at a complete crossroads..help please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epicpt89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is quite of a long read, but I was wondering if anyone here can help me out in this situation?

So I graduated with a degree in Health and Wellness in 2011 from a state college. My gpa was not the greatest at all (around a 2.5), then I just figured I would go to school and just get a degree ( worst idea ever) and everything would work itself out. Well I got in a bunch of trouble and my world turned upside down the next few years, which caused me to re route my life plans and go for PT. Thing about that though, is that I have some credit card bills to pay for, a high car insurance and some other bills to pay for since I live on my own, well with a couple of roommates. I have been working two jobs to support all of this, as well as going back to school. I have been doing ok so far, but not the greatest since I simply do not have time to study like I wish I did.

A part of this is due to me taking a huge workload (full time school and full time jobs), because I really want this process to be over as soon as possible. The crossroads lies in that I was thinking about doing PTA, which would ease up my current situation and at least have me at a decent amount of money in the present, but I would be capped out for any future endeavors. I could also keep doing the PT route and just take less classes per semester which would take longer since I do have to bring up my GPA a tons just to be competitive and even that is not a guarantee. I really really want to be a PT though. It is just that being a PT aide and a waiter on the side is really not cutting it anymore.

I know this is a super long read, but can anyone offer some advice? I am really stuck as to what I want to do next. Keep going with PT or do PTA?

Members don't see this ad.

So this is quite of a long read, but I was wondering if anyone here can help me out in this situation?

So I graduated with a degree in Health and Wellness in 2011 from a state college. My gpa was not the greatest at all (around a 2.5), then I just figured I would go to school and just get a degree ( worst idea ever) and everything would work itself out. Well I got in a bunch of trouble and my world turned upside down the next few years, which caused me to re route my life plans and go for PT. Thing about that though, is that I have some credit card bills to pay for, a high car insurance and some other bills to pay for since I live on my own, well with a couple of roommates. I have been working two jobs to support all of this, as well as going back to school. I have been doing ok so far, but not the greatest since I simply do not have time to study like I wish I did.

A part of this is due to me taking a huge workload (full time school and full time jobs), because I really want this process to be over as soon as possible. The crossroads lies in that I was thinking about doing PTA, which would ease up my current situation and at least have me at a decent amount of money in the present, but I would be capped out for any future endeavors. I could also keep doing the PT route and just take less classes per semester which would take longer since I do have to bring up my GPA a tons just to be competitive and even that is not a guarantee. I really really want to be a PT though. It is just that being a PT aide and a waiter on the side is really not cutting it anymore.

I know this is a super long read, but can anyone offer some advice? I am really stuck as to what I want to do next. Keep going with PT or do PTA?

Try to do some online classes if they are regionally accredited, try getting a salaried full time position and take night classes. If you go PTA you will save time and money, but will you feel as if you sold yourself short ?

I was in your situation when I graduated undergrad in 2011 (C's get degrees philosophy), I then did a post bac, and took out loans for my masters degree and shot up my GPA, but now I have over 200 credits so it won't be easy to move from where it is now.

Since I did this, I have had an interview at a top 10 school and landed a job in new drug development clinical trials, luckily for me I'll be in a pretty good situation if I don't get in this cycle, but I am way more passionate about PT then FDA regulations.

My advice is to do what you feel will make you happy and apply to schools that offer grade forgiveness if you decide to pursue PT over PTA.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I think this is a choice you have to make yourself, if you ultimately want a DPT then I say go for that and don't worry about the PTA. If you think you'd be happy as a PTA as your career than do that but just know that being a PTA dosnt really help your application for DPT, plus if you wanted to get a DPT down the road its more schooling so more debt.

In the end so what if it takes you longer to get the DPT if thats what you really want.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really feel that PT is what you truly want to do... despite your financial situation. Then I would advise to continue on your path into becoming a PT. Yeah, the struggle will be difficult but in the end it will be all worth it IF PT is what your passionate about.

It is possible for anyone to get to PT school, it just depends on you, your passion and drive, and the way you manage your time and finances. Like you, my undergrad GPA was the worst (2.72) but I took the next 4 years after undergrad to raise my GPA and take the required pre-requisites so I can start applying to PT school. Currently I work full-time; go to school at night; volunteer at a hospital on weekends; train in MMA; and have bills to pay just like you. I was able to handle major workloads and balance my life around so I can do all the things I want to. Although it took some time to prepare me to get to this point in my life, I knew I wanted to become a PT and understood what would lie ahead. I accepted it and moved forward knowing that no matter what, PT is my passion and obstacles can be conquered. So now, I'm in 2014's application cycle waiting for school's to reply back to me and ready to start PT school (hopefully in 2015). In my opinion, don't let time or other obstacles that can be controlled deter you from a profession you truly want.

Welp, that's my 2 cents.... Good Luck to you though. :D

Reactions: 1 user
If you really feel that PT is what you truly want to do... despite your financial situation. Then I would advise to continue on your path into becoming a PT. Yeah, the struggle will be difficult but in the end it will be all worth it IF PT is what your passionate about.

It is possible for anyone to get to PT school, it just depends on you, your passion and drive, and the way you manage your time and finances. Like you, my undergrad GPA was the worst (2.72) but I took the next 4 years after undergrad to raise my GPA and take the required pre-requisites so I can start applying to PT school. Currently I work full-time; go to school at night; volunteer at a hospital on weekends; train in MMA; and have bills to pay just like you. I was able to handle major workloads and balance my life around so I can do all the things I want to. Although it took some time to prepare me to get to this point in my life, I knew I wanted to become a PT and understood what would lie ahead. I accepted it and moved forward knowing that no matter what, PT is my passion and obstacles can be conquered. So now, I'm in 2014's application cycle waiting for school's to reply back to me and ready to start PT school (hopefully in 2015). In my opinion, don't let time or other obstacles that can be controlled deter you from a profession you truly want.

Welp, that's my 2 cents.... Good Luck to you though. :D
see thats my thing, you think 4 more years of undergrad would be worth it in the long run? also, if I were to do a masters program what program would I even go into?

see thats my thing, you think 4 more years of undergrad would be worth it in the long run? also, if I were to do a masters program what program would I even go into?

And that, my friend, is solely upon you to decide. I knew that I couldn't handle it financially going to school full-time after getting my bachelors. So I got a full-time job and took night classes, I only took the pre-requisite classes and a few retakes. I was able to be financially stable while preparing for the application cycle. If you can, I'd suggest retaking any classes you got C's in and transforming them into A's; take any pre-requisites you need, and continue to take classes to raise your GPA. You don't necessarily need to get a Master's to boost your GPA but if you can financially handle it, it can help boost you. However, in my opinion, it really isn't necessary.

Additionally, you'll have to find time to get observation hours and prep for the GRE's. Those are very important on your application. I know it sounds like a handful but things that are worth it are never easy, my friend.

And that, my friend, is solely upon you to decide. I knew that I couldn't handle it financially going to school full-time after getting my bachelors. So I got a full-time job and took night classes, I only took the pre-requisite classes and a few retakes. I was able to be financially stable while preparing for the application cycle. If you can, I'd suggest retaking any classes you got C's in and transforming them into A's; take any pre-requisites you need, and continue to take classes to raise your GPA. You don't necessarily need to get a Master's to boost your GPA but if you can financially handle it, it can help boost you. However, in my opinion, it really isn't necessary.

Additionally, you'll have to find time to get observation hours and prep for the GRE's. Those are very important on your application. I know it sounds like a handful but things that are worth it are never easy, my friend.
can i get into a masters program even with a horrible gpa like mine though? i do not care about debt at this point. I would do anything just to live out my dream as a PT

PTA is def an option.

