Attitudes affect behavior; and behavior affecting attitudes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RH8448

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have watched some videos on this. It just doesn't seem to be very concrete to me. Attitudes changing is present in multiple topics on the AAMC book.

"Factors that affect attitude change (e.g. (which means not limited to) changing behavior, characteristics of the message and target, social factors)" Category under "Theories of Attitude and Behavior Change"

"Processes by which behavior influences attitudes (e.g. foot in door phen, role playing)
"Processes by which attitudes influence behavior" Category under "Attitudes"

In my study materials the concepts do not seem to be very concrete. Does anyone have a proper way to make sense of this? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Attitudes affecting behavior: elaboration likelihood model, cognitive dissonance theory?, self serving bias?

Behaviors affecting attitude: social cognitive theory, foot in door phen, role playing (becoming a Mom or Dad)?, that not all technique, low ball, door in face

The reason why it needs to be more concrete is because many theories can fit into these concepts even if they are not intended to

For this topic, I am thinking of it as factors/theories associated with attitude formation (can tie this in the various learning theories - social cognitive theory, role modelling, classical conditioning, operant conditioning etc) and factors/theories related to attitude change (elaboration likelihood model, all of the various persuasion tactics, cognitive dissonance theory). Attitude has the 3 components - cognitive/thinking, feelings/emotions, and behavioural/actions. So I visualize it as a triangle with those three factors and how they are all interconnected. You can also tie in all the personality and identity development theories with the concept of attitude.