Away Rotations in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peter Parker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on great away 4th year rotations in the Chicagoland area? I'm mostly thinking about UChicago vs. Cook County, but I'd like to hear about any personal experiences while on EM away rotations in Chicago. Already checked scutwork, but most of the info there seems to be dated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I rotated at cook county. It is well... county.. I liked it a lot but you have to keep in mind it is a 4 yr program and ancillary stuff sucks. On the other hand the path there has to be one of the best in the country.

Isn't it getting late to do away rotations? No letters of rec. at this point. Or do people do them after submitting apps to try and audition?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just trying to find places for next May/June, and apparently a few are already filling up (i.e. UChicago in May 2007 is full as of now ... what's up with that?).

i rotated at county as a fourth year and am now a resident there, and i gotta say that their 4th year rotation was the best. they give you a lot of independence, you can see some pretty sick people, and the attendings for the most part are pretty awesome, and you can get letters from nationally known facutly.

i rotated at county as a fourth year and am now a resident there, and i gotta say that their 4th year rotation was the best. they give you a lot of independence, you can see some pretty sick people, and the attendings for the most part are pretty awesome, and you can get letters from nationally known facutly.

Agreed...very happy with my rotation at County earlier this year. It really helped perpare me for my away electives. The faculty is great and really in to teaching med students.

Just trying to find places for next May/June, and apparently a few are already filling up (i.e. UChicago in May 2007 is full as of now ... what's up with that?).

The EM 4th year rotation has been rated the best clerkship in the hospital for the last 3 years by medical students, so it is competitive to get and fills up fast. There are very sick patients, lots of autonomy, and lots of teaching. You can fly if you want also. If you're interested and/or have questions, PM me.