Awesome AP only opportunities inside (come look)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Harsh? As far as I could tell it was 100% true. Depending on what day it was I couldn't tell if she was an NIH researcher, an MD student, a PhD student, an MD/PhD student, and independent student, some mixture of the above or none of the above. And yes, she was in her 40's and still planning a career track that would take at least 12 years to complete. I know life's a journey, but damn.

:D

She said she was taking MD classes part-time as well, like one class per semester. I didn't know MD schools offered the part-time thing, but apparently she gets "special permission" cause she's super special or something.

This thread cracks me up.

Members don't see this ad.

super special, eh? liberty, justice, and pudding snacks!!!!

http://www.erichufschmid.net/Dumb-down/super-******.JPG

IIRC, I thought she got some bannination!

Long live the "Awesome AP only opportunities inside (come look)" thread! Only 5 billion more posts until you catch up with the "Random non-pathology and only peripherally related to pathology thread."

-X

Well I guess reviving this thread will be one way to see if she's still around! She wouldn't be able to resist posting if I know her.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still wondering why she got banned. Sure, she said some annoying and inflammatory things from time to time, but who hasn't?

Well I guess reviving this thread will be one way to see if she's still around! She wouldn't be able to resist posting if I know her.

Shhhh... be berry berry quiet... I'm hunting trolls... :)

She said she was taking MD classes part-time as well, like one class per semester. I didn't know MD schools offered the part-time thing, but apparently she gets "special permission" cause she's super special or something.

Yeah... she always sounded FOS...

I'm still wondering why she got banned. Sure, she said some annoying and inflammatory things from time to time, but who hasn't?

Must have been something she did on another forum or something, because I didn't see it happen around here...

My big question, tho, is for Bierstiefel... have LADoc's predictions come true??

BH

Ha Ha! No rusted out ford pinto for you! (please reference the first page of the thread if anyone is confused)

Everyone goes through phases in their career that may or may not become reality. I had a few months where I thought I wanted to do forensics. These things are allowed, it is all a part of building character. I mean, look at how vulgar I was on prior pages of this thread. I'm actually far more offensive now.:eek:

Excuse my ignorance...what does AP and CP stands for? All I noticed in the posts is that one definetly makes more money as an AP/CP.
:thumbup:

Excuse my ignorance...what does AP and CP stands for? All I noticed in the posts is that one definetly makes more money as an AP/CP.
:thumbup:

AP = anatomic pathology:
- Surgical pathology
- Autopsy
- Cytology
- Forensics

CP = clinical pathology:
- Hematopathology
- Transfusion medicine
- Medical microbiology
- Clinical chemistry

This isn't comprehensive, but these are the major subdivisions.

Basically, it is insinuated that if you train in pathology as AP only, you are planning to pursue a career in academic medicine, which historically does not pay as nearly as well as going iinto private practice, which typically prefers a combined AP/CP residency.

However, most path residents are in a combined AP/CP residency, though, even those planning to do academics. The difference in training time between AP only and AP/CP is a whopping one year.

To me, AP only or AP/Neuropath means that you are a hardcore academic and have been for a LONG time. You actually have to make a conscious decision to apply for residency as AP only and will likely be interrogated as to your intentions for doing such. (By interrogated, I mean people will ask you if recently had head trauma or if adult onset insanity runs in your family)

Basically, it is insinuated that if you train in pathology as AP only, you are planning to pursue a career in academic medicine, which historically does not pay as nearly as well as going iinto private practice, which typically prefers a combined AP/CP residency.

However, most path residents are in a combined AP/CP residency, though, even those planning to do academics. The difference in training time between AP only and AP/CP is a whopping one year.

To me, AP only or AP/Neuropath means that you are a hardcore academic and have been for a LONG time. You actually have to make a conscious decision to apply for residency as AP only and will likely be interrogated as to your intentions for doing such. (By interrogated, I mean people will ask you if recently had head trauma or if adult onset insanity runs in your family)

As someone coming from a hardcore research background I had an opposite experience... I wanted to do AP/CP and I was interrogated as to why I wasn't doing AP only or CP only, and I was looked at skeptically.

As someone coming from a hardcore research background I had an opposite experience... I wanted to do AP/CP and I was interrogated as to why I wasn't doing AP only or CP only, and I was looked at skeptically.

I have decided that pathology has AP/CP, AP only, and CP only for the sole reason of torturing us during residency interviews. No matter what you chose, you can't win. I knew during interviews that I wanted to do private practice (I'm actually very business oriented and am looking for partnership track). I had an interview, I think at UAB, with a guy who spent almost an hour trying to convince me to be AP only. I was almost to the point of screaming "I like money. I want to build a pool like Scrooge McDuck, fill it with gold coins, put on some spats, and swim in it" It was absolutely surreal. I had lackluster research and there is no reason why anyone would think of me as an AP only.

Do people who do AP/NP get academic positions in neuropath right out of residency? Do most path programs offer AP/NP?

Do people who do AP/NP get academic positions in neuropath right out of residency? Do most path programs offer AP/NP?

Not all programs have AP/NP, but it is not uncommon. Yes most probably go into academics, but I can think of 3 np who went into private practice and two of them never did CP. So yes you can go into private practice with an NP fellowship and being AP only doesn't mean you only can go into academics or a reference lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
And you shouldn't have to apologize to anyone.

Holly crap!!! :eek::eek::eek:
Im a MSII in Costa Rica (we have a different system but technically I am one) and now I remember that the chief of Histology introduced himself as an "anatomical pathologist" (not sure about the other teachers but they were all pathologists or residents), anyways, the guy had a car that looked that a piece of s*** and his clothes were awful...he was a really cool guy though, very human, knew lots of histo.

Thanks Gut Shot and Pingu for answering my question.

I think this happens to all MD/PhDs with a decent publication record and a professed interest in research ...

It's ok to tell PDs you're hedging your bets in case your research doesnt' pan out, right? :rolleyes: I always explained to them that while completing my PhD I discovered the Wu Tang put it best... C.R.E.A.M....

Dollar dollar bill ya'll,
BH

this kind of talk may not end for you here...it may very well follow you into residency. for instance, lets say you do ap only and you decide to do dermpath. imagine what people will say to you then?

Mmm I'm not sure I'll be able to hear them over the roar of my engine as I pull out of the parking lot...

exteriorpar0094uw1.jpg

:D

BH

There is a program from the NIH to encourage people to enter academics, the loan repayment program. This program will pay up to $35,000 of allowable education debt per year. More information about the program may be found at

http://www.lrp.nih.gov/about/index.htm

As a Department Chair I have a clear interest in encouraging people to enter academic medicine and it is very encouraging that NIH has put together this program. There are a couple of issues, good and bad. First, this is taxable income but NIH pays the income tax. Second, not all research would be considered applicable, so you need to look closely at the website or contact the program officer.

Dan Remick, Chair, Dept of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Boston University

If anyone with influence wants to make academics more palatable, the recipe is simple: turn things back to the Golden Era they once were. The pay doesn't have to be awesome, just give it the perks it once had. Guaranteed modest research funding, reduce the publish or perish pressure, tenure after seven years of decent performance, etc.

Give people some job security and funding security and they will come. I can't believe how anyone in the current academic hierarchy would be surprised at the current state of things. The job has been turned into a truly reprehensible POS and the powers that be are nonetheless shocked that nobody wants to sign on.

And let us not forget that the entire reason that MD/PhD funding, nay, the entire reason that current levels of NIH funding of academic medicine exists in the first place (and, therefore, the reason that every medical advance in the past 30 years exists) is due to the Vietnam war. The bloom in NIH funding corresponds to the scramble of educated medical types into physician-scientist positions that exempted them from the draft. Don't believe me? Ask around.

Preach on brother, preach on...

There have to be perks that make the sacrafices of academics worthwhile...

BH

And let us not forget that the entire reason that MD/PhD funding, nay, the entire reason that current levels of NIH funding of academic medicine exists in the first place (and, therefore, the reason that every medical advance in the past 30 years exists) is due to the Vietnam war. The bloom in NIH funding corresponds to the scramble of educated medical types into physician-scientist positions that exempted them from the draft. Don't believe me? Ask around.

Then the solution is simple: re-institute the draft and start more wars. But seriously, promoting a professional field is a question of making it more attractive relative to other options. I have never understood the impulse to recruit more people to a field as a means to promote it. Take our MD/PhD program, all the leadership cares about is mindlessly increasing the number of slots and trainees, and even the students seem to buy into it wholesale with all the effort that goes into recruiting. And I would bet this is true of most other programs. We are now seeing the fruit of this brainless recruitment mindset, with an entire generation of young PhD's and postdocs brought into the scientific enterprise of the late 1990's and early 2000's in huge numbers without hope of tenure-track jobs.

Same thing with pathology. I hear program directors talk about the need to increase exposure to pathology in order to get more people interested. Why? If your ship is sinking, getting more people on board will not improve matters. Rather, make the field more attractive than the other alternatives, and you will instantly see the best and brightest going into it. It seems to me the way to promote academics is to make the academic ship look like a luxury yacht instead of a place where talented, ambitious and idealistic people are unappreciated, undercompensated, and largely unsuccessful at obtaining funding (to the tune of 10% grant success). A program that only funds 50% of applicants 30K per year in loan forgiveness if they promise to work on a pediatric problem is a nice gesture and a step in the right direction, but it's not going to get the job done.

I hear program directors talk about the need to increase exposure to pathology in order to get more people interested. Why? If your ship is sinking, getting more people on board will not improve matters. Rather, make the field more attractive than the other alternatives, and you will instantly see the best and brightest going into it. It seems to me the way to promote academics is to make the academic ship look like a luxury yacht instead of a place where talented, ambitious and idealistic people are unappreciated, undercompensated, and largely unsuccessful at obtaining funding (to the tune of 10% grant success). A program that only funds 50% of applicants 30K per year in loan forgiveness if they promise to work on a pediatric problem is a nice gesture and a step in the right direction, but it's not going to get the job done.

Pretty much right on, on a similar vein...when I was in medical school, PDs were actually delusional enough to believe that the reason why med students didnt go into pathology was better marketing for other fields like rads, LMAO. Actually had a very well respected academic tell me students didnt think pathology was an option because it wasnt cool enough, I laughed so hard I spit my mocha on his 3 piece suit. One word: JOBS.

People dont spend the time to train in something if the job prospects are crap.

Yet for some reason, PDs want to pile on more applicants, increase training slots, dump the whole combined graduating medical classes of India and China like somehow that will turn it around! bwahahahahahahahaha.

:laugh:O man, I actually got teary eyed laughing so hard typing this.

anyone remember this legendary thread. It was ladoc at his finest. Andy was an md Phd from mich. Who went to bwh for ap only residency. Not sure why he is banana face now and claims to represent pharm

Still enjoy ladic at his finest. Too bad he doesn't cone around here no more

Daddy, thank baby Jesus Mommy left your no earning power pipet tip loading AP-only ass and got herself a real man, the AP/CP version.

We are SO happy now, how's the empty apartment now that you are ALL alone? Are you real sad Daddy??

because you know what? We dont give a rat's ass you selfish hyperintellectual bastard!

photo_dadsonhug.jpg

This thread was epic for sure.