Asleep plane blocks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B-Bone

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there doing plane blocks (like TAP or rectus sheath, etc) blocks on asleep patients where there is no discreet nerve to inject into? I've always done all nerve blocks awake/sedated, but never under GA. Had heard of some people doing plane blocks under GA as the risk of intraneural injection, and I suppose intravascular injection, is so much smaller in these locations. Just wanted to get a sense of who's doing what out in the wider world.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody out there doing plane blocks (like TAP or rectus sheath, etc) blocks on asleep patients where there is no discreet nerve to inject into? I've always done all nerve blocks awake/sedated, but never under GA. Had heard of some people doing plane blocks under GA as the risk of intraneural injection, and I suppose intravascular injection, is so much smaller in these locations. Just wanted to get a sense of who's doing what out in the wider world.

Perfectly safe to do "asleep" sensory nerve blocks like TAP, Rectus Sheath, Adductor Canal, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do tap blocks and fascia iliaca blocks asleep. Usually do adductor canal awake but perfectly willing to do them asleep.

I do tap blocks and fascia iliaca blocks asleep. Usually do adductor canal awake but perfectly willing to do them asleep.
Ditto

Where I did my residency, we did the TAPs (with the patient) asleep.

Usually asleep for plane blocks.

And yes there is a professional plaintifs witness out there that will say that we are breaching the standard of care in his opinion.