Ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just how beneficial is it to be the president of the school science club, and to be the founder of an honor society in your opinion?

And how on earth do you find the time to answer all these questions?!

Just how beneficial is it to be the president of the school science club, and to be the founder of an honor society in your opinion?

And how on earth do you find the time to answer all these questions?!

Being a leader of a school club or the founder of a honor society :confused: is ok. It shows you aren't a loner.

I grab a minute here & there to hang with folks here. Having an email alert to new messages and wifi is a huge help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard of that one before, thanks for the suggestion :)
The advantage of a nice scope is that you can hear the pathology that you're trying to learn much easier. Why strain to hear some faint murmor, click, etc that your attending is trying to point out. It's worth the money, if you can afford it.
People lose stethoscopes because they put them down, I keep mine around my neck. Haven't lost one in almost 20 years.

How do I go about answering this secondary question if my score is low?

Do you believe your MCAT scores accurately represents your potential to succeed in medical school? Why or why not?

Do you like cats as much as Catalystik? Would you ever consider changing your profile picture to a picture of a cat? If so what kind of hat would it be wearing?

How do I go about answering this secondary question if my score is low?

Do you believe your MCAT scores accurately represents your potential to succeed in medical school? Why or why not?

It's a pretty straight forward question. What do you believe and why? You are the only one who can answer that question. Catalyst had a good response for you on the thread you started. I can'd to better than that.

Do you ever catch flak for admitting uh, "certain" med students? Some seem to turn out to be complete disasters- socially, academically, professionally, or all the above- does admissions hear back from faculty about these students, and revisit their application files to see if there were "warning signs" they should have noticed, and do you look for these in future applicants?

Do you ever catch flak for admitting uh, "certain" med students? Some seem to turn out to be complete disasters- socially, academically, professionally, or all the above- does admissions hear back from faculty about these students and revisit their files to see if there were "warning signs" they should look for in future applicants?

I suspect that this happens but the conversation doesn't include the adcom.

After matriculation, the admission file goes from the Dean of Admissions to the Dean of Students. Anyone in the administration who had a question about how a particular Bozo got into med school would have to go to the Dean of Admissions with that question. However, it is hard to find an answer in those files as much of the information about the interview, etc is stripped from the file after an admissions decision is made-- federal law gives students the right to their files yet there are some things that interviewers would prefer to keep confidential.

On the other hand, if we recognize warning signs in advance, we don't make an offer. However, it is hard to say that a particular characteristic is a warning sign unless you know both the numerator and denominator (what proportion of all students who have been no trouble at all have that characteristic.)

Sorry to ask another question, but I had a question about how to choose which courses should be included in our science GPA and which shouldn't.

Mainly, I took an ecosystem ecology class and got a B-. The class can be considered either a forestry class because everyone in the class, but two people were in the Forestry school (which the AAMC guidelines say should not be included) or an ecology class (which would be included).

When I fill out my apps, can I choose to not include this in my science GPA? And if I do, will adcoms call me out on this?

And I just checked the TMDSAS guidelines and ecology is not listed as one of the courses to be included in the science GPA.

Sorry to ask another question, but I had a question about how to choose which courses should be included in our science GPA and which shouldn't.

Mainly, I took an ecosystem ecology class and got a B-. The class can be considered either a forestry class because everyone in the class, but two people were in the Forestry school (which the AAMC guidelines say should not be included) or an ecology class (which would be included).

When I fill out my apps, can I choose to not include this in my science GPA? And if I do, will adcoms call me out on this?

And I just checked the TMDSAS guidelines and ecology is not listed as one of the courses to be included in the science GPA.

I've never completed an AMCAS application so I'm not sure how it works. I don't generally notice what is or is not BCPM. That said, if my grade was that bad, I'd try to get it classified as "all other" rather than BCPM so as to keep the science gpa from hurting.

I've never completed an AMCAS application so I'm not sure how it works. I don't generally notice what is or is not BCPM. That said, if my grade was that bad, I'd try to get it classified as "all other" rather than BCPM so as to keep the science gpa from hurting.

I think that is the route I am going to take. Thanks!

One of the mods should Sticky this thread....I think a lot of answers to common questions can be found here. Pretty useful resource to eliminate re-posts

Members don't see this ad :)
what constitutes a "drop" in the gpa? my semester GPAs have been hovering around 3.3 mark for the past few semesters +/- .02 points. would an adcom see me as steady or dropping?

what constitutes a "drop" in the gpa? my semester GPAs have been hovering around 3.3 mark for the past few semesters +/- .02 points. would an adcom see me as steady or dropping?

what we see is posted by year, not by semester.

Stick your gpa by year at in an excel file and use the graph function (or get out a piece of graph paper and a pencil).

What do you see?

Most common is a J curve with the sophomore year lower than freshman year and junior year higher than freshman year. O-chem is often the culprit in that second year gpa.

If it is a slide with each year being less than the year before, that is a concern... is the applicant unable to manage well with upper level material?

1.) I know that having a legacy (grandparents, parents) at a medical school might be helpful, but does having a sibling currently attending the school ever help an applicant? Always been curious about this.

2.) We talk a lot about what to wear to an interview here at SDN. Has an applicant's clothing ever had a significant negative impact on how you evaluated their interview? Have you ever seen an interviewee wear anything really crazy?

3.) This cycle, I was offered an interview at a very competitive/super reach school, with an average MCAT significantly above my own. I feel very lucky, especially since I don't have any of those "hook," stand-out ECs, publications, or awards. I was wondering how often a top tier school might take a shot on interviewing an otherwise ordinary applicant? What are things that applicants themselves often overlook, but happen to catch the eye of adcoms?

1.) I know that having a legacy (grandparents, parents) at a medical school might be helpful, but does having a sibling currently attending the school ever help an applicant? Always been curious about this.

Sometimes, it makes an adcom member think that a very qualified applicant might actually matriculate with us rather than choose a more prestigious school or one in a more desirable location (opinions vary as to what is a desirable location).

2.) We talk a lot about what to wear to an interview here at SDN. Has an applicant's clothing ever had a significant negative impact on how you evaluated their interview? Have you ever seen an interviewee wear anything really crazy?

Someone was horrified recently to interview a woman who was wearing slacks and a cardigan. Frankly, I liked that she thumbed her nose at convention but some adcom members may go nuts at her audacity. Stay tuned.

3.) This cycle, I was offered an interview at a very competitive/super reach school, with an average MCAT significantly above my own. I feel very lucky, especially since I don't have any of those "hook," stand-out ECs, publications, or awards. I was wondering how often a top tier school might take a shot on interviewing an otherwise ordinary applicant? What are things that applicants themselves often overlook, but happen to catch the eye of adcoms?

Sometimes we make mistakes. :smuggrin: /jk

Seriously, sometimes we see ourselves in an applicant whether it is working in retail or having a grandparent with a specific chronic illness, or belonging to a specific club or frat. You never know what will resonate with someone.

Hey Lizzy...another question

Do you look down on applicants who are first generation college students? or does it help an applicants chances?

Thanks

lizzy, let's say there is a med school near my home that i am both qualified for (stats-wise) and extremely interested in attending due to some family problems that i can alleviate if i am home. will the school take into account that i would matriculate there over all others? how do you prove such a thing?

Hi Lizzy :)

I am changing my major to forensic science because I have always been interested in it, and I want back up options if I fail to get in. Biology does interest me but ONLY human biology; when we start talking about fish and plant structures, you may as well sit me in front a wall to watch paint dry. :laugh:

Anyway, I am by no means doing it to look interesting on a piece of paper, but would this be something that catches your eye? Also, I made the front of a major newspaper by meeting President Bush when I was in the military, is this worth bringing up?

lizzy, let's say there is a med school near my home that i am both qualified for (stats-wise) and extremely interested in attending due to some family problems that i can alleviate if i am home. will the school take into account that i would matriculate there over all others? how do you prove such a thing?

I would not bring up the family problems... schools like to think that you will be focused on school, or leaning on home & family to provide moral support -- not being further stretched by demands at home.

All you can do is hope of an interview and talk about why you love the school (other than its location) and how the location is an added bonus as you are familiar with the area, have family and friends here and would very much like to be in a familiar place for med school. That's clearly understandable without getting into the messy stuff.

Hi Lizzy :)

I am changing my major to forensic science because I have always been interested in it, and I want back up options if I fail to get in. Biology does interest me but ONLY human biology; when we start talking about fish and plant structures, you may as well sit me in front a wall to watch paint dry. :laugh:

Anyway, I am by no means doing it to look interesting on a piece of paper, but would this be something that catches your eye? Also, I made the front of a major newspaper by meeting President Bush when I was in the military, is this worth bringing up?

It seems to me that just being in the military is good for 5 LizzyM points. Having been in the right place at the right time to be in a photo with the Commander in Chief isn't note-worthy over and above having served in the military and could be polarizing.

Hello, i'm a third year medical students in China, i'm not US citizen,
i would like to apply for medical review courses in any university in US or UK, for this winter or summer break, ( 2 months approximately)
i would like to make review of basic science courses such as Biochemistry, Microbiology,Pathology,Physiology and etc
can you guide me to any university that provide these kind of courses????

thanks

Hello, i'm a third year medical students in China, i'm not US citizen,
i would like to apply for medical review courses in any university in US or UK, for this winter or summer break, ( 2 months approximately)
i would like to make review of basic science courses such as Biochemistry, Microbiology,Pathology,Physiology and etc
can you guide me to any university that provide these kind of courses????

thanks

Sorry, I don't know of any such programs.

hello, thank you for answering my questions last time. :)

(1) I am working on one of secondary questions and it's asking me how am I, as an applicant, adds to school's mission of educating diverse set of students and how my uniqueness adds to the strength and diversity of their class.
In response, I am planning to write about my international background (diversity) and my pursuit of education in America and intellectual curiosity which eventually developed into my desire to practice medicine (strength). Does my answer sound appropriate?

(2) Another question is, as a permanent resident alien, I will be residing here and will serve American patients for the rest of my life. But sometimes, others don't assume this unless I mention it. Do you think it's necessary to stress my will to stay in the U.S. and serve American patients in at least one of my statements?

(3) There was a question about how physicians could fight the disparities in health care.
I briefly wrote about my plan to volunteer at charity clinics and practicing in underserved areas and supported it with my 3 years of volunteering at homeless clinic. However, I also wrote about the sad realities I learned after meeting several residents through shadowing, I learned that very few are willing to bear geographic and financial disadvantages and my optimism and aspiration to serve the underserved could fade away after rigorous schooling/training. Though I am going to do my best to not to lose my spirit, do you think it's dangerous to mention these realities in my statement?

(4) In addition, to fight the disparities, I wrote about joining organizations like AMA and getting involved in advocacy to supplement PPACA. however, I recently learned from a resident that though AMA can suggest and provide ideas and insights, the organization is actually powerless. So this is not a strong answer correct?

Last edited:
Likewise, an applicant whose parents are physicians might be able to get away with a little less shadowing in the experience section with the expectation that they've had some experience of what a life is medicine is all about from growing up with it.

My father and my uncle are physicians with their own private practices, and I was wondering how I can effectively communicate this ongoing exposure to medicine to medical schools as an EC? Although I haven't done anything "official", I have spent many summers and weekends in my family's clinics and have even assisted in the startup of a pediatrics clinic (albiet by creating advertisements, and setting up the internet infrastructure of the clinic). Right now, I'm helping my father switch to electronic medical records.

Thanks for the thread LizzyM!

I understand that graduate school is looked at differently depending on the school. How does your school view graduate school and graduate GPA? Could this help overcome poor GPA in Freshman/Sophomore years? My specific scenario: M.S. at a medical school

I meant to take an EMT class for continuing education, but the registrar at the school I took it at made a mistake, and it shows up on my transcript as taken for credit. I, unfortunately, did not perform to my usual standards because I thought it would have been for CE and got a B. I understand I have to report it to med schools regardless, but my question is, does this class count against my BCPM GPA?

Additionally, if I explain it in my application appropriately do you think it will be okay? My GPA is still solid even after the B is averaged in (3.7+), but I just want it to be clear that I actually just wanted to do enough to pass the class and get my certification. I also go to a top 20 school if that makes a difference.

Thank you very much Lizzy, and I hope you had a wonderful holidays.

Can you make any suggestions for turning a pre-interview hold into an interview invitation? I have sent my one letter of update. I have considered that if I send any more I might be viewed as a pest.

hello, thank you for answering my questions last time. :)

(1) I am working on one of secondary questions and it's asking me how am I, as an applicant, adds to school's mission of educating diverse set of students and how my uniqueness adds to the strength and diversity of their class.
In response, I am planning to write about my international background (diversity) and my pursuit of education in America and intellectual curiosity which eventually developed into my desire to practice medicine (strength). Does my answer sound appropriate?
yes
(2) Another question is, as a permanent resident alien, I will be residing here and will serve American patients for the rest of my life. But sometimes, others don't assume this unless I mention it. Do you think it's necessary to stress my will to stay in the U.S. and serve American patients in at least one of my statements?
It is not necessary but it may be informative.
(3) There was a question about how physicians could fight the disparities in health care.
I briefly wrote about my plan to volunteer at charity clinics and practicing in underserved areas and supported it with my 3 years of volunteering at homeless clinic. However, I also wrote about the sad realities I learned after meeting several residents through shadowing, I learned that very few are willing to bear geographic and financial disadvantages and my optimism and aspiration to serve the underserved could fade away after rigorous schooling/training. Though I am going to do my best to not to lose my spirit, do you think it's dangerous to mention these realities in my statement?
It shows you are realistic.
(4) In addition, to fight the disparities, I wrote about joining organizations like AMA and getting involved in advocacy to supplement PPACA. however, I recently learned from a resident that though AMA can suggest and provide ideas and insights, the organization is actually powerless. So this is not a strong answer correct?

As I understand it, less than half of all physicians are members of the AMA. This last bit could be polarizing. If you feel strongly about it and want to take a chance, go ahead. It could hurt or help depending on your readers' own biases.

My father and my uncle are physicians with their own private practices, and I was wondering how I can effectively communicate this ongoing exposure to medicine to medical schools as an EC? Although I haven't done anything "official", I have spent many summers and weekends in my family's clinics and have even assisted in the startup of a pediatrics clinic (albiet by creating advertisements, and setting up the internet infrastructure of the clinic). Right now, I'm helping my father switch to electronic medical records.

There is a place on the application to list your father's name & occupation. Some applicants will use an entry in the "experience" section to describe work for a parent's practice (some even list the parent as a contact and I haven't heard criticism of that). Furthermore, if it is related to your decision to pursue a career in medicine, then you might want to use your experiences as a basis for your personal statement.

Thanks for the thread LizzyM!

I understand that graduate school is looked at differently depending on the school. How does your school view graduate school and graduate GPA? Could this help overcome poor GPA in Freshman/Sophomore years? My specific scenario: M.S. at a medical school

We don't see many students with poor freshman/sophomore gpas.

We like to see gpas in grad school at 3.8 or higher. Same goes for undergrad. Many schools are not looking for academic superstars so take this with a grain of salt.

I meant to take an EMT class for continuing education, but the registrar at the school I took it at made a mistake, and it shows up on my transcript as taken for credit. I, unfortunately, did not perform to my usual standards because I thought it would have been for CE and got a B. I understand I have to report it to med schools regardless, but my question is, does this class count against my BCPM GPA?
Those usually get counted as "HEAL" and that's not BCPM.
Additionally, if I explain it in my application appropriately do you think it will be okay? My GPA is still solid even after the B is averaged in (3.7+), but I just want it to be clear that I actually just wanted to do enough to pass the class and get my certification. I also go to a top 20 school if that makes a difference.

No one really cares.

Does the pedigree or prominence (trying not to use the word "ranking") of an applicant's undergrad school, or the lack thereof, influence how favorably their academic accomplishments are viewed?

In your experience, do you believe that any such differences can be a factor (directly or subconsciously) affecting which applicants are offered interviews and ultimately admission offers, all else being equal?

This question is not related to "What are my chances?"

Though I am going to do my best in applying, I am also preparing for not getting in this year's cycle. Because (a) my MCAT is only 28Q with 7 on verbal and (b) I am an international applicant and will get my green card this January 2012, so all my instate schools(FL) will not review my application until next month. If I don't get in this year, I will be retaking my MCAT. I have been reading regularly and have improved my reading comprehension skill.

However, I am concerned about my personal statements. I am going to rewrite my primary, but my secondaries, I spent nearly 3 months writing them, and med students, residents, fellows told me that they were strong. If the problems of my application for this year are the delay due to green card and below 30 MCAT, then as an adcom, do you want me completely rewrite my personal statements or tweak them?

Last edited:
Happy holidays, and thank you for all the informative answers! :love:

1) From reading through these forums, getting one or more publications in some journal seems to be the norm these days. If I've dabbled in research but received no publications, does this significantly hurt my chances? If my research only consists of the "making reagents / washing test tubes" variety, is that also a deal breaker?

2) My only long term EC, barring the volunteering/shadowing typical of a cookie cutter premed, is creative writing. While this is a serious hobby of mine and has evolved with me since I learned to hold a pencil, it's also not one with a lot of merit. It's not like I've gotten any works formally published :( should I even consider listing "writing" on my application?

Hey Lizzy, first of all, this is awesome. I don't post much but I had to when I saw this thread. Anyway, I was wondering how much you think luck plays into admissions decisions, especially at top tier schools. I like to think that I'm a pretty competitive applicant, but so far in this cycle I've gotten 2 IIs (one of which is my state school and both came in mid-December when I was complete in July/Aug). My advisers say they don't know what happened so for now I assume I just got unlucky. Is that possible? Or is there probably something wrong with me? Not trying to complain, just wondering.

Does the pedigree or prominence (trying not to use the word "ranking") of an applicant's undergrad school, or the lack thereof, influence how favorably their academic accomplishments are viewed?
yes
In your experience, do you believe that any such differences can be a factor (directly or subconsciously) affecting which applicants are offered interviews and ultimately admission offers, all else being equal?

Yes. Would you consider a Biology major from Yale with a 3.7 and MCAT of 34 to be equal to a Biology major from University of New Haven with a 3.7 and MCAT of 34?

This question is not related to "What are my chances?"

Though I am going to do my best in applying, I am also preparing for not getting in this year's cycle. Because (a) my MCAT is only 28Q with 7 on verbal and (b) I am an international applicant and will get my green card this January 2012, so all my instate schools(FL) will not review my application until next month. If I don't get in this year, I will be retaking my MCAT. I have been reading regularly and have improved my reading comprehension skill.

However, I am concerned about my personal statements. I am going to rewrite my primary, but my secondaries, I spent nearly 3 months writing them, and med students, residents, fellows told me that they were strong. If the problems of my application for this year are the delay due to green card and below 30 MCAT, then as an adcom, do you want me completely rewrite my personal statements or tweak them?

I don't care as long as it is well written and responds to the prompt. The prompt might change so be sure to read the prompt before cutting & pasting your essay.

Hi Lizzy. I've been told admissions committees favor non-traditional applicants who have spent time gaining "real world experience." What do you consider sufficient real world experience? During an interview, would it be premature to describe one's experience working in industry for a year following completion of a Master's program as a strength differentiating oneself from the rest of the pack?

Edit: Thank you!

Happy holidays, and thank you for all the informative answers! :love:

1) From reading through these forums, getting one or more publications in some journal seems to be the norm these days. If I've dabbled in research but received no publications, does this significantly hurt my chances? If my research only consists of the "making reagents / washing test tubes" variety, is that also a deal breaker?

I've reviewed >500 applications this year at a top tier school and believe me, one or more publications is not the norm these days! Being a tech who makes solutions and washes up is not as good as getting involved in hypothesis testing and perhaps if you have a year or more before submitting your application, you might get to that point before you apply.
2) My only long term EC, barring the volunteering/shadowing typical of a cookie cutter premed, is creative writing. While this is a serious hobby of mine and has evolved with me since I learned to hold a pencil, it's also not one with a lot of merit. It's not like I've gotten any works formally published :( should I even consider listing "writing" on my application?

Creative writing is a nice hobby. Go for it.

have you ever interviewed middle eastern students?
how are they looked at (I mean are they seen as minorities)?
what about Muslims (wearing headscarves) how are they looked at? (by that I mean does it become a problem knowing that they might not so much follow the dress code, etc..)

Thank you

Hey Lizzy, first of all, this is awesome. I don't post much but I had to when I saw this thread. Anyway, I was wondering how much you think luck plays into admissions decisions, especially at top tier schools. I like to think that I'm a pretty competitive applicant, but so far in this cycle I've gotten 2 IIs (one of which is my state school and both came in mid-December when I was complete in July/Aug). My advisers say they don't know what happened so for now I assume I just got unlucky. Is that possible? Or is there probably something wrong with me? Not trying to complain, just wondering.

Yes, sometimes a little luck is needed. That's why we say, "apply broadly". You just never know if your application will resonate with an adcom member.

Congrats on the interviews... let's hope you can convert at least one to an offer.

Hi Lizzy, quick question:

I'm in similar position as a previous poster in that I had two semesters of WU at a former school but maintain a 4.0 after 2 years at new school. Throughout ones college career, for the medical school application, is GPA assessed and averaged cumulatively from all schools? Or is it taken from the institution from which you graduated? thanks!

Hi Lizzy. I've been told admissions committees favor non-traditional applicants who have spent time gaining "real world experience." What do you consider sufficient real world experience?
A year or two of employment.... but most of our matriculants last year were traditional applicants coming right out of undergrad.

During an interview, would it be premature to describe one's experience working in industry for a year following completion of a Master's program as a strength differentiating oneself from the rest of the pack?

Edit: Thank you!

Why wait until the interview... put it on your application! If you aren't employed at the time that you submit, then I guess you'l have to provide it as an update if you are offered an interview.

have you ever interviewed middle eastern students?
how are they looked at (I mean are they seen as minorities)?
what about Muslims (wearing headscarves) how are they looked at? (by that I mean does it become a problem knowing that they might not so much follow the dress code, etc..)

Thank you

I have interviewed about 80 students per year for the past 6 cycles so I suppose I have interviewed middle eastern students. I don' t think about it very much. They are not considered "under-represented in medicine".

We have enrolled students who wear headscarves so I wouldn't consider it a factor to be considered in making admission decisions.

Hi Lizzy, quick question:

I'm in similar position as a previous poster in that I had two semesters of WU at a former school but maintain a 4.0 after 2 years at new school. Throughout ones college career, for the medical school application, is GPA assessed and averaged cumulatively from all schools?

yes
Or is it taken from the institution from which you graduated?

no

Status
Not open for further replies.