Asking For More Vet Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allieoop2714

MSU c/o 2018!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first time posting :) Thursday I'm starting my first vet shadowing experience (YAY!) for small animals. I began looking for places in March when I was home for spring break, and this was the only clinic to call me back after I dropped off my resume. Anyway, I would like to try and shadow at this clinic once or twice a week because I am going into my junior year and haven't started getting any hours. I have a feeling the woman I spoke with thinks I want to come in for only that day. What would be the best way to ask if I could come in once or twice a week without sounding.. annoying?

Also, I'm going to be looking for other vets willing to let me shadow since I'm home for summer break. What would be the best wording to let them know that I want to shadow for the entire summer and possibly even when I'm home for breaks?

Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. This is my first time posting :) Thursday I'm starting my first vet shadowing experience (YAY!) for small animals. I began looking for places in March when I was home for spring break, and this was the only clinic to call me back after I dropped off my resume. Anyway, I would like to try and shadow at this clinic once or twice a week because I am going into my junior year and haven't started getting any hours. I have a feeling the woman I spoke with thinks I want to come in for only that day. What would be the best way to ask if I could come in once or twice a week without sounding.. annoying?

Also, I'm going to be looking for other vets willing to let me shadow since I'm home for summer break. What would be the best wording to let them know that I want to shadow for the entire summer and possibly even when I'm home for breaks?

Thanks so much :)

Maybe at the end of the day just be like "I really enjoyed shadowing you Dr. So and So and was wondering if it would be okay if I continue coming in to observe a couple times a week." And then maybe bring up something like wanting to learn more about what veterinary medicine is like day by day, etc.

I know that once I shadowed for one day at two different practices (one small animal GP and the other a referral hospital) they were more than willing to let me come back. I haven't had the chance to go back to the referral hospital due to my work schedule and that it's an hour away, but I wouldn't mind trying to go back again a few times over the summer even though I've already been accepted to school for this fall.

I had the same impression when I started my first shadowing. I told them I needed 400 small animal hours and asked if they thought it would be reasonable to get all of it there or if they had recommendations. They said, oh that's no big deal, everybody does a different amount; come in when ever you can.

So just talk to them :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway, I would like to try and shadow at this clinic once or twice a week because I am going into my junior year and haven't started getting any hours. I have a feeling the woman I spoke with thinks I want to come in for only that day. What would be the best way to ask if I could come in once or twice a week without sounding.. annoying?

Thinking ahead is good, but don't jump too far ahead. First thing you need to do is shadow a day there and see if it's an environment you can stand to be in.

If so, and you like the day, just ask the vet if you can come back again. No need to jump from one visit to "can I haunt your clinic regularly?" :) Give them a bit of time to get to know you....

Keep doing that and eventually you'll just be that clinic rat that doesn't really work there but helps out around all the edges because you've been there longer than half the techs anyway, and you'll get a great LOR out of the deal because some vet has heard your great questions and seen your demonstrated interest and .. you get the idea.

This has less to do with how you ask the question and more to do with getting a good response. I know I don't have to tell you, but make sure you make a good impression, you might just be shadowing but try and make yourself a useful contribution to their day, for instance clean out a cage, do some laundry, empty trash, wipe down an exam table, etc.

These little things will show them that you are a capable indiviual able to understand the minute to minute needs of the clinic, besides everyone appreciates when you help with a little housekeeping. It might not seem like they notice but believe me if you actively participate while you are there they will take note and it will set you apart from others.

I work at a clinic that is a day practice and emergency practice and we've had a few high school kids come shadow during the summer. The ones who were the most successful were the ones that made themselves valuable and I know of at least one who was even offered a job :D.

Good luck! :luck: