Avoid Maimonides Surgery program unless you want to be abused. It is a Malignant program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.K.Man

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think of myself as a unbiased Ortho resident, not part of surgical program at Maimonides. I'm just speaking up here as there are too many inappropriate things happening in surgical program. I feel really bad for the people in this program. I believe the residents have brought it up to ACGME multiple times and yet nothing has changed in the program. This is why I'm writing this warning post for future applicants.

Last year someone posted about this program (here)

As someone who work with these resident I can tell you they are miserable. I have seen grown men be yelled at and they have started to cry in front of other people. I have seen the attending refuse to talk to lower level residents. I have seen peoples lives be destroyed as the program director refused to write any letter of recommendations for any of the pre lim residents.

This year 3 of the 4 chiefs did not match into any spots because the attending's are not supportive at all. One of the chiefs wanted to go into breast surgery and the program director who is a breast surgeon himself did not make any calls for her so she did not match.

Few years ago they held a girl 2 times in her 3rd and 4th year until she quit.
Another year they had a chief who they refused to graduate eventhough he was one of the best. He had to do a fellowship and he and many others had to beg for him to be given a 5th year spot just so he can work. They were about to destroy his life after he had spent years trying to build it and go through residency and fellowship.

It's crazy what goes on there.

I think the news is already out but I would urge people not to apply to this program. Why would anyone apply to a program just to be abused and not get anything out of it? Abuse in Maimonides surgical program is infamous.

I hope this is read by the future applicants. Do yourself a favor and don't apply to this program. If you are pre-lim or categorical know that they will not support you. They will mistreat you, and throw you under the bus.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I have friends who are medical students rotating there and they told me they yelled at all the residents and made them write good things about Maimonides surgical program at SDN.
It’s just sad.

I have friends who are medical students rotating there and they told me they yelled at all the residents and made them write good things about Maimonides surgical program at SDN.
It’s just sad.

Yes you can see quite a few of those in the older thread. All posted on the same day by single post accounts.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WTH is this. Where is Maimonides anyway lol? Such a pity.

Reactions: 1 users
Jesus Christ, how?

Lol. No ****. Maimonides as a whole is a terrible environment. There's a reason the program is almost 100% IMG filled in one of the most sought-after locations of the country. Look here: Our Residents | Medical Education

If you're not matching at the MAIN campus of NYU, Mt Sinai, NY-P Cornell/CUMC, Montefiore, NYMC westchester, or Northwell, you're walking into a malignant program.

Agree except for their EM program. They seem happy. St Luke's has some OK residencies, as does Jacobi. And I would avoid any NYMC-Westchester residency. Otherwise, yes, 100%.

True, there are a few exceptions here and there. Jacobi does seem pretty happy. As do the specialty (non-IM) residents at SUNY downstate.

But I would disagree with St Lukes-Roosevelt. They've had 3 suicides in the past 2 years. You can read about it here, just make sure you have a good adblocker on your browser

3 Doctors have Committed Suicide In The Past 2 Years At This NYC Hospital And They Don't Want You To Know

Oh, wow. Crazy. Awful. I hear things have become awful since Sinai took over. Used to be a non-malignant place.

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, It’s hard to believe this kind of behavior still exists when we are living in an age where someone could easily snap and buy a semi-automatic weapon with 500 rounds in under 3 days and light up the work place! Because of this, I make sure to be nice to everyone especially the weirdos...

With that being said, during my 3rd year surgery rotation, I had an old school attending call me an idiot during a case. I looked at him and said nothing as I calmly stepped back, degowned, and left the OR. I texted my senior resident I would be at the library studying for my shelf the rest of the day. I never reported it and acted like nothing happened and business as usual the next day. No issues on my evaluation at the end of the rotation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Lol yeah, the director of medical education at my hospital is always going on rants about how New York hospitals are in a race to the bottom

So true. I don't understand why NYers put up with it, and I don't understand how so many of their programs (HSS, MSKCC, Columbia IM, Cornell IM, Columbia nsgy etc) are ranked so high. Give me a UAB, Northwestern, or Case residency grad any day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooh, to do what?

Works for the CDC now (also has an MPH that I think was earned during residency). Seems like an interesting gig though I'm not entirely sure what it entails. A decent amount of world travel it seems.

To be honest, It’s hard to believe this kind of behavior still exists when we are living in an age where someone could easily snap and buy a semi-automatic weapon with 500 rounds in under 3 days and light up the work place! Because of this, I make sure to be nice to everyone especially the weirdos...

With that being said, during my 3rd year surgery rotation, I had an old school attending call me an idiot during a case. I looked at him and said nothing as I calmly stepped back, degowned, and left the OR. I texted my senior resident I would be at the library studying for my shelf the rest of the day. I never reported it and acted like nothing happened and business as usual the next day. No issues on my evaluation at the end of the rotation.

Smart, should have acted like you reported it too.

Reactions: 4 users
I wonder if the Maimo gen surg residents are going to be forced to bukkakke adulation all over this thread.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Wow, it sounds like this Maimonides place is a true hell on Earth. Thanks for the heads up so all the good people here can avoid it like the plague!

I'd like to inquire more about the racial makeup and IMG percentage of both faculty and residents at this cesspool, but maybe I should zip my piehole so as not to stir up the hornet's nest any further! :wideyed:

Wow, it sounds like this Maimonides place is a true hell on Earth. Thanks for the heads up so all the good people here can avoid it like the plague!

I'd like to inquire more about the racial makeup and IMG percentage of both faculty and residents at this cesspool, but maybe I should zip my piehole so as not to stir up the hornet's nest any further! :wideyed:

Our Residents | Medical Education

Looks IMG heavy.

Sad. I think some NYC programs actually prefer IMG/FMG residents as they are more easily abused. Have no idea about Maimo, and sadly there are far worse residency programs in NYC, but wow.

Sad. I think some NYC programs actually prefer IMG/FMG residents as they are more easily abused. Have no idea about Maimo, and sadly there are far worse residency programs in NYC, but wow.

Yeah, besides the big programs--specifically their main campuses--as described above, unless you're going into a competitive specialty where it can be a crap shoot, it's better to avoid the NYC programs.

NYC is an awesome city, don't get me wrong, but it's not worth the abuse.

Yeah, besides the big programs--specifically their main campuses--as described above, unless you're going into a competitive specialty where it can be a crap shoot, it's better to avoid the NYC programs.

NYC is an awesome city, don't get me wrong, but it's not worth the abuse.

In all honesty, I don't think even the top residencies in NYC give great training, although the reputation will carry far. Too much scut, not focused on education or procedures. It's a problem.

I wish I had the courage you have. I was called an "idiot" and "*sshole" in front of nurses, techs, and patients numerous times by my attending during my 3rd year vascular surgery rotation but I just sucked it up and smiled like a coward. I survived and got an "A" for the rotation, but the entire experience makes me feel really icky inside all these years later --- mostly because I had zero respect for myself as a person.

sadly this abuse is not just limited to new york. my program is on the other coast and our program director routinely calls us jerkoffs, ******s, even B****.
There is no standardization of rotation, the chiefs and certain "favored" individuals even do less months of certain undesirable rotations such as nights and medicine service. There is also a lot of bullying from the PD and chiefs. Extremely miserable place. So no this is not just a problem in new york.

There is no standardization of rotation, the chiefs and certain "favored" individuals even do less months of certain undesirable rotations such as nights and medicine service. There is also a lot of bullying from the PD and chiefs. Extremely miserable place. So no this is not just a problem in new york.

Sure sounds like you're in L.A.

I wish I had the courage you have. I was called an "idiot" and "*sshole" in front of nurses, techs, and patients numerous times by my attending during my 3rd year vascular surgery rotation but I just sucked it up and smiled like a coward. I survived and got an "A" for the rotation, but the entire experience makes me feel really icky inside all these years later --- mostly because I had zero respect for myself as a person.

Don’t beat yourself up- I’m ex-military and in my early 40s.

My big issue third year was on OB. I had to hear from a fellow classmate that residents that we’d worked with for a week or so we’re spreading BS rumors about the group of us that were on their service. I genuinely enjoyed most of the cases and patients on OB/GYN, but I was completely turned off by the backstabbing and toxicity of the physicians who chose to go into it.

My big issue third year was on OB. I had to hear from a fellow classmate that residents that we’d worked with for a week or so we’re spreading BS rumors about the group of us that were on their service. I genuinely enjoyed most of the cases and patients on OB/GYN, but I was completely turned off by the backstabbing and toxicity of the physicians who chose to go into it.

Very common. They need something to do to pass time in the L&D station at night.

First time hearing about all this NY crap. Ive never heard anyone complain about any service at my school except for gen surg

Some of the most toxic and bitter attendings I ever met were OB/GYNs (mostly male). I saw one shred an attending anesthesiologist in front of an entire group of nurses and residents like he was berating a 4 yr. old toddler who just spilled milk all over the floor. One of the most digusting and unprofessional things I ever witnessed.

Some of the most toxic and bitter attendings I ever met were OB/GYNs (mostly male). I saw one shred an attending anesthesiologist in front of an entire group of nurses and residents like he was berating a 4 yr. old toddler who just spilled milk all over the floor. One of the most digusting and unprofessional things I ever witnessed.

Think about the rude and odd students in your medical school. These folks become residents, fellows and attendings. Many carry the same rudeness and bad attitudes throughout their careers. I am not the least surprised. All you do is keep your calm, smile, and keep it moving. You draw the line when your body or professional career is under attack.

Reactions: 12 users
Don’t beat yourself up- I’m ex-military and in my early 40s.

And a previous nurse. We have thick skin. I have a very similar story and I definitely think I only had enough balls to do it because I was an ICU nurse that didn't take crap from anybody.

Do you guys have any thoughts on IM at Beth Israel, Lenox Hill, or Montefiore? I didn't think it was that bad based off of interviews, but I feel like they always put on their best face on interview day.

Think about the rude and odd students in your medical school. These folks become residents, fellows and attendings. Many carry the same rudeness and bad attitudes throughout their careers. I am not the least surprised. All you do is keep your calm, smile, and keep it moving. You draw the line when your body or professional career is under attack.

Yes, agree on all points. I'm just perplexed why the OB/GYN specialty seems to attract bitter white men? You would think spending your days and nights seeing the wondrous and magical process of childbirth and healthy babies would attract the more optimistic and personable folks. I can understand why an ICU or trauma attending would be toxic because their patients are trainwrecks headed for early graves so the job rubs off on them.

Yes, agree on all points. I'm just perplexed why the OB/GYN specialty seems to attract bitter white men? You would think spending your days and nights seeing the wondrous and magical process of childbirth and healthy babies would attract the more optimistic and personable folks. I can understand why an ICU or trauma attending would be toxic because their patients are trainwrecks headed for early graves so the job rubs off on them.
I think your post is delusional, have you looked at recent ob/gyn residency pages? every single speciality in medicine used to be white men. that is not the case anymore

Wait you are telling me that getting chewed out regularly by attendings as a surgical resident is not the norm ? I just assumed it was , attrition rates in suregry are close to 20%.

I think your post is delusional, have you looked at recent ob/gyn residency pages? every single speciality in medicine used to be white men. that is not the case anymore

To clarify, I meant the older white male OB/GYN's tend to be the bitter, toxic personalities.

Many of the female and younger male OB's I've met have been rather personable.

To clarify, I meant the older white male OB/GYN's tend to be the bitter, toxic personalities.

Sigh. You still don't get it, do you? Guess who is going to have the bitter, toxic personalities in the upper cadres of the Chinese Communist Party? That's right, older Chinese male communists.

Funnily enough, the most toxic attending I ever worked with was a female OB/Gyn. She seemed to hate the inconvenience of med students. She only acknowledged our existence when she absolutely needed something or was telling us how we screwed up.

Wait you are telling me that getting chewed out regularly by attendings as a surgical resident is not the norm ? I just assumed it was , attrition rates in suregry are close to 20%.

Getting chewed out isn't the same as some of the horror stories you'll hear. I got asked if I needed some Midol on my first day because I had to hold traction in a really awkward position for 3+ hours and my shoulder started cramping. Sure it's not really appropriate, but I it wasn't a that big of a deal to me and it actually ended up being a great rotation. That's not the same as regularly getting berated in front of the entire team for things you didn't even mess up or getting taken into a closet by a group of senior residents and getting screamed at for an hour straight. The stuff I dealt with seems to be pretty common, the other issues I described aren't the norm and are signs of a malignant program.

Really? The worst residents I've ever met were the female OB/Gyns. It legitimately felt like it was a real life version of the movie Mean Girls but in a hospital.

Reactions: 8 users
I spent a month doing an away rotation in NYC (I'm originally from Chicago). I never thought that anything could be so awful, but it was. Getting mugged during my last week in scrubs sealed the deal, and I did not rank the program.

Wonder if some academic attendings would benefit from bodycams to document their toxicity and hold them publicly accountable. Would their behavior change if a larger audience were able to observe their outbursts?

I really hope that a bitter, toxic, older Chinese male communist reads this board and claims offense at that. :p

Oh there will be plenty of well-to-do US twenty-something SJWs who will chime in to claim offense taken on their behalf. Don’t you worry.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone with google knows to avoid Maimonides surgery like the plague.

And yeah, NYC has a ton of hospitals stuffed full of IMGs who they abuse the **** out of. I’ve met a few IMGs at these no name hospitals. One girl told me she hadn’t had day off in 5 months.

Wonder if some academic attendings would benefit from bodycams to document their toxicity and hold them publicly accountable. Would their behavior change if a larger audience were able to observe their outbursts?

Heading into 1984 territory there...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile