Australia B. Pharam for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shangul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that before I begin to independently practice medicine (after I completed the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery degree), I must go through training known as an "internship" then complete at least one more year of prevocational training (or residency).
Then I'd be able to apply to become a licensed family doctor in Australia.
I further understand that my status as an international student graduating from an Australian medical program, affects my chances of receiving an internship: based on the priority ranking system Queensland Health guarantees intern positions only for domestic graduates of the state's four medical schools. Australians from interstate schools are next in line, ahead of international graduates (that would be someone like me) of Queensland schools.
After reading different blogs & forum posts as well as news articles such as this one (http://www.smh.com.au/national/hospitals-buckle-in-tsunami-of-interns-20090724-dw5z.html)
I have come to understand that international medical students are going to have to compete for internship positions (i.e. the 1st thing they need, after getting their MBBS degree, in order to become one step closer to becoming licensed as a Doctor in Australia).
I was wondering:
1-In becoming a pharmacist who can practice in Australia, as an International Student, (after completing my Bachelor of Pharmacy degree), will I be facing similar hurdles as those international students who graduate w/ MBBS degree?
2- For the Bachelor of Pharmacy degree, Is there also priority ranking system in place, similar to the one that exist for the MBBS degree, where international students are placed behind domestic students?
3- After becoming a Pharmacist in Australia, can I come to the U.S. and get licensed and practice there?

I'd greatly appreciate you taking the time and providing me with correct information.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacists and dentists don't have to do an internship, so you don't have the same bottleneck that you do for medicine.

I'm not sure about coming to the US.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of potential backup plans for med students who don't get internships in Australia - for instance, you can do an internship in many other countries. If you get one in NZ, Singapore, or Malaysia, it'll be fully recognized in Aus. If you do it in the US or elsewhere, you can still apply for recognition in Aus.

Pharmacists and dentists don't have to do an internship, so you don't have the same bottleneck that you do for medicine.

I'm not sure about coming to the US.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of potential backup plans for med students who don't get internships in Australia - for instance, you can do an internship in many other countries. If you get one in NZ, Singapore, or Malaysia, it'll be fully recognized in Aus. If you do it in the US or elsewhere, you can still apply for recognition in Aus.

Sorry, I think you are wrong with regards to pharmacist in Australia. B.Pharm graduates are required to do 1 year of 'pre-registration' training after they graduate. This applies to ALL States and Territories in Australia.

Pre-registration jobs are still fairly easy to find. This is because pre-regs get paid 'minimal wage', even lower than assistants. You just have to make sure you have plenty of actual paid work experiences as a pharmacy assistant when you are still a pharmacy student.

However, after you obtain pharmacist registration, your pay gets doubled from what you are getting as a pre-reg but then there are lot less positions available for registered pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I think you are wrong with regards to pharmacist in Australia. B.Pharm graduates are required to do 1 year of 'pre-registration' training after they graduate. This applies to ALL States and Territories in Australia.

Pre-registration jobs are still fairly easy to find. This is because pre-regs get paid 'minimal wage', even lower than assistants. You just have to make sure you have plenty of actual paid work experiences as a pharmacy assistant when you are still a pharmacy student.

However, after you obtain pharmacist registration, your pay gets doubled from what you are getting as a pre-reg but then there are lot less positions available for registered pharmacist.

i think this is probably accurate, though it is possible that the internship programs are optional (like how a residency is optional for dentists), but i know they exist.

the original poster should be aware that there are 2 year master programs, so you wouldnt have do another bachelors. i think the bachelors is like 4 or 5 years, though you could probably get some advanced standng with a previous degree. if an internship is required it would make since given a postgrad pharm degree in the US is 4 years (and does not require an internship year) and in Aus is only 2 years.

the OP should also note that registration only requires completion of an internship; it does not require an additional year (RMO) after internship. also, once registered, and even if you do an RMO year, you are not technically a family doctor. general practice is a specialty and to be a gp you would have to complete the gp training course, which is 4 years in length after internship. after internship you can practice medicine but you are an undifferentiated dr., and as such, it is my understadin the only positions you can get are medical officer ones, which are below registrars.

3- After becoming a Pharmacist in Australia, can I come to the U.S. and get licensed and practice there?

dude, have you heard of google? you can find lots on the web. i mean seriously, you are asking a bunch of people interested in medicine what is required to work as an overseas trained pharmacist in the US. can it really be that hard to find the answer on the web? my guess is that each state has their own requirements for licensure as a pharmacist, that someone would have to evaluate your degree and that may even be a test involved. spend 5 minutes with google and youll probably have your answer.

To be a licensed pharmacist in Australia you must complete an internship (note this is paid).

You can however return to Canada without the internship, however you can not apply for Permenant Residency or Practice as a Pharmacist in Austraila without it.