Autism research as an undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry and Pediatric Neurology as possible professions that I'd like to go into. I know quite a few people who have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS) and High Function Autism (HFA). I'm also considering the MD/PhD route for medical school. I really want to understand Autism more and be able to perform research related to Autism. As someone who is an undergraduate, what are the opportunities for research in this area? Is neuroscience research a good area to explore?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very interested in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry and Pediatric Neurology as possible professions that I'd like to go into. I know quite a few people who have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS) and High Function Autism (HFA). I'm also considering the MD/PhD route for medical school. I really want to understand Autism more and be able to perform research related to Autism. As someone who is an undergraduate, what are the opportunities for research in this area? Is neuroscience research a good area to explore?

Many people on this forum are experts in "how to get into medical school" and are probably not informed enough to help you answer such a question. For a question like that, you should talk to the experts. Talk to professors at your schools. Talk to physicians and other mental health professionals. Premed forum on SDN should not be the first place to start. Best of luck!

Many people on this forum are experts in "how to get into medical school" and are probably not informed enough to help you answer such a question. For a question like that, you should talk to the experts. Talk to professors at your schools. Talk to physicians and other mental health professionals. Premed forum on SDN should not be the first place to start. Best of luck!

I'll definitely speak with the experts in these fields. I just thought I'd ask the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course there are opportunities to do research in autism. It's no different than anything else: find a lab that's doing research in it and see if you can get involved.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if your overall goal is to get a MD/PhD then you're going to need substantial research of some kind. If you're confident that this is what you want to do, then getting involved early is obviously advantageous. It gives you the opportunity to begin learning about the field and developing your expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Of course there are opportunities to do research in autism. It's no different than anything else: find a lab that's doing research in it and see if you can get involved.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if your overall goal is to get a MD/PhD then you're going to need substantial research of some kind. If you're confident that this is what you want to do, then getting involved early is obviously advantageous. It gives you the opportunity to begin learning about the field and developing your expertise.

1: While it's easy to find labs that are doing autism-related research, I'm finding it very hard for anyone to take me on as an undergraduate who knows very little.
2: I'm asking what are some ways to get involved in autism research, because that is what I want to focus on in my PhD training. I mentioned neuroscience research because, if I can't get directly involved with patients who have autism, then at least I can work in a neuroscience lab on my campus trying to figure out more about the disorder.

1: While it's easy to find labs that are doing autism-related research, I'm finding it very hard for anyone to take me on as an undergraduate who knows very little.
2: I'm asking what are some ways to get involved in autism research, because that is what I want to focus on in my PhD training. I mentioned neuroscience research because, if I can't get directly involved with patients who have autism, then at least I can work in a neuroscience lab on my campus trying to figure out more about the disorder.

Ah, I see. Regarding #1, unfortunately this is the plight of the pre-med. Approach your initial research positions (aka lab scut monkey) as a means to an end. The initial barrier to entry for research is high but once you have some degree of experience and can demonstrate that you're not a complete goof, your value increases substantially. My advice would be to take ANY research position you can at this point - the closer to your preferred field of interest the better, but don't be choosey. You're not in a position to discriminate. Then, once you have some experience, you might be more likely to land positions in other labs with more interesting responsibility. You should also network with professors that do research, particularly if you do well in their courses.

I think your point in #2 is largely addressed above. Again, the most important thing at this point is that you get your hands dirty and get some experience. No PI wants to be the person that has to train new people (with some exceptions), but most PIs are willing to accept some free plug-and-play labor if you can demonstrate some minimal competence. Get some basic experience over a period of 6-12 months, then try and do something more substantive - perhaps even a summer research program.

Reactions: 1 users
You can gain an excellent understanding of autism and autistic tendencies if you spend enough time on SDN.

Ah, I see. Regarding #1, unfortunately this is the plight of the pre-med. Approach your initial research positions (aka lab scut monkey) as a means to an end. The initial barrier to entry for research is high but once you have some degree of experience and can demonstrate that you're not a complete goof, your value increases substantially. My advice would be to take ANY research position you can at this point - the closer to your preferred field of interest the better, but don't be choosey. You're not in a position to discriminate. Then, once you have some experience, you might be more likely to land positions in other labs with more interesting responsibility. You should also network with professors that do research, particularly if you do well in their courses.

I think your point in #2 is largely addressed above. Again, the most important thing at this point is that you get your hands dirty and get some experience. No PI wants to be the person that has to train new people (with some exceptions), but most PIs are willing to accept some free plug-and-play labor if you can demonstrate some minimal competence. Get some basic experience over a period of 6-12 months, then try and do something more substantive - perhaps even a summer research program.

Thank you for the input @NickNaylor. I'll try to get in touch with some researchers on campus and see if I can't get my foot in the door.

The field you do your undergrad research in isn't really important. What's more important is getting exposure to the world of biomedical research, taking ownership of a project, and understanding the motivation for the work you're doing. Neuroscience sounds like a good fit for you, but I would not limit my search to autism labs. Keep an open mind.

It also sounds like you want to do clinical research (based on your comment about patients). Note that MD/PhD programs seem to value basic research much more than clinical, and if you just want to perform clinical trials during your career a PhD is not necessary.

The field you do your undergrad research in isn't really important. What's more important is getting exposure to the world of biomedical research, taking ownership of a project, and understanding the motivation for the work you're doing. Neuroscience sounds like a good fit for you, but I would not limit my search to autism labs. Keep an open mind.

It also sounds like you want to do clinical research (based on your comment about patients). Note that MD/PhD programs seem to value basic research much more than clinical, and if you just want to perform clinical trials during your career a PhD is not necessary.

I don't want to just perform clinical research. I very seriously want to understand the science behind autism, as well; hence, the PhD. This may change as I go along. Right now, I'm focused on bench research. Also, I emailed a neuroscience professor at my university today and she quickly got back to me saying that she would love to schedule an interview. What is the appropriate attire for an interview like this (business casual?) and should I do any homework prior to the interview (reading her publications, reading more about her laboratory, etc)?

I don't want to just perform clinical research. I very seriously want to understand the science behind autism, as well; hence, the PhD. This may change as I go along. Right now, I'm focused on bench research. Also, I emailed a neuroscience professor at my university today and she quickly got back to me saying that she would love to schedule an interview. What is the appropriate attire for an interview like this (business casual?) and should I do any homework prior to the interview (reading her publications, reading more about her laboratory, etc)?
Nice khakis and a button up shirt should be fine (assuming you're a guy). You don't need to memorize her entire CV, but read through her lab page and skim some recent pubs to get a feel for the general focus of the lab and the techniques they use. I like to come up with a few questions about to the PI's research ahead of time that I can ask. You should absolutely get answers to the following questions:

1. What project does she want you to work on, and how independent would you be?
2. What are the expectations in terms of time commitment?
3. How available is the PI to answer questions, meet with students, etc? If the PI isn't around, are there senior scientists or postdocs who provide good mentorship? (This one is better answered by undergrads/grad students in the lab - I recommend asking her if you can contact them)

Bring a copy of your CV with you, just in case she asks for it. She probably won't, but you never know. Good luck!

Nice khakis and a button up shirt should be fine (assuming you're a guy). You don't need to memorize her entire CV, but read through her lab page and skim some recent pubs to get a feel for the general focus of the lab and the techniques they use. I like to come up with a few questions about to the PI's research ahead of time that I can ask. You should absolutely get answers to the following questions:

1. What project does she want you to work on, and how independent would you be?
2. What are the expectations in terms of time commitment?
3. How available is the PI to answer questions, meet with students, etc? If the PI isn't around, are there senior scientists or postdocs who provide good mentorship? (This one is better answered by undergrads/grad students in the lab - I recommend asking her if you can contact them)

Bring a copy of your CV with you, just in case she asks for it. She probably won't, but you never know. Good luck!

The PI is actually the one conducting the interview. Also, this is great advice! I'll have to memorize those questions, too. The PI didn't ask for a CV.

Take a graduate course that will teach you about autism. The course may not necessarily teach about autism but try to look for one that handles mental disorders in general. That would be a good start

OP: Good luck with your interview!

I dedicated a substantial amount of my undergrad time to autism, from summer internships to neuro research, so I can definitely say that it's a fascinating though stubbornly difficult field. I think the specific opportunities you have available to you will depend on your university and whether or not you go work for this PI, but just broadly speaking I hope that you will explore it beyond just bench research. Here are a few aspects that I find particularly exciting:

-The neuroscience, as you mentioned - evidence is scattered and inconclusive. This could mean it's difficult to get great results, but it's also more exciting... We are still in that immature, etiologically confused phase for autism and that means enormous progress can still be made for people doing research in that area. I think some of the neuropharmacology research could be cool, but it's all up to which papers you like better. If you don't like the PIs at your school or want to venture outside of their work, you might also consider hitting up some of the NIH PIs for a summer, although I've never done that personally so can't speak to how receptive they would be.

-The genetics - there's so much buzz nowadays surrounding personalized medicine in oncology, but I really think autism could be the next frontier. Its complexity and heterogeneity are so reminiscent of our early understanding of cancer, and with all the next gen sequencing and other genetic technology emerging, the field can get really exciting really quickly.

-The psychology - if you work in the psych side of autism you will get to work with actual autistic children and adults on a more hands-on way. I did this in freshman / sophomore year and loved it. There are a lot of psychological therapies/tools available to help these individuals and watching them make progress, albeit slowly, can be deeply rewarding and a great reminder of why you want to work in this field in the first place. Aspergers is an interesting subset that might be a good transition into this field if you are not completely comfortable with severely autistic individuals. There are group homes and therapy centers all over the country and lots of volunteering opportunities. Depending on what your school has, this is also a way to get involved with clinical research relating to autism.

-The policy - This is a niche interest for me and apologies if it sounds boring, but I think autism policy (and mental health policy in general) is a heartbreaking field, especially internationally. My hands-down most inspiring experience of all time came from a research/policy internship abroad where I got to work on autism advocacy and saw how much highfalutin, abstract policy work could affect families on a day-to-day basis (Question: how do you convince a government to fund personalized education for autistic children if there is barely adequate basic education to go around for neurotypical kids?). But just within the US, patients and families rely so much on community support and advocacy groups have really shaped the landscape of autism care today (just like oncology!)--which I'm sure you know from a personal perspective as well if you know any autistic individuals. Like the whole controversy on the definition of autism that has been in the media lately--how will borderline individuals gain access to the therapies and support programs that they probably need? How do we navigate wanting to accurately define a clinical syndrome and meeting the realistic needs of individuals from a social obligation perspective? There are so many difficult and fascinating questions!

-The drugs - Absent disease-modifying agents, we use psych meds to regulate and temper the symptoms of autism. As a result, children with different sets of symptoms receive different cocktails of regular psych meds for anxiety, hyperactivity, irritability, depression etc.etc. Some MDs think we can use these as clinical indicators for figuring out distinct subtypes of autism, others are skeptical and maintain that we just don't know enough to really help these kids medicinally. I encourage you to look into pharma and biotech's developing pipeline for autism--there are a few semi-interesting candidates, though nothing earth shattering.

As a psych/neuro major I find almost all of mental illness interesting, but autism is special in that it really points to a part of us that we consider incorrigibly human and essential to living in the human society. It is not like schizophrenia, which is more of a malfunction, or like addiction, which is more of an evolutionary flaw. Autism is a disorder that forces us to examine how we touch, love, and communicate with one another and it is insidiously tragic. I hope you stay interested in this field and good luck with your research!

I'm gonna echo what others have said. Any research at this point would only help. For example, if you were to find work at a lab at that focuses on Parkinson's (just an example) at this point in your life, it would help catapult you into any other biomedical research field. And you never know, you might find a new interest.

I hope the interview goes well!