Away Sub- I vs. Step 2CK early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pericyclic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker, reaching out for advice on neuro situation. I'm a 3rd year scheduling my 4th year schedule. As it stands I am slated for a Home Neuro SubI in July and Home medicine Sub-I in August. I have my block in september to do something with...

I am deciding if I should use the last block before apps are due (September) to do a SubI at big name- west coast school or take a month to do Step 2 CK.

I'm interested in getting into the best program possible, especially on the West Coast being from there. I got in the mid 220's for Step 1 with H in Neurology, coming from school with "name" (albeit not top 25). Have extensive neuro research with 2 pubs. Wondering with this background; if I'd benefit more from taking a month to do Step 2 and improve on my lackluster Step 1 score (I don't want to get screened out!) and get it in before Sept 15; or doing this Away and taking Step 2 after Sept 15.

I'm def. the kind of person that will need some solid dedicated time for Step 2, but I am a little worried that the away will be a waste as you have to get to know the right people and you can just end up with a generic letter (plus it only helps at 1 school). I guess what I'm wondering is, if programs really care about seeing a good Step 2 score in context of average Step 1 score....

any help much appreciated, thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i would find a way to move that medicine sub-i out of there before sept 15th.

also you should advise of your 3rd year grades (neuro, internal)..so we know if you have to compensate for any reason. if you didn't do great in either, then maybe you have more of an argument for having new grades as a 4th year, but if you did fine...i personally dont think these rotations will help your application as much as a solid showing at some top tier neuro away rotaitons.

Personally, I would consider ditching both rotations you currently have scheduled and trying to get 2 away sub-i's in neurology. (people here say you dont need to go crazy with sub-i's here, but i personally think because you have a below avg step 1, you need to set yourself apart if you want a shot at a top tier program. if they know you and they like you, this will trump any blemish on paper...even without a step 2 ck score in my opinion.)

My schedule would go down like this personally (july- away subi- , august- spend a month to study for step 2 ck (take it end of august/early september so you can decide whether or not to submit your score on eras), then go do another sub-i in neurology.

You should be able to use the away letter at more than 1 school. Especially since many of the west coast programs will know the letter writer, it may be better than letters from your own school. You can also get a good letter from your medicine subI, which will help for prelim programs (and neuro programs). And the medicine subI will really help you do well on step 2. If you could do step 2 between sept 15 and the start of your interviews you should be good. It will be hard to study for step 2 once interviews start (mid early-mid october).