Should I do an away rotation (specific situation)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway1224

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited to avoid outing myself. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Long story short, I'm hoping to match a specific mid-tier? academic program (SO, family) and trying to decide if an away rotation would be worthwhile.

About me:
USMD
Class Rank: lower - middle
Step 1: 220s
Rotations: A in psych, B's in everything else, neuro TBD
3 pubs (1 genetics, 2 tangentially neuro related)

Should I rotate at this specific program? Or should I just apply and write to the program explaining my situation and desire to come there?
Doing an away and doing well is always better than just writing a letter. I say do the away and also write a section of a personal statement during app time

Reactions: 1 user
I think away rotations are a very good idea in neurology. When I was applying years ago the advice on here was that they were unnecessary. They are probably still unnecessary for high end applicants that don't want to go to a specific program and not necessarily required to match somewhere for most USMD applicants. Anyone who wants a specific location, or is afraid they aren't competitive should probably do one. A great away rotation can sometimes make a program overlook isolated but major issues like board failures that normally would make it hard to even get an interview. If you are a stellar applicant but want a very specific location it can almost guarantee you a spot after a good experience with the residents/attendings. The only rotators that harmed themselves with our program were abjectly lazy- showing up late, leaving early, avoiding seeing patients, terribly unorganized. The vast majority of away rotators greatly helped (and many matched) our program by doing the rotation.

Reactions: 1 user