Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First of all, thank you for starting this thread!

I do have several questions
1) How common is it for programs to send invitations for second look? and should I request a second look to a programs if I am highly interested in it?
2) some PD and interviewers told me to "keep in touch." I know that this is a customary response to my thank-you emails, but there are programs that I am interested in more than others. I was wondering how I can go about in "keeping touch" without sending meaningless letters?
3) I guess this question is similar to the above question. Can I tell my top choice program that I am going to rank them #1, or is it a violation of the match process? Also, if I have 3-4 programs that I am strongly considering, can I tell them that they will be "my top choice"?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

1) How common is it for programs to send invitations for second look? and should I request a second look to a programs if I am highly interested in it?
2) some PD and interviewers told me to "keep in touch." I know that this is a customary response to my thank-you emails, but there are programs that I am interested in more than others. I was wondering how I can go about in "keeping touch" without sending meaningless letters?
3) I guess this question is similar to the above question. Can I tell my top choice program that I am going to rank them #1, or is it a violation of the match process? Also, if I have 3-4 programs that I am strongly considering, can I tell them that they will be "my top choice"?

You can definitely tell your number one that you will rank them as such; it is not a violation. As for telling the other 3-4 they are your "top choice" they obviously aren't your top choice and while you can technically do whatever you want this is immoral and might burn some bridges.

Edit: people doing this is also the reason most PDs don't take these kinds of communications seriously or let it affect their rank list

1) How common is it for programs to send invitations for second look? and should I request a second look to a programs if I am highly interested in it? Programs cannot require a second visit, so I don't know that many will invite anyone back for a second look. However, candidates can ask for a second visit. We have always granted a request for a second look.

2) some PD and interviewers told me to "keep in touch." I know that this is a customary response to my thank-you emails, but there are programs that I am interested in more than others. I was wondering how I can go about in "keeping touch" without sending meaningless letters? Send an email thanking the the PD for their time and that you enjoyed your interviews. Then mention a few things about the program you really like.

3) I guess this question is similar to the above question. Can I tell my top choice program that I am going to rank them #1, or is it a violation of the match process? Also, if I have 3-4 programs that I am strongly considering, can I tell them that they will be "my top choice"? I don't think there is anything I can add to Beacopp's response.

@Fredercia I sent you an PM if you could please answer my situation. thanks

When is the due date for residency programs' ROL? Is it the same due date as the applicants (late february)?

Last edited:
Hello friends!!! I am hoping you might help me with my predicament.

I am an US allopathic MS4 at a good medical school, applying for EM, attended 14 interviews (2 of which were from aways), honors on all subinternships, and awesome letters.

Problem is I got a 220 on Step1 and a 220 on Step2CK (a large percentile drop). I have not released my CK scores yet. What should I do? Only 2 programs have formally asked me for my Step2CK scores, the rest largely seem extremely positive about me even not knowing the score. A handful have even volunteered that I will be ranked to match.

I was sick and should have postponed CK but I figured it would be fine. I was wrong. Please help

Hello friends!!! I am hoping you might help me with my predicament.

I am an US allopathic MS4 at a good medical school, applying for EM, attended 14 interviews (2 of which were from aways), honors on all subinternships, and awesome letters.

Problem is I got a 220 on Step1 and a 220 on Step2CK (a large percentile drop). I have not released my CK scores yet. What should I do? Only 2 programs have formally asked me for my Step2CK scores, the rest largely seem extremely positive about me even not knowing the score. A handful have even volunteered that I will be ranked to match.

I was sick and should have postponed CK but I figured it would be fine. I was wrong. Please help

Just post them. Many places won't rank you without it...

I was wondering if anyone had information regarding Categorical vs. Advanced spots in a residency program. I am applying for PM&R that requires a preliminary year but I only applied to osteopathic prelim years (TRI), which I would match into a month before the ACGME match. If I match into a TRI, I will be pulled from all the categorical spots in the ACGME match. My top choice PM&R program (ACGME) offers both categorical and advanced positions. I am debating whether I should rank both cat & adv positions at my top choice and NOT rank my TRIs to increase my chances of matching at my number one.
Does anyone know if categorical spots are much more competitive than advanced spots (do more applicants rank one vs the other) and whether it would be worth risking scrambling for a TRI if I don't get my first choice? The PM&R program said they make the same lists for both adv and categorical spots if that makes a difference.
I know my situation is kind of confusing and doesn't have a clear answer, but I'd just like to get any opinions or information. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone had information regarding Categorical vs. Advanced spots in a residency program. I am applying for PM&R that requires a preliminary year but I only applied to osteopathic prelim years (TRI), which I would match into a month before the ACGME match. If I match into a TRI, I will be pulled from all the categorical spots in the ACGME match. My top choice PM&R program (ACGME) offers both categorical and advanced positions. I am debating whether I should rank both cat & adv positions at my top choice and NOT rank my TRIs to increase my chances of matching at my number one.
Does anyone know if categorical spots are much more competitive than advanced spots (do more applicants rank one vs the other) and whether it would be worth risking scrambling for a TRI if I don't get my first choice? The PM&R program said they make the same lists for both adv and categorical spots if that makes a difference.
I know my situation is kind of confusing and doesn't have a clear answer, but I'd just like to get any opinions or information. Thanks!

Here's a nice write up on this topic:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/osteopathic-pm-r-trad-year-question.922008/#post-12638087

Reactions: 1 users
When is the due date for residency programs' ROL? Is it the same due date as the applicants (late february)?

I believe the answer is yes. We have to enter and certify our ROL by 9:00 p.m. ET on February 25th.

Great thread! Immediately after my interviews, some PDs emailed me and I responded. Other programs waited a few weeks and I responded. Now that I am done interviewing (and I am interviewing for a second residency), I emailed PDs Monday saying what I liked about their program and was honest with my number one and told others I liked their programs and would be happy to match there. I have heard nothing from any of the programs I emailed, is this a bad sign? One program I applied to as an MD and DO applicant as their MD applicants seem less competitive than their DO applicants and I specifically asked the PD if it would be a bad idea to just apply to the allopathic match to simplify things (my number one is an MD program and if I match at the DO program I have no chance to match in the MD program). OR do some programs just not respond?

In my experience, some programs don't respond. There were a couple programs I interviewed at where they specifically said that they would not communicate with us post interview.

I also had a couple programs send me love letters--hand-written notes from the PD emphasizing how good of a fit I was, multiple letters from the program inviting me back, etc. I ranked those programs highly (because I liked them, not because of the love letters), and ended up matching lower than them on my list. So take all communication with the program with a huge grain of salt.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a reply. As stated, some programs simply don't communicate with applicants post interview. Good luck!

How bad is it to not send a thank you note post-interview? What about sending a thank you note > 1 month out from the interview date?

How bad is it to not send a thank you note post-interview? What about sending a thank you note > 1 month out from the interview date?

Programs differ. Thank you notes don't have any affect on the ROL at my program, but another coordinator in my specialty once told me that she expects notes as a courtesy and not receiving one makes an applicant drop on her program's ROL (although she didn't say by how much). If a program tells you how much they like receiving notes/feedback/post-interview contact, I'd recommend sending something. If you feel weird about not sending a note, then send one. If it's been a while since your interview, you can couch it in terms of having recently completed your interviews. If, however, the program has said that thank you notes are not necessary or expected then you can safely pass. If a program didn't stipulate (I have yet to have an interview date where someone didn't ask during our final question/answer wrap-up-the-interview-day session), then follow your instinct.

I truly believe that the vast majority of programs aren't influenced one way or another by thank you notes or "I'm ranking you first" letters. But having had that conversation with another coordinator at a strong program after last year's Match, I'm reticent to say it doesn't matter.

Great thread! Immediately after my interviews, some PDs emailed me and I responded. Other programs waited a few weeks and I responded. Now that I am done interviewing (and I am interviewing for a second residency), I emailed PDs Monday saying what I liked about their program and was honest with my number one and told others I liked their programs and would be happy to match there. I have heard nothing from any of the programs I emailed, is this a bad sign? One program I applied to as an MD and DO applicant as their MD applicants seem less competitive than their DO applicants and I specifically asked the PD if it would be a bad idea to just apply to the allopathic match to simplify things (my number one is an MD program and if I match at the DO program I have no chance to match in the MD program). OR do some programs just not respond?

As others have mentioned, it is not a bad thing if a program has not replied to you.

I am a little confused about the MD/DO situation. Can you explain that a little more?

Cheers,
Freddie

Programs differ. Thank you notes don't have any affect on the ROL at my program, but another coordinator in my specialty once told me that she expects notes as a courtesy and not receiving one makes an applicant drop on her program's ROL (although she didn't say by how much). If a program tells you how much they like receiving notes/feedback/post-interview contact, I'd recommend sending something. If you feel weird about not sending a note, then send one. If it's been a while since your interview, you can couch it in terms of having recently completed your interviews. If, however, the program has said that thank you notes are not necessary or expected then you can safely pass. If a program didn't stipulate (I have yet to have an interview date where someone didn't ask during our final question/answer wrap-up-the-interview-day session), then follow your instinct.

I truly believe that the vast majority of programs aren't influenced one way or another by thank you notes or "I'm ranking you first" letters. But having had that conversation with another coordinator at a strong program after last year's Match, I'm reticent to say it doesn't matter.

I have to admit, I snickered at the program coordinator or program expecting a note. I too am in a strong program, but the ROL is not affected whether we receive notes or not. Expecting a note and dropping the rank of the applicant because you did not receive one is a little over the top, IMHO.

I have to admit, I snickered at the program coordinator or program expecting a note. I too am in a strong program, but the ROL is not affected whether we receive notes or not. Expecting a note and dropping the rank of the applicant because you did not receive one is a little over the top, IMHO.

I completely agree. But since I now know a coordinator who's program believes that notes are an important indicator of...something...I can't give my usual blanket "it doesn't matter" response. Hopefully programs that expect notes are clear about it.

A note may be looked at as the applicant expressing interest in the program. Some programs will manipulate their ROL due to perceived interest. For instance, if Candidate A and B are equal otherwise, if A has never communicated since the interview, and B sent a thank you note, then B may be ranked higher than A. My program does not do it that way; we rank strictly by how we want them. Which means that we may go a little lower on the list than if we had used the other method, but sometimes we are surprised by someone we did not think liked us ranked us high enough to match.

Since it's the end of interview season, would it be a good idea to let programs know we're ranking them #1 or very highly at this time? I have already mailed a written Thank You note after each interview. If yes, which is better: snail mail or email? And also should we list all the reasons why that program in particular again, even though they were discussed during interview?
I feel like it would be a good way for the PD to remember which applicant it comes from, but at the same time I'm afraid it might be seen as annoying. Any thoughts?

Thank you Frederica for your candid responses. I have learned so much just by reading through this thread. I do have a question regarding the utility of actually sending a program a "you're my number one" letter. What does a program stand to gain by matching a resident who also ranks them highly?

I can imagine the intangible aspect of Bringing aboard a resident that genuinely wants to be there and will (possibly) work harder as a result. Anything else?

In addition, in sending these #1 letters, should I send it to my interviewer or the PD? At a few programs, I interviewed with an aPD only, and barely met the PD. If I were to send my letter to the PD instead of my interviewer, would this be perceived as trying "to go over the head" of the aPD that I interviewed with?

I realize that the #1 letters have little to no effect after the rank list has been created--might they have any effect prior to the rank meeting?

Thank you Frederica for your candid responses. I have learned so much just by reading through this thread. I do have a question regarding the utility of actually sending a program a "you're my number one" letter. What does a program stand to gain by matching a resident who also ranks them highly?

I can imagine the intangible aspect of Bringing aboard a resident that genuinely wants to be there and will (possibly) work harder as a result. Anything else?

In addition, in sending these #1 letters, should I send it to my interviewer or the PD? At a few programs, I interviewed with an aPD only, and barely met the PD. If I were to send my letter to the PD instead of my interviewer, would this be perceived as trying "to go over the head" of the aPD that I interviewed with?

I don't think letters from applicants stating they plan to rank the program #1 makes much of a difference. Programs are going to rank applicants in the order THEY want, not based on who they think the applicant will match #1.

If anything, ask for a second visit, and request to see specific things (i.e. clinic, procedures, etc.) and meet with specific attendings you did not get to meet previously.

Hi Frederica,

I am only a third year, but in looking at potential residencies I see that sometimes my board scores are just under the cutoffs the program has posted on their website. Is it worth applying when I'm 3pts under their minimum score? Some people have given me different answers.

Hi Frederica,

I am only a third year, but in looking at potential residencies I see that sometimes my board scores are just under the cutoffs the program has posted on their website. Is it worth applying when I'm 3pts under their minimum score? Some people have given me different answers.
Applying to programs is basically free. If your score is really just one or 2 points under their published or assumed cutoff, no harm in spending $20 or 30.

Applying to programs is basically free. If your score is really just one or 2 points under their published or assumed cutoff, no harm in spending $20 or 30.
I love that answer... it's my top choice :D

Practically every residency forum on SDN has a "interview dates" thread in which members post interview dates as they've come available. My question is how you would feel if an applicant asked you for interview dates before the interview season, or before an invite. For some reason this topic appears taboo for applicants and I just can't understand why.

Practically every residency forum on SDN has a "interview dates" thread in which members post interview dates as they've come available. My question is how you would feel if an applicant asked you for interview dates before the interview season, or before an invite. For some reason this topic appears taboo for applicants and I just can't understand why.

I have received phone calls and emails asking about interview dates, if I have them I give them out.

What bothers me is when candidates ask if they can have their own interview date because our dates do not work with their schedule. We set aside dates months in advance, and we still have faculty who aren't able to interview though they are scheduled to. Trying to set up an interview for one applicant is very time consuming and difficult, especially when you manage multiple programs.

Frederica,
The same thing happens to me too. I even had a couple that sounded almost like they were throwing a hissy fit, could not understand why they could not just "drop in" on us and interview. As if we have faculty just standing around, waiting to talk to these "special ones", and unlimited funds to be able to do all the things we do on a "normal" day. However, in a way, it probably works to the best, as I am not sure that such a self-centered, arrogant person would be such a good fit in our program anyway!

And I do give out dates. We are in the process now of blocking out dates for next year...will get them finalized by June.

Reactions: 4 users

I don't give out my dates until an interview is offered. My program sends invitations a few at a time rather than in bulk, and interview dates fill unevenly--so the dates sent to an applicant invited in mid September will likely be different from the applicant invited in mid October. Unless the applicant is really limiting him/herself geographically, I don't think it can be that helpful to chart a travel path to all the programs they want to visit, only to find that it won't work because the days most convenient for them are already filled and they have to start making a travel plan from scratch anyway.

I also have a small but real fear that if my dates are published someone "in the area" might arrive unexpectedly on interview day. I know the likelihood of that happening is vanishingly small, but I still don't want to create a scenario wherein it could happen.

I can see the information being valuable to an applicant for three reasons: 1) It would allow the applicant to schedule around a top choice. 2) It would give the applicant a fighting chance to schedule regionally. 3) It would allow the applicant to know when to contact PCs to see if I could get a space available interview as the interview season comes to a close.

There are threads posted yearly with tons of applicants trying to seek out this information. Applicants treat this as some kind of black-market transaction going down...and I just cannot understand why.

Do you feel that an applicant would be penalized by enquiring about interview dates before the interview is granted?

I can see the information being valuable to an applicant for three reasons: 1) It would allow the applicant to schedule around a top choice. 2) It would give the applicant a fighting chance to schedule regionally. 3) It would allow the applicant to know when to contact PCs to see if I could get a space available interview as the interview season comes to a close.

There are threads posted yearly with tons of applicants trying to seek out this information. Applicants treat this as some kind of black-market transaction going down...and I just cannot understand why.

Do you feel that an applicant would be penalized by enquiring about interview dates before the interview is granted?

I do see your point. But I think the better strategy from the applicant's point of view would be to schedule based on interviews offered, then cancel a previously-scheduled interview date if a top-choice one becomes available. I would certainly think differently if my program invited all the applicants at once so everyone had a fair first shot at all the dates. But if someone knows in advance that we have interview dates on Oct 27, Nov 10, Nov 17, Dec 4, and Dec 12, and schedules other interviews around being able to visit my program Nov 17th if invited, but that date fills before my selection committee approves them for an invitation, aren't they going to be more frustrated? They potentially didn't schedule other interviews in order to save that date, and they have to revise their regional travel plan now anyway (assuming we're still a top choice and they want to take one of our available dates rather than only be put on a wait list for their preferred date).

At my program I don't see how an applicant would be penalized for asking--it's not something the selection committee or interviewers would know about.

Frederica,
Would it be a good idea to let programs know by email that we just received and submitted to ERAS the Step 2 CS pass?

The only reason I really don't like giving dates out, even though I do, is that we are one of the top programs and seem to always get more applicants than our counterparts. I am 99% sure we have not invited an applicant who asked for interview dates. Not because they inquired, I don't tell the PD that, it has just turned out that way. So I have probably gotten someone's hopes up and I feel badly (for a second) when they are not invited to interview.

Trying to schedule something that one is hoping for in order to be efficient with travel funds is a gamble. Much as we each try to control a situation, we aren't always that lucky. @mcl is right, better to schedule an interview then cancel if your top program offers an interview on the same date.

I don't know why applicants treat interview dates as a black-market transaction. Maybe it is because medicine has become so competitive, especially certain specialties.

Thank you for the responses

I'll second (third?) the information already given about interview dates. We have a set number of days, and we generally offer them on certain days during the week because we have to coordinate with another program (we are categorical), clinic schedules, GME, etc. If someone asks, I will always say that interviews *generally* occur on X days of the week in X months, and that I will follow up with specific dates should an interview invitation be issued. We don't have any problems with applicants contacting us to ask about this, and we wouldn't hold it against anyone-- it's always nice to know that someone is interested in our program.

We will very, very occasionally go outside of our parameters in very unusual circumstances (ie a local applicant that we know, who is on an away rotation, cannot make any dates in November, and all other dates are full, for example).

I believe the ERAS system keeps improving and would like to know if such filters exist/how do they work:

1) Year of graduation, is it from graduation to September? or March of the following year? Also, does internship year and ggovernmentalservice work count as medical education or considered as a gap?

2) Is it true that there is a filter for publications? If so, just for peer reviewed papers only? Chapters? or total publications?

3) aprogdirector once mentioned that "gender, race, birth date and place, and SSN" are all blocked and there is no filter for them? In other words, does that mean the program can not filter on my US citizenship status? I thought being a US citizen gives some advantage. I am aware that it might will after coming to interview and asked by programs what visa you want and I respond I am US citizen, but I want to know if this can be filtered before interview while filtering applications. In other words, to get me the interview!

4) AMGs VS IMGs. Is it true that programs can easily filter IMGs out? even if US-IMG? Isn't this considered a type of discrimination?

I believe the ERAS system keeps improving and would like to know if such filters exist/how do they work:

1) Year of graduation, is it from graduation to September? or March of the following year? Also, does internship year and ggovernmentalservice work count as medical education or considered as a gap?

2) Is it true that there is a filter for publications? If so, just for peer reviewed papers only? Chapters? or total publications?

3) aprogdirector once mentioned that "gender, race, birth date and place, and SSN" are all blocked and there is no filter for them? In other words, does that mean the program can not filter on my US citizenship status? I thought being a US citizen gives some advantage. I am aware that it might will after coming to interview and asked by programs what visa you want and I respond I am US citizen, but I want to know if this can be filtered before interview while filtering applications. In other words, to get me the interview!

4) AMGs VS IMGs. Is it true that programs can easily filter IMGs out? even if US-IMG? Isn't this considered a type of discrimination?

I answered in the other thread, not realizing you had also asked in the PC thread.

How much does a LOA affect interviews/ranking? I took one about 2 months into MS1 because I wanted to do research and take a break from the classroom for a bit. Thanks in advance!

I would be more concerned about why you felt the need to take a break from classes. Will you want to take a break when you're in residency for a few months?

Thank for your input, sir! I do not have any more red flags and will graduate on time at a top-20 with >240 Step. I just have a specific program or two I want to interview at (Brigham, Colorado, or UWashington for Anesthesia), and am worried I may not get a look at those programs bc they may be turned off by the LOA. If I did not want to go to one of those specific programs, I would not be worried about matching in general.
The follow up to this of course is "well, so what?". You took the LOA. Unless you have a time machine, you can't NOT take the LOA at this point. So you apply, briefly explain the LOA in your personal statement ("I wanted to take some time to do research on X"...assuming that's not a lie) and you see what happens.

All,

I am currently an MS1. I have an expunged misdemeanor (drug possession) from many years before starting medical school. By the time I apply for residency, this offense will be ~9 years old. I plan on disclosing this on ERAS although it is expunged just so there are no surprises post-match. How much of a red flag would this be for an applicant? I have not had any type of legal or disciplinary infraction since this offense and I have certainly grown and matured since the incident. Also, would it be perceived as dishonest if an applicant were to answer "no" to the misdemeanor question on ERAS even if an offense was indeed expunged? Thank you all for your time.

ERAS asks you for convictions, you can be arrested an not be convicted. Licensing boards ask for everything. I'm pretty sure there is a difference. Either way like the above said it all comes out with the licence.