If you truly want to pursue PT, just know that your odds are lower than average. If I was in your shoes, I would concentrate on one thing at a time, beginning with reducing your debt. After that is handled, then go back to school and ace the prereq courses and retake some prn. That way you can concentrate more on academics.

PTA is def an option.

If you truly want to pursue PT, just know that your odds are lower than average. If I was in your shoes, I would concentrate on one thing at a time, beginning with reducing your debt. After that is handled, then go back to school and ace the prereq courses and retake some prn. That way you can concentrate more on academics.

+1 to this. Keep looking for a decent job and get yourself out of some of the holes you are in before you dig yourself into new ones.

Is it completely out of the question for you to find a decent salaried $40k job with the degree you have? You have a weak degree with a weak GPA, but you're still a college grad....honest question...I really don't know

thats the thing I really do not know. I guess it would be a good idea to start looking around and getting some cash first

How hard have you actually looked for a job that pays better, even a salaried job? You may very well have to submit several hundred applications and have several interviews before landing one, but that is just how the job hunt goes these days. Have you applied to any jobs for which a bachelor's is required? Have you seen any jobs out there for which your degree specifically is relevant and/or required?

Dedicating 4 years of your time and who knows how many thousands of dollars of your money to get a bachelor's degree just to be working jobs that require no education sucks, as you are acutely aware. Just because thousands of bachelor's degree holders around the country are working lame jobs doesn't mean you have to be one of them. It's just a matter of how much dedication you are willing to put into the search.

Going back to school and pursuing a better, more permanent career is always and option, but consider the big picture of you finances and your future as well. PT school will be a long road with the GPA you are starting with. If you can get your finances under control so that you have more time available for educational and/or vocational pursuits, that would help immensely.

:woot: So there, you got an SDN pep talk. Take my opinion for what it's worth, these are ultimately your decisions to make and they are big ones.

Also, a comment on your financial situation if I may. I don't know how bad your debt is, but in my opinion, getting completely out of credit card debt and staying that way would be the best (and should be the first) thing you could do to get yourself to a better place in life. Obviously waiting to go back to school until that is dealt with will potentially delay your entry into the PT profession by several years (depending of how bad your debt is). But credit card debt is a scourge on your life that will never get better with a passive approach. It will continue to weigh you down in life until you make it your active goal to have it gone.

Thank you Knj27 for all your advice.

So my financial situation is not really that bad. I will be out of debt after this year (well every debt other than college). My main concern was litearally the PT route. I do not mind the time and the extra money for loans since I already came to the conclusion I will be doing this for a long time coming anyway.

Well that's good to hear. Now the trick is to not get yourself back into credit card debt again! Unless you love ending up paying $2000 for something that actually cost $1000. Haha, lesson learned I imagine.

I think it will be difficult to do well in going back to school to take pre-PT classes if you don't have a little more stable job situation. Working full time and then some, at two different jobs, unfortunately is not conducive to getting A's.

+1 to this. Keep looking for a decent job and get yourself out of some of the holes you are in before you dig yourself into new ones.

Is it completely out of the question for you to find a decent salaried $40k job with the degree you have? You have a weak degree with a weak GPA, but you're still a college grad....honest question...I really don't know

I used to work as an insurance adjuster. It required a bachelors, but not in any particular field, and paid very well with a great schedule. It was not exciting work, but I was able to get my finances in order quite quickly, and was able to take some night classes at the end before I left to pursue PT.

It required a bachelors, but not in any particular field

This is definitely becoming more and more common. Even in jobs where on the job training is all you actually need. For example, I know a receptionist at a school who got hired with a bachelor's in psychology. The school just figured, if there are people with college education out there willing to do this job, why would we hire someone without it?

The bachelor's degree is definitely losing its value more and more as time goes on, though there are a few fields that are notable exceptions. It may not be losing its value in terms of ability to get any job, but it definitely is in terms of ability to get a good job in your field of study. But that's a whole different kettle of fish to open up in a different thread on another day. :cool: