Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Krmower,
In your reply to my post u mentioned,

"HPSP is the only simultaneous payback option."

If that is the case, then for a person like me who did NOT take HPSP scholarship, if I did 2-yr AEGD program, it will take me 8 years before I apply for DOMRB?

4 year from taking $75,000 accession bonus
2 during AEGD + 2-year payback for AEGD

Thanks for the reply and I enjoy reading your posts from Iraq!

That is correct. I would still recommend doing it - invest in yourself. Whether you get out or stay in you will be ahead in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

Krmower, early in this thread BQuad talked about deployments in the Army lasting 12-15 months on average. The Army Dental Corps liason I spoke with on the phone told me to expect one 6 month deployment. Which do you believe is accurate?

Hi Krmower,
In your reply to my post u mentioned,

"HPSP is the only simultaneous payback option."

If that is the case, then for a person like me who did NOT take HPSP scholarship, if I did 2-yr AEGD program, it will take me 8 years before I apply for DOMRB?

4 year from taking $75,000 accession bonus
2 during AEGD + 2-year payback for AEGD

Thanks for the reply and I enjoy reading your posts from Iraq!

In that case why take the $75k bonus? You'd give up $50k/year during the 4 year payback for the accession bonus, possibly even more if they raise the DOMRB in the next 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
In that case why take the $75k bonus? You'd give up $50k/year during the 4 year payback for the accession bonus, possibly even more if they raise the DOMRB in the next 4 years.

well... i was thinking of staying in the army for 10+ years with income-based repayment then after 10 years, federal loan forgiveness program will kick in..
let me ask you this.

what is the minimum # of years that I need to sign up? If I want to get that 4 year DOMRB as soon as I can (given that I can get into 2-year AEGD program) what would be the fastest way for that?

my other question is this: is there ANY OTHER INSTITUTION THAT OFFERS 2-YEAR AEGD PROGRAM besides military branches..? If i can do it and become an "comp dentist" before joining army, it would make things much better financially.. no?

thanks for the answers comrade!!

Last edited:
Krmower, early in this thread BQuad talked about deployments in the Army lasting 12-15 months on average. The Army Dental Corps liason I spoke with on the phone told me to expect one 6 month deployment. Which do you believe is accurate?

At this very moment I am deployed in Iraq.

90+% of Army dentists will deploy for 6 months. The other 10% or so will go for 12 months. The 15 month time that BQuad mentioned was during the Iraqi surge which ended a while ago.

well... i was thinking of staying in the army for 10+ years with income-based repayment then after 10 years, federal loan forgiveness program will kick in..
let me ask you this.

what is the minimum # of years that I need to sign up? If I want to get that 4 year DOMRB as soon as I can (given that I can get into 2-year AEGD program) what would be the fastest way for that?

my other question is this: is there ANY OTHER INSTITUTION THAT OFFERS 2-YEAR AEGD PROGRAM besides military branches..? If i can do it and become an "comp dentist" before joining army, it would make things much better financially.. no?

thanks for the answers comrade!!

I think the minimum sign up time coming into the Army without HPSP will be 5 yrs.

The VA also has some 2 yr AEGD program - I know the one in Richmond, Va does - it is run by retired Army dentists.

Hey guys, I had a quick question about taking the HPSP scholarship after doing ROTC. I recently had medical delay peer tell me that by taking the HPSP, I would be forfeiting the years in service that accrued during the ed delay.

So accordingly, without the HPSP I would graduate as an O-3 with technically 4 years of service. On the other hand, if I take the HPSP I will graduate as an O-3 with 0 years of service.

Can anyone confirm this is true? If this is so, I can feel I could pay off the loans for my four contracted years simply with the difference between experience pay.

I feel kind of sleezy for asking about pay for years that I am not really doing anything, but on the other hand it is hard to commit to 8 yrs + specialty repayment before I even join the real Army. I feel like this could be a major sticking point in continuing with the HPSP scholarship.

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys, I had a quick question about taking the HPSP scholarship after doing ROTC. I recently had medical delay peer tell me that by taking the HPSP, I would be forfeiting the years in service that accrued during the ed delay.

So accordingly, without the HPSP I would graduate as an O-3 with technically 4 years of service. On the other hand, if I take the HPSP I will graduate as an O-3 with 0 years of service.

Can anyone confirm this is true? If this is so, I can feel I could pay off the loans for my four contracted years simply with the difference between experience pay.

