Ayahuasca: Drug experts, please :-)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Summoning all drug experts. I would love to get your opinions in this vine. I first learned about it in botany and have been fascinated ever since. Note the serotonin nucleus. I do know a number of people who have experimented with it and have compared it to LSD and hallucinogenic mushrooms (weaker than the former, but stronger than the latter).

Claims have been made about its ability to cure depression, cancer, and other illnesses.

Here is a place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca

Also, PLEASE read this account; it will blow your mind!:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0603/features/peru.html

Interestingly, the "drug" has no known long-term effects. However, much of the "research" that has been done on the vine is informal.

Ok, let the discussion begin!

Disclaimer: I have never experimented with drugs, but I have worked in dozens of settings and have come to know MANY people who have; all of them were pretty interesting people!

Thanks, everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

From a medical standpoint, herbals are typically useless in comparison to isolated molecules that illicit a pharmacological effect. Sure, people could smoke opium for pain relief...but giving them a shot of morphine is a better idea. Reviewing the pharmacology of the active compounds in the plant, other pharmaceuticals do the same things...but better...

If people want to use it for recreational purposes, whatever...

Ayahuasca isn't actually a plant; it's a drink prepared from two different plants. The psychoactive ingredient is DMT, which is degraded by MAO in the stomach and is useless orally. The other plant contains an MAO inhibitor so that the DMT can actually go to work.

At least... that's what I remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting comments.

Agree w/ what was said already, DMT or a form of it is the active substance if you want you can pretty easily find places to order DMT-containing plants after which you can the find extraction and consumption procedures if you're into that sort of thing. Nothing mystical about it.

Ayahuasca as prepared contains DMT, Bufotenine, and Harmaline which is the MAOI that allows the other two to pass the GI tract into the blood-brain barrier.

As for side effects, I'd imagine if enough is taken it'd have the same side effects as any MAOI.

This is why Beavis and Butthead were licking the toad :laugh:

Ayahuasca as prepared contains DMT, Bufotenine, and Harmaline which is the MAOI that allows the other two to pass the GI tract into the blood-brain barrier.

As for side effects, I'd imagine if enough is taken it'd have the same side effects as any MAOI.

Bufotenine = Greek for ***** maker....... That's something I would recommend....

I've heard DXM can cause auditory but you'd have to be pretty bored and hard up if taking that is your idea of a good time
Terrible idea, kids in my high school used to do a "robo-trip" aka drink a bottle of tussin dm and act ******ed. They used to swear time was going by much faster than it really was; they'd be checking their watches every 20 seconds and being amazed that it was still the same time. Like its been said already, if you're that desperate for a good time, I'd feel pretty badly for you.

Hmm, are there any hallucinogenics that are NOT illegal?
I don't know for how much longer, but I don't believe Salvia is illegal yet.