Average community college GPA with 4-yr university GPA for overall GPA right?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SIGMACHIGUY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So on the medical school pursuit here and I totally assumed that when you apply to medical school, you average your community college GPA with your 4-yr university GPA but for some reason I just questioned myself and just wanted to make sure this is the case, right?! Does it vary from school to school or DO and MD?

I had an HORRIBLE 2.61 overall and 2.52 sciences at my previous 4-yr university. Didn't think I was capable of med school so I went the nursing route because I loved healthcare. After 2 years at the community college, I graduated the program with a 4.0. So my overall is 3.12 when you average them both based my credits and points.

I know this won't cut it for adcoms as it's a community college and a nursing program so I just registered to another local 4-yr university to re-take some classes this spring and study for the MCAT of course. But I just wanted to make sure my 3.12 holds true and that medical schools due factor in my GPA at a community college...otherwise I'm going to be severely depressed having to start at 2.61 all over again!

Any help would be appreciated!! I sort of just freaked out right now when I realized that I had been assuming this the entire time! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

If your nursing came after your previous degree, then it's post bacc. It's also going to be more recent than your previous degree (a plus). Your entire uGPA is going to be averaged together but the more recent stuff that is excellent is going to help you.

If your nursing degree is associates level, then it's associates level. It might be prudent to take (re-take) your pre-med science courses at a 4-year university and ace them but your entire uGPA will consist of your nursing and your previous coursework. If your pre-med work was below a B, you definitely should retake them.

I got a question, I have only taken a intro bio course at CC and received a B about 5 years ago. I transffered to a 4 year university and graduated with a 3.51 gpa, my CC gpa was 2.8 or so. Would this hurt me even if I do really well in my science courses for pre-med?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a question, I have only taken a intro bio course at CC and received a B about 5 years ago. I transffered to a 4 year university and graduated with a 3.51 gpa, my CC gpa was 2.8 or so. Would this hurt me even if I do really well in my science courses for pre-med?

It's all about the total overall GPA. You have to add everything up and take the average, good grades & bad, new grades & old. It's just math.

deleted.

Last edited:
it's the average from CC and four year all counts.

Last edited: