO) - so at the seven year mark. You may be able to sign it at the 5 year mark depending on if your contract allows you to serve the HPSP ADSO and the residency ADSO concurrently or not.

I did not know that 2yr-AEGD residency also extends your ADSO 2 additional years.
4 years of ADSO (if you took 4 year HPSP or signed up after graduating dental school) + 2yr-AEGD then you are eligible to sign up for DOMRB... I'm confused...

Sounds like this is what usually happens if u take that route

graduate dental school -

1st year as a 63A general dentist
2 years of 63B training (2 neutral years, you still owe 3 years AD)
Work as a 63B for 3 years to finish 4 year obligation

After your 4th year is done, you can sign up for the 4 year retention bonus?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=744011&highlight=specialty

Similar information available in other threads

Last year the Reserve extended Loan repayment for up to 6 yrs and $250k. I am not sure if there are other sign on bonus with that or not.

Active duty is still 4 yrs unless you had HPSP and then you can only use loan repayment for any years less than the max 4 HPSP. So if you had a 3 yr HPSP you could do the active loan repayment for 1 yr.

What does that mean exactly? I'm a 3 year HPSP student and didn't have the first (most expensive) year covered. What is the difference between the active loan repayment and the 10 year plus loan forgiveness?
Thanks.

What does that mean exactly? I'm a 3 year HPSP student and didn't have the first (most expensive) year covered. What is the difference between the active loan repayment and the 10 year plus loan forgiveness?
Thanks.

In your situation you can apply for loan repayment for 1 year (3 yr HPSP + 1 yr loan repayment = 4 yrs) - the max benefit anyone can get is 4 yrs of some kind of payback. The active duty loan repayment will require additional time that you would owe the Army. Additionally the loan repayment amount will be taxed.

The loan forgiveness is not a military program - it is a governemnt program so it has nothing to do with any military benefits or things you have taken advantage of in the past.

The loan forgiveness program requires that you stay in the Army (or any local,county, or federal govt) for 10 yrs straight with no break in service. If you do that and you make continuous loan payments the whole 10 yrs without deferring or forebearing - they will erase the remainder of your debt aftre 10 yrs.

You can google search it and find out more about the requirements and how it works - http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attachments/siteresources/LoanForgivenessMarch18.pdf

Again - the loan forgiveness has nothing to do with the military - just an additional thing you can take advantage of if you qualify since you will work for the federal govt.

what are their differences?
they both seem like something we get for re-up'ing additional years after ADSO
thanks in advance for clarification!

what are their differences?
they both seem like something we get for re-up'ing additional years after ADSO
thanks in advance for clarification!

One you actually get money. The other your balance is just wiped out. One requires an additional 2 years, the other requires 10 total. Please search the threads - both programs have been explained in detail.

Since I'm on a question spree, let me ask one more question (and yes, I tried to find the answer from previous discussion/threads).

Let's say I serve 1 year as a general dentist in the army during which I apply for 2 year AEGD residency. for my 2nd and 3rd in the army if I am enrolled in AEGD program will I still receive additional special pay (ASP)?

this forum gives me more accurate answer than my recruiter so muchos gracias

Let's say I serve 1 year as a general dentist in the army during which I apply for 2 year AEGD residency. for my 2nd and 3rd in the army if I am enrolled in AEGD program will I still receive additional special pay (ASP)?

Yes

while I'm at it, I was reading DoD Financial Management Regulation Paper and I came across this requirement for DOMRB

"Has at least 8 years of creditable service or has completed any active duty service commitment incurred for dental education and training."

1. Since I didn't take HPSP, if I did 2-yr AEGD and finish my ADSO in 6 years, it makes it 2 year short of the required 8 years. Since I want to be in the army for at least 10 years, how does my extension play out in this case...?

2. Accession bonus of $75,000 for non-HPSP dentist requires 4 year ADSO. If I take both accession bonus and loan repayment option (3 years with $40,000/yr), does that make my initial ADSO upon entering the army into 7 years? Two different recruiter have told me two different ways so I need some clarification.

Thank you as always

I have recently been accepted into an International Dentist Education Program (2-years), after studying dentistry abroad (US citizen). To get in to this program , we didn't have to take the DAT. We did however have to take the NBDE part 1. Classes will start in early July, and I called my local recruiter to see if a)it is possible for me to get on a 2-year HPSP period (not technically fulfilling all prereq's) and b) it is too late to apply for a scholarship for which the first tuition payment will be due in less than 3 months. So he says I am eligible and it is not too late for this year. I am skeptical, because it seems like everyone applies way ahead of time. Does anyone think my recruiters answer sounds legit?

while I'm at it, I was reading DoD Financial Management Regulation Paper and I came across this requirement for DOMRB

"Has at least 8 years of creditable service or has completed any active duty service commitment incurred for dental education and training."

1. Since I didn't take HPSP, if I did 2-yr AEGD and finish my ADSO in 6 years, it makes it 2 year short of the required 8 years. Since I want to be in the army for at least 10 years, how does my extension play out in this case...?
You will receive the DOMRB at the completion of your ADSO. The situation you described above is what happened to me. You will receive it at 6 yrs when all your commitments are done and you could get out.

2. Accession bonus of $75,000 for non-HPSP dentist requires 4 year ADSO. If I take both accession bonus and loan repayment option (3 years with $40,000/yr), does that make my initial ADSO upon entering the army into 7 years? Two different recruiter have told me two different ways so I need some clarification.
HPSP is the only simultaneous payback option. What I mean is that if you did HPSP your obligation for it, and the obligation you incur from any specialty training will be paid back simultaneously (like what you described in #1 above). Any other type of bonus you take is stackable. So in #2 you would come in with 7 yrs. Additionally any specialty training you do will also be stacked. If you did a 2 yr HPSP you would add on an additional 4 yrs (2 yrs for the program + 2 yrs of payback) for a total of an 11 yr payback. Only HPSP allows you to payback your specialty training obligation at the same time as your HPSP obligation.

Sometimes it's worth it to bypass money upfront for a bigger bonus in the end.

Thank you as always

Hope that helps.

I have recently been accepted into an International Dentist Education Program (2-years), after studying dentistry abroad (US citizen). To get in to this program , we didn't have to take the DAT. We did however have to take the NBDE part 1. Classes will start in early July, and I called my local recruiter to see if a)it is possible for me to get on a 2-year HPSP period (not technically fulfilling all prereq's) and b) it is too late to apply for a scholarship for which the first tuition payment will be due in less than 3 months. So he says I am eligible and it is not too late for this year. I am skeptical, because it seems like everyone applies way ahead of time. Does anyone think my recruiters answer sounds legit?

It never hurts to try, however you should realize that 1 and 2 yr HPSP scholarships are rarely given out. They are considered on a case by case basis. If you get accepted for a 2yr HPSP you will owe 3 yrs payback even though they only pay for 2.

Since I'm on a question spree, let me ask one more question (and yes, I tried to find the answer from previous discussion/threads).

this forum gives me more accurate answer than my recruiter so muchos gracias

The ASP aka DASP is available for any licensed dentist at any time in their career. It requires you to sign a year by year contract. Those dentists that choose to go to a 12 month AEGD instead of taking boards will not be able to receive this until completion of their program and when they receive their license.

The VSP is paid to anyone in the dental corps at any time. It is paid monthly. license not required.

Currently I am a Junior Dental student and I am trying to decided weather or not to do an AEGD. Clinically how will my life be different between these two choices and does it matter depending where I will be stationed what I will be doing? Also, how much benefit could these extra two years of service help me in private practice. Thanks so much for your time

Hi Krmower,
In your reply to my post u mentioned,

"HPSP is the only simultaneous payback option."

If that is the case, then for a person like me who did NOT take HPSP scholarship, if I did 2-yr AEGD program, it will take me 8 years before I apply for DOMRB?

4 year from taking $75,000 accession bonus
2 during AEGD + 2-year payback for AEGD

Thanks for the reply and I enjoy reading your posts from Iraq!

Last edited: