Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I deploy in a month, I can tell you that I literally had to fight to go on this deployment. This is the third time I've had orders, this time I will go. Even if you're on the OML (the list telling you where your are in order of who goes next) there's a good chance you won't deploy. Each cycle there are only about 8-10 dentists that will deploy with a dental company (DCAS), not sure about how many will go with a brigade or medical co.. that's not a lot, and like krmower said, by 2014 the deployment availabilities will be next to none. deployments are important for residency selection and position opportunities.
Deployments are hard to get. I got bumped once and had to scramble to find another one several months later. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't you specialize in the military right out of school? I thought you could and then it just counted as neutral years if you're doing the HPSP scholarship.
"Specializing right out of school" for most people means beginning their residency 1 yr after graduating from dental school. You will practice as a general dentist for 1 yr prior to the specialty if you were selected your senior year. If you have completed Officer basic and if there was someone who dropped out of the specialty you are going into the previous year - you may have a chance to begin immediately after dental school - but that is not common.

Hi,
During the time of residency (whether it'd be 2-yr AEGD, endo, ortho, OMFS, etc), are soldiers entitled to ASP, VSP, FLPP, etc (other bonuses entitled to them as general dentists if they're qualified)?

I've looked through the thread but there wasn't any clear answer.

Thanks in advance!
Yes you are eligible for all the bonuses you mentioned. The ones you are not eligible for are - board certified, ISP (Oral surgeons), and the specialty multi-year retention bonuses

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. Does this include the AEGD as well? Also does doing a specialty cause you to owe more years?

Okay. Does this include the AEGD as well? Also does doing a specialty cause you to owe more years?
Does what include the AEGD? The 12 month AEGD is not considered a specialty. You will owe an additional year for doing it. There is a program associated with the 12 month AEGD that has a set of requirements you can complete once you finish. They typically take between 9-18 months to finish, and when you do you may get a multi-year retention bonus that is an additional $35k/ yr. Many people choose not to do the program, or they enter specialty training before they can complete all the requirements.

J-DUB, I was just wondering about moonlighting opportunities near FT. HOOD. Are there certain dental clinics that have standing agreements with dentists stationed in the area? What is the compensation like? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

There are alot of dentists in the area and I know of 2-3 CPT's who currently moonlight. Opportunities are there. That being said you must complete ODE (off duty employment) paperwork and the dentist you work for has to sign it saying they will abide by the dentac commander's policy regarding work hours and possibility of weekend missions. Then the dentac commander has to give permission. If you're right out of school they don't always let you, after 2-3 years most people who ask for ODE privileges are granted them. As for compensation there is such a wide range it's really difficult to give an honest estimate. Some work for a flat rate, some for percentages. Sorry to skirt the question but it varies.

Deployments are hard to get. I got bumped once and had to scramble to find another one several months later. Good luck!!

Interesting isn't it, I never thought that I'd have hard time getting to Afghanistan. It's definitely something I'm looking forward too.

The simplest explanation is that the AEGD 1YR is a neutral year. It is done right out of school and if you have a 4 YR HPSP your payback will not start until your 1 YR AEGD is completed. So you will have to serve a total of 5 years.

This applies ONLY to the 1 yr program since as was already said, it is not considered a specialty.

Krmower-

Do we go through re-certification for CPR during OBLC or once we start working on assignment? Just wondering because I don't want to re-certify in April in dental school if I don't have too. Thanks.

Krmower-

Do we go through re-certification for CPR during OBLC or once we start working on assignment? Just wondering because I don't want to re-certify in April in dental school if I don't have too. Thanks.
CPR/BLS is required every 2 yrs. It is best if you have a current certification that won't expire any time soon prior to coming in. They will not do it in OBLC at all. The first chance you will have to recertify will be at your first duty assignment. You will not be allowed to see patients without a current one, and they will also hold up your credential packet that gives you the "privleges" without a valid card.

Does the 20k sign on bonus any way affect my ability to pay back my hpsp obligation and a residency obligation concurrently? It seems like it would be pretty ridiculous that it would, but it seems to be a rumour going around.

Does the 20k sign on bonus any way affect my ability to pay back my hpsp obligation and a residency obligation concurrently? It seems like it would be pretty ridiculous that it would, but it seems to be a rumour going around.
No. Free money if you have a 4 yr HPSP. If you have a 3 yr it will cause you to have a 4 yr obligation.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Free money if you have a 4 yr HPSP. If you have a 3 yr it will cause you to have a 4 yr obligation.

Thanks krmower. So is it true that if I wanted to, and could get into, oral surgery that I would spend one year as a general dentist, 4 years in residency, 4 years in payback as an oral surgeon, and then no IRR?

Thanks krmower. So is it true that if I wanted to, and could get into, oral surgery that I would spend one year as a general dentist, 4 years in residency, 4 years in payback as an oral surgeon, and then no IRR?
Yes that is correct if you were selected for OMFS right out of school.

If you still have questions about the $20k bonus ask to see the contract. The wording you are looking for is "consecutive" and not "concurrent" payback.

Someone may have already mentioned this before, but when would someone receive the money for living and/or the bonus? My school starts in August but I need to find an apartment before then.

Someone may have already mentioned this before, but when would someone receive the money for living and/or the bonus? My school starts in August but I need to find an apartment before then.
I didn't get mine until early January even though I commissioned right after undergrad in June. Realistically don't plan on getting ANY money from the Army until at least September

If you commission before school starts, the first day you are eligible for pay will be on the first day of school (no advances). The 20k bonus is split up into 3 payment during the first couple months. I would agree Tuckydent that there may be a slight delay for the first payment.

Maybe some other HPSP can tell you their experience of when they got paid.

If you commission before school starts, the first day you are eligible for pay will be on the first day of school (no advances). The 20k bonus is split up into 3 payment during the first couple months. I would agree Tuckydent that there may be a slight delay for the first payment.

Maybe some other HPSP can tell you their experience of when they got paid.
I'm a first year student on the HPSP scholarship for the Army. As soon as the Army has everything finalized, they will contact the school and tuition and fees will be paid for. The only thing I had to do (and I guess I didn't have to, but I did to make sure) was contact the school over the summer before I started to make sure they had everything they needed. I just followed up with my recruiter and the school to make sure it had processed.

For the stipend, you won't get anything until school starts. It'll come in twice a month, be split in half, once at the beginning and once in the middle. I started school August 30 and started receiving the stipend the middle of September.

The bonus came in 3 increments throughout the month of September. Just remember it's taxed, so you don't net 20 K. It's closer to 14 if I remember right.

Okay thanks for the response! I know they reimburse you if you buy your own books and equipment. How did you afford that in the beginning or did you just wait until the money came in?

As a current practicing dentist who's signed up to join the army, will I receive ASP and VSP during my OBC which lasts for 9 weeks?

As a current practicing dentist who's signed up to join the army, will I receive ASP and VSP during my OBC which lasts for 9 weeks?
Yes. Those are automatic with a valid license (any state). The ASP requires that you fill out a 1 yr contract (concurrent payback so it adds nothing to what you already owe). The first time you fill it out it will take a little long before you get paid (up to 2 months - after that it will not be delayed the same way since you are in the system), but it will be back dated to the day you initiated it. You will need to ask around at OBLC and possible talk to some of the Dental personnel at DENCOM to help get it filled in and submitted when you get there. Otherwise you will have to wait to submit it when you get to your first duty station. That is OK but not ideal since you are eligible for it as soon as you come in.

Thanks for the quick reply. Since I want to make army dentistry my career, will taking GRE improve my chance of getting accepted to army specialty (endo, os, etc)? I was looking through AF forum and they seem to take GRE score into consideration given my academic performance is not so stellar?

Thanks for the quick reply. Since I want to make army dentistry my career, will taking GRE improve my chance of getting accepted to army specialty (endo, os, etc)? I was looking through AF forum and they seem to take GRE score into consideration given my academic performance is not so stellar?
Army has not begun to use the GRE yet, and I have not heard any indication that they will. We will be getting a new director of Graduate Education this summer and we will see if things change or new guidance is put out once they are in place.

I'm a D2 Army HPSP and haven't completed OBLC. I know it's 6 weeks, but somewhere along the line I recall hearing that it would change to 3 weeks. Do I remember this correctly? Anyone have any information on this? I think the OBLC registration deadline this year is February 28.

Also, will completing OBLC before graduation improve my chances of getting into a specialty?

As always, thanks for the help...

I have not heard anything about it going to 3 weeks. As far as the specialty...no difference..they honestly don't care when you completed OBLC...however, it will be more beneficial for you to complete it while in dental school...that way you just don't have to worry about it. I actually completed mine before dental school...just get it done.

I'm a D2 Army HPSP and haven't completed OBLC. I know it's 6 weeks, but somewhere along the line I recall hearing that it would change to 3 weeks. Do I remember this correctly? Anyone have any information on this? I think the OBLC registration deadline this year is February 28.

Also, will completing OBLC before graduation improve my chances of getting into a specialty?

As always, thanks for the help...

Starting in 2013 the BOLC will be done in two parts. The first will be distance learning to be followed by 26 days in residence at Fort Sam. The biggest benefit will be that the in residence piece will be offered twice during the summer so it should accomodate just about every schedule.

The exact details haven't been worked out about the distance learning (it's being beta tested with the National Gaurd and Reserves right now). The HPSP offiice will be sending out more info as it becomes available.

I will be going in for a physical soon and i just had a question. I had a history of depression for about a year 8 years ago- been on meds for a year and now i'm fine. Not on meds, i'm not depressed.. i read in the disqualifications army list that history of anxiety/depression is grounds for disqualification. Is it okay to not tell them? I mean, I dont have it anymore and i dont take meds, i just dont see a point in letting them know and getting disqualified when it was soo long ago. Is this wrong?

I will be going in for a physical soon and i just had a question. I had a history of depression for about a year 8 years ago- been on meds for a year and now i'm fine. Not on meds, i'm not depressed.. i read in the disqualifications army list that history of anxiety/depression is grounds for disqualification. Is it okay to not tell them? I mean, I dont have it anymore and i dont take meds, i just dont see a point in letting them know and getting disqualified when it was soo long ago. Is this wrong?
You should always mention anything you have had. If it is later found out that you came in without full-disclosure it could result in you getting kicked out or being denied VA or other retirement benefits later on.

Don't compromise personal integrity!

Does anyone know how strict the physical is as far as height vs. weight goes? Will I have to be under a certain weight regardless of other vitals and body type to pass the physical? If there is a specific weight, does anyone know where that is posted? The recruiter I spoke to made it sound like it wasn't a hard and fast rule and that they will take your overall health into consideration but I want to make sure I don't miss the scholarship over something so trivial.

Does anyone know how strict the physical is as far as height vs. weight goes? Will I have to be under a certain weight regardless of other vitals and body type to pass the physical? If there is a specific weight, does anyone know where that is posted? The recruiter I spoke to made it sound like it wasn't a hard and fast rule and that they will take your overall health into consideration but I want to make sure I don't miss the scholarship over something so trivial.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/l/blintweightmale.htm

You may have already answered some of my questions, but the thread is so long I don't have enough time to read them all. I am currently in High School and want to be a dentist when I grow up and maybe considering the army to pay for my college, but I have a few unanswered questions.
1. Is the schooling I would receive by joining the army the same as if I would just go to a college normally?
2. How much do I get paid while I am in college
3. How much will I get paid after I graduate
4. How will I repay my schooling and for how long?
5. Where will I work? I do not want to get deployed and would like to work at my local base somewhe in southern California. If I do get deployed, are there any chances of me getting killed?
Thanks!

You may have already answered some of my questions, but the thread is so long I don't have enough time to read them all. I am currently in High School and want to be a dentist when I grow up and maybe considering the army to pay for my college, but I have a few unanswered questions.
1. Is the schooling I would receive by joining the army the same as if I would just go to a college normally?
2. How much do I get paid while I am in college
3. How much will I get paid after I graduate
4. How will I repay my schooling and for how long?
5. Where will I work? I do not want to get deployed and would like to work at my local base somewhe in southern California. If I do get deployed, are there any chances of me getting killed?
Thanks!
I think you need to read the threads. It will provide the depth of information that you need to know when making a career choice as important as you are. You will have other questions that will pop up as you get information and you have all 3 military services that have provided information here.

any updates on active duty bonus, last I remember they were lumping the VSP, ASP, 10k bonus together to 20K total. Is it also being rolled out in monthly payments vs lump sum? thx

What is the name of the type of officer training that Army dental officers must attend? Is it really hard or injury prone like Ranger school or something like that?

What is the name of the type of officer training that Army dental officers must attend? Is it really hard or injury prone like Ranger school or something like that?
OBLC - officer basic leadership course. Pretty easy stuff - a lot of power point. If you search the threads you will find discussions on it.

During your 1.5 months in dental school that you're on Active Duty each year, what exactly does that entail? Do you get sent somewhere? Is it training? What are you doing?

During your 1.5 months in dental school that you're on Active Duty each year, what exactly does that entail? Do you get sent somewhere? Is it training? What are you doing?
Last year was my first with the Army as an HPSP student. For ADT all they did was change my status, pay me more money, and have me continue with school. At the end of the 6 weeks I had an administrator fill out some paperwork saying I was there the whole time for school. It may be different for every school... mine doesn't have any lengthy summer breaks, so all my ADTs will be a simple status change in the Army computer system. Usually OBLC will be 6 weeks and will be your ADT (which can be done while in school).

any updates on active duty bonus, last I remember they were lumping the VSP, ASP, 10k bonus together to 20K total. Is it also being rolled out in monthly payments vs lump sum? thx
20k sign on bonus is 3 disbursements within 1 month or so of one another. They will total just under $15k (because of tax).

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone currently working at bases can weigh in on what it's like on the base? I've been told there are "good" and "bad" bases to be but I have no idea how to find out which ones are which. I was told that I would need to pick top bases according to my preference so I would appreciate any direction anyone can give me.

Thank you!

There are geographic locations that are more popular than others, but that does not mean that you will automatically have a great experience in Hawaii for instance. Some people end up having really positive experiences at the less than desirable locations. Much of the experience is based on personal preference and the people you are with can help make a place like Fort Sill more enjoyable. What I like may very well be polar opposites from what you prefer. As with all things in life you can not go into the situation expecting to have a bad time, because you will inevitably have just that. And the Army does not keep you in one place for more than a couple years, and if you are at a less than desirable location you will have more of a say on your follow on assignment. So it evens out.

OBLC - officer basic leadership course. Pretty easy stuff - a lot of power point. If you search the threads you will find discussions on it.

hey Krmower, do you know if they're doing the 20K /monthly payments for AD officers now like 63A? Or is the VSP, ASP still being paid traditionally like it was in the past?

Hey guys I just got my orders to Ft. Bliss. Was interested in hearing the thoughts of others who have been stationed there. Do all of the dentists work in the same location on base or is it spread out? Are there any residency/specialty programs there? How many dentists are stationed there? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks