Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not judged by how far down my list I go. Therefore, I rank people in the order I want them. You are correct that if I was judged on this, I might rank people differently. Whether other programs are evaluated like this, or if PD's take it personally, I don't know.

We do not get any info from the NRMP regarding how applicants ranked us.

Ooops. Sorry Frederica. This is your thread to answer!

No worries, I would have said the same thing about our process and how my PD is viewed, or rather not viewed, for how far down we go. Your input, as well as that of other PDs, on this thread is always welcome!

Our institution does send surveys to the applicants who we ranked high but did not match with; the aggregate results for all programs are shared to give us an idea of areas we can improve on. Although, there are factors we cannot change, such as location.

Members don't see this ad.

Freaking out a little here. At the end of second year I needed to take a short (<1 month) medical leave of absence before Step 1 because I had mono. Recovered fine, no long-term sequelae, no issues. Did fine third year, and I did not have to extend med school or take courses late since I just used that time as elective time in my third year instead of fourth year. My dean told me that because of this, I did not have to list it on ERAS as "interruption or extension of medical studies." But I just found out that my MSPE letter lists it as "medical LOA" and doesn't say anything else. Now I am viewing other threads and seeing that others in similar situations reported it. Nobody talks about what to do if you have already submitted - I already submitted yesterday before finding this out. I am extremely worried this will be viewed as a discrepancy in my application. What do I do? Will this be looked at unfavorably by residencies? Aghh...

It's OK. Relax. Breathe. This is really a minor difference in interpretation. If anyone asks (which I doubt they will), you can say that you thought it would only count as an interruption/extension if you weren't going to graduate on time.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't realize this thread was started last year and nearly had a heart attack when I read the first two sentences of the quote below (on Sept 17)!

Otherwise looks like a goldmine of a thread - thanks to everyone whose contributed!

Hi NYDO2014,
That is a tough question. I would say at this point 90% of programs have sent out invitations. But, that depends on the size of the program, how quickly they look at applications. All our applications were reviewed in October and invitations were sent out. That is probably because our PD likes to be on top of things from Day 1. He reviews every single application, which is over 900. Some programs aren't in such a hurry, though I would imagine they would have started the process.

In terms of geography and familiarity, I can state that has no affect on who we choose to interview. All our medical students who apply to our program are invited, we do give a little more weight towards applicants who received their bachelor's degree from our institution.

Something else that might help is if an attending at your institution emails the PD or another attending they know at the institution you are seeking an interview from. Last year, we interviewed an applicant who reached out to one of our residents as they went to college together. Use whatever connection you have to get an interview.

I hope this helped. Good luck with interviews.

Cheers,
Freddie

If you get an interview invite early on at a program that isn't at top of your list is it poor form to schedule the interview for a January date (obviously with plans to cancel if a lot of interviews you are more interested in come up)? Will it make the program think you are not that interested and lower their opinion of you or is it pretty common and nobody bats an eye?

If you get an interview invite early on at a program that isn't at top of your list is it poor form to schedule the interview for a January date (obviously with plans to cancel if a lot of interviews you are more interested in come up)? Will it make the program think you are not that interested and lower their opinion of you or is it pretty common and nobody bats an eye?
Nobody will care. But you might also consider doing it early, as a warm up.

I made some changes to my personal statement after being offered an interview, what are the chances that my program director has already printed my original statement? Do they do this closer to your interview date?

I'm pretty sure once you've assigned a PS to a program you've applied to you cannot un-assign it (or edit it).

Thanks for your replies! It's very interesting to see things from the perspective of PDs and PCs. Do you all get nervous come match day or are you so used to having gone through so many cycles that it's not really THAT big a deal? Do you all have match day parties as well and open the results together with all of your staff or with other departments?

Another question: I'm still finishing up with my major clerkships, and won't have the grades for some of my later clerkships (i.e. neuro, surgery) on the transcript that is submitted on ERAS. If I do end up receiving honors on these electives, would it mean anything to either 1) send an updated transcript via email to programs that haven't offered interviews yet or 2) bring an updated transcript to the interviews that I do receive regardless? So far my transcript just shows one honors and a couple of high passes.

Another question: I'm still finishing up with my major clerkships, and won't have the grades for some of my later clerkships (i.e. neuro, surgery) on the transcript that is submitted on ERAS. If I do end up receiving honors on these electives, would it mean anything to either 1) send an updated transcript via email to programs that haven't offered interviews yet or 2) bring an updated transcript to the interviews that I do receive regardless? So far my transcript just shows one honors and a couple of high passes.

The updated transcript would go through ERAS. An email to the PCs wouldn't be a bad idea because in the online system it isn't as easy to tell when replacement documents come in. Honestly, in my experience it's incredibly rare for a new transcript to matter in the review process unless the grade that's missing is for the specialty being applied to, and it doesn't matter at all after we've offered the interview.

Yes to feeling nervous as you are logging into NRMP on Tuesday of Match Week to find out if you filled or if you're participating in SOAP. More excited than nervous when you're logging in to see who your new interns will be.

No coordinator Match Day parties here. It's actually an incredibly busy day spent preparing the welcome packets that go out immediately. But it's not unheard of for a few of us to get together for a drink after work to toast the end of recruiting season and the start of appointment season.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Frederica, GutOnc and aProgDirector. This is a very helpful thread.

A program just sent me an email asking me to be more specific about what my plans were after residency.

While I mentioned my interest in a fellowship from the outset in my personal statement, the email said that even if I hadn't decided yet, I should let them know what particular fellowship I was leaning towards. I replied the email AND updated my personal statement.

I assume this PS change has been reflected across every program I applied to. However, I'm curious as to how personal statement changes show up on your end. Does the system track changes? Will there be multiple copies of my personal statement on file? Will it be a smooth transition where all you see is the most recent update?

I know it's a minor issue and I'm being silly but I can't help worrying over this.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I have the same Question about Personal statement. I got an email from a program asking about my plans after residency: fellowship vs Primary care vs Hospitalist. I am curious should I update my personal statement to reflect that.

Another thing, I have applied to both Primary care, community and university program for IM. Unfortunately without thinking I assigned all of them same Personal statement of IM. Any changes will help some but harm the prospects of other programs.

Thanks for your replies! It's very interesting to see things from the perspective of PDs and PCs. Do you all get nervous come match day or are you so used to having gone through so many cycles that it's not really THAT big a deal? Do you all have match day parties as well and open the results together with all of your staff or with other departments?

I manage 8 programs, plus the sub-Is, so there is always something on my plate that is urgent on match day. I wish we could have one.

As mcl noted, we don't get nervous but rather excited. I can understand applicants being nervous because your life is about to change. You may be staying, you may be going. I'm not going anywhere.

Hi Frederica, GutOnc and aProgDirector. This is a very helpful thread.

A program just sent me an email asking me to be more specific about what my plans were after residency.

While I mentioned my interest in a fellowship from the outset in my personal statement, the email said that even if I hadn't decided yet, I should let them know what particular fellowship I was leaning towards. I replied the email AND updated my personal statement.

I assume this PS change has been reflected across every program I applied to. However, I'm curious as to how personal statement changes show up on your end. Does the system track changes? Will there be multiple copies of my personal statement on file? Will it be a smooth transition where all you see is the most recent update?

I know it's a minor issue and I'm being silly but I can't help worrying over this.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

If you update your PS, we won't know about. We only see one PS, so you can update it a hundred times I won't know or be able to tell, unless I have read your PS closely, which I don't.

I tend to hold off downloading applications until a few weeks before interviews so that everything in the application is as up to date as possible. There is nothing more embarrassing than having a division chief or program director get an "old" application and the applicant state that such and such was updated and one of them acts surprised.

Reactions: 3 users
I have the same Question about Personal statement. I got an email from a program asking about my plans after residency: fellowship vs Primary care vs Hospitalist. I am curious should I update my personal statement to reflect that.

Another thing, I have applied to both Primary care, community and university program for IM. Unfortunately without thinking I assigned all of them same Personal statement of IM. Any changes will help some but harm the prospects of other programs.

This is a tough one for me, I defer to @aProgDirector, @gutonc, and @Winged Scapula.

Thank you for this valuable thread.

I have a question. I have applied to half of the programs I am interested in just because I am missing 2 LOR (they were uploaded but not released yet), and ECFMG certification (should be released by end of this month the latest). Is it wise to hold on the rest of applications, or just submit them all and hoping I won't get filtered out based on incomplete application. I am getting different advices from residents.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance :)

@Frederica omg! you just made my day. I was having some new ideas about my personal statement, I am relieved that I can keep editing things until its top notch :)

Some programs will assign you interviewers based on your interests--if you want to be a hospitalist, then they'll try to get one of your interviewers to be a hospitalist, for example. No need to necessarily update your personal statement. This is with me figuring they've offered you an interview. Otherwise, I don't know if this applies.

Reactions: 2 users
Some programs will assign you interviewers based on your interests--if you want to be a hospitalist, then they'll try to get one of your interviewers to be a hospitalist, for example. No need to necessarily update your personal statement. This is with me figuring they've offered you an interview. Otherwise, I don't know if this applies.
I started typing this same thing. If they've offered you an interview, they're trying to tailor your interviewers to your goals. If they haven't offered you an interview, they're probably looking for reasons to invite you (or not). Don't bother updating your PS.

no IV from them yet. I should tell them stop with the wandering part and send an IV already lol. hahahah

What is the protocol on updating programs that a new LoR has been uploaded? I have applied to programs that require at least three LoRs with only two LoR currently uploaded to ERAS. I am waiting on two more, with one of them coming on Sept. 28th. Should I email each program to let them know that my application now meets their LoR requirements, or are they notified automatically when a new letter of recommendation has been added to my file (i.e., no need for me to email each program to bug them about it)?

So some people actually find out Thursday of match week who matched. I think it's the Student Affairs people at the schools and the Program Directors. Schools are allowed to release results at noon if they have a match day ceremony, otherwise everyone can release results at 1pm. My program puts together a powerpoint of all the matched applicants and announces them at 1pm, after noon conference, on Match Day. There was definitely some anxiety amongst the leadership of our program until Monday of Match week, when we found out that we filled.

Hey guys 1 week after I submitted my personal statement I re-read it and noticed a minor grammar error. I added 2 periods at the end of one of my sentences. Is this considered lack of attention to detail? Will this hurt me?

Hey guys 1 week after I submitted my personal statement I re-read it and noticed a minor grammar error. I added 2 periods at the end of one of my sentences. Is this considered lack of attention to detail? Will this hurt me?

Probably not

Don't be silly. No one will care. Heck, no one will probably notice.

Reactions: 2 users
What is the protocol on updating programs that a new LoR has been uploaded? I have applied to programs that require at least three LoRs with only two LoR currently uploaded to ERAS. I am waiting on two more, with one of them coming on Sept. 28th. Should I email each program to let them know that my application now meets their LoR requirements, or are they notified automatically when a new letter of recommendation has been added to my file (i.e., no need for me to email each program to bug them about it)?

I also would like to know. Would appreciate some clarification regarding this.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Q's on this thread. It's been tremendously helpful.

I also would like to know. Would appreciate some clarification regarding this.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Q's on this thread. It's been tremendously helpful.

There is really no need to email programs. Either they are filtering applications so they'll only see it once the right number of letters are uploaded, or they aren't filtering and they have another mechanism for determining when applications are complete. Either way, it's automatic.

I'm applying to med/peds. I'll be going on 2-3 away rotations within either the medicine or peds department of the programs. Who from the med/peds department should I get in touch with to let them know I'll be rotating through? PD? PC? Chief?

Thanks!

I'm applying to med/peds. I'll be going on 2-3 away rotations within either the medicine or peds department of the programs. Who from the med/peds department should I get in touch with to let them know I'll be rotating through? PD? PC? Chief?

Thanks!

Most definitely the PD; and ask if you can meet with them while you are there.

How do your programs decide on offering batches of interviews? Is it like
Pre-dean's letters = first batch of invites to top 5% of candidates based on transcripts
Post-Dean's letter = second batch to reach 10:1 interview to open slot ratio
later on : third batch based on interview caancellations

How do your programs decide on offering batches of interviews? Is it like
Pre-dean's letters = first batch of invites to top 5% of candidates based on transcripts
Post-Dean's letter = second batch to reach 10:1 interview to open slot ratio
later on : third batch based on interview caancellations
Yes. Definitely. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Reactions: 3 users
... So care to elaborate on how your programs actually dole out batches of interview invites?

I believe what @gutonc is trying to convey is that every program does things differently. Some programs don't even look at applications until mid-October.

Just got step 2 CK score back and had 30+ point increase from step 1... Should I email all the programs I've applied to to inform them of the new score? I am just worried that they perhaps already passed over my application because of an unimpressive step 1 and won't look at it again.

Just got step 2 CK score back and had 30+ point increase from step 1... Should I email all the programs I've applied to to inform them of the new score? I am just worried that they perhaps already passed over my application because of an unimpressive step 1 and won't look at it again.
No. Just release it. Your app will be updated automatically. If you didn't meet a Step cutoff filter before and now you do, your app will be visible to them.

Thanks to all the contributors for such a helpful thread.

I just realized today that I hadn't actually assigned my USMLE transcript to any programs. I had assigned letters, certified and submitted my app, and applied to programs on the 15th, but didn't realize I also had to assign my USMLE transcript once it was authorized to be released. Will this reflect negatively upon my application? Will programs that have already seen my application be notified that I've updated it with my scores? I feel pretty dumb knowing that I submitted an app for residency without a step 1 score included.

What are interviewers looking for in the question "Tell me about yourself"?

Thanks to all the contributors for such a helpful thread.

I just realized today that I hadn't actually assigned my USMLE transcript to any programs. I had assigned letters, certified and submitted my app, and applied to programs on the 15th, but didn't realize I also had to assign my USMLE transcript once it was authorized to be released. Will this reflect negatively upon my application? Will programs that have already seen my application be notified that I've updated it with my scores? I feel pretty dumb knowing that I submitted an app for residency without a step 1 score included.

Nope. You could change any part of your application a million times, and we will not get one single notification.

However, I would not stress over this. As gutonc noted above, now that your Step 1 has been released, you might fall into a filter a program has in place and your application will now appear.

What are interviewers looking for in the question "Tell me about yourself"?

Do you think to highly of yourself, are you really humble or are just projecting it, are you someone whose personality will fit in with the other trainees in the program.

When you do talk about yourself, just be yourself. Don't try to be someone you aren't, that will be easily noted and you'll probably be ranked really if at all.

Do you think to highly of yourself, are you really humble or are just projecting it, are you someone whose personality will fit in with the other trainees in the program.

When you do talk about yourself, just be yourself. Don't try to be someone you aren't, that will be easily noted and you'll probably be ranked really if at all.

Thanks for the response. I guess my real question is should I focus more on my personal interests or professional?

Hey Program Coordinators! Thanks for answering our questions!

What do PCs typically read before deciding who to give interview offers to?
LoRs, MSPE, and PS seem to be a lot to review for each candidate, do you read it all? Do you guys ever read into the experiences section before sending out invites?

Thanks for this thread. The questions and answers are very useful. I have a question, I am an IMG and would prefer an H1 visa over a J1 visa. Is it appropriate to ask about visa sponsorship during the interview? While some programs state quite clearly the sort of visas they are willing to sponsor on their websites others state that H1 sponsorship will be considered on a case by case basis. Would it be considered rude to ask what type of visa sponsorship I will get and possibly negotiate during the interview? Should I reserve this question for post interview communications? I have passed all my steps and hence qualify for H1B sponsorship. Any insight will be useful.

Hey Program Coordinators! Thanks for answering our questions!

What do PCs typically read before deciding who to give interview offers to?
LoRs, MSPE, and PS seem to be a lot to review for each candidate, do you read it all? Do you guys ever read into the experiences section before sending out invites?

This is going to depend from program to program and field to field. There isn't a simple answer.

Thanks for this thread. The questions and answers are very useful. I have a question, I am an IMG and would prefer an H1 visa over a J1 visa. Is it appropriate to ask about visa sponsorship during the interview? While some programs state quite clearly the sort of visas they are willing to sponsor on their websites others state that H1 sponsorship will be considered on a case by case basis. Would it be considered rude to ask what type of visa sponsorship I will get and possibly negotiate during the interview? Should I reserve this question for post interview communications? I have passed all my steps and hence qualify for H1B sponsorship. Any insight will be useful.

It is a completely reasonable question to ask. I would tend to bring it up at the end of the day. It's unlikely that your interviewer will know anything about visas (unless you're being interviewed by the PD). It would also be reasonable to ask about it via email afterwards. There won't be much negotiation. They will tell you what visa they will consider for you.

It is a completely reasonable question to ask. I would tend to bring it up at the end of the day. It's unlikely that your interviewer will know anything about visas (unless you're being interviewed by the PD). It would also be reasonable to ask about it via email afterwards. There won't be much negotiation. They will tell you what visa they will consider for you.
Agree. This is a question for the PD or PC, not the resident giving you the tour at lunch or the ambulatory attending interviewing you.

I apologize if this question has been asked already. I'm probably being paranoid. But I received an interview invite Friday evening close to end of the business day. I sent an email to the address instructed with interview date choices within ten minutes of the ERAS notification of the interview invite. How long does it typically take for them to respond and confirm a date. I know that interview dates go quickly and it's at one of my top programs so I want to make sure I get an interview. Waiting is driving me insane and I'm hesitant to email again because I know they are busy and I don't want to put out a bad image.

Give it a week. Some programs respond right away, some wait a while. Call if you want to, who knows if the PC will get annoyed with you.

I apologize if this question has been asked already. I'm probably being paranoid. But I received an interview invite Friday evening close to end of the business day. I sent an email to the address instructed with interview date choices within ten minutes of the ERAS notification of the interview invite. How long does it typically take for them to respond and confirm a date. I know that interview dates go quickly and it's at one of my top programs so I want to make sure I get an interview. Waiting is driving me insane and I'm hesitant to email again because I know they are busy and I don't want to put out a bad image.

As someone who is juggling multiple things at one time, when I get a phone call regarding an interview date, I get annoyed - mostly because our message clearly indicates to email me. In a world in which we all are doing more than we did even 5 years ago, program coordinators may not always be able to be responsive. So, give a week or so, then send an email.

After you interview at a program, how much do your scores and grades matter to program directors? Is your interview impression valued more than scores and grades at that point?