I feel kind of sleezy for asking about pay for years that I am not really doing anything, but on the other hand it is hard to commit to 8 yrs + specialty repayment before I even join the real Army. I feel like this could be a major sticking point in continuing with the HPSP scholarship.

Thanks for the help!

I haven't heard of anyone having time in ROTC count as time in service. Since you are not active duty it doesn't count towards pay or retirement. I also haven't seen anyone in ROTC come in as an 0-3 - everyone I know has come in as 0-1.

If you do not have any active duty time you will com in as an 0-3 with 0 yrs. ROTC time will not count towards anything (I don't think it would even if you didn't go dental). You will owe the 8 yrs + specialty time which sucks because that means the soonest you could take the large multi-year retention bonus would be 10+ yrs depending on what specialty you do.

This is still a long ways out for me, but always eyes to the future...

1) How difficult is it to get a one-year AEGD residency if you want one? This question was asked back in 2006 and someone responded 75% that wanted it got it, but I was curious if it has changed. Moreover, since everyone has to apply to the one year AEGD (though obviously not required to accept), the difficulty gaining admission isn't as simple as # accepted vs # applied ratio you would find in other, non-compulsory specialties, as you have many people who are not interested in AEGD in the first place. Just looking for some insight into this matter...

2) Also, since the boards for my class are going to pass/fail, how would you say this will affect the considerations into admissions into specialties in general?

I know it might be a bit naive for a simple, innocent, 'un-deflowered' D1 to be inquiring about specialties, but I'm already thinking through all my options. :luck:

This is still a long ways out for me, but always eyes to the future...

1) How difficult is it to get a one-year AEGD residency if you want one? This question was asked back in 2006 and someone responded 75% that wanted it got it, but I was curious if it has changed. Moreover, since everyone has to apply to the one year AEGD (though obviously not required to accept), the difficulty gaining admission isn't as simple as # accepted vs # applied ratio you would find in other, non-compulsory specialties, as you have many people who are not interested in AEGD in the first place. Just looking for some insight into this matter...

2) Also, since the boards for my class are going to pass/fail, how would you say this will affect the considerations into admissions into specialties in general?

I know it might be a bit naive for a simple, innocent, 'un-deflowered' D1 to be inquiring about specialties, but I'm already thinking through all my options. :luck:

1) AEGD 1yr have been relatively easy to get in the past. As recruiting has been at 100% the last 3 yrs - that may make it more competitive for D1-D3's coming up into the Corps - but since it hasn't started to manifest yet - that is only a guess. My understanding was that acceptances into the 1 yr AEGD were higher than 75% in years past. I would say you have a good shot if you want it.

2) It will make it more difficult both in the military and civilian. The powers that be are taking away a tangible item that was able to be used to distinguish one individual for another. Now items like letters of recommendation, externships, GPA (if the school offers them and not just a P/F), class ranking will be relied on more heavily.

Hello,

I had a few questions about my first duty station. I'm a second year dental student, on Army HPSP, and I have not done OBLC yet.

1. When will I select my preferences for the first duty station?
2. When will I absolutely receive my orders?
3. Should I call ahead to locations and try to find locations with likely spots for me to increase my chances?

4. Slightly unrelated. Suppose I was hoping to serve for a few years and apply to Army ortho, will I have to take the GRE? Should I take it 3rd year just in case I can get an educational deferment and attend a civilian residency?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

I had a few questions about my first duty station. I'm a second year dental student, on Army HPSP, and I have not done OBLC yet.

1. When will I select my preferences for the first duty station?
You will typically be contacted Feb-March of your senior year and offered several different choices of what is available.
2. When will I absolutely receive my orders?
Usually around Mar-April. Can also be impacted by graduation - if you don't graduate on time that may affect getting orders also
3. Should I call ahead to locations and try to find locations with likely spots for me to increase my chances?
Nope. The locations do not select who comes to them. Human Resources Command (HRC) has the master list, and they control the moves process. You can contact them Late fall/early winter of your senior year to get an idea for what is available and to begin to talk to them about assignments - but the Commanders at the clinics don't have a lot to do with the assignments of new dental officers coming in from school.

4. Slightly unrelated. Suppose I was hoping to serve for a few years and apply to Army ortho, will I have to take the GRE? Should I take it 3rd year just in case I can get an educational deferment and attend a civilian residency?
Great Question - I don't know. Traditionally GRE has not been required to apply for Army specialties - I haven't seen anything recently saying that they encourage/require you to take it now. You can double check with Dental Corps Graduate Education to double check.
Thanks!

Hope that helps

Hey guys,

First I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions.

I'm entering my first year of dental school this fall and I recently contacted a Army recruiter and he said that it would still be possible to receive the army scholarship starting in October. I think it's an amazing opportunity, but I have one hesitancy. My fiance is currently finishing her first year of dental school and is not on any military scholarship, nor does she plan to be. Obviously I wouldn't want to put my wife in a situation where she is unable to find work where I am stationed even though she is willing to try. The recruit told me that there are a lot of civilian contract jobs at most of the bases I would be stationed for her to work as a dentist. Is that true? Have any of you seen a situation similar to mine? I really appreciate your honest feedback. If the Army scholarship isn't going to be the best arrangement for my wife and I then I'm perfectly willing to accept that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

First I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions.

I'm entering my first year of dental school this fall and I recently contacted a Army recruiter and he said that it would still be possible to receive the army scholarship starting in October. I think it's an amazing opportunity, but I have one hesitancy. My fiance is currently finishing her first year of dental school and is not on any military scholarship, nor does she plan to be. Obviously I wouldn't want to put my wife in a situation where she is unable to find work where I am stationed even though she is willing to try. The recruit told me that there are a lot of civilian contract jobs at most of the bases I would be stationed for her to work as a dentist. Is that true? Have any of you seen a situation similar to mine? I really appreciate your honest feedback. If the Army scholarship isn't going to be the best arrangement for my wife and I then I'm perfectly willing to accept that.

Most of the clinics do have civilian dentists that work there as contractors. I have seen some husband and wife teams (military and contractor). However there is no guarantee that when you graduate that the location you are going to will have an opening. The military will also not look around for an assignment at a base where there is an opening for your wife (they don't have that info readily available to them - plus with the hundreds of dentists they are assigning can't take the time - realize it is 1 officer that is coordinating all these assignments).

Additionally the contract jobs usually require a certain level of dental experience from the dentists they hire for the military. Someone straight out of school will not be able to perform the same way someone can that has been out several years.

Unfortunately I don't think you can bank on the idea of your fiance getting hired where you will be stationed. Since you will know where you are going prior to graduation she could always try to get a license in that state ahead of time so she can find work in a practice.

Hi,

About to join the national guard.

1. Question regarding deployment for the guard and reserves. I personally have no problem with deployment because it is part of the commitment to serve. However, I am concern about future prospective employers view of it. For guards and reserves, would it be difficult to get hire as an associate or find any job because you might be gone for 4-5 months every 2 years. I know it is against the law to discriminate, but can't they just not hire you at the first place and claim other reasons? Are there any guards/reserves out there who faced similar/ or contrasting experience they can share?

2. I would be really interesting in doing a VA GPR? Does being a member of the military give you any advantage of accepting into a VA program? Or obtaining a fulltime position at a VA hospital?

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me where the specialty training programs are located?

Can anyone tell me where the specialty training programs are located?

2 yr AEGD - Hawaii, Fayetteveille, NC (Bragg), Killeen, Texas (Hood) Prosth and Perio - Augusta, Ga (Ft. Gordon) Endo - Augusta, Ga (Gordon) and Fayetteville, NC (Bragg) Oral Path - Bethesda Pedo - Dallas, Tx - Baylor dental school Ortho - San Antonio, Tx (Lackland Air Force Base) Public Health - Can vary, but typically Univ. Iowa OMFS - Bethesda, MD; Bragg, NC; Tripler, HI; Gordon, Ga; Bliss, Tx; Lewis, Wa

Last edited:
2 yr AEGD - Hawaii, Fayetteveille, NC (Bragg), Kaleen, Texas (Hood) Prosth and Perio - Augusta, Ga (Ft. Gordon) Endo - Augusta, Ga (Gordon) and Fayetteville, NC (Bragg) Oral Path - Bethesda Pedo - Dallas, Tx - Baylor dental school Ortho - San Antonio, Tx (Lackland Air Force Base) Public Health - Can vary, but typically Univ. Iowa OMFS - Bethesda, MD; Bragg, NC; Tripler, HI; Gordon, Ga; Bliss, Tx; Lewis, Wa

Killeen, TX ;)

Hi,

About to join the national guard.

1. Question regarding deployment for the guard and reserves. I personally have no problem with deployment because it is part of the commitment to serve. However, I am concern about future prospective employers view of it. For guards and reserves, would it be difficult to get hire as an associate or find any job because you might be gone for 4-5 months every 2 years. I know it is against the law to discriminate, but can't they just not hire you at the first place and claim other reasons? Are there any guards/reserves out there who faced similar/ or contrasting experience they can share?

It's closer to 3-4 months. But with both Iraq and Afghanistan winding down, deployments will probably span longer than every 2 years. While they cannot discriminate, an employer can definitely pass you over for another candidate for whatever reason. If you want to be completely honest (as you should) ask your NG commander when the next deployment is to give yourself an idea. Choosing to share that is up to you. As an employee, I became a reservist (later a guardsman) *after* I had become an associate, and had no trouble with my employer at the time.

2. I would be really interesting in doing a VA GPR? Does being a member of the military give you any advantage of accepting into a VA program? Or obtaining a fulltime position at a VA hospital?

Being in the military will probably give you some advantage over other applicants, though I don't know for sure.

Thanks.

Hope this helps. :)

Hey, I am just starting my last year of dental school and just got the letter listing bases where general dentists can be stationed. I was wondering if I could get some insight into how easy it is to get the following assignments and whether or not they are good places to live. Thanks a lot for the input.

ft hood, tx
ft sam houston, tx
ft bliss, tx
ft carson, col
ft lewis, wa
pom, ca - monterey, ca
tripler, hi
japan
germany

Hey, I am just starting my last year of dental school and just got the letter listing bases where general dentists can be stationed. I was wondering if I could get some insight into how easy it is to get the following assignments and whether or not they are good places to live. Thanks a lot for the input.

ft hood, tx
ft sam houston, tx
ft bliss, tx
ft carson, col
ft lewis, wa
pom, ca - monterey, ca
tripler, hi
japan
germany

The bases you listed are all fine, but I doubt many of those are really options for you. The only places that you likely stand a resonable chance of getting into are Ft. Hood, Ft. Bliss, Germany, and possibly Ft. Lewis and Carson (although they may not have many slots). The reason I say this is that many of those places are popular, but only have limited spots open. So the actual availability of those locations may vary. Usually in Feb/Mar the assignments officer will contact you and ask for your choice of what is available.

Thanks for the info krmower, I figured monterey and hawaii were long shots, but, oh well, one can dream. One more question -- If I don't do an aegd will I get to do much fixed, removable, endo, or will I mainly be doing operative and exo? I'm having a hard time stomaching the idea of more school right now, but I'm scared I'll come out of the army w/ limited skills if I don't do a residency. Thanks a lot for your answers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info krmower, I figured monterey and hawaii were long shots, but, oh well, one can dream. One more question -- If I don't do an aegd will I get to do much fixed, removable, endo, or will I mainly be doing operative and exo? I'm having a hard time stomaching the idea of more school right now, but I'm scared I'll come out of the army w/ limited skills if I don't do a residency. Thanks a lot for your answers.

Depends on the location. I can tell you from multiple experiences that you will be better off with at least the 12 month AEGD. The nice thing is - the AEGD is not just another year of school. There is a friend of mine at a clinic. He has 4 new guys at his clinic (all within 2-3 yrs out of school). 2 of them did the AEGD and 2 did not. The 2 that didn't do one really struggle - in all aspects. Crown preps are bad, operative dentistry is less than ideal. Ability to diagnose is poor - all things that they would have improved upon and learned in the AEGD. Their dentistry has to be watched very closely and corrected periodically by the leadership because of their skill level. The other 2 that did the AEGD are productive members in the clinic. Dentistry is changing with new materials, new techniques, it's tough to fit all of that into 4 yrs of school and really be competent when you graduate.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like something I should do. Is the one year AEGD a forty hour/week type of thing or are you gone all the time? I remember reading about the 2 year AEGD and it sounded like those who did it didn't get to see their families much.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like something I should do. Is the one year AEGD a forty hour/week type of thing or are you gone all the time? I remember reading about the 2 year AEGD and it sounded like those who did it didn't get to see their families much.

Pretty close to 40 hr weeks. 1 day a week you get lectures, and you may do literature review and have to read some articles ahead of time - but not a ton of extra time. As for the 2 yr AEGD - depends on you and the program. Since the programs change as the specialists move and new ones replace them, some may demand more time than others - but look at it as an investment. Even if a program did require a little more time - if it were able to help you earn extra money either in private practice or the military (less patients you have to refer out in private practice or the specialty bonus in the military) - it would benefit you and your family in the long run.

ft hood, tx
ft sam houston, tx
ft bliss, tx
ft carson, col
ft lewis, wa
pom, ca - monterey, ca
tripler, hi
japan
germany

Hood, Bliss, possibly Carson, possibly Germany are all possible. Of course sometimes you don't have a choice and will end up with Bragg, Gordon, Stewart, Polk, etc. Speak to the assignments officer at HRC about a year before graduation to touch bases and you might be able to massage your assignment. Obviously, don't pester them daily. :)

In my OBC class there were a few who were able to get nice jobs at Tripler and Germany. Typically those with AEGD experience will be placed in smaller, more remote clinics.

A friend of mine who got the Presidio at Moneterrey was a 2 year AEGD resident who got that follow on position only after doing a hardship tour in Korea. Sometimes I guess that's what it takes to get the really cush posts.

Depends on the location. I can tell you from multiple experiences that you will be better off with at least the 12 month AEGD. The nice thing is - the AEGD is not just another year of school. There is a friend of mine at a clinic. He has 4 new guys at his clinic (all within 2-3 yrs out of school). 2 of them did the AEGD and 2 did not. The 2 that didn't do one really struggle - in all aspects. Crown preps are bad, operative dentistry is less than ideal. Ability to diagnose is poor - all things that they would have improved upon and learned in the AEGD. Their dentistry has to be watched very closely and corrected periodically by the leadership because of their skill level. The other 2 that did the AEGD are productive members in the clinic. Dentistry is changing with new materials, new techniques, it's tough to fit all of that into 4 yrs of school and really be competent when you graduate.

While I do regret not doing an AEGD, I practically had a 1 year AEGD experience... At my clinic at Billy Johnson at Fort Hood, we shared space with the 2 year AEGD residency program. I always had specialists on hand to fall back on and work under, so I guess I had the fortune of learning a lot more than other young dental officers who also didn't do an AEGD. The two dentists that krmower might have had a disadvantage, but presumably experience and personal motivation kicks in and eventually they get up to speed.

Conversely, I've seen 1 year AEGD residents who I'd never let work on my mouth.

Say I were to get into a 2-year AEGD program right out of dental school. After completing the program, would I have 4 years AD and 4 years IRR still? The two years in the program are neutral, and the AEGD payback is concurrent with HPSP?

Quick question. If I used the HPSP scholarship for UoP, would I have a 3 or 4 year payback?

While I do regret not doing an AEGD, I practically had a 1 year AEGD experience... At my clinic at Billy Johnson at Fort Hood, we shared space with the 2 year AEGD residency program. I always had specialists on hand to fall back on and work under, so I guess I had the fortune of learning a lot more than other young dental officers who also didn't do an AEGD. The two dentists that krmower might have had a disadvantage, but presumably experience and personal motivation kicks in and eventually they get up to speed.

Conversely, I've seen 1 year AEGD residents who I'd never let work on my mouth.
Thanks for the extra insight teeth63a. Why do you regret not doing the AEGD? Sounds like if I were stationed at Hood or Carson I'd have an easier time if I did not do an AEGD b/c all of the specialists that are stationed there for the AEGD program. Would they work directly w/ you, or would you just ask them questions about cases you were working on?

Thanks for the extra insight teeth63a. Why do you regret not doing the AEGD? Sounds like if I were stationed at Hood or Carson I'd have an easier time if I did not do an AEGD b/c all of the specialists that are stationed there for the AEGD program. Would they work directly w/ you, or would you just ask them questions about cases you were working on?

I regret not doing it because I felt I would have been a better dentist coming out of the Army. You want to learn in the Army and get paid for it, you don't want to be in private practice or an employee and take time away from the office to go to a week long CE course.

It would be the luck of the draw at Hood. I lucked out with Billy Johnson Dental Clinic, but there are four (or so) other dental clinics on post. Because they're mentors and teachers, they were more than willing to help me out with anything. I was always invited to bring in any cases that I had questions on to ask them, and was allowed to do cases under their supervision.

Say I were to get into a 2-year AEGD program right out of dental school. After completing the program, would I have 4 years AD and 4 years IRR still? The two years in the program are neutral, and the AEGD payback is concurrent with HPSP?

You owe 8 yrs total - so since you will have completed 6 yrs on active duty, if you get out at that time you will only owe 2 yrs IRR. If you stay in until 8 yrs or more on AD you will not have any IRR time remaining.

earlier on this page you listed the locations of all the army specialties...but I am confused... I was under the impression that the army offered only AEGD and a limited (10-13 spots) of OMFS residencies

does the army really have an accredited perio residency? or is this just an AEGD focused mainly on perio?

Thanks!

AEGD locations (that I remember): Fort Lewis, WA; Fort Riley, KS; Fort Benning, GA; Fort Carson, CO; Fort Campbell, KY; and another one or two that I cant remember off the top of my head.

The Army perio program is at Fort Gordon, GA.

I'm a 2nd year dental student (c/o 2014) looking for information on Army specialties.

Where can I find information on how and when to apply for Army specialty residencies? Also, I'm looking for some advice from successful applicants on how to approach obtaining a residency. Would it be helpful to establish connections with commanders at the Army residency program(s) I'm interested in?

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

earlier on this page you listed the locations of all the army specialties...but I am confused... I was under the impression that the army offered only AEGD and a limited (10-13 spots) of OMFS residencies

does the army really have an accredited perio residency? or is this just an AEGD focused mainly on perio?

Thanks!

It is an accredited program. Board eligible and all..

How hard is it to get a 3yr Army HPSP scholarship? Is it mostly based on GPA / DAT or does the selection board look at other factors as well?

I'm a 2nd year dental student (c/o 2014) looking for information on Army specialties.

Where can I find information on how and when to apply for Army specialty residencies? Also, I'm looking for some advice from successful applicants on how to approach obtaining a residency. Would it be helpful to establish connections with commanders at the Army residency program(s) I'm interested in?

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

All Army post-graduate training programs (AEGD and all specialties) are decided each December. Applications must be submitted by November. Applications are submitted through the recruiter at the school you are located at.

Other than having strong GPA, class ranking, letters of recommendation and the normal things, sometimes doing the externships during the summer will help you get to know residency directors. Getting to know the Commanders at the location where a residency program is will have absolutely no benefit since they have nothing to do with the program.

How hard is it to get a 3yr Army HPSP scholarship? Is it mostly based on GPA / DAT or does the selection board look at other factors as well?

It is getting more difficult because lately the 3 yr scholarships are being given out to 4 yr scholarship applicants that are wait-listed. So if they continue to use the same process/procedure those who wait to apply for a 3 yr scholarship after their first year of dental school has started are already at a disadvantage since most of the scholarships are gone. If you have not yet started dental school apply for a 4 yr scholarship now even though you won't get it, so you can get on the wait list.

I am a DS2 and have signed a 4 year HPSP contract. I am hoping to specialize but I can't find any information at all about it. One of the biggest factors for me is going to be whether or not it will add to my time commitment. I am curious if the Army will allow students to do a civilian residency in order to avoid incurring any additional payback time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just in this for the money (I was an artillery crewman in the Army reserve for ten years before school and have deployed twice in that time). Its just that I'm not getting any younger and I don't want to be 45 years old before I have my first civilian job. Thanks for the help!

I am a DS2 and have signed a 4 year HPSP contract. I am hoping to specialize but I can't find any information at all about it. One of the biggest factors for me is going to be whether or not it will add to my time commitment. I am curious if the Army will allow students to do a civilian residency in order to avoid incurring any additional payback time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just in this for the money (I was an artillery crewman in the Army reserve for ten years before school and have deployed twice in that time). Its just that I'm not getting any younger and I don't want to be 45 years old before I have my first civilian job. Thanks for the help!

I believe residency counts as neutral years. In other words: your payback time will remain the same (4 years active + 4 years recall), but wont begin until after residency is over (assuming you get into residency straight out of dental school). Furthermore, I believe that the years you accrue in residency will count towards those 4 years of recall.

As I understand, the Army has allowed HPSP recipients to receive civilian training in the past, but it's difficult to get an exception for it.

Does this sound correct to everyone else?

I graduated from dental school last year and did one year of OMFS internship last year and currently i'm enrolling in a fellowship program. my plan is to apply for OMFS residency. I was wondering if there is any opportunity for joining an OMFS residency in ARMY???

I graduated from dental school last year and did one year of OMFS internship last year and currently i'm enrolling in a fellowship program. my plan is to apply for OMFS residency. I was wondering if there is any opportunity for joining an OMFS residency in ARMY???

You have to joint the Army first - minimum of 3 yr payback - more if you do OMFS. Army OMFS has better than a 1:2 pick up rate with 10 spots available. Application deadlines for specialty training is November, so you have until then to decide. Read through the posts here if you want more info about OMFS.

Army can allow you to do civilian residencies, but it is up to them, and it has not been done in over 10 yrs. I wouldn't plan on it being changed now.

They have some programs that they have arrangements at with civilian schools - but that is different.

Any post graduate training will add additional years onto your commitment. Specific examples have been explained if you search the threads.

Nice thing about being prior service, your salary will be maxed out as a Captain pretty quick.

Hey krmower or any other Army dentist,

I am looking for some guidance. I am a 4th year Army HPSP student at Penn dental. I've been getting quite anxious as I watch many of my classmates get letters of recommendation, complete applications, and apply for residencies (specialty/GPR). I have nothing to do given that I already have a position in the Army and have yet to receive much correspondence regarding assignments and applications for AEGDs/residencies.
I would love to pursue postgraduate education, and I have been interested in orthodontics since the beginning of college. I understand that I signed up with the Army to serve as a general dentist, which I'm gracious for and look forward to this learning experience. I was also told that there are postgrad residency spots available each year, and over the past few years, fresh dental school grads have been accepted to OS, prosth,and perio programs (not ortho or endo). I still would like to apply for the ortho residency, and I do realize my chances are slim. I'm an extremely driven individual, and I'll give it my all to achieve my goals. Is there anything I should be doing now for the application process?
Some of my credentials--> class rank= 2/138; GPA= 3.99/4; NBDE part I: 90's (taking part II in a few weeks); involved in and hold a few leadership positions in extracurricular activities/organizations including Psi Omega dental fraternity and ASDA; some academic awards/honors; etc.

Thank you very much for your time! I really appreciate your response!

Last edited:
Hey krmower or any other Army dentist,

I am looking for some guidance. I am a 4th year Army HPSP student at Penn dental. I've been getting quite anxious as I watch many of my classmates get letters of recommendation, complete applications, and apply for residencies (specialty/GPR). I have nothing to do given that I already have a position in the Army and have yet to receive much correspondence regarding assignments and applications for AEGDs/residencies.
I would love to pursue postgraduate education, and I have been interested in orthodontics since the beginning of college. I understand that I signed up with the Army to serve as a general dentist, which I'm gracious for and look forward to this learning experience. I was also told that there are postgrad residency spots available each year, and over the past few years, fresh dental school grads have been accepted to OS, prosth,and perio programs (not ortho or endo). I still would like to apply for the ortho residency, and I do realize my chances are slim. I'm an extremely driven individual, and I'll give it my all to achieve my goals. Is there anything I should be doing now for the application process?
Some of my credentials--> class rank= 2/138; GPA= 3.99/4; NBDE part I: 90's (taking part II in a few weeks); involved in and hold a few leadership positions in extracurricular activities/organizations including Psi Omega dental fraternity and ASDA; some academic awards/honors; etc.

Thank you very much for your time! I really appreciate your response!

With ortho it may not be a matter of no one getting accepted out of school, but that it is not open to graduating seniors. Your best bet would be to contact Army Graduate Dental Education and find out whether or not it is even a possibility. If it is not, then my recommendation would be to apply for the 1 yr AEGD since that will be a great step in differentiating yourself from others. Your only option may be to apply during your first year of service. Application times for all the postgraduate training is November. Work with the recruiter at your school or contact Ms. Flores if you have any difficulties.

It is getting more difficult because lately the 3 yr scholarships are being given out to 4 yr scholarship applicants that are wait-listed. So if they continue to use the same process/procedure those who wait to apply for a 3 yr scholarship after their first year of dental school has started are already at a disadvantage since most of the scholarships are gone. If you have not yet started dental school apply for a 4 yr scholarship now even though you won't get it, so you can get on the wait list.

What are the chances of getting a scholarship once on that list?

Is it too late for me to apply for the scholarship? I'm starting my first year of dental school this Fall. What are my options?