Aug 18th CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is something called a immature ego defense, “intellectualization”, I’m sure we’ve all learn that :roflcopter:.

But on a serious note people at my school have been getting into programs with a 65s just fine. It is definitely not a 75-80. Sdn is a small sample size, go look at the medical usmle forums and you would think the usmle average is a 245 at minimum.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
There is something called a immature ego defense, “intellectualization”, I’m sure we’ve all learn that :roflcopter:.

But on a serious note people at my school have been getting into programs with a 65s just fine. It is definitely not a 75-80. Sdn is a small sample size, go look at the medical usmle forums and you would think the usmle average is a 245 at minimum.

It also depends on the university you’re from as well. Programs aren’t dumb, they know that someone who comes from a place with a medical school-based curriculum will/should score much higher than someone who went to a normal school.

Reactions: 1 user
It also depends on the university you’re from as well. Programs aren’t dumb, they know that someone who comes from a place with a medical school-based curriculum will/should score much higher than someone who went to a normal school.

They should know a lot of those schools have been cutting back on the medical curriculum. Columbia is one and a half now and getting smaller with each coming year.
For example for stony brook physio is taught at the dental school. We only cover micro immuno biochem oncology hematology with the medical school. And that’s not even 40% of what we need.
Isn’t Harvard one and a half now too?

Members don't see this ad :)
They should know a lot of those schools have been cutting back on the medical curriculum. Columbia is one and a half now and getting smaller with each coming year.
For example for stony brook physio is taught at the dental school. We only cover micro immuno biochem oncology hematology with the medical school. And that’s not even 40% of what we need.
Isn’t Harvard one and a half now too?

No idea, but I’m sure they know. Colombia is tough regardless because they have roughly 17,346 dental students a year trying to get into OMFS or Ortho from there. Everybody I know from Colombia was shooting for 80+ while my dumb ass was trying to just break 70 lol

No idea, but I’m sure they know. Colombia is tough regardless because they have roughly 17,346 dental students a year trying to get into OMFS or Ortho from there. Everybody I know from Colombia was shooting for 80+ while my dumb ass was trying to just break 70 lol

I think at that point it’s an ego thing haha. Like the med students mean is a 82 on their usmle. So guessing they want to prove they are as smart as their physician counterparts.

Don't torture yourself with questions like that. It's a scaled exam with many "test questions" that will not even count towards your score. The scale changes from test to test.

Wait, I thought those experimental questions were only on the actual Step 1. You're saying that some of the 200 questions on the CBSE don't count and are experimental?

Is it tomorrow or Friday y'all think they will release the results?

Members don't see this ad :)
78, boooooo yahhhh one shot one kill!!

Reactions: 10 users
does anyone know the average and standard deviation? didnt see it in the score report

That comes out next week I think?

80+

I retook this exam after scoring 70+ in February. I thought I could do better.

The first time I took the exam I studied for 5 months. I used UFAP but I did not leave time to review anything since I finished Uworld the day before. So I wasn’t feeling great about certain topics.

Take 2: UFAP but I read First Aid less (2-3x total). I listened to Pathoma audios, didn’t touch the book. I listened to Boards and Beyond in topics I was weak on. I listened to Sketchy Micro and Pharm. I used USMLE Rx for certain subjects.

Basically, I read First Aid once again during my 2nd take and jumped into Uworld. To get through Uworld effectively you need at least 2 months so you can finish the bank and read/learn from all the explanations. Throughout that time I listened to Pathoma, BB, Sketchy, etc. I went through half my incorrects on Uworld a week before the exam also and studied from a handout I made on all the topics from Uworld and Rx that I didn’t know 100%. I also took both UW self assessments and 3 NBME exams. You need to review those thoroughly. You can’t just fly through 500 questions in 1 day and think that will do anything. It won’t. You won’t be able to do more than 2-3 40Q blocks of Uworld per day plus review all those questions.

Super glad to be done. Hope my study plan helps people who are taking it in the future. Best of luck. Message me for any other questions.

Reactions: 9 users
80+

The first time I took the exam I studied for 5 months. I used UFAP but I did not leave time to review anything since I finished Uworld the day before. So I wasn’t feeling great about certain topics.

Take 2: UFAP but I read First Aid less (2-3x total). I listened to Pathoma audios, didn’t touch the book. I listened to Boards and Beyond in topics I was weak on. I listened to Sketchy Micro and Pharm. I used USMLE Rx for certain subjects.

Basically, I read First Aid once again during my 2nd take and jumped into Uworld. To get through Uworld effectively you need at least 2 months so you can finish the bank and read/learn from all the explanations. Throughout that time I listened to Pathoma, BB, Sketchy, etc. I went through half my incorrects on Uworld a week before the exam also and studied from a handout I made on all the topics from Uworld and Rx that I didn’t know 100%. I also took both UW self assessments and 3 NBME exams. You need to review those thoroughly. You can’t just fly through 500 questions in 1 day and think that will do anything. It won’t. You won’t be able to do more than 2-3 40Q blocks of Uworld per day plus review all those questions.

Super glad to be done. Hope my study plan helps people who are taking it in the future. Best of luck. Message me for any other questions.
Congrats bro! I knew you were gonna make it.

Reactions: 2 users
80+

How in the actual @$%???? You must be god.

80+

Your score is impressive, but your time management skills are even crazier. How the hell did you manage to balance all that + dental school + social life twice?

how did you check your score? I didn't get an email for it.

Your score is impressive, but your time management skills are even crazier. How the hell did you manage to balance all that + dental school + social life twice?
No life tbh. During D2 I didn’t go out with my class at all. School, research and CBSE took up all of my time but glad I have D3/D4 to chill and focus on clinic and other stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
79 first shot. Hoping that's good enough, but kind of frustrated that it's not an 80. My school is pass/fail, is this good enough without a GPA? I'm mainly interested in 6 year programs.

**** got a 69, but would rather take a 69 over 70 all day haha. Decided on OS kinda late, am currently a D4 have no choice but to apply this cycle smh. Y’all think this a decent score for 4 yr programs?

Reactions: 3 users
**** got a 69, but would rather take a 69 over 70 all day haha. Decided on OS kinda late, am currently a D4 have no choice but to apply this cycle smh. Y’all think this a decent score for 4 yr programs?
I mean 69 is pretty dope.

Is it an e-mail? I didn’t receive anything !

check your junk mails and stuff. They emailed us a link to it.

Score: 90+

Studied for about 3 months - read first aid and pathoma a couple times each, listened to sketchy micro, completed uworld once and did a couple NBMEs.

This was my second time taking it. I didn’t study much for the first one, just wanted to get a feel for the exam.

This is a challenging exam to study for. It is just a lot of material to digest. You have to figure out what works best for you, and one size doesn’t fit all. Best of luck to future test takers.

That's unreal!!! Good for you man!

79 first shot. Hoping that's good enough, but kind of frustrated that it's not an 80. My school is pass/fail, is this good enough without a GPA? I'm mainly interested in 6 year programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Youre good! You’re applying this cycle?

Got a 69 and am currently in the top 25.4 percentile of my class (literally bull**** I know). I can take the test two more times as I just began D3. What do you guys think is the move?

Same, got a 69, go to a ranked school, not sure how good this score is considered. I am definitely taking it again because I just did not have enough time to prepare for it the first time.
What are people's thoughts on a 69?

Same, got a 69, go to a ranked school, not sure how good this score is considered. I am definitely taking it again because I just did not have enough time to prepare for it the first time.
What are people's thoughts on a 69?
With a solid rank you’ll get a good chunk of interviews tbh so I don’t think you need to retake, especially if you are gonna apply to 4 year programs

Good luck to you folks retaking, you have some resilience! This was my first rodeo and I’m burnt to a crisp. Dont wanna go through all of it again.

For the people reading this thread, not posting, and internally about to combust. Just remember. This is the internet. You have no idea if ANYONE on this site is telling the truth about their score report. Not saying everyone is lying, but some people just post ridiculous scores to troll.

Keep in mind that over half of the people that apply to OMFS match. That data is public. Statistically, that means a TON of people are matching with scores in the 60s. If you get hit 70s, that's even better and just helps your chances. NO schools are going to require 80s minus maybe Harvard/Columbia/Mayo, etc.

Congrats to everyone who poured their heart into this test. For those who didn't hit their target score, keep at it. This test is nothing but hard work, but the score will come if you want it bad enough.

Reactions: 4 users
Keep in mind that over half of the people that apply to OMFS match. That data is public. Statistically, that means a TON of people are matching with scores in the 60s. If you get hit 70s, that's even better and just helps your chances. NO schools are going to require 80s minus maybe Harvard/Columbia/Mayo, etc.

Congrats to everyone who poured their heart into this test. For those who didn't hit their target score, keep at it. This test is nothing but hard work, but the score will come if you want it bad enough.

How do you know that a ton of people are matching with scores in the 60s? We know that the average score of each CBSE exam is around 55, give or take a few points, but many people take it multiple times, making that average meaningless. No one truly knows the distribution of scores that people apply to OMFS residency with (and match with).

https://natmatch.com/dentres/stats/2018progstats.pdf

Dental Match | Statistics of the Match

Check those out. 223/382 matched for OMS. That's a 58% match rate which is even higher than ortho.

Next think of about the standard deviation of scores. The mean is usually around 55 and the SD is usually around 12ish. So a 67 would put you one standard deviation above the mean, putting you in the top 16%. And if the the match is 58%, which it IS, then you would have very good shot at matching.

The average is not meaningless. Sure a lot of people take it just to feel out the exam and haven't really studied, but that's at least partially balanced by the people who are NOW taking it as their most serious attempt. Statistically it is IMPOSSIBLE to fill the 223 available positions with people who scored 70+.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not claiming to know the exact scores of people who matched. However, I was a stats major in college and I'm telling from that perspective, that MANY people are matching with scores in the (mid-high) 60s.

Shoot for the stars of course, but I just don't want people who are hitting 64-65 and thinking they won't be able to match. It is still most certainly worth a shot!

Reactions: 3 users
If most 6 year programs were only looking to fill spots with 80+ people, there are going to be a lot of unfilled spots. (This occasionally does happen to programs who get too picky). Remember that it is a match system, so the applicants themselves have some power in where they end up going. I could see certain programs getting away with that, but most will have to interview and rank people with 70s, 60s, and even 50s.

To anyone out there who might be discouraged or intimidated by the high scores in this thread, please don't be.

I took it for the first time in February and again this August, and was able to improve by 23 points (mid 50s to high 70s). Anybody who is willing to put in the time and very hard can do well on this test.

Congrats to everyone who did well, but more importantly good luck to all the future test takers who might be out there reading this. Don't get discouraged by what you see on the internet and just keep working hard, you'll all do well if you put in the time.

Reactions: 6 users
With a solid rank you’ll get a good chunk of interviews tbh so I don’t think you need to retake, especially if you are gonna apply to 4 year programs

Thanks, I only did a few hundred UWorld questions, and I bombed the Micro and Immuno on this exam even though it was quite basic. So I believe I have a good amount of room to improve on a retry.

I'm not claiming to know the exact scores of people who matched. However, I was a stats major in college and I'm telling from that perspective, that MANY people are matching with scores in the (mid-high) 60s.

Shoot for the stars of course, but I just don't want people who are hitting 64-65 and thinking they won't be able to match. It is still most certainly worth a shot!
What about scoring in the low 60's? Going to an unranked school, what score do we need to feel comfortable?

What about scoring in the low 60's? Going to an unranked school, what score do we need to feel comfortable?

No one can say for sure, but there is some research out there (can’t find it on mobile) that has average accepted CBSE score at 67.

Anyone knows what the score trend is for OMS applicants these days? 5 years back, breaking 70 would place you in top 5~10% of the applicant pool from what I heard. It seems to me everyone on this forum is aiming for minimum 75, and some ppl seem to be aiming for over an 85. Nothing wrong about aiming for the highest score you can get, but if people are willing to retake a 75 for something higher, does that mean top 10% applicants are breaking 80~85 these days? I just don't know what the expectations are these days as it is somewhat true the average scores have been creeping up. Can someone shed some insight on this?

I think it really depends on the school you’re coming from. The problem with SDN is everyone hears one number and thinks “Oh, that’s it. I have to get this number or I won’t get accepted.” It the same with class rank, DAT, GPA etc.

If you’re coming from Harvard or Columbia where you’re studying with med school curriculum, you should score in the mid to upper 70s at least. If you’re from a school that doesn’t, programs aren’t expecting you to score that high because you don’t have the same education. Everything really is looked at as a big picture. Shoot for the highest you possibly can and don’t give up. Apply and let the cards fall.

Low 60s would probably get you some interviews at 4 year programs but it’s tougher to impress programs with that score and no class rank. It might be in your best interest to shoot for 65+

I think it really depends on the school you’re coming from. The problem with SDN is everyone hears one number and thinks “Oh, that’s it. I have to get this number or I won’t get accepted.” It the same with class rank, DAT, GPA etc.

If you’re coming from Harvard or Columbia where you’re studying with med school curriculum, you should score in the mid to upper 70s at least. If you’re from a school that doesn’t, programs aren’t expecting you to score that high because you don’t have the same education. Everything really is looked at as a big picture. Shoot for the highest you possibly can and don’t give up. Apply and let the cards fall.
I really don’t think this is true lol ...

I really don’t think this is true lol ...

I would probably agree with you. I don't think they really take into account where you went to school too much, its probably about the numbers mostly. You either meet the minimum score they set or you don't.