Australia to UK??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmacpac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. I know it has been mentioned that in general Australian docs can practice in Canada without any restrictions.
Can someone who has completed their education (MBBS) and post-graduate training in Australia practice in UK without having to repeat their post-grad training?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it used to be extremely easy to do so. However now you will have to at a minimum write the PLAB.

Also part of the new rules in the UK make it much easier for EU citizens to work there, but harder for non EU citizens.

A lot of the English students that I went to school with graduated just after this rule came into place and are now also stuck doing all their training in Oz. When they came their plan was to go straight back to the UK and do all their training there. I think their hope is to return once their training here is completed, as it should be a little easier.

Thanks.

So basically, as long as I take the PLAB, I will not have to repeat any part of my training in UK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

So basically, as long as I take the PLAB, I will not have to repeat any part of my training in UK.

You should contact the specialty college in the UK for the field you wish to practice in and ask them.

But.. yes from what I understand, you would only be required to pass the PLAB and obtain medical registration from the GMC. The college 'may' require you to sit their specialty exam.. but maybe not.

It got harder to practice in the UK as an Aussie grad because of the EU, even though Australian training and education is far more compatible with the UK than French or German training. You have to now take the PLAB examination. Still I hear rumors that Britain might leave the EU so that might actually change things.