Assistance Required.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmishExpressWay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I have taken AAMC 3 and AAMC 4 and I am not doing as well as I have hoped on the BS and VR section.

AAMC 3 - 32 - 12/9/11
AAMC 4 - 35 - 14/10/11

My problem are as follows:
1) I run out of time on the verbal section and need a good method of keeping track of time during the exam without doing time-remaining maths.

2) I need a way to reduce panic and thoughts detrimental to my performance (panic, etc.).

3) BS content, but I can figure that out lol.

If anyone can give me some pointers for the first two, I'd be grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, SDN! Could you please summarize in one reply everything I need to do to get a 12-14 in the VR and BS sections? Thanks!

In all seriousness, I would assume your nerves and fatigue are major key in your performance. I assume you plan to take more AAMC exams, and you took AAMC 3 & 4 prior to the other exams and in the exact order you posted.

Fatigue: You performed more than well on the PS section, and your performance dwindled in the later sections.

Nerves: Your averaging a 33.5 on your first 2 AAMC full lengths, and your freaking out?

My response was as nice as it could be...

Hey, SDN! Could you please summarize in one reply everything I need to do to get a 12-14 in the VR and BS sections? Thanks!

In all seriousness, I would assume your nerves and fatigue are major key in your performance. I assume you plan to take more AAMC exams, and you took AAMC 3 & 4 prior to the other exams and in the exact order you posted.

Fatigue: You performed more than well on the PS section, and your performance dwindled in the later sections.

Nerves: Your averaging a 33.5 on your first 2 AAMC full lengths, and your freaking out?

My response was as nice as it could be...

Not freaking out, but it would be a lie if I said that anything below a 40 is acceptable for me ;).

Back to the topic, do you have any tips on a very simple and efficient way time to time verbal?

Back to the topic, do you have any tips on a very simple and efficient way time to time verbal?

SN2's method says to take 2-3 verbal passages every day allotting 7 minutes per passage. I noticed that when I started to do this after a week or so I was already sticking to about 7-8 minutes per passage. Doing so will slowly train yourself to allow 7 minutes per passage. That would then give you ~10 minutes to go back through all of the passages or to spend more time on the harder passages.

And as for the 40+ if you know your potential - Go for it! Don't be ashamed of your goal because there is nothing wrong is aiming high.

Members don't see this ad :)
SN2's method says to take 2-3 verbal passages every day allotting 7 minutes per passage. I noticed that when I started to do this after a week or so I was already sticking to about 7-8 minutes per passage. Doing so will slowly train yourself to allow 7 minutes per passage. That would then give you ~10 minutes to go back through all of the passages or to spend more time on the harder passages.

And as for the 40+ if you know your potential - Go for it! Don't be ashamed of your goal because there is nothing wrong is aiming high.

Thanks for the tip. But I noticed that with verbal, even a minute less per passage has dire consequences, ostensibly in the way of careless mistakes. But I guess that is the nature of the beast and that only more practice will make ends meet. The grind continues...

My other question deals with panic, negative thoughts, and anxiety which result in precious mental power and time being wasted during the test. I frequently find myself distracted from the AAMC practice test in order to silence the doubts and statements of concern in my head. The problem becomes more prevalent as my mental integrity is gradually worn down by the constant barrage of questions.

Would anyone have any tips on any practices or which mental state to evoke in order to combat this particular problem?

Just take 10 seconds to clear your head. When you read verbal, try to really read it this will steer you away from the other distractions in your head. Perhaps, you are just bored because taking FLs take like 3-4 hrs. Chewing gum may help reduce the boredom.

Other ways to get rid of negative thoughts include prayer, meditation, acknowledging when you have a negative thought and counter it, don't "entertain" negative thoughts as they can spiral out of control, think of your favorite song, or remind yourself of an inspirational quote.

Just like it takes consistent exercise to strengthen a muscle or consistent studying to be prepared for exams, overcoming negative thoughts takes a lot of effort because the path of least resistance for thoughts often isn't the greatest.

Hope that helps!

The more practice you have, the more confident you will feel. Take all AAMC full-length tests and you could also get additional practice tests from EK or other publishers. When it comes to the MCAT, the saying "practice makes perfect" is true. Your scores are good so be confident.