Average $ for psychiatry resident moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a rising Pgy-2 psych resident living NYC who wants to moonlight externally pgy3. My program does not have in house moonlighting. Does anybody know any opportunities in NYC for psych moonlighting?

Members don't see this ad.

We get paid $75/hr before tax for all our internal moonlighting. One is through the state hospital and is cush (generally get at least 4-5hrs a sleep a night). The other is at our community hospital covering consults and ED which is generally pretty busy. Wish we got some of these $100+/hr gigss!

Members don't see this ad :)
the general hourly wage for moonlighting is only for hours actively seeing patients, plus you get a separate amount for being on call.

That’s not true. Theres plenty of moonlighting gigs (some listed here) that just pay you per hour for a set shift. If you’re in house, they better be paying you whether you’re seeing a patient or not.

Home call is generally different, you get paid a set amount for that and then typically an amount per consult/when you have to come in.

bump... just curious as to what opportunities are available

PGY 3 Psych resident. I had two jobs during PGY 3 year. One paid 140 per hour and the other 120 per hour. Both external. But my program suspended moonlighting for now due to Covid so its on hold. Still pulled 100k+ during my third year from moonlighting alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone ever see those 48hr coverage gigs that pay 6-7k for in house coverage?

Turned it down a few years ago. Maybe other places are different, but it looked miserable in my n-1. Saw the psychiatrist around hour 40, and he didn’t need to admit that he would never do it again. His face said it for him.

Turned it down a few years ago. Maybe other places are different, but it looked miserable in my n-1. Saw the psychiatrist around hour 40, and he didn’t need to admit that he would never do it again. His face said it for him.
Well I would never do residency again and it’s 4 years. So I’d be down.

I get $5,500 for onsight weekend Sat am-Mon am rounding on 24 bed unit, covering another 20 bed unit after hours, admissions and consults. I rarely take it as it can be and generally is brutal but a nice haul.

Boston pays $200/hour minimum. Pretty much standard rate for all psych moonlighting in the area.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know about moonlighting opportunities in Connecticut?

Members don't see this ad :)
Boston pays $200/hour minimum. Pretty much standard rate for all psych moonlighting in the area.

Was thinking about doing locums for a few years after graduation until I figure out what set up I want. Was hoping to crush some 50-60 hour weeks and knock out my loans too. Is this pretty doable at the rate you quoted?

Was thinking about doing locums for a few years after graduation until I figure out what set up I want. Was hoping to crush some 50-60 hour weeks and knock out my loans too. Is this pretty doable at the rate you quoted?
So I've been thinking a lot about doing locums full time after graduation... if you run the numbers it turns out to be

$200 per hour x 40 hours a week x 48 weeks a year= $384k not including weekends or holidays or any bonus shifts. If you can manage to be frugal you can probably crush your loans pretty fast

So I've been thinking a lot about doing locums full time after graduation... if you run the numbers it turns out to be

$200 per hour x 40 hours a week x 48 weeks a year= $384k not including weekends or holidays or any bonus shifts. If you can manage to be frugal you can probably crush your loans pretty fast

Still good money but keep in mind locums are generally 1099 so you are paying the full boat on FICA and no LTD, STD, health, death, 401k match which can account for $30,000-$40,000. And sometimes the places relying on locums are doing so for a reason.

Easy enough to fill up a schedule with 40-50 hours in a major metro at that rate? Or do you have weeks which get involuntarily leaner hours wise?

Assuming not, seems like it should be pretty easy to crush 600K a year with one year of intern year hours. Could pretty easily knock out 250k in loans in one year alone like that.

**Taxes** you forget how much you will ultimately pay in taxes in that hypothetical 600K

I ran it through paycheckcity (in a high state income tax state).. 600 should produce about 360k after tax, assuming no deductions. After subtracting 250 for loans that leaves about 10k a month to live on.

Easy enough to fill up a schedule with 40-50 hours in a major metro at that rate? Or do you have weeks which get involuntarily leaner hours wise?

Assuming not, seems like it should be pretty easy to crush 600K a year with one year of intern year hours. Could pretty easily knock out 250k in loans in one year alone like that.
I am a pgy-4 with another year of training to go and I am bombarded nonstop by locums asking me if I can do shifts. Sadly I am lazy and value my nights and weekends but if you are hardcore enough I imagine the sky is the limit.

One of my friends in a different Boston program was legendary for cranking out 15k in moonlighting dough over the course of one weekend.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I am a pgy-4 with another year of training to go and I am bombarded nonstop by locums asking me if I can do shifts. Sadly I am lazy and value my nights and weekends but if you are hardcore enough I imagine the sky is the limit.

One of my friends in a different Boston program was legendary for cranking out 15k in moonlighting dough over the course of one weekend.
That's crazy. How is that even possible? That's like 300+/hr for 48 hours.

My program has in-house shifts as our primary means of extra cash. $200 to cover inpatient overnight calls from home on our private service with an extra $200 if you physically get called in for some reason. Same goes for covering the academic service on weekends. We also have an extra person help out the consult team from 10-3 for $400.

The state hospital some of my co-residents moonlight at pays $5k for Sat 8am to Mon 8am. Roughly 25-35 patients per weekend from what I’ve heard. Also have a jail near us that pays somewhere between $100-120/hr,
it’s actual employment with scheduled evening hours and a separate inbox to manage though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My program has in-house shifts as our primary means of extra cash. $200 to cover inpatient overnight calls from home on our private service with an extra $200 if you physically get called in for some reason. Same goes for covering the academic service on weekends. We also have an extra person help out the consult team from 10-3 for $400.

The state hospital some of my co-residents moonlight at pays $5k for Sat 8am to Mon 8am. Roughly 25-35 patients per weekend from what I’ve heard. Also have a jail near us that pays somewhere between $100-120/hr,
a legit job with scheduled evening hours.

$200 for overnight even if offsite is low, imo. The least I will take call for is $300 and depending on the unit often not even worth it for that.

It is a bit low, but you only cover admits and random requests on the unit for the most part. Most of my co-residents who do it pick up 2-4 nights a month (dipsersed), so not that much more work for some extra spending money.