Asking for a friend - what should he do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studentofdeen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is planning on taking his DAT in the summer. He is wondering if he should apply to this upcoming cycle. However he finishes his school this fall. He is taking 6 classes now and is unable to shadow. What should he do? Should he still apply this cycle or wait for the next one?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you all again.

Members don't see this ad.

He should apply this upcoming cycle. Most people are finishing up their last year of undergrad/masters/post bacc when they are applying

Reactions: 1 users
No better time in life than NOW

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
He is not going to be able to take his DAT until late summer. He doesn't have time to apply either. He is taking 6 classes now. You sure he should apply now?

He is not going to be able to take his DAT until late summer. He doesn't have time to apply either. He is taking 6 classes now. You sure he should apply now?
What do you mean he won’t have time to apply? And also, as long as he takes the DAT before the middle of August he should be fine, of course the earlier the better.

He will not have time to apply because he has not done his shadowing nor has he worked on the application process yet even though it hasn't started yet. I was truly worried and didn't want him to overwork himself but wait and try to apply next year. What do you guys think? Do you guys think he should truly apply next semester? If so then I will call him and tell him. Thank you all so much for your advice

• Haha
He will not have time to apply because he has not done his shadowing nor has he worked on the application process yet even though it hasn't started yet. I was truly worried and didn't want him to overwork himself but wait and try to apply next year. What do you guys think? Do you guys think he should truly apply next semester? If so then I will call him and tell him. Thank you all so much for your advice
Shadowing hours will be difficult to get for another couple of months, but not impossible. Just curious, why has he waited this long to start shadowing? I started the spring of my sophomore year and some interviewers thought that was actually a bit late, so his dedication to the career may be put into question. Just from that, you may be right and he may want to hold off for another year and get north of 100 hours, that would put to bay any questions the adcomms would have about whether he knows what he's getting himself into or not. Now as for the application process, it isn't too time consuming or hard to maneuver if he starts in May and spreads it out over a couple days/weeks, just make sure those apps are in within the first few days of submissions opening.

I'm not quite sure why he has waited long but he just told me brief about his situation, thats why I am here asking on his behalf. But you think he should still apply? I do not think he will be able to get the shadowing hours at all. He will have no hours and doesn't have much extracurricular activities.

I'm not quite sure why he has waited long but he just told me brief about his situation, thats why I am here asking on his behalf. But you think he should still apply? I do not think he will be able to get the shadowing hours at all. He will have no hours and doesn't have much extracurricular activities.
No ECs? He hasn’t been involved in anything all four years?

your "friend" should take responsibility for his/her situation and do their own research and spend the time to actually learn the necessary items for a solid application...

I had low shadowing hours before COVID hit. I emailed adcoms, and they told me that the quantity of hours doesn't matter, but the quality and the commitment. (Friend should check with each dental school to see if they changed shadowing requirements due to COVID.) In lieu of in-person shadowing I did CEs and virtual shadowing; I also reached out to dentists in my area to ask them questions about their career. Only 1 school asked about my low shadowing hours (and they accepted me). I also had a heavy course load my senior spring, so I started to study for the DAT lightly during my semester but very intensely right after my graduation (like 7-8 hrs per day) for about a month until late June. My application was complete with my committee letter by mid-August. I think your friend can totally apply this year.

The one thing that might be of concern is extracurriculars. Have there been any ECs your friend has been committed to in college?

No he has no EC. Im really just trying to help him out and give him advice. He doesn't have any one or much research. Hence me doing the research for him so I can advise him. In terms of him actually doing his part this semester. Honestly I do not think he is able to, so I may think he has to put off his application. I do not want him to apply only to be rejected because he wasn't prepared

If he has no ECs, volunteering, research, or club involvement, it would be wise to wait until next cycle then. Does he have professors in mind for his LORs, and a dentist?

No he has no EC. Im really just trying to help him out and give him advice. He doesn't have any one or much research. Hence me doing the research for him so I can advise him. In terms of him actually doing his part this semester. Honestly I do not think he is able to, so I may think he has to put off his application. I do not want him to apply only to be rejected because he wasn't prepared
Firstly, this person should just make an account on here and ask themselves. If he is not even able to investigate whether to even apply or not, I seriously doubt he is ready to apply.

That being said, I don't see any real reason not to apply right now. show up to random offices till one lets you shadow. Get some hours. Take the DAT by June. Apply in July. Start getting someone for rec letters about now. Again, he needs to take personal responsibility though.

I think it’s nice of you to help him out, but time management is gonna be a huge part of dental school, might as well start now. Especially since getting on here and asking questions himself wouldn’t take very long.

I think it’s nice of you to help him out, but time management is gonna be a huge part of dental school, might as well start now. Especially since getting on here and asking questions himself wouldn’t take very long.
agreed.

Taking personal responsibility is one of the keys to being successful in life and in dentistry.

One of my favorite books on this topic that I recommend to everyone, but esp pre-dents/DS is Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink.

If he has no ECs, volunteering, research, or club involvement, it would be wise to wait until next cycle then. Does he have professors in mind for his LORs, and a dentist?
No he doesn't either

Thank you all again deeply. I will let him know and speak to him about this