Average age of marriage for physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fish89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are any recent formal studies on this, but you can find the percentage of divorced and single doctors according to specialty. It isn't uncommon to get married during med school, usually after or before 3rd year. I would expect the average age to be between 25 and 30.

By the looks of my class, somewhere before 22.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Leave it to a premed to look for data on love. Seriously...just do what feels right.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd imagine the average age is about the same, but there is a much larger deviation about the mean. A lot of doctors marry much earlier than normal (because doctors are weird people) and a lot marry much later than normal (because doctors are weird people). Few doctors are just right.

The SD would be high enough so as to be irrelevant for any predictive purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this thread serious?

Just curious, what's the average of of marriage for male and female physicians? I can only find data from 20 years ago, which obviously doesn't apply today...

the current science explains a bimodal relationship between age and related...

hahahahah get out of here, are you guys serious?

I think it largely depends on specialty, surgeons tend marry later than pcp's, etc. Most people I know either married before or after residency (if they were still together lol) so I would say late 20's to early to mid 30's….its not a specific age, but I think its a pretty good ballpark.

the current science explains a bimodal relationship between age and related...

hahahahah get out of here, are you guys serious?

Is this thread serious?

Leave it to a premed to look for data on love. Seriously...just do what feels right.

?? Why are you pooh poohing on someone that's curious in knowing some descriptive statistic about his future colleagues? It's no more bizarre than asking what the average age of physicians when they enter med school or the divorce rate. Perhaps you don't find the information relevant but I think it's a little crazy to suggest this guy is weird for being interested.

As a girl I am def interested in this. As a guy you can go out to a bar in college and tell some girl you are applying to medical school and they are intrigued and you probably getter hotter in their heads instantly. I have honestly stopped telling guys I meet that im applying to medical school bc they say "ohhh" in an intimidated voice and usually walk away or end the covo. So I can't wait to hopefully one day be around people who don't care that I am in medical school. I don't know if other girls have this problem but I have.

As a girl I am def interested in this. As a guy you can go out to a bar in college and tell some girl you are applying to medical school and they are intrigued and you probably getter hotter in their heads instantly. I have honestly stopped telling guys I meet that im applying to medical school bc they say "ohhh" in an intimidated voice and usually walk away or end the covo. So I can't wait to hopefully one day be around people who don't care that I am in medical school. I don't know if other girls have this problem but I have.

I guess most guys feel inferior when they hear a girl is a doctor or has a higher income than them. I really don't care, when I hear a girl is a med student or has aspirations for some health profession, that makes them more attractive to me. I am obviously biased though.

i dont understand why a guy would walk away from a girl because of her aspirations and goals. It doesn't intimidate me or make me feel inferior i dont know maybe just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah tbh, I am actually turned off by girls who don't have any career/professional goals. Some women just want to be stay-at-home mom's, and that's perfectly fine, but it's just like their whole identity is defined by their children. When their children leave the home, these mother's basically lose their identities and become chronically intruding mother-in-laws like Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond.

I can't see myself getting serious with someone who isn't in academia or medicine or something similar. At the very least, she needs to have drive to achieve something in her career, whatever that may be. Outside of short term flings, there is no way I'd want to be stuck with someone who only wanted to be a stay at home wife (not really looking to ever have kids at the moment).

I think that may play a role a little later on as people's biological clock starts ticking. In college, I haven't really found that to be all that true. In college, you could be planning on a career driving cabs but if you're decent looking and have confidence, that's pretty much all you need in 99% of situations. Of course, as you (and the girls) start growing up, it begins to matter.

I can't see myself getting serious with someone who isn't in academia or medicine or something similar. At the very least, she needs to have drive to achieve something in her career, whatever that may be. Outside of short term flings, there is no way I'd want to be stuck with someone who only wanted to be a stay at home wife (not really looking to ever have kids at the moment).

Agreed!! I personally think its a huge turn off if someone isn't movtivated and driven for academia or at least highers education. and Kids are over rated! (my mom doesn't think so though)!

Having kids is so last generation.

So is marriage for that matter.

I guess most guys feel inferior when they hear a girl is a doctor or has a higher income than them. I really don't care, when I hear a girl is a med student or has aspirations for some health profession, that makes them more attractive to me. I am obviously biased though.

My husband's coworkers jokingly refer to me as his "rich doctor wife". :laugh:

soooo true. My boyfriend is a stuntman/capoeira instructor (which I love) but he can get kinda insecure about it....asking me "what is a future doctor doing with me..." and he often jokes that I am going to go off to medical school and fall in love with some hot med student. Personally I wouldn't want to date another doctor.....but maybe that's just me. I never hide my aspirations and if I guy doesn't like it then they are not the man for me :)

Well hello there, princess.

It ultimately depends on what your looking for. Personally I want to have fun right now and not be committed to a long term relationship. I find that girls who don't have drive/motivation and just looks are pretty easy, but that said girls who do have a direction in life are more attractive indeed for reasons beyond just looks.

At the end of the day, however intelligent and hot a girl is, she is still a girl and biologically programmed to like guys. If your man enough to understand that, then it doesn't really matter what she does.

I was just wondering that if playing the "im a med student" card actually works? Im not sure if women would actually be shallow enough to go for a guy based on just that. I haven't actually tried this out because im not med school yet lol).

It ultimately depends on what your looking for. Personally I want to have fun right now and not be committed to a long term relationship. I find that girls who don't have drive/motivation and just looks are pretty easy, but that said girls who do have a direction in life are more attractive indeed for reasons beyond just looks.

At the end of the day, however intelligent and hot a girl is, she is still a girl and biologically programmed to like guys. If your man enough to understand that, then it doesn't really matter what she does.

I was just wondering that if playing the "im a med student" card actually works? Im not sure if women would actually be shallow enough to go for a guy based on just that. I haven't actually tried this out because im not med school yet lol).

Haha, depends where you go. A friend of mine (med student) wears scrubs to bars because 'it's too much hassle to change'. We all know it's BS but he gets so much tail that it's not even funny. And I knew him in college - the guy would have had trouble getting girl in the red light district.

But again, it's very highly dependent on the places you frequent.

Haha, depends where you go. A friend of mine (med student) wears scrubs to bars because 'it's too much hassle to change'. We all know it's BS but he gets so much tail that it's not even funny. And I knew him in college - the guy would have had trouble getting girl in the red light district.

But again, it's very highly dependent on the places you frequent.

I can't believe that they actually let him in like that, and I can't believe that it actually works too!

Hahaha thats hilarious, but good for him.

LOL at the insinuation that being a stay at home mom is some kind of cakewalk. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you don't have a kid.

I know this is an older thread, but I came across it on Google and have been curious about the same thing.

I'm a neurosci PhD student, not a medical student, but I assume it's similar in that with the time invested in education you often don't have time to date as much until later on.

So for example, I'm 28 now and about to finish my degree, and I often wonder if my time window for finding a relationship is 'running out' - hence why the contemporary statistics would be of interest to me.

Talking about people in medicine or academia in general, I agree with a lot of the other comments here - I personally could only see myself with a fellow academic or a clinician, because of the common interests. It not only takes a lot of commitment to go into a career like that, but medicine in particular is a career people dedicate themselves to because they want to help PEOPLE who need it the most. That shows a lot about a person's character and the kind of influence they want their work to have in the world :)

Do you think it's common for people in academia/medicine to have a partner with a large age difference too? I've certainly noticed that with even some older-generation doctors/professors I've known.

Screw that, I wanna marry rich. You're doing it wrong.

Hahahahahahaha!!! Saying "I'm currently applying to medical school" definitely does not work with women from a guys perspective, or maybe I'm choosing the wrong cologne.

Are people even getting married anymore?

Reactions: 2 users
Hahahahahahaha!!! Saying "I'm currently applying to medical school" definitely does not work with women from a guys perspective, or maybe I'm choosing the wrong cologne.

I was never interested in guys who were "applying" to med school. The ones who were in med school, however...hubba hubba

I'm getting married at 22..but I feel like that's a lot younger than the norm

Idc I don't know if I even want to get married and lose my freedom as a man. Like in Seinfeld, as Kramer says, you'll have to ask to use the bathroom, you can't watch T.V while you're eating, you have to talk about your day while eating dinner...... "how was your day today?"

If I do get married it will be at least to an at least attractive and intelligent woman. Not going to go for an airhead, no offense.

My marriage will be arranged when I turn 26. Most urban, educated Indian men have their marriages arranged in their late 20s.

I can't, but if I could choose what kind of woman I wanted to marry, I would pick a lawyer. Then she could fight my malpractice suits for me!

Last edited:
My marriage will be arranged when I turn 26. Most urban, educated Indian men have their marriages arranged in their late 20s.

Boo arranged marriages. The first time I heard about this was two years ago(I didn't think this STILL actually existed. I thought it was a stone age thing :laugh:). Seems weird. Definitely not a healthy long lasting marriage in the making if it's arranged. I understand it's mainly a cultural thing, but...I just don't get it. Plus, where's the fun in dating people and getting to know someone special? :D

Boo arranged marriages. The first time I heard about this was two years ago(I didn't think this STILL actually existed. I thought it was a stone age thing :laugh:). Seems weird. Definitely not a healthy long lasting marriage in the making if it's arranged. I understand it's mainly a cultural thing, but...I just don't get it.

Well, they last a lot longer than American marriages :)

Tbh, there are pros and cons to the practice. But most people seem to like them. I think the latest numbers I read said that 74% of Indians (urban, educated Indians, because who else would respond to an English-language poll) favored the practice of arranged marriage over other alternatives.

Well, they last a lot longer than American marriages :)

Tbh, there are pros and cons to the practice. But most people seem to like them. I think the latest numbers I read said that 74% of Indians favored the practice of arranged marriage over other alternatives.

Interesting. The more you know :)

This is gonna sound ignorant, but I'm just curious, do Indian guys just tell their mom and dad that they are ready to get married, and they find them a cute girl for life? What if the son isn't physically/emotionally attracted to the girl or finds talking to her or hanging out with her to be a major bore? Do the parents find a replacement, or does the son compromise?

Interesting. The more you know :)

This is gonna sound ignorant, but I'm just curious, do Indian guys just tell their mom and dad that they are ready to get married, and they find them a cute girl for life? What if the son isn't physically/emotionally attracted to the girl or finds talking to her or hanging out with her to be a major bore? Do the parents find a replacement, or does the son compromise?

Actually, the parents decide when "ready" is. Usually it's when the guy has a stable job, which ends up being in his late 20s.

As for what happens if the son doesn't like the girl:

The thing to remember is that if the son is a "catch" (defined as physically attractive, from a wealthy family, working a high-status job, and other things), he'll have girls lined up and down the block for him. He'll be able to pick what he wants.

It seems like you think that the system pits the son against his family. It doesn't. The arranged marriage is a way for the family to help the son find the highest quality woman possible.

And that's why people choose to participate in the system. Look at it from my perspective. I'm a quiet, nerdy, foreveralone guy. American girls either hate me, or think I'm invisible. Anyways, I can do one of two things: 1) I can get into PUA or whatever it is called, study seduction throughout medical school, and eventually find a 6/10 to marry. Or, 2) I can study even harder throughout medical school, get into a better specialty, and get a 9+/10 from India, because I'm a tall, physically attractive physician from a good family. The arranged marriage gives me a much better chance of securing a high quality wife.

Last edited:
Actually, the parents decide when "ready" is. Usually it's when the guy has a stable job, which ends up being in his late 20s.

As for what happens if the son doesn't like the girl:

The thing to remember is that if the son is a "catch" (defined as physically attractive, from a wealthy family, working a high-status job, and other things), he'll have girls lined up and down the block for him. He'll be able to pick what he wants.

It seems like you think that the system pits the son against his family. It doesn't. The arranged marriage is a way for the family to help the son find the highest quality woman possible.

And that's why people choose to participate in the system. Look at it from my perspective. I'm a quiet, nerdy, foreveralone guy. American girls either hate me, or think I'm invisible. Anyways, I can do one of two things: 1) I can get into PUA or whatever it is called, study seduction throughout medical school, and eventually find a 6/10 to marry. Or, 2) I can study even harder throughout medical school, get into a better specialty, and get a 9+/10 from India, because I'm a tall, physically attractive physician from a good family. The arranged marriage gives me a much better chance of securing a high quality wife.

Wait so are you saying the difference between pathology and say derm is 3 points, 6 to a 9, difference in the attractiveness of the wife you will get?

I think arranged marriages have really been given a bad rap in the western world. When westerners think 'arranged marriage' they automatically picture a scared ten-year-old girl being forced at gunpoint to marry some 50+ year old creep.

From what I've seen, both systems of marriage are pretty much equal when it comes down to overall satisfaction with the marriage. People who date may think that they are placed at a significant advantage because they 'know' who they are marrying, but in reality, it is difficult to truly understand someone until you have lived with them for a significant amount of time.

On the other hand, HughMyron, I seriously doubt that a high-paying specialty = more attractive wife. I'm also bothered by the fact that you consider a more attractive wife a high- quality wife, but I suppose many guys think this way.

Wait so are you saying the difference between pathology and say derm is 3 points, 6 to a 9, difference in the attractiveness of the wife you will get?

No, I phrased that poorly.

American girls don't like me, so I would never be able to marry a high quality American woman. Also, learning the social skills to do so would mean taking a lot of time off med school work.

So that's why I chose an arranged marriage, much easier this way.

On the other hand, HughMyron, I seriously doubt that a high-paying specialty = more attractive wife. I'm also bothered by the fact that you consider a more attractive wife a high- quality wife, but I suppose many guys think this way.

I agree with that; in my experience, the cuter the girl, the less intelligent she is. I've found that the more beautiful she is, the more boring and brainless she is. I know very few exceptions, but they are usually very studious and still have trouble carrying out good conversations.

This is what annoys people about arranged marriage... that you do it as a last resort instead of developing the skills, understanding, and maturity to find someone on your own.

Otoh, arranged marriage can be great in that you don't have to bother with dating (and therefore heartbreak), you're guaranteed to be with someone that meets superficial standards (attractiveness, salary), and you'll be with someone that your family approves of right off the bat! It's really not too different from your mom introducing you to someone - after all, who wants the best for you more than she does? In the modern era, it's not like the two people getting married meet AT the wedding or something. Plus, I think people who have arranged marriages have more traditional values and I would imagine are less inclined to get divorced (though I have zero stats to back that up). I don't think I would personally do it in the traditional sense since my last so was truly wonderful in ways my parents would never be able to seek out, but I can understand why people would choose this.

No, I phrased that poorly.

American girls don't like me, so I would never be able to marry a high quality American woman. Also, learning the social skills to do so would mean taking a lot of time off med school work.

I spent a year teaching English in Korea - and I agree that us westerners have a TOTALLY wrong view of the Asian arranged marriage practice.

When I worked in Korea - young men and women view each other's status (career/education) and family background to be by far, the most important deciding factor if they are compatible. A Samsung IT engineer is just not gonna marry a farm girl, even if their personality is a perfect fit. To a girl, a guy's looks is not all that important - compared to his education/career. A bald, fat, and ugly Samsung/Hyundai engineer is much more attractive than a male model making 1/10 of his income.

Within a guy/girl's social circle - there are usually very few people that match what they are looking for in a marriage partner due to the hypergamy practice - the women must marry UP (economically/education) - and the man must marry someone 3-4 years younger and ideally the woman must be attractive.

So usually the young person's parents would want to introduce as many "dates/partners" as possible to their son/daughter that they see as potential fits. They go on dates, and in the end, the son/daughter has the final say if they like the match or not.

It is a much better system IMHO than here in America where we have the stress of fending for ourselves!

I'd be scared if my parents picked out potential dates for me :scared:

It is a cultural thing.

Us Americans = values personality/common interest

Them Asians = values career/family background

Most Koreans meet their spouse through introductions - "introducing" someone is by far the most common way of meeting a mate, whether it is through friends, coworkers, or most common of all, family.

I'm learning so much from this thread.

Id just be grossed out at the girls my mom would pick. She'd probably pick some ultra religious, super dumb, "I wanna just stay home an have babies" type. I know they say men value looks above all, but that just isn't true for me, If I can't hold a decent conversation with you its not going to work. Also im not religious at all.

Reactions: 2 users