Average Board score for top residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychminded

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to psych, and have a board score mid-240s, and wanted to know how competitive I am for these programs.
I saw previous data that said average board score for psych was 214.

I wanted to know what is the average board score for top programs in psych such as MGH/Columbia/Hopkins/Yale/UCLA etc.

Please let me know, or direct me to where I can find some further info, I have looked, but did not find much info on this matter.

Also, any other general advice to applying to the top programs would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You have an awesome score that will be enough to match at any of those programs. I guarantee that applicants with lower scores have gotten in. To be honest, the top programs can actually be so choosy as to not worry so much about board scores.

Your board score will make you stand out, even amongst their applicants (I had a similar board score, applied/interviewed at similar places). I'm not sure how much of a help it will be. It will get you noticed, but they'll probably make their decision almost enirel on other factors.

Think of your board score as the advertisement that makes them want to give you a test drive. It won't ultimately be htat influential when it comes to whether they decide to buy he car or not.

Reactions: 4 users
i can assure you that you stand a good chance of getting invites to all of those programs as long as you have honors/HPs in psych and medicine. good pubs won't hurt either.