Attracting better patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrustratedFamDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know who they are. The show up on time, don't call the front office 20 times in a day for a medication refill, and are pleasant and grateful for the brief time that they demand from you every 3-4 months. Their BP and glucose actually responds to treatment because they're actually taking their medicine. They're actually receptive to "lifestyle modification." If they're having pain/anxiety or depression issues, they're not running you down for narcotics or benzos.

I've been out in private practice for 4 years now and fortunately, seem to be attracting more and more of these patients. I turn no one away and really give everyone a fair shake of my time. I will continue to see all comers but what have some of y'all done to attract these gems to your practices?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patients will come to expect what is expected of them.
Without policies and patient instructions defined in a way they would understand, they won't bother

In most cases, we develop the kind of practice that we create for ourselves.

Word of mouth is the primary way you'll attract patients, whether good or bad. So, if the "good" patients tell their friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers how great you are, you'll attract more "good" patients. Likewise, if you're a "doctor feel-good," you can expect to attract a lot more of the demanding, drug-seeking types.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a game of attrition; good ones come at a less frequent rate than the bad ones, but you weed out the bad ones and hold on to the good. As your practice matures, your mix improves.

Reactions: 2 users
I will say that probably 75% of my good patients are coming from word of mouth.

It's funny how the seekers pounce when they see fresh blood in the water. When word gets out that you're not a candy man, the frequency of those new patient visits goes way down.

How many of y'all still see Medicaid?

Reactions: 1 user
It's funny how the seekers pounce when they see fresh blood in the water. When word gets out that you're not a candy man, the frequency of those new patient visits goes way down.

That's exactly how it works.

How many of y'all still see Medicaid?

I haven't taken Medicaid since residency. I prefer my charity work to be voluntary.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a small town in GA. We're a top 5 county in the state as far as obesity and tobacco usage goes. The MO around town for a long time was not feeling good? Here's some Alprazolam and Lortab. See you in 4 months, let me know if you need something stronger.Unfortunately, many patients still expect the same treatment.

Good psychiatry is few and far between and most family docs in town still aren't comfortable with writing mood stabilizers. The psych hospital that was here closed a few years ago and the patients were ushered out on to the streets. It's at least 40% of my day. It's not an easy environment but I'm no stranger to doing things the hard